Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't like that its hinting at a PSP game I'll likely never play. Is the Crisis in Liberl Trails in the Sky? I'm so confused with all of these places.

Also I started on Hard and all it expects is for you to know the tricks of combat ahead of time or else you gotta grind. Oh yeah and is there a level limit to the first Cold Steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, Cold Steel 2 ends on a cliffhanger too? The Japanese fans must have been pissed, since CS3 was only just announced.

I feel a deep level of nervousness in that we aren't going to get CS3, and be left in the west with a cliffhanger worse than any in gaming history.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'm starting Cold Steel today - how hard is Hard? I've heard people say play on Hard but will it gently caress me in spots?

I'm sorry I can't speak to Hard, but Normal has been fairly easy so far with the main factor in most combats being "Can I get Advantage?" Regular enemies can often be beaten without ever getting a turn. On the other hand, whenever I slip up and let enemies get Advantage the group gets pretty well messed up. I'm into Chapter 6 and there are a couple bosses that have taken multiple tries for me to beat, especially in the old schoolhouse.

Crabtree posted:

I don't like that its hinting at a PSP game I'll likely never play. Is the Crisis in Liberl Trails in the Sky? I'm so confused with all of these places.

Yes.

Trails in the Sky FC and SC are on Steam too just fyi

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh I know, they're sitting on my backlog. I'm talking about this Zero stuff that's also in the mix and apparently in Steel 2?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crabtree posted:

Oh I know, they're sitting on my backlog. I'm talking about this Zero stuff that's also in the mix and apparently in Steel 2?

Liberl stuff is Trails in the Sky, Zero is Crossbell (I think). Each Trails series focuses on a specific kingdom in the world. Not having played Cold Steel I'm not sure how they do it, but TitS is very much all about the world building.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cold Steel has had tons of worldbuilding, mostly focused on Erebonia.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

I feel a deep level of nervousness in that we aren't going to get CS3, and be left in the west with a cliffhanger worse than any in gaming history.

Ah, I was wondering where your pessimism went.

Apparently the preorders for this were ridiculously good (for XSEED, anyway), so I'm not.

Crabtree posted:

Depending on how well this sells (see above), we might get Zero anyway so...

Levantine posted:

Liberl stuff is Trails in the Sky, Zero is Crossbell (I think). Each Trails series focuses on a specific kingdom in the world. Not having played Cold Steel I'm not sure how they do it, but TitS is very much all about the world building.

This is Trails, it's pretty much World Building: The Video Game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

I'm sorry I can't speak to Hard, but Normal has been fairly easy so far with the main factor in most combats being "Can I get Advantage?" Regular enemies can often be beaten without ever getting a turn. On the other hand, whenever I slip up and let enemies get Advantage the group gets pretty well messed up. I'm into Chapter 6 and there are a couple bosses that have taken multiple tries for me to beat, especially in the old schoolhouse.

Also thanks for this, I think I'll stick to Normal. If I do end up doing a second playthrough (unlikely unless I just love the game beyond all reason) I'll kick it up to Nightmare on NG+ though.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Slur posted:

Seeing that it's you saying this, I'm confident we're now certain to get CS3 since the universe has shown a consistent desire to prove your pessimism wrong time and again. Please don't ever change.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is it wrong to want to see the Bracers not be so nice and benevolent of an organization? They almost seem too good to exist. Like how the Goddess Church makes sure to make basic elementary education go through them or seemingly provide the medical needs for commoners making sure people need to depend on the church for things in this now more orbital world. Sure is easy to make people believe when you're hooking them in young and making them depend on you.

Or is that just in the Empire?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 1, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Crabtree posted:

Is it wrong to want to see the Bracers not be so nice and benevolent of an organization? They almost seem too good to exist.

That would be counter the point of Bracers.

... so of course Bracers like that exist.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crabtree posted:

Is it wrong to want to see the Bracers not be so nice and benevolent of an organization? They almost seem too good to exist.

That's why they were created and organized. TitS goes into it. They are a civilian counterpoint to the military designed only to help people in need in ways the military isn't interested in. Cassius is just a total badass that way.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

That's why they were created and organized. TitS goes into it. They are a civilian counterpoint to the military designed only to help people in need in ways the military isn't interested in. Cassius is just a total badass that way.

This isn't entirely accurate. It's more to say things that the military doesn't have the resources to go do. There's plenty of jobs they tend to do that the Military is supposed to be doing, but simply don't have the time. They're essentially a civilian police force. Except more beholden to the people than the state.

