Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Motion to ban whoever thought Agents of SHIELD was one of the 10 best shows of the year.

You fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

what have i done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So loving glad SHIELD is below Leftovers. And drat what a showing for Sense8! I like it a lot even though it wouldn't even make my top 30 and it's nice to see its well-liked in at least one place.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sense8 was a show i really loved as i was watching i but i quit it around episode 9 or 10, and when playing catchup i felt no real inclination to finish the season out

which probably says as much as needs to be said as the value i placed on it as a program

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cart posted:

Motion to ban whoever thought Agents of SHIELD was one of the 10 best shows of the year.

You fools.

I'm not even a little bit ashamed of that. It' not the pinnacle of writing, but It's a fun show whihc does what it tries to do well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The road continues on, friends. But we cannot grow weary in our travels, there is still so much to see! We must get right to it and find out which TV show you voted in at #8!

Zaggitz posted:

A stellar beginning in 2015.

MrAristocrates posted:

This season was good!

Slamhound posted:

Still one of the most solid shows around.

karrethuun posted:

One of my favorites over the past few years.

Sober posted:

Also has arguably one of the best, if not most creative, episodes in its run to date.

Pan Dulce posted:

TVIV made me watch this show. And I downed it in 2 weeks, that's how good it was.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I am now eagerly awaiting the next (last?) season more than anything else.

Regy Rusty posted:

I’m gonna miss this show.

8. PERSON OF INTEREST (CBS)
DOWN 3
96 points, listed 14 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: Best Show On A Mainstream Network :toot:

That's right, Person of Interest might be getting a little long in the tooth but it's still got enough weight to mix it with the young guns, earning itself a top 10 finish for the third year in a row. Sometimes with long running shows they reach a place where they have earned so much love that they will always be a contender, Person of Interest is surely one such show. And with next season looking very likely to be the last, might we see it go out with a bang in next year's poll?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's too bad Making a Murderer came out as late as it did 'cause I've been watching it over the last couple of days and it for sure would've been no. 2 on my list if not no. 1 depending on how it progresses

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah hakks i'm on the same wavelength in that making a murderer is really excellent true-crime documentary television

i would disagree that it's number one material though, even number two unless you put jinx at one and really love that specific format

i cant get over the technical quality of the program, it's a lot lower (which makes sense since jinx was on HBO), but the quality of even the present-day interviews resolution-wise is just weird, tbh

on top of how i think avery is flat-out a much less interesting central character than durst

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah ok I missed The Jinx but will go back and check it out after how much I'm loving this

Edit: But really I'm not so much gripped by the "characters" as I am about the systematic destruction of these poor people's lives, it's horrifying to watch

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 3, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
TVIV has the weirdest tastes in TV shows.

Sense8, seriously.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We just keep on getting closer, with every step the field gets that little bit smaller. Which show will be the next to drop out from the chance of hitting number one? It's time to take a look at your #7!

Joramun posted:

Truly transcendent.

Illinois Smith posted:

An all-around Herculean effort.

Asiina posted:

It really hits that wacky crazy spot for me.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's sharp and poignant, and it touches on subjects and nostalgia that appeals directly to my generation.

MrAristocrates posted:

It continues to be one of the most ludicrously inventive shows on television.

xcore posted:

I wish I could get people in real life to be obsessed with this show as I and the rest of the forums are.

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm pretty sure this would have made my top ten even if all I'd watched were two minute clips on Youtube.

centaurtainment posted:

The show that Invader Zim so desperately wanted to be.

7. RICK AND MORTY (ADULTSWIM)
UP 3
104 points, listed 21 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST ANIMATION :toot:
:toot: BEST COMEDY
:toot:

Tons of you voted for Rick and Morty this year and you pushed it to be TV IV's Best Comedy of 2015! Even if there wasn't quite enough support for it to break the top 5 is still dominated in its own genre with a good 20 points more than its nearest competitor, Broad City. With the show continuing to pick up new fans, perhaps 2016 will be the year we finally see a comedy top our list!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My #7 was #7. Validation!

omg if Leftovers makes the top 5

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ooh boy, we are so close to that top 5 that I can almost taste it. But with six shows left, each one has critical acclaim and devoted fans by the bucket load and one of them is going to have to fall just an inch short. Here's what you all voted in at #6!

Escobarbarian posted:

True masterpiece.

Gandalf21 posted:

Perfection.

karrethuun posted:

Flat out an amazing series.

Junkenstein posted:

I found every single scene utterly compelling.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Every week I thought it couldn't possibly get better, and every week I was wrong.

Fast Luck posted:

One of the most meticulously plotted perfectly accomplished television seasons that's ever been produced.

ShakeZula posted:

Just stellar on every level of performance and production, and packed with nearly-unmatched emotional intensity.

Toxxupation posted:

An unparalleled season when it came to writing, directing, acting, storytelling, pacing, worldbuilding...all the individual "things" that one can total up on a sheet that equals "great television".

joepinetree posted:

Only breaking bad at its peak made me wish for a time machine this much, just so I could see the next episode NOW.

