Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Klades posted:

So I have a maybe weird question.

I've been using a V60, but just got a french press, and so far I've found that coffee I make with the press tastes a bit better to me. But more oddly, coffee I made in the press still tastes ok once it's gone past lukewarm, whereas coffee from the V60 tastes gross once it's cold.

Does this mean I'm doing something horrifically wrong with the V60?

It's possible. Mess around with ratio - 26g of coffee and 400g of water in 1:45 has always worked well for me. But you might just like an earthier cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I'm of the firm opinion that French press is the only way to make great coffee at any temperature while pour-over is trash.

Aeropress can be good or bad with adjustments.

Espresso is the greatest as long as the blend and roast is good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I'm of the firm opinion that French press is the only way to make great coffee at any temperature while pour-over is trash.

Press pot is unfussy and a reliable way to make a good cup of coffee. Pour-over takes a little finesse but provides a good cup.

I'm not sure why you'd brew at anything but 205°F to be perfectly honest.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Press pot is unfussy and a reliable way to make a good cup of coffee. Pour-over takes a little finesse but provides a good cup.

I'm not sure why you'd brew at anything but 205°F to be perfectly honest.

Cuz you live at elevation and your water boils at 201.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, I'd probably have a low opinion of pour-over at that altitude as well

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bengy81 posted:

Cuz you live at elevation and your water boils at 201.

I wish. 192 degrees here. My Bonavita just shits out crappy coffee, pour over is no answer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, I'd probably have a low opinion of pour-over at that altitude as well

My water boils at 200/201 and I and many other cafes in town can still make pretty good pourover :shrug:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My water boils at 250 and my coffee tastes 25% better than any coffee brewed at 201.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Aeropress can be good or bad with adjustments.

Espresso is the greatest as long as the blend and roast is good.

2/3 isn't bad - but I'll take my vac pot over the press pot any day.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

porktree posted:

2/3 isn't bad - but I'll take my vac pot over the press pot any day.

I need a vac pot, I like my French press, but I'm really tired of all the sediment.

Areopress is great though, my favorite piece of gear currently.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sextro posted:

My water boils at 250 and my coffee tastes 25% better than any coffee brewed at 201.

Yeah I only do pour over in bariatric chambers now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the goon approved affordable vacpot? I'm trying to spread my wings over here alright.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I first heard about the inverted aeropress method I thought it somehow involved sucking the water up instead of pressing it out. Imagine my disappointment.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

What's the goon approved affordable vacpot? I'm trying to spread my wings over here alright.

I have the Yama 5 cup. I think it was $75.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Check ebay for the old Cory or Silex models. I got all mine that way. I think the most I payed was $25. Also look for some glass filter rods. Or Hario.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So for someone looking for a cheap/easy option and have an electric kettle always handy, would a french press or something like a clever coffee drip thing be the better choice? I don't really need to make more than a single medium-large cup of it at once.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Zerilan posted:

So for someone looking for a cheap/easy option and have an electric kettle always handy, would a french press or something like a clever coffee drip thing be the better choice? I don't really need to make more than a single medium-large cup of it at once.

They are both pretty good but kind of different brew styles. I have a French press and I really like it, but I have to dump out a little bit of ever cup or I'm going to end up drink a ton of grit. You can make the clever cup taste pretty similar, but it end up being a little thinner due to the lack of oil and the aforementioned grit.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zerilan posted:

I have both and they both deliver tasty, though different cups of coffee.

French press is slightly harder to clean up, and can have sediment in the coffee - it's awesome.

Pour Over is cleaner and tasty and what I make for work. I carry a v60 kit in a soft cooler back and forth to the sites I visit.

Edit: get both they are cheap.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Are the cheap options for each in the op still the recommended ones or are there other good options that are pretty cheap? Might just get one of each and then buy a second of one if I like it a lot better (one for home one for work).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bengy81 posted:

I have a French press and I really like it, but I have to dump out a little bit of ever cup or I'm going to end up drink a ton of grit.

Why would you pour out the flavor-sand!?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Are the cheap options for each in the op still the recommended ones or are there other good options that are pretty cheap? Might just get one of each and then buy a second of one if I like it a lot better (one for home one for work).

If you're getting a press, I just picked up this one myself and it's pretty nice so far. Rinsing out the filter isn't too terribly time consuming, and while at first I assumed the whole "DOUBLE SCREEN FILTER" was just them throwing buzzwords around, I haven't found any grit in my thermos yet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Klades posted:

If you're getting a press, I just picked up this one myself and it's pretty nice so far. Rinsing out the filter isn't too terribly time consuming, and while at first I assumed the whole "DOUBLE SCREEN FILTER" was just them throwing buzzwords around, I haven't found any grit in my thermos yet.

The Sterling is awful. If you don't completely disassemble it every time you wash it, the dome gets moisture in it (it's two pieces that nest together, you unscrew the nylon nut underneath to get them apart,) and rusts. The carafe holder tends to corrode immediately as well if you put it away with even a hint of moisture on it. Mine lasted about four months.