Which is why you actually are police in Zero/Ao, I suppose.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Levantine posted:

Supremezero posted:

This isn't entirely accurate. It's more to say things that the military doesn't have the resources to go do. There's plenty of jobs they tend to do that the Military is supposed to be doing, but simply don't have the time. They're essentially a civilian police force. Except more beholden to the people than the state.

Which is why you actually are police in Zero/Ao, I suppose.

Now I'm even more worried as government police can be problematic enough, but a civilian militia like law enforcement group? I've never met one local militia that's entirely clean especially in a world full of greys like The Legend of Heroes, let alone an International guild. :tinfoil:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crabtree posted:

Now I'm even more worried as government police can be problematic enough, but a civilian militia like law enforcement group? I've never met one local militia that's entirely clean especially in a world full of greys like The Legend of Heroes, let alone an International guild. :tinfoil:

They aren't really police in that they don't keep law and order; rather they are more the people who take care of issues that bother civilians. It's hard to think of an analog really. They help cats out of trees, get recipes for old ladies, stuff like that. They are just Quality of Life folks I guess. But bottom line is they are pretty benevolent.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
More to the point, they don't really get any particular power to abuse. They don't get much in the way of authority. If they have power to abuse, it's their own personal power, which has little to do with being a Bracer. They pretty much just get reputation.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Ah, I was wondering where your pessimism went.

Apparently the preorders for this were ridiculously good (for XSEED, anyway), so I'm not.

Source please.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

Source please.

XSEED forums.

Uh, lets see...

quote:

That probably is the case, but that's pretty much par for the course -- our games generally only get a very small number of shelf copies in retail space, if any at all (especially in non-major locations). Preorders really are our life's blood, in a lot of ways.

Fortunately, this game did seem to preorder pretty well.

-Tom

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

oh my god

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Well, my body is ready for zero someday. I can settle with the amount of good characters in cold steel right now anyway. :unsmigghh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm still pretty early into CS (Chapter 2 field study), but one thing has been driving me crazy.

With the changes to the ARCUS system, do orbment lines matter at all?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

I'm still pretty early into CS (Chapter 2 field study), but one thing has been driving me crazy.

With the changes to the ARCUS system, do orbment lines matter at all?

Yes, surprisingly. They modified the status quartz to be one per line now instead of 1 period. So you can stack as many status quartz as you have lines. Same with stat down quartz, though they count separately from the status quartz.

Ironically, this means that the superior setup is now lots of branches instead of the 1 single line that it used to be.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Yes, surprisingly. They modified the status quartz to be one per line now instead of 1 period. So you can stack as many status quartz as you have lines. Same with stat down quartz, though they count separately from the status quartz.

Ironically, this means that the superior setup is now lots of branches instead of the 1 single line that it used to be.

you do get more EP for having longer lines though. so basically casters are better served with less, long lines like before, but now physical people benefit from having lots of branches

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Holy poo poo the max-level Force quartz absolutely destroys. I wanted to avoid "wasting" any XP, but what's going to compare to infinite S-Breaks as long as you can keep getting at least four kills?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the most overpowered thing is still chrono burst

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Really Pants posted:

Holy poo poo the max-level Force quartz absolutely destroys. I wanted to avoid "wasting" any XP, but what's going to compare to infinite S-Breaks as long as you can keep getting at least four kills?

Chrono Burst + Moebius. The final upgrade for Moebius gives items an AoE.

Including Food.

Yeah.

Force gets you infinite S-breaks as long as you have 4 things you can oneshot. Chrono Burst + Moebius gives you infinite S-Breaks (And whatever else you feel like) as long as your items hold out.

Chrono Burst + Machias is pretty good too, since as far as I can tell, his final Craft is simply an AoE Chrono Burst.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 1, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

YO ANGELICA'S S CRAFT IS A KAMEN RIDER KICK

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaggitz posted:

YO ANGELICA'S S CRAFT IS A KAMEN RIDER KICK

I don't even care that you didn't use spoiler tags, that's loving awesome.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supremezero posted:

Chrono Burst + Moebius. The final upgrade for Moebius gives items an AoE.

Including Food.

Yeah.

Force gets you infinite S-breaks as long as you have 4 things you can oneshot. Chrono Burst + Moebius gives you infinite S-Breaks (And whatever else you feel like) as long as your items hold out.

Chrono Burst + Machias is pretty good too, since as far as I can tell, his final Craft is simply an AoE Chrono Burst.

Okay, that does sound neat. Now that I think about it, I guess ending regular encounters with a free Flame Slash isn't all that much better than the usual Triple Advantage curbstomp.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is Principal VanDyck ever a party member? Can I just hear him make old man jokes constantly?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I beat the game. I felt like you could trim a good 20 hours off of that game for just general pacing improvements, but I generally really enjoyed it and the ending was rad though bleak as gently caress.

