Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is the OOC for (EDIT: new thread) Way of the Minor Clans because I let the old one fall into archives. I will edit all the archived content into this OP later but for now have this stuff:

Clans posted:

• Crab: The Shadowlands are pretty much cleaned up, so these days the Crab establish mining and construction operations, explore strange new worlds, and beat the stuffing out of the most hostile worlds for the Empire.
• Crane: The Crane still produce art and entertainment, that just includes things like galaxy-wide broadcasts of pop idols. They also like to snag really nice-looking worlds and build resorts on them.
• Dragon: The Dragon investigate the weirdest planets, guards a few worlds given to them by the Emperor for reasons unknown to anyone else, and study weird space phenomena. There's a nebula on the eastern edge of the Empire that prevents further space travel which they're super interested in.
• Lion: Still focused on the military, just now they have massive space fleets. They have enough problems with pirates and alien creatures that they don't have time to be as aggressive towards the other Clans as they used to be.
• Mantis: The Mantis are the second largest clan with the most controlled systems now, thanks to a really aggressive exploration push. They practice piracy and pretend they don't. Everyone thinks they are bullies.
• Phoenix: They study and sanctify new planets and research space technology.
• Scorpion: They generate a lot of money through backing crime operations. Rumour is they have Ninja-class cruisers with cloaking technology, but that's just a rumour (they totally have Ninja-class cruisers).
• Spider: I'm not totally certain what I want to do with these guys so they'll be in or out depending on how the group feels.
• Unicorn: They love exploring! Most of them have moved off Rokugan to other planets, they and the Phoenix are the only ones who try communication with aliens first, and they helped relocate the gaijin nations of Rokugan to a system where they can be monitored and kept out of harm's way. Most have ditched horses in favour of bikes, cars, spacecraft or sweet alien mounts.

Minor Clans posted:

In the fourth millennium, there are dozens of Minor Clans in existence, so many that no samurai will raise an eyebrow at meeting someone who claims to be a member of the Salamander Clan or the Shark Clan. In fact, the large number of these Minor Clans is the only thing which allows the Alliance to have any weight relative to the Great Clans, who number in the tens of millions of samurai.

Mechanics posted:

New Mechanics

I might tweak things later, but here's what we're starting with. First, Techniques. IH2 pretty much tells you to wing it, so we will. Most Techniques will also cover basic ranged weapons now, so go ahead and add sidearms or rifles with the Samurai keyword (see below) to them as appropriate. People are still way into the honour of melee combat and swords in general, though, and there'll be a lot of room for it. If you're unsure how to do it we can talk and I'll consult my panel of experts.

New skills:

Programming (Coding, Hacking): High Skill. Anyone can use a computer, this is just the skill for having highly technical knowledge. Considered a Low Skill when using the Hacking emphasis. Awareness.
Driving (Wheeled, Tracked, Air-Cushion): Merchant Skill. The ability to operate ground-based vehicles. Usually Intelligence, maybe Reflexes when avoiding sudden threats.
Engineering: Not a new skill but you can take emphases for SPACE TECHNOLOGY now.
Firearms (Sidearm, Rifle): Bugei Skill. Shootin' dudes. Reflexes.
Kyujutsu: Nobody cares about bows any more except some traditionalists, so substitute Firearms if you want.
Piloting (Fixed-Wing, Helicopter, Spacecraft, Ship Combat, Docking): Merchant Skill. I actually merged the suggested aircraft/spacecraft skills together because I really doubt the difference will matter much. Intelligence.

Some weapon stats from IH2. Remember that firing on a spaceship might be a bad idea!

Standard Sidearm [Samurai, Small]: Pistols! DR 3k3, Range 100'.
Standard Rifle [Samurai, Medium]: Your basic samurai energy rifle. DR 4k4, Range 500'.
Heavy Assault Rifle [Large]: Nice friendly weapons, like the Kaiu Forge Devastator-class Siege Weapon. These don't have the Samurai keyword so they'll be a lot rarer. DR 6k5, Range 400', you need Strength 4 to wield one.

Here you go! If you want you can repost your sheet/backstory here but I don't mind if you don't.

(old IC thread: here)

. . .

Useful Things That Were Posted Later

Minor Clans

Ettin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

For the record I vote Choumaru, her plays are funny and I want Misuko to mess with her some more. :u

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kei is closest to Kaiya, but I'm ok with having an emotional sending off rather then gleeful GOSSIPFRIENDS 4 LYFE.

