Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Quick question: should I be worried that none of my references have been contacted when I submitted my QEP on Nov. 19th? Did State contact your references a couple of months after submission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
They won't contact anyone until after the OA. I'd expect QEP results to be soon though.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

Nutrimentia posted:

They won't contact anyone until after the OA. I'd expect QEP results to be soon though.

You're talking about background check references. Plenty of people are contacted as QEP verifiers. But it isn't indicative if you pass or not. Nothing to worry about.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

QuackAttackAggie posted:

You're talking about background check references. Plenty of people are contacted as QEP verifiers. But it isn't indicative if you pass or not. Nothing to worry about.

Oh, okay, thanks.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?
Well, looks like I spoke too soon...

HR had to pull back my invitation to the January class today because apparently my clearance isn't done yet. I'm still not sure how the heck I managed to pass the final review board, get on the register, AND get an invite, without the clearance being done. The worst thing is in the time since I got the invite (back before Thanksgiving), I had already notified my work, booked an apartment, begun submitting all the on boarding paperwork I had received, etc.. I mean, there are no words. I've dealt with some pretty terrible HR departments in my nearly a decade of working for the federal government, but this is on another level. I don't even know what to do, all she told me is she hopes DS finishes before the invites for the next class in April come down, and now I get to spend an unknown amount of time at a job where everyone knows I'm leaving.... awesome.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

That really, really sucks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
:gonk:

As bad as HR can be, I think that is the worst HR story I've heard to date. So sorry that happened to you. I would be livid.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
Oh no.

Someone at HR should seriously be disciplined for that. And what about the Final Review Panel? How did they even let your case go forward to begin with?

:nono:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tyro posted:

:gonk:

As bad as HR can be, I think that is the worst HR story I've heard to date. So sorry that happened to you. I would be livid.

Yup

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
I would normally say that is absurd and absolutely unbelievable but knowing how horrendous HR intake is I'm not entirely surprised. I would be furious and demand some kind of explanation, as this is seriously negatively impacting your finances/life. I'm not sure what the rules are since you're not "in" yet but maybe you could reach out to AFSA for guidance on what can be done and look into potentially filing a Foreign Service Grievance Board complaint (https://www.fsgb.gov/) now or when you're in.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?
Unfortunately I doubt I have any kind of recourse here. The last thing I want to do is piss of the HR rep. At least now they're kind of indebted to me as they were the ones that screwed up, and have promised me that they will contact DS every week to follow up on my application.

It was just a really terrible feeling getting that rug pulled out from under me on Friday, hopefully nobody else here has to go through that. The only silver lining here is that my wife is due to go into labor in the middle of March. Now I'll be free to take some paternity leave and spend time with her and the baby, which I would not have been able to do if I was at FSI in training... so there's that :toot:

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Hungry Hippo posted:

Well, looks like I spoke too soon...

HR intake can be pretty wacky sometimes. I am really really sorry.

Hopefully you get into the next class and this will just be a crazy HR story you can keep in your back pocket.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Hungry Hippo posted:

Unfortunately I doubt I have any kind of recourse here. The last thing I want to do is piss of the HR rep. At least now they're kind of indebted to me as they were the ones that screwed up, and have promised me that they will contact DS every week to follow up on my application.

It was just a really terrible feeling getting that rug pulled out from under me on Friday, hopefully nobody else here has to go through that. The only silver lining here is that my wife is due to go into labor in the middle of March. Now I'll be free to take some paternity leave and spend time with her and the baby, which I would not have been able to do if I was at FSI in training... so there's that :toot:

So bummed to hear this. Sorry, I know it must be super frustrating. I hope they square it away soon. Once again, be proactive. Follow up and keep your issue near the top of their list. They OWE you and they know it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, jesus. Sorry to hear that. Maybe things at work will normalize eventually?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

QuackAttackAggie posted:

It was a few years ago now but no one was contacted prior to my OA either.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

Nutrimentia posted:

It was a few years ago now but no one was contacted prior to my OA either.