Best new characters: Fie, Sara, Laura, Angelica, Patrick somehow????

Best character: Still Olivier.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, having just finished Chapter 4, I must say that the final boss of the chapter(actual final boss, not the other "fight") seemed incredibly easy. Didn't even pull out any S-Crafts, just hacked it to death, mostly with normal attacks, with Resounding Beat support. It's breath AoE missed a LOT, even before I ended up just spreading everyone out.

As for the final "fight", I'll agree with Cake Attack and say C is definitely Crow. You don't give someone a mask and voice changer in this type of game and NOT have it be someone the party knows. Especially since they apparently just use the first letter of their real names for their codes, and he's basically the only c.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Let's take this thread back into trails in the sky territory to discuss Joshua and Cassius for a moment.

Right at the beginning of SC, Cassius tells Estelle that he was almost killed by Joshua when they fought. Yet at the end of FC, Joshua had a very different version of that story to tell, and that version seems to fit a lot better with what we're shown at the beginning of that game.

I think what Cassius meant was that Joshua almost got the drop on him, and he believes that if that had been the case, he would have died. It didn't and he was able to defeat Joshua because he was a much stronger fighter. This would be consistent with a comment Joshua makes later in SC (chapter 6 I think)regarding his chances of winning against Loewe in a straight fight being almost nil.

That's the explanation I came up with, but I'm interested in hearing others ideas.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That's the generally accepted explanation. Both are true. Joshua's specialty is striking from the shadows and he has a tremendous advantage against targets are that unaware of him. But it's stated several times in SC that once he loses that advantage and is forced into the open, he's one of the weaker enforcers. Basically Joshua got the drop on Cassius and came close to striking a killing blow, but Cassius was able to regain his footing in time to turn the assassination attempt into a straight fight, which made Joshua's loss a forgone conclusion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

Best new characters: Fie, Sara, Laura, Angelica, Patrick somehow????

Best character: Still Olivier.

this list is mostly good except where's Towa

e: and Elliot, just for the line "It wouldn't be a proper field study without one of us getting embarrassed about our family."

Death Priest posted:

Let's take this thread back into trails in the sky territory to discuss Joshua and Cassius for a moment.

Right at the beginning of SC, Cassius tells Estelle that he was almost killed by Joshua when they fought. Yet at the end of FC, Joshua had a very different version of that story to tell, and that version seems to fit a lot better with what we're shown at the beginning of that game.

I think what Cassius meant was that Joshua almost got the drop on him, and he believes that if that had been the case, he would have died. It didn't and he was able to defeat Joshua because he was a much stronger fighter. This would be consistent with a comment Joshua makes later in SC (chapter 6 I think)regarding his chances of winning against Loewe in a straight fight being almost nil.

That's the explanation I came up with, but I'm interested in hearing others ideas.

That's also in line with what the Enforcers think of him. They talk about how Joshua's their best covert operative, or how he's only good at striking from the shadows, etc.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 2, 2016

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Speaking of Cassius, my favourite moment of Trails in the Sky SC (among many), spoilers for the ending of SC is him coming to Estelle and Joshua's rescue on top of a fuckin dragon! . Nobody in Cold Steel is as cool as Cassius yet, though I am only at Chapter 4. He still got the coolest nickname, the Divine Blade, you can keep your Icy Maiden and/or Scarecrow.

Best new characters are Fie, Laura, Gaius and Rean, tho.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

davidHalestorm posted:

Speaking of Cassius, my favourite moment of Trails in the Sky SC (among many), spoilers for the ending of SC is him coming to Estelle and Joshua's rescue on top of a fuckin dragon! . Nobody in Cold Steel is as cool as Cassius yet, though I am only at Chapter 4. He still got the coolest nickname, the Divine Blade, you can keep your Icy Maiden and/or Scarecrow.

Best new characters are Fie, Laura, Gaius and Rean, tho.

Cassius is still spoken of in high terms even in Erebonia, but his nickname gets demistified a bit. Divine blade is a title given to any one who has mastered the Eight Leaves sword style, they even mention the bracer from Crossbell who's in Zero/Ao is a Divine blade.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm going to play the first game in the LoH: Ghargav trilogy, or the third Legend of Heroes game overall.

or, as it is known in america, Legend of Heroes II.

lol

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

i'm going to play the first game in the LoH: Ghargav trilogy, or the third Legend of Heroes game overall.

lol

Or, as it's known in America, "how do I read this text".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

lol

Why are you doing this to yourself?