My vote is against the Isawa.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's two for Hida Kaiya's Ghost, two for Choumaru and one for "shrug".

I don't mind letting you pick up Choumaru AND Hida Kaiya if you really want. Or Hida Kaiya's next spin on the karmic wheel is actually another Kaiya you meet later :getin:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm ok with the latter, so long as we don't do that thing you talked about in IRC.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm cool with either.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I am also neutral.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ettin posted:

I don't mind letting you pick up Choumaru AND Hida Kaiya if you really want. Or Hida Kaiya's next spin on the karmic wheel is actually another Kaiya you meet later :getin:

I'd be cool with either of those options. (But my vote's still for Kaiya.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
gently caress it, let's do both for now :buddy:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Yukari, Misuko's Manager and an Ally of 2 Influence and 2 Devotion.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

And Misuko's concert outfit for Winter Court. The others have probably seen her already try it on inside the Otokodate-maru, so they can make fun of her help her out with it if they want to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kozue's has two key background NPCs that could be at Winter Court. Neither is bought as an Ally (since I didn't think to last XP go-round), so they may or may not be reliable! Feel free to make any adjustments as necessary,

Miya Iesada

A skilled diplomat and pilot - in that order - Iesada is at that right moment in a lucky young samurai's life that he's risen beyond the expectations of his youth and hasn't had the chance to suffer a significant failure. As such, he often serves as a courtly face of the Miya family in smaller courts like those of the Minor Clans and smaller Clan families, where his charm serves well and the risk posed by his inexperience is relatively small. However, he's ambitious, and dreams of being the Voice of the Emperor like his mother was prior to her retirement; he carries a grudge against whatever family currently sits in the position, irregardless of their merit.

His betrothal to Kozue seemed charmed at first, and when he's with her they get along great, but their time apart gives him some doubt. Will being married to such a small, eccentric, and diplomatically awkward clan stand in the way of his dreams?

Kohaku Ageshige

Ageshige is a mixture of brilliance, eccentricity, and enthusiasm to the point of coming off as a bit comical. To call it a mask would be doing him a disservice, as he really is all those things, but he's also more self-aware than he lets on. He knows his demeanor isn't likely to get him taken seriously, but doesn't sweat it too much, because he's quite capable underneath it all. He has an eye for recognizing potential and fortune in others, and is intensely savvy in using the clan's wealth to support entrepreneurs and startups... and also to make sure he gets a good chunk of the credit for their accomplishments. He's never quite dishonorable, but a number of samurai over the decades have been baited into duels or contests only to get unexpectedly trounced. He's gotten quite good at pulling the rug out under those who think him less capable, either due to his seemingly open nature or his Minor Clan status.

Kozue is a beloved niece, but he ironically has never taken her too seriously. He sees her as naive and overconfident, which honestly a pretty good estimation. He sees her was leaning on the Fortunes, which he recognizes as valuable to the clan, but also sees as a fickle and fragile strength in her. As such, he underestimates her much like others underestimate him, though whether or not that's his detriment has yet to be seen.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I meant on this planet you're going to first, but I'm totally using those at the Winter Court now. :getin:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Is Komori-san just ignoring Kei entirely?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Summary of the setup by request! You can ditch these losers and go investigate this if you want, or make them go through the stuff you actually came here for.

The Place

You're in the Dragonfly city of Lucky Star, on the planet Kitsuki's Eye. Lucky Star City sits on an island called Kotone Province, which is divided up between the Dragonfly, Octopus, Otter, Bear and Bee clans. The point where their territories meet is marked by the Kitsuki Gardens. Right now you're at an izakaya in the city called the Green Light, where the Champions meet often.

The People

The local Clans, their purposes and their Champions are:

Dragonfly: Still tasked with blocking everyone from seeing the Dragon. Their Champion is not here and probably not relevant. Tonbo Hayama seems to have met with the other Minor Clans a lot on the Dragonfly's behalf, and they shared sensitive information with him at some point. He is dead.

Octopus: They collect prophecies. Champion is Tako Tsugumi, who is nice but a little weird. Her yojimbo/assistant is Tako Takako, who is straight-laced and probably has no sense of humour. Owe the Bat a favor.

Otter: Keep records of all the Fortunes (there are a lot). Champion is Kawaso Mikuji, who is quiet and contemplative and likes sentences to be over as soon as possible.

Bayushi Asaji has given Kei a letter and asked her to deliver it to the Otter Champion. She peeked and saw a love letter.

