Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Augus posted:

The gameplay will probably still be good so I consider it good news.
And the story has pretty much nowhere to go but up

Don't jinx it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Don't jinx it!

Hey, it could go sideways!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sue posted:

Seems like they were successful enough to warrant a sequel.

I consider this bad news, but in case you're looking forward to more furry fanfiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAYtSUfW0c

http://www.sonicretro.org/2015/12/a-thing/

I wonder what it's like to be so dull that a mildly stupid story ruins one of the better platformers to come out of the year. I am SO looking forward to this poo poo and you can't stop me.

that trailer looks hella anime though and if they decision they made with the plot was to go even dumber then I am on board because I rather it just be maximum anime than the current state where its just sort of tonally incongruous.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Oh god there's even more voiced characters. :gonk:

Still gonna get it though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Sue posted:

Seems like they were successful enough to warrant a sequel.

I consider this bad news, but in case you're looking forward to more furry fanfiction:

Good thing people are forcing you to read such fanfic. I mean come on now. There's always going to be bad fanfiction about anything. Or do you just scour fanfiction.net just to get upset and refuse to play games because someone wrote something dumb?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The guy who did the mobile and PC ports of Sonic is doing the engine. This can only be good news.

I am super excited for this. I don't even mind the art style change; in fact I agree with them that the series needs to do its own thing here.

It needs a better logo is my only complaint. The original's was brilliant. New one tries to be too shiny.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SupSuper posted:

Oh god there's even more voiced characters. :gonk:

Still gonna get it though.

Something that's interesting is that Christopher Sabat (i.e. VEGETA) is listed as the voice director and as an actor!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If every character in the sequel were voiced by Sabat, I might start paying attention. We can't have that.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
They said there will be a no cutscene mode, so that makes me happy.

I don't know if this game has an actual writer on the development team, but that would be the first place to look.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'd settle for an editor.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Iunnrais posted:

I'd settle for an editor.

Given how thoroughly we've beaten the horse over it I'm inclined to agree; since they don't plan to crowdfund this one I'm wondering what their budget's going to be like and if they'll consider an editor essential if they decide they need to trim the fat.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It looks like they're getting good voicework and talent behind this so I think a publisher picked them up. We'll probably see more quality stuff... Hopefully.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I'm late to the party hearing this news, but boy did I enjoy the first game. I miss the influx of platformers I used to get for Christmas when I was a kid.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I wonder what this means for the missing content for the first game though. Given how it's constantly postponed, I'm not holding my breath.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SupSuper posted:

I wonder what this means for the missing content for the first game though. Given how it's constantly postponed, I'm not holding my breath.

Added as "bonus" content in the second game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SupSuper posted:

About half of Torque's levels just launched alongside Milla's adventure mode in a beta patch two days ago. When they say "beta" though, they really mean beta that poo poo is not finished and crashes and softlocks all over the place.

Torque's pretty entertaining though even if he is slow as poo poo. Milla's cutscenes really do not add anything aside from maybe the second one which adds a tiny amount to her character but other than that, it's more or less the same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i mean at least it'll be less creepily furry than an elysian tail

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

i mean at least it'll be less creepily furry than an elysian tail

dunno I would go to bat for Dust's story being world's better than Freedom Planet's even if the character designs of that game could not scream furry louder if they tried

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
But is that really a pissing match you wanna get into? It's still not really a very good story.

And I could write a whole essay about the unique ways each game failed writing-wise and how I'd improve them, but I don't want to right now.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

But is that really a pissing match you wanna get into? It's still not really a very good story.

No, not in the least for sure. Just Dust's at least wasn't hugely intrusive on the kind of game that it was and also wasn't completely tonally inconsistent. Both games have the same issue though of attempting something resembling a serious plot with character designs like that which I'm pretty sure is a losing game because ain't nobody taking that poo poo seriously.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It can be done, actually, the Archie comics were doing a pretty good job of it for a while there, I haven't checked up recently to see if they're still doing okay; and for that matter I am going to have to start a fight with you over Who Framed Roger Rabbit if you're gonna stick to your guns on this one. The main advantage of an exaggerated visual style is expressiveness; you can't tell me that someone who knows what they're doing can't use that to make emotional moments more powerful the same way Bob McKimson used it to make funny moments funnier. I would say whether or not a story that explores heavier themes works with a cartoonish visual style is about 25% whether or not the writers and the artists went the extra mile to make a story that's actively better with that particular aesthetic (see: Okami) and 75% whether or not the story stands on its own regardless of what it looks like. Like, the stories wouldn't have been any better in a different visual style, I wouldn't be taking it any more seriously if it looked like L. A. Noire or something; if I wrote that essay I said I don't really want to it'd be pretty much identical either way, except probably the hypothetical gritty visuals version would have considerably more complaining about how the small flying animal/underage girls were sexualized to hell and back when they really, really shouldn't be (I admit this isn't giving Strife or Dodrill much credit, but, well...yeah no that's it I'm kinda not giving them much credit on this one).