It seems like a very small percentage have anybody called.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Hungry Hippo posted:

by the by, most FSI teachers are cool with small amounts of paternity leave if it's urgent. maybe not during the initial A-100 period (there's some you can't and don't want to miss) but for the IMS area people were generally flexible.

Your CDO may tell you that you can't miss a loving day (to include childbirth), but they're just doing their job. :haw:

It Depends, really.

Seebee
Mar 13, 2004
Thanks for this thread and all the information. I have been following it for a few months now and decided to go ahead and register to take the test. Hardest part was deciding which track to choose from, so I just went for Political. Time to start listening to NPR again to help prep for the test!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Anyone have any direct experience or secondhand knowledge about working in INR?

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Nutrimentia posted:

Anyone have any direct experience or secondhand knowledge about working in INR?

Any specific questions? I don't work in INR but have had a lot of interactions with it.

If you can get a job in INR I would absolutely take it. One of the best regarded analytic sections within the intelligence community, and people tend to stay within INR a long time which is probably a good indicator of workplace morale.

The main benefit of INR is that it is a really short path from the analyst to the principal. INR has far fewer layers of bureaucracy than the other major agencies, so the distance between you and an Assistant Secretary or Under Secretary is minimal.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Happydayz posted:

Any specific questions? I don't work in INR but have had a lot of interactions with it.

If you can get a job in INR I would absolutely take it. One of the best regarded analytic sections within the intelligence community, and people tend to stay within INR a long time which is probably a good indicator of workplace morale.

The main benefit of INR is that it is a really short path from the analyst to the principal. INR has far fewer layers of bureaucracy than the other major agencies, so the distance between you and an Assistant Secretary or Under Secretary is minimal.

Concur with all of the above. There are few vacancies in the regional offices, and because it's one of the most desired IC slots there's exceptionally slow promotions up the GS scale. Based on experience of friends who've applied, it seems that it's almost impossible to get in the door without veterans preference...

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014
I may have to give up this life eventually, but I'm sure I'll miss it. I love this job, my housing, weekend travel, all of it. But I do miss home.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

QuackAttackAggie posted:

I may have to give up this life eventually, but I'm sure I'll miss it. I love this job, my housing, weekend travel, all of it. But I do miss home.

I've actually thought about staying on the Civil Service side of State and abandoning my Foreign Service candidacy for this very reason. I love my bureau, and I love my DASdom within my bureau. And I love the stability of knowing I will be in Washington instead of wondering if I'll be sent off to Turkmenistan in two years.

What was the tipping point for you?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

QuackAttackAggie posted:

7 years in 30 something countries seen... I love this and I could easily do a career, my wife on the other hand...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

zzonkmiles posted:

I've actually thought about staying on the Civil Service side of State and abandoning my Foreign Service candidacy for this very reason. I love my bureau, and I love my DASdom within my bureau. And I love the stability of knowing I will be in Washington instead of wondering if I'll be sent off to Turkmenistan in two years.

Yeah, this and my girlfriend are the biggest reasons why I'm considering Civil Service.

But now she came back from a semester abroad in Vienna and says she loves it there. It's good for her field too.

And so now I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't suppose you goons have any advice?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Artificer posted:

Yeah, this and my girlfriend are the biggest reasons why I'm considering Civil Service.

But now she came back from a semester abroad in Vienna and says she loves it there. It's good for her field too.

And so now I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't suppose you goons have any advice?

Will working in AF or Central Asia be okay for her career? What I'm getting at, is it's difficult to do an entire FS career in Western EUR.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TCD posted:

Will working in AF or Central Asia be okay for her career? What I'm getting at, is it's difficult to do an entire FS career in Western EUR.

Africa? Probably not.

I suppose I should consider alternatives. Civil Service, again, appeals to me. Not sure where else I could go with my interests that would be good. FS and Civil Service seem right up my alley, hard as they are to find a position in.