Bear: Imperial beekeepers. Often confused with the Bee, who they hate. Champion is Mitsubachi Aoi, the straight man in the Bear-Bee comedy routine.

Bee: Special infantry. Often confused with the Bear, who they hate. Champion is Oguma Otori, who says rude words when he is drunk.

They are also joined by Transient Petal, a Hanajin representative who doesn't seem to notice when people would rather she not say things.

What Went Down

• Tonbo Hamaya liked to hang out in the Kitsuki Gardens and make everyone come to him. Two days ago he saw Mikuji (Otter) for breakfast, Aoi (Bee) for brunch, and Tsugumi/Takako (Octopus) for lunch. Someone called Senjou may have been there too. Otori (Bear) was to meet him for afternoon tea, but someone else found him dead by then.

• Hamaya supposedly died of a heart attack, possibly poison-related. His body is in Dragonfly magistrate care in the city, and you might be able to get access.

• Hamaya didn't have any major enemies, but he was no friend to the local crime element. The information he had may also have made him a target.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sorry about the delay! Kickstarter business, etc. I'll get to posting. Let me know if anyone needs more recaps or if this is dumb/overly complex :shobon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I feel like two-adventure plots (the Winter Court, here) are a bad idea in pbps, now. :negative:

E: Also, I screwed this up before - the way ARB posted, Kozue probably could have dropped in on Misuko/Yukari and gone with them. Whoops!! Unless Kozue wants to follow up on Tsutsuji's post she can say her meeting happened around the same time as Misuko's and go tag along to this new place, if she likes. If not, you can all still maintain contact over the net! :toot:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 14, 2015

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Infinite Oregano: Your post is coming, I'm just trying to decide if I want to use Cirno's Kitsuki from TBN's game. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, this one's stalled a bit, so interest check: Who's still here and wants to keep going? Should I pick up 1-2 extra peeps or just let the thread lay? :buddy:

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Well I'm still interested!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm still up for it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I asked who wanted Kei to drop in and nobody wanted her :qq:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah, why not.

Kei could totally join Misuko and Naganori for DEAD ROBOT BODY PARTY.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm a Goddamn idiot, so I let the thread fall into archives anyway. :negative:

So, uh, yeah. Sorry guys. Starting this Kickstarter really hurt my ability to do pbps, I guess. If you're really jonesing for some Minor Clans action, I can post a new thread (and even reboot the game, if you'd rather) next month. If you're not interested, I'm going to let it lie for now. Either way, sorry again!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm okay with a reboot when you're ready. :ohdear:

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

TurninTrix posted:

Yeah, I hold similar opinions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

If you're interested in doing a reboot, I'm all for it!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Sure~

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I'm game when you're ready.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

Also, to repeat what I said over IRC, I'd take the chance to change my backstory and parts of Misuko's character, because I was trying too hard to impress back then. :v: I dunno if that's how the others feel, but I'm good for a soft reset and all.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright! I might bump it to October, though, or at least when this game is ready. On the upside my time has freed up quite a bit recently, so if I just get into the habit of making pbp posts again I might be fine :shobon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:siren:We're back!:siren:

Sorry this took longer than anticipated, but I feel comfortable enough to make weekly updates now, so let's give this a try. Feel free to update your sheets.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, based on a suggestion from Trix, I'm thinking of formally saying that you guys are magistrates. The Minor Clan Alliance would totally assemble cross-Clan groups to deal with cross-Clan problems, and it would explain why Bakami gives a poo poo about the Otokodate-maru. Basically you'd be expected to spend some of your time travelling Minor Clan systems, investigating crimes and other incidents that might disrupt the Alliance. How's that sound?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Do we have any XP from the last adventure? Rank 2 is awful close.

Speaking of which, here's the full Carp Bushi school for review as necessary. A lot of these techniques have been done for awhile but I sat down and refined them.

quote:

Carp Bushi School

Benefit: +1 Reflexes
Honor: 5.5
Skills: Athletics, Firearms, Kenjutsu, Lore: Theology, Meditation, Sincerity, and any one Games or Perform skill
Outfit: Light Radiant Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Radiant Daisho, any 1 weapon, Traveling Pack, a Pillow Book, 5 koku
Kata: Spinning Blades Style

Techniques

Rank 1: Joy in Adversity

The Carp learn to laugh off failure, confident that the rise and fall of fate will ultimately fall in their favor. When you miss an attack or take damage, you gain a free raise to be used on your next roll. If you have the Luck advantage and reroll a failed roll, the raise may then be applied to that roll. Additionally, they gain +1k0 on rolls when participating in a contest or duel, or +1k1 when a life is at stake.