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Someone change the thread name to "For the love of God watch me talking about how I dislike the story mode! Let's Play Freedom Planet".

Because geez...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah we get it. Quite a few people don't like Story Mode. It's harmless and there is a no story mode there for people that don't like it.

No one here is going to deny that the music and gameplay is pretty great and that is what mainly matters.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Someone change the thread name to "For the love of God watch me talking about how I dislike the story mode! Let's Play Freedom Planet".

Because geez...
I'd be lying if half the reason I made this LP wasn't for the sweet schadenfreude. But don't fret, we only got the most controversial part of the game to go! :unsmigghh:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Negrostrike posted:

Because geez...

Yeah personal taste and all but I like it when LPs have at least a little bit of love for the game in question.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Actually I was talking about the people posting about it. Ok, I get it you all don't like the story but wow settle down a bit.
I agree 100% it's pretty awkward but it ain't that aggravating. The rest of the game totally make up for it in my opinion, especially music.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I like this game, story and all. :shobon:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Katsuma posted:

I like this game, story and all. :shobon:
moooooooooooooooooods?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

mycot posted:

Yeah personal taste and all but I like it when LPs have at least a little bit of love for the game in question.
It's true I can't bear to play it even once.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Anyways you will be glad to know this update has less plot more gameplay.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Weird observation that I don't know if anyone's mentioned/noticed before: the fire shield does touch damage to enemies. The window where you're close enough to take advantage of it without getting hit yourself is pretty small but I thought it was an interesting decision all the same.

Enemy health is kind of my one complaint, gameplay-wise. These guys are more like Mega Man enemies than Sonic the Hedgehog enemies, you know, designed around thinking carefully and planning and attacking from a distance.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 2, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, the game always felt like a Mega Man Zero game with Sonic physics (or at least Zero in Mega Man X4), so that isn't a huge complaint on my end.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I never got the combat complaints people had about this game. You can just run pass most non-boss enemies (thanks to the lack of contact damage) and the game fully expects you to do this a lot of the time. And Lilac's moveset is pretty well-geared towards dispatching enemies efficiently.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Augus posted:

I never got the combat complaints people had about this game. You can just run pass most non-boss enemies (thanks to the lack of contact damage) and the game fully expects you to do this a lot of the time. And Lilac's moveset is pretty well-geared towards dispatching enemies efficiently.

It's mostly those soldiers that feel way too tanky for their damage output to me. However that is less of a problem for Lilac as she can combo the poo poo out of things faster than Carol can kill things with or without Carol's special moves.

Even the final boss dies much faster to stringing together Lilac's Dive kicks and uppercuts and double jumps, than putting in 120% effort with Carol :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 2, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Section Z posted:

Even the final boss dies much faster to stringing together Lilac's Dive kicks and uppercuts and double jumps, than putting in 120% effort with Carol :v:

Carol's kill is like maybe a second slower at optimal speeds?

edit: that is very obviously a link to the final boss don't click if for some reason you care about spoilers I didn't really think about that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

edit: that is very obviously a link to the final boss don't click if for some reason you care about spoilers I didn't really think about that

Haha wow I wish my super kick did that much damage to him around launch. Then again I can't spam her big swipes mid air that fast myself either.

Literally half my deaths in my Carol run were from something shortly before that particular moment, Which I killed with Lilac in less than a minute taking minimal damage through the wonders of double jumping :downs:

EDIT: Honestly, even some of the super easy bosses in this game which didn't even hit me playing Carol had me thinking "Ugh, this would be going so much faster if I could just double jump up and hit them like Lilac." instead of waiting for them to come down to me, or hoping they got into a spot a wall jump attack would reach.

On the bright side, going through the actual stages with Carol was a hell of a lot more fun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 2, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Augus posted:

If you're expected to skip them why put them there in the first place? :shrug:

The aliens are the biggest culprit, because not only does the game expect you to just run past them in the last levels, they're the only enemy that actively chases you around to keep you from doing so.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SupSuper posted:

If you're expected to skip them why put them there in the first place? :shrug:

They are obstacles that you need to navigate around or through. You either kill them quickly and efficiently or you bypass them while avoiding their attacks.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think my problem is that I'm experiencing flashbacks to the multi-hit enemies from Sonic Heroes and Sonic '06. Certainly the lack of both contact damage and a need to kill enemies mitigates things here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Trigger warning: plot

• Locked thread