I hear politics related careers in EUR are also hard to get if you don't speak a word of German or French. :(

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

zzonkmiles posted:

No tipping point yet. We're really happy now.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

QuackAttackAggie posted:

The Hubs and I have established that, barring major illnesses or conditions that would prevent us from moving abroad with our hypothetical children, we'll stick with State until we're unhappy. I think it's time commitment for me at work and a lack of job opportunities above the clerical scale that would do it for us.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

the_chavi posted:

Concur with all of the above. There are few vacancies in the regional offices, and because it's one of the most desired IC slots there's exceptionally slow promotions up the GS scale. Based on experience of friends who've applied, it seems that it's almost impossible to get in the door without veterans preference...

I expect to hear by the end of the week. I really do not want to do DC now simply to give my daughter more overseas life experience, but I'll take this if offered. Right now the only other option I'm looking at is Kuwait, and that just popped up this morning.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

the_chavi posted:

The Hubs and I have established that, barring major illnesses or conditions that would prevent us from moving abroad with our hypothetical children, we'll stick with State until we're unhappy. I think it's time commitment for me at work and a lack of job opportunities above the clerical scale that would do it for us.

My wife and I are both military brats so moving around is in our blood. Also, we love State and the benefits are amazing (especially now that we have a brat of our own.) It's going to take something seriously traumatic or seriously awesome to make us leave. I definitely understand the life not working for people though; I feel very fortunate that I ended up in a relationship with someone that is cool with it all.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bruxism posted:

My wife and I are both military brats so moving around is in our blood. Also, we love State and the benefits are amazing (especially now that we have a brat of our own.) It's going to take something seriously traumatic or seriously awesome to make us leave. I definitely understand the life not working for people though; I feel very fortunate that I ended up in a relationship with someone that is cool with it all.

Congrats on Bruxism jr!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Congrats on Bruxism jr!

You should see the little thing. Clearances already pending with five IC agencies, plus FCS (inexplicably).

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TCD posted:

Congrats on Bruxism jr!

Thanks! Months old and already applying for his dip book. Ha ha!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Accepted a handshake for DC today. Even though would have preferred to be overseas, this is my ideal DC gig and am mostly excited about it, save for the logistics of finding a place to live.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Congrats! I think you're really going to like it!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like I didn't make it past QEP again. Thanks to everyone that helped me out in this thread, especially qwertyman. I guess I just have to try again in March (I took the FSOT in October) and hope for the best.

I looked at my past posts in this thread, and it looks like I steadily get a 169 on the multiple choice, I think that it was me making GBS threads the bed on the essay that really sunk me this year. Gonna see if I can take an accelerated Arabic course to see if that will bump up my score and actually study for the FSOT for the next go around I think.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Shageletic posted:

Looks like I didn't make it past QEP again. Thanks to everyone that helped me out in this thread, especially qwertyman. I guess I just have to try again in March (I took the FSOT in October) and hope for the best.

I looked at my past posts in this thread, and it looks like I steadily get a 169 on the multiple choice, I think that it was me making GBS threads the bed on the essay that really sunk me this year. Gonna see if I can take an accelerated Arabic course to see if that will bump up my score and actually study for the FSOT for the next go around I think.

Sorry to hear about the QEP blocking the way. If it's any consolation at all, hiring right now is apparently below attrition and the Consular Affairs section just let us all know that we will be understaffed in the entry level officer ranks indefinitely. I wish you had gotten through, because we could use folks like you!

It gets difficult when you start seeing the same bad visa applicants for the third and even fourth time. Sometimes I wish we could just tell them not to try again for a while.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

qwertyman posted:

Sorry to hear about the QEP blocking the way. If it's any consolation at all, hiring right now is apparently below attrition and the Consular Affairs section just let us all know that we will be understaffed in the entry level officer ranks indefinitely. I wish you had gotten through, because we could use folks like you!

It gets difficult when you start seeing the same bad visa applicants for the third and even fourth time. Sometimes I wish we could just tell them not to try again for a while.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I think I would be a good fit as well, just have to buckle down and ace this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

2011: Passed FSOT. Failed QEP.
2012: Passed FSOT. Failed QEP.
2013: Passed FSOT. Passed QEP. Failed OA.
2014: Passed FSOT. Passed QEP. Failed OA.
2015: Passed FSOT. Passed QEP. OA: ???

I'm very fortunate to get a third shot at the OA. I really need to be careful this time.