Rank 2: Showing the Pattern

Carp bushi have a flashy, distinctive swordsmanship style that distracts and confuses foes. For each raise you make on an attack, you may raise your Armor TN by 3 until your next action. This bonus does not stack if you make multiple attacks in a turn; simply take the highest number instead.

Rank 3: The Fortunes' Favor

One can wait for luck, or one can politely request it. By meditating, you may gain any one Seven Fortunes' Blessing advantage until you rest, even if you already have a Seven Fortunes' Blessing advantage (though one cannot double up on a given blessing). You may only gain one additional Seven Fortunes' Blessing at a time in this fashion. The GM may rule you cannot take a given advantage if your behavior has angered the fortune's will in some way.

Rank 4: The Raging Waterfall

You may make attacks unarmed or with samurai weapons as a Simple Action instead of a Complex Action.

Rank 5: The Wheel of Kharma

Once per turn, you may spend a Void Point to gain three free raises on any roll involving a high or bugei skill. The Void cost is waived if your roll is a contested roll or an attack that targets a foe with a Void Ring, but the target of that contest or attack then gains two free raises on their next roll following the attack or contest.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Do we have any XP from the last adventure? Rank 2 is awful close.

Would +30 XP, +0.5 Honor and +0.2 Glory work? :buddy:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
IC post to come tonight or tomorrow; for now, just putting up the glorious sheet of THE WONDERFUL(LY CUTE) KASUGA KEI-CHAN! :D

+Honor though? Better find a way to get rid of that! I'm almost at Honor 3! Far too much honor! :D

pre:
Kasuga Kei
Kasuga Smuggler 2

Insight 175	Honor 2.9		Status 1		Glory 2.0		Exp 110/110

Earth	2	Stamina		2	Willpower	2
Air	3	Reflexes	3	Awareness	3 
Water	3	Strength	3	Perception	3
Fire	3	Agility		3	Intelligence	3
Void	3

Techniques/Masteries
Way of the Tortoise -  Free Gaijin language with each purchase of Language advantage, no honor loss for Low Skills or glory
loss for public Commerce if it's for the clan, +2k0 to social skills towards the lower classes.
The Shell of the Tortoise - Physically attacking or openly slandering Kei without known provocation causes a loss of 4 points of
honor.
The Eyes of the Emperor - When acting for the good of the clan, +IRk0 to all Low Skills I have at least one point in.
Acting Mastery - -5 to TN to create a disguise
Courtier Mastery - +3 Insight
Etiquette Mastery - +3 Insight
Investigation Mastery - no TN penalty to when making a second attempt to Search
Stealth Mastery - Move Waterx5 while Stealthed

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Rolls
Acting			1		Awa					4k3
Artisan (Bonsai)	1		Awa					4k3
Athletics		1		Str					4k3
Calligraphy		1		Int					4k3
*Commerce		1		Int					4k3
Courtier		3		Awa					6k3
*Etiquette		3		Awa					6k3
Firearms		1		Ref					4k3
Forgery			1		Agi					4k3
Intimidation		1		Awa					4k3
*Investigation		3		Per		Notice			6k3
*Lore (Underworld)	1		Int					4k3
Medicine		1		Int					4k3
Meditation		1		Void					4k3
Programming		1		Awa					4k3
*Sincerity		1		Awa		Deceit			4k3
Sleight of Hand		1		Agi					4k3
*Stealth		3		Agi					6k3
*Temptation		1		Awa		Bribery			4k3

Advantages			Disadvantages
Bland				Failure of Bushido (Honesty)
Read Lips			Small
Sage
Language (Hanajin)
Language (Mekham)		

Combat
TN-to-be-hit:	20
Initiative:	6k3
Damage:		6k3

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Sidearm, 5 koku

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Going to be a little time before I can update Risuta's sheet, I'm currently away from my L5R books/pdfs, but I'll be back tonight so there's that!

Also I forgot to add his rewards from the first mission to his sheet! Scandalous!