I did repurpose the double mesh screens to one I got at IKEA for $9, which has been kicking around for almost a year now. The only metal parts are the main shaft, screen (that is essentially interchangable with the Sterling screens,) and the screen base and top. It's not as classy looking, but I can toss the whole thing in the dishwasher without a second thought.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

rockcity posted:

I have the Yama 5 cup. I think it was $75.

Do you have the stovetop or table top version? Does it matter? Stovetop looks more convenient.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Do you have the stovetop or table top version? Does it matter? Stovetop looks more convenient.

Table top. I start with 205 degree water from my kettle, so heating isn't anything I'm concerned about. I just use the alcohol lamp it came with to keep the heat source on during the brew process. You don't want to start with cold water anyways because the water will start to hit the grounds when it's not quite hot enough and it will take too long to all get up into the top chamber. Plus a burner just looks cooler and vac pots are partly about the show anyway.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

MrYenko posted:

The Sterling is awful. If you don't completely disassemble it every time you wash it, the dome gets moisture in it (it's two pieces that nest together, you unscrew the nylon nut underneath to get them apart,) and rusts. The carafe holder tends to corrode immediately as well if you put it away with even a hint of moisture on it. Mine lasted about four months.

I did repurpose the double mesh screens to one I got at IKEA for $9, which has been kicking around for almost a year now. The only metal parts are the main shaft, screen (that is essentially interchangable with the Sterling screens,) and the screen base and top. It's not as classy looking, but I can toss the whole thing in the dishwasher without a second thought.

That's troubling, I hadn't even thought of rust being an issue. Guess you can't actually trust that when they say it's stainless steel that they didn't skimp on half of it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thought it'd be more appropriate to list here: Costco has the Technivorm on sale for $229, which is a pretty good price judging from other sites.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Don't be an amateur, you can get the programmable French press for only $15,000. Currently back ordered until ?? LoL

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Google Butt posted:

I've been using the stovetop 8 cup version for a long, long time (including plenty of replacements...). I have a gas stove, and I like it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How would you describe the brew from a vacuum put in comparison to other brew methods (fp, pour over)?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Klades posted:

That's troubling, I hadn't even thought of rust being an issue. Guess you can't actually trust that when they say it's stainless steel that they didn't skimp on half of it.

Take the plastic interior cap off of the lid.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

How would you describe the brew from a vacuum put in comparison to other brew methods (fp, pour over)?

Somewhere between french press and pourover. It's an immersion brewing method like french press, but you use a finer coffee since the filter for it is either a cloth filter or a finer mesh filter than what is in a french press. You'll end up with a cleaner cup than french press but not quite as clean as a pourover.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Better :). Press pot coffee is chewier and tends towards over extraction. Pour over is less flavorful mainly due to the paper reducing oils. Drink what tastes good to you.

I have an original Cory hot plate I use at work in the morning, at home I use the stove top - glass top stove.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
My wife's coffee machine just kicked the can, it was a K-mix filter coffee machine and with the new baby was really easy for her, looking at the first post it seems like she needs something better for better coffee but in England I'm finding it hard to find the same stuff you recommend, are any of these good and worth getting?

Melitta

Moccamaster

Bonavita

thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The Bonavita and the Moccamaster are the two defacto drip brewers right now. Either one would make a pretty good pot of coffee.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get the Moccamaster if you want people to know you have an expensive coffee pot. Get the Bonavita if you're embarrassed to admit you spent $200 on one.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Guys help me, every time I use my gooseneck kettle to make pourover coffee, all I can think is 'that's the stoner pour talking' and its ruining coffee for me

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dramatika posted:

Guys help me, every time I use my gooseneck kettle to make pourover coffee, all I can think is 'that's the stoner pour talking' and its ruining coffee for me

That video ended any chance of my ever getting into pourover coffee. I associate it with those dudes, and I hate them so gad drat much.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

porktree posted:

Press pot coffee is chewier and tends towards over extraction. Pour over is less flavorful mainly due to the paper reducing oils.

I'm pretty sure that's why I love my french-press coffee, it's so deliciously oily.

My brother-in-law drinks a lot of coffee, but he only ever makes drip coffee. When I told him about the paper filter soaking up all those yummy oils, he told me that he uses a permanent metal mesh filter.

What say the goon hivemind about using mesh filters instead of disposable paper filters?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why I love my french-press coffee, it's so deliciously oily.

My brother-in-law drinks a lot of coffee, but he only ever makes drip coffee. When I told him about the paper filter soaking up all those yummy oils, he told me that he uses a permanent metal mesh filter.

What say the goon hivemind about using mesh filters instead of disposable paper filters?

It'll definitely filter less oils out, but you won't end up with the same thing as french press. It's still a pourover vs. immersion brew method. I've yet to try pourover with a mesh filter, but I have a find mesh filter for my vac pot and I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Paper filters definitely steal your lovely oils, but the mesh ones, from my observations, give a nice cup provided the beans are fairly oily to begin with. Drier beans still end up with a blander cup, closer to a normal paper filter.

This however, is just my observation based on using my parents' metal mesh filtered machine. I'd still go French press for ultimate taste and mouth feel.