6. THE LEFTOVERS (HBO)
UP 42 (!!)
110 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 8 times

:toot: BEST ON HBO :toot:
:toot: BEST AVERAGE (not including Rectify which only had 2 votes which doesn't really count)
:toot:

Well, would you look at that! The Leftovers puts in a stunning performance to get all the way to #6 on the back of a small but absolutely passionate following. It didn't get listed often but from those who did, almost a full 2/3rds of them placed it as their favourite show of the year. And by the sounds of those quotes, the Leftovers is the best thing that none of us are watching.

But we cannot look back forever, we must look forward as well for the top 5 awaits! And I think it's time to stop being cute about this. You all know what shows are left. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Mr. Robot, Better Call Saul, Fargo, one of these shows is going to be your #1 TV show of 2015. Which do you think it's going to be? And which do you think is coming next?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
BCS or Daredevil at #5. My pick is for Fargo to take the whole thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still so stoked to see this show so high. It truly deserves it. Not a bad show in the top 5, either.

edit yeah Fargo definitely for 1

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

omg if Leftovers makes the top 5

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

:perfect:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yeah, I loved that too :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y'all are some sick fucks.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Really, Agents of SHIELD in the Top 10? Is it because the only people still watching it have Stockholmed themselves into believing it's a great show, even compared to the other Marvel series?

Also surprised to see Daredevil in the Top 5. I had a really fun time watching it but it didn't leave much of a long-lasting impression on me past the first viewing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah I cooled a lot on Daredevil, especially after seeing Jessica Jones, but even then I'm pretty shocked at how high they are ranking.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

HorseRenoir posted:

Really, Agents of SHIELD in the Top 10? Is it because the only people still watching it have Stockholmed themselves into believing it's a great show, even compared to the other Marvel series?

Nah

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Me, Bown, and six other people are the best posters in TVIV

and considering the cynicism I was totally expecting an at best top 20 showing, so 6 is beyond my wildest dreams

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You know what? You've heard enough from me. Your #5 pick is here so let's just dive right in!

karrethuun posted:

Fantastic adaptation.

Rarity posted:

There are so many great aspects to this show to talk about.

Ernie. posted:

Everyone needs to see it.

Little Mac posted:

Violent, visceral, and completely thrilling.

MrAristocrates posted:

A fascinating villain

Pan Dulce posted:

I had to binge it just because every episode left me on the edge of my seat.

I couldn't be happier that they got it SO RIGHT.

Hakkesshu posted:

The way it used violence in general had much more impact than any other superhero show or film that I can immediately recall.

White Rabbit posted:

If you have to watch one superhero TV show this is the one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Going to be considered "the best thing Marvel has made" for a long time.

5. DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
135 points, listed 22 times, #1 spot 1 time

It's a surprise that the internet didn't break when Netflix released Daredevil back in April. Has there ever been a TV show more hotly anticipated before its debut? If there has been, I'd like to see it. Perhaps the bigger surprise was that Daredevil lived up to the hype, producing a season strong enough to rank #5 on your list. Praised by you for its brutal action scenes and deep look into its villain's psyche, Daredevil quickly became the best Marvel production on any visual media. Oh, for about six months or so... But let's not rush ahead, instead let's remember a show who's own merit is very much deserved.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Daredevil is better than Jessica Jones

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dat hallway fight doe

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wrong

e: gdi bown

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty much on board with anything Marvel has to offer these days, but found Daredevil so incredibly dull.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

but dat hallway fight doe

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'm the 1 guy who ranked The 100 as number 1. Neat.

Also, Jessica Jones is better than Daredevil.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Dat hallway fight doe

yes, that. also the writing and characterization and pacing

not the acting, but that's p much the only leg up the latter has on the former

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I watched Jessica Jones and then Daredevil back to back on one weekend. Daredevil was just dull and overdoing the grit. It didn't even end up in my top ten.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

I watched Jessica Jones and then Daredevil back to back on one weekend. Daredevil was just dull and overdoing the grit. It didn't even end up in my top ten.

Exactly. It feels like Daredevil is trying too hard to be dark and gritty.

Jessica Jones is dark as hell, but it feels like it's earned it by the subject matter.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

counter-point: jessica jones really reaches to show you how cruel people can be. like it took me a week or two to come back to it after cop-dude point blank starts shooting other people for no. reason. at. all. and torching evidence. and then in the same episode the girl jessica tries to save suicides when she was about to be saved. and the annoying neighbor convinces victim survivors to gang up on other victims. like, gently caress that. all of that happening at the same time was a huge mis-stop imo, because none of those characters' arcs until that point hinted that they might be easily misguided into being evil.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like they are just different target audiences. Given the opinions on these forums, they succeeded wonderfully at making one show that appeals to people who like action, and one show that appeals more to people who want character-based drama. Both shows are good and they weren't trying to accomplish the same thing and that's okay.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The writing is often nuanced enough to sell the grit, and realistically it's the best protrayal of rape culture literally ever so as an "Important" show it's much moreso than DD

