Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

nothing to seehere posted:

And this is why we can't have nice things.

We get nice things regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what kinda references will Stellaris have? If there isn't an option to mitigate the outrage of the destruction of a sentient pre-spaceflight species by putting the plans for your space superhighway on display in the next system, I'll be disappointed.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Wiz posted:

You opted into a beta patch that we explicitly said had not been QA'd and was at your own risk, dude.

I'll try to update it this week.

No need to update on my behalf, I'm still spending all my time on Cossacks.

I'm just poking fun at you guys, you're the best.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wiz posted:

You opted into a beta patch that we explicitly said had not been QA'd and was at your own risk, dude.

I'll try to update it this week.

You have time to give lip, you have time to update.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is it weird that I don't want to use any FTL options besides node lanes in Stellaris? Because node lanes are cool and makes terrain matter. You can set up choke points and fortify key systems along the lanes of your empire and it neatly segments core and frontier worlds. I hope it's possible to set the game up in such a way that everyone uses them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Demiurge4 posted:

Is it weird that I don't want to use any FTL options besides node lanes in Stellaris? Because node lanes are cool and makes terrain matter. You can set up choke points and fortify key systems along the lanes of your empire and it neatly segments core and frontier worlds. I hope it's possible to set the game up in such a way that everyone uses them.

It's weird but only because the game isn't even close to out yet so none of us really have any idea which of the FTL options will be good/balanced/etc. or how they will really play out at all. Slow down there, champ.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Has China always had a -6000% influence penalty because of population or is that new? Is there just never any way to sphere China now?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jackson Taus posted:

Has China always had a -6000% influence penalty because of population or is that new? Is there just never any way to sphere China now?

I believe this was added with HoD. It was basically just a band-aid for the "somebody spheres China, RIP world economy" problem, albeit a very very powerful band-aid.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You can still sphere them via war though. I did it once. Just be prepared to kill literally a million Chinese men and feel like a monster for your efforts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I sphered them as Japan by war as well (also got manchukuo and a shitton of reparations)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What does having something in your sphere actually do?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gort posted:

Feels really good. You get first bat at their resources too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gort posted:

If any country is part of another country’s Sphere of Influence, a portion of its Internal Market is joined with its master country and all other members of that Sphere of Influence, making a larger and more versatile Internal Market. Goods produced in one country may be purchased by the other without Tariffs and before the Demand from higher Prestige buyers on the World Market can buy them away.
Provides prestige when a nation is added to your sphere of influence
Nations that are sphered are likely to respond to all diplomatic requests, such as alliances and military access.
Enables some unification events and decisions.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's essentially diplomatic puppeting that can be broken by other GPs through their diplomacy. Very handy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if you sphered every other nation in the world? Would it just be equivalent to the world market without anyone being in anyone's sphere, then?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

DrSunshine posted:

What if you sphered every other nation in the world? Would it just be equivalent to the world market without anyone being in anyone's sphere, then?

Save the other 7 GPs getting screwed, yeah

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You'd make it impossible to play as a smaller sphered nation because nobody could crank tariffs to fund expansion/westernization.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

uPen posted:

You'd make it impossible to play as a smaller sphered nation because nobody could crank tariffs to fund expansion/westernization.

This. This is the worst part of being sphered.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eskaton posted:

Just crank all your diplo points to get out.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

uPen posted:

tag IMF

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

1945 - 2010 game has a DLC where you can play as nongovernment international entities.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

1945 - 2010 game has a DLC where you can play as nongovernment international entities.

The converter from that game to Stellaris will create reptilian races from any world entity of that nature.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Eskaton posted:

It is also the worst part of sphering someone you import from. Being a great power does not mean you never have to rely on tariffs, and if you sphere someone you're importing from that's a good chunk of your state income gone.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is Wiz's beta patch mostly stable, or am I going to find things bugged out if I jump back in for a try and take over Asia as China game?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is Wiz's beta patch mostly stable, or am I going to find things bugged out if I jump back in for a try and take over Asia as China game?

CTA's seem a bit off, but otherwise its fine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've heard of a crash that happens when a World War starts, and that can very well be out of the player's control, so you might find yourself in a game you can't continue, but World Wars are pretty late.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I haven't noticed any CTDs but there are a few too many errant bugs for my liking. (From my 20 minutes play so far: lotsa diplomatic stuff is hosed up at the moment -- allies never accept CTAs, even defensive ones, and you can never give or get military access manually, so stomping rebels in your sphere is impossible.) I'd hold off; Wiz said he'd be on it after Christmas, so I would expect another week or so for the fixes.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Vicky 2 still doesn't have an icon on Steam. I am le sad.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That loving panhandle :argh:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nome or war!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is not what was meant by "54-40 or fight"!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Looks like the annexation of Canada started a little early.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Looks like Canada sprung a leak :ohdear:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oddly enough, I did the exact same thing in my USA game (gently caress you UK for cockblocking me in Mexico early on :argh: ) and apart from steadily worsening relations it doesn't seem to have an effect. I was also able to colonize the rest of the Yukon and half of Alaska without issue and got the Seward's Icebox event to fire later on. too.

The UK seems to have a shitload of troops in Canada now for some reason though - like they can match me in terms of sheer numbers of troops. I don't remember them being able to do that before; unless they literally have every loving pop as a soldier.

On an unrelated note, I am looking forward to the dev diaries for Stellaris and HOI4 to resume soon, as well as World War Wednesday.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Make the little province between the claimed British Columbia and Alberta British and it would fix this problem.

And possibly, make it so UK/Canada can buy Alaska if the yanks don't want it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oddly enough, I did the exact same thing in my USA game (gently caress you UK for cockblocking me in Mexico early on :argh: ) and apart from steadily worsening relations it doesn't seem to have an effect. I was also able to colonize the rest of the Yukon and half of Alaska without issue and got the Seward's Icebox event to fire later on. too.

There was a crisis over Alberta, and later the UK went to war over the Yukon. It didn't work. Nothing can stop the horror.

Does anyone know why the US would get cores on two provinces in Chihuahua?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I tried to do this in my own USA game yesterday and ended up starting a crisis war. USA, France, Russia, Austria v. UK, Prussia, Ottoman Empire. We lost because the UK keeps like 60,000 troops in Canada in 1845.

Also, Wiz et. al., this is probably way beyond the scope of what you guys are doing for this patch, but would it be possible to add a third level to the event system? There are still some annoying USA events that are triggered per-province and it would be nice if they were per-state.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

There was a crisis over Alberta, and later the UK went to war over the Yukon. It didn't work. Nothing can stop the horror.

Does anyone know why the US would get cores on two provinces in Chihuahua?

That one event from Nationalism & Imperialism gives cores on provinces that border existing cores, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GrossMurpel posted:

That one event from Nationalism & Imperialism gives cores on provinces that border existing cores, right?

I don't recall any events like that being in the game (the base game anyway). Manifest Destiny just covers what is part of the United States as we know them today, they don't add any part of Mexico. All I can think of is two territories that technically belong to Texas being under the control of Mexico at the beginning of the game - Laredo and El Paso(?) - and if you annex Texas they become cores for the USA and can be reacquired once Manifest Destiny fires if you didn't grab them earlier.

Only other thing I can can think of is that if you controlled them long enough, and tool control before there was really anyone living there, they will eventually become "yours" once enough people from your accepted culture live there.