no qualms with that

but the dialog in JJ is often awful loving garbage and the show has absolutely zero sense of pacing, there's the oft- mocked three episode stretch late in the season that's become memetic between critic and viewer alike for a reason

also daredevil feels like a show in the sense of having episodes with smaller storylines that feed into an overarcing narrative, while JJ is just this sorta bloated and aimless thing that just sorta wanders from episode to episode, touching on topics as it sees fit. It's possibly the most Netflix-y show Netflix has produced in having no real structure from episode to episode

if people placed JJ higher because they think the (serious) topics that it addresses or the strength of the show's acting makes it a more enjoyable watch that makes it more crucial than DD, which is "just" an FX version of a comic book, then yeah i can totally respect that. If they think the former is a better show, objectively speaking, than the latter I really can't. The writing feels downright insultingly bad, at points, in JJ. like, outright embarrassed to continue watching the show levels of awful dialog or unfocused pacing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, I don't believe I have ever felt so tense! There are just four shows left in our countdown and each one is brilliant in its own right. Chances are any of these contenders would have topped last year's list but alas, this is the era of peak TV and so we are left with this bloodbath, this gladitorial combat of television. Better Call Saul, Mr. Robot, Fargo, Jessica Jones. How can you separate four shows of such excellence? How can you judge any one better than another? But that was your task and so it had to be and so it is that one of these shows is your number one. Oh, how I wish I could tell you right now! But it cannot be, the journey cannot end before it is completed. So settle down and join me as we take a look at what came in at #4.

xcore posted:

A hell of a ride.

Rocksicles posted:

Some truly head loving moments.

HorseRenoir posted:

The execution is completely immaculate.

This is a show that's about the journey, not the destination, and I'm glad to be along for the ride.

Rarity posted:

One of the smartest, most well crafted pieces of television I've seen in a long time.

Zythrst posted:

This show just oozes atmosphere from every pore.

ShakeZula posted:

The aesthetic it created was unlike anything else on TV.

White Rabbit posted:

This is the kind of creation that conjures an evolution for the TV show medium as a whole.

DivisionPost posted:

It's brilliantly conceived and executed on paper, creatively photographed, and most of all, impeccably acted.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Not only wouldn't be as good with another actor, I don't think the show would even work.

Toxxupation posted:

A story about stories in a way that feels earned and natural over pretentious as gently caress.

Spatula City posted:

You come to expect the reveal, and the moment of triumph, but the magician has made you look in the wrong places.

4. MR. ROBOT (USA)
NEW ENTRY
139 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 5 times

By far the biggest shock of 2015 was USA putting out a prestige drama and it turning out to not just be good but incredible. And now we find Mr. Robot riding high on our chart with a #4 placing, just barely beating out Daredevil in one of the closest races in this year's poll. There was heaps of praise for Rami Malek's performance, equal amounts for Sam Esmail's writing and just as much for the directing. Will Mr. Robot be able to match its performance next year without a big twist? By the sound of it, you guys think it will.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Asking for objective opinions in a top ten thread is objectively the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Zaggitz posted:

Yeah I cooled a lot on Daredevil, especially after seeing Jessica Jones, but even then I'm pretty shocked at how high they are ranking.

Well I mean it's TVIV. There has to be at least TWO comic book shows ranked beyond all sane valuation, tradition demands it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
BCS over Mr. Robot? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So here we are. The final three. For the first time in history a 70s crime family will go up against a barely qualified lawyer and a superpowered P.I. as the battle for the top spot gets even hotter. So what's going to be next to drop out of the race? Oh, why am I wasting your time, let's just find out!

smg77 posted:

I fully expected this to be horrible.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Doesn't disappoint at all

Escobarbarian posted:

A lot more downbeat and thoughtful than I was expecting.

Yer Burnt posted:

So good. I don't need to say more.

achillesforever6 posted:

One of the best TV shows I have ever watched.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Relentlessly worthy of its DNA.

xcore posted:

How did this actually work? I don't know, but I love it.

Jerusalem posted:

Genuinely funny when it tries, poignant when it wants to be.

Toxxupation posted:

The tension is subtler, the conflict mostly consisting of verbal confrontations over physical ones.

Shageletic posted:

Regularly putting me through a roller caster of laughter, horror, and dread every, I don't know, 15 minutes?

Junkenstein posted:

It’s definitely its own thing but has that mix of crime, drama and comedy combined with the same great aesthetic.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ugh this should probably be higher on my list.

3. BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
NEW ENTRY
209 points, listed 31 times, #1 spot 4 times

How could we ever doubt Vince Gilligan? Once again the man produces one of the highlights of the year with a dark and introspective comedy-drama prequel that ticked all the right boxes. Many of you stacked it up favourably to its predecessor and with Breaking Bad topping our list in multiple past years, this show certainly has the pedigree to reach those heights in the future. Oh, and for those of you who would have liked to see this show place even higher, it missed out on coming in second by just one point...

• Locked thread