Edit: Okay here it is!

pre:
Ujina Risuta

Clan: Hare
Family: Ujina
School: Usagi Bushi
School Rank: 2
Insight Rank: 2
Insight: 171
Experience: 120/120

Honor: 4.9
Glory: 2.0
Infamy: 0
Taint: 0

Air: 3
  Reflexes: 3
  Awareness: 3

Earth: 2
  Stamina: 2
  Willpower: 2

Fire: 3
  Agility: 3
  Intelligence: 3

Water: 3
  Strength: 3
  Perception: 3

Void: 2

Initiative: 5k3
Armor TN: 24

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emph	Rolls
Acting			3	Awa		6k3
Artisan: Songwriting	1	Awa		4k3
*Athletics		3	Str	Running	6k3
*Defense		3	Ref		6k3
Driving			1	Int		4k3
Engineering: Tech	1	Int		4k3
Etiquette		1	Awa		4k3
*Firearms		3	Ref		6k3
Games: Zero-g Kemari	1	Agi		4k3
*Hunting		1	Per		4k3
Iaijutsu		3	Ref		6k3
Investigation		1	Per		4k3
Jiujutsu		3	Agi		6k3
*Kenjutsu		3	Agi		6k3
Knives			1	Agi		4k3
Lore: Bushido		1	Int		4k3
Lore: Heraldry		1	Int		4k3
*Lore: Maho		2	Int		5k3
Meditation		1	Void		3k2
Perform: Guitar		1	Agi		4k3
Perform: Singing	1	Awa		4k3
Piloting		1	Int		4k3
Sincerity		3	Awa		6k3
Stealth			1	Agi		4k3

Kenjutsu 3 - The total of all damage rolls made with a sword is increased by 1k0.
Athletics 3 - Moderate Terrain no longer impedes movement, and movement across Difficult Terrain reduces the character's Water Ring by 1 instead of 2.
Firearms 3 - Deal +1k0 damage when firing a gun.
Iaijutsu 3 - Readying a katana is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action.
Acting 3 - The TN to create a disguise is reduced by 5.
Defense 3 - The character may retain the result of a previous Defense / Reflexes roll rather than make a new roll if the Full Defense Stance is being
maintained in subsequent rounds.
Jiujutsu 3 - The damage of all unarmed attacks is increased by +1k0.

Advantages
	Strength of the Earth: In your soul can be found the spirit of the mountains and the strength of stone. 
You can overcome injuries that would cripple other men. The TN penalties you suffer from Wound Ranks are reduced by 3. (2)
	Daredevil: You have a natural flair for athleticism and a complete lack of self-preservation when it comes 
to physical danger. Whenever you spend a Void Point to enhance an Athletics Skill Roll, you gain a bonus of +3k1 to the 
total of the roll instead of the normal +1k1. (3)
	Ancestor: Usagi Reichin: The founder of the Hare Clan was a man known for both his cheerful nature and for 
his clever tactics and great courage against the Bloodspeaker Cult. His guidance grants you a +1k1 bonus when resisting 
Fear effects; if the Fear is caused by a Bloodspeaker, the bonus is +2k2 instead. (7)
		Constraint: Although Reichin was a pragmatic ronin, he also fought with supreme courage in the 
Battle of the Bloody Retreat. If you ever flee from a battle with a Bloodspeaker when there is still a chance of victory,
 Reichin will forsake you.

Disadvantages
	Compulsion: Sake: There is some activity in which you are hopelessly compelled to partake. It is a ritual
 that is so ingrained in your behavior that it requires a feat of will to forsake it, even in dire circumstances. This 
may be something illicit and addictive, such as sake or gambling (it's sake), or it may be as innocuous as visiting every
 major temple you pass. The basic Disadvantage requires a Willpower Trait Roll of TN 15 to overcome. (2)
	Cursed by the Realm: Meido: The ennui of the Realm of Waiting fills your soul. When unoccupied by physical
 activity or social interaction, you tend to lapse into a trance-like state that causes you to suffer a penalty of -1k0 to
 all Perception-based rolls. (4)
	Fascination: Spicy Food: You are completely fascinated by some subject, and will go to great lengths to 
learn more about it or to experience it in new ways. Typical subjects of a samurai’s fascination include music, horses, 
poetry, and history. This fascination badly impedes your judgment, and you will take even dishonorable actions to learn 
more, which could end in absolute disgrace if your actions are discovered. (1)
	True Love: True love in Rokugan can be a wonderful experience, but more often than not it is a disaster, for
 it is rare for samurai to be allowed to marry for love. Whenever you are in a position where you must choose between love
 and duty, you must spend a Void Point before you can choose your duty over your lover. (3)

Armor
Ashigaru Armour (Bonus to Armor TN: +3 Reduction: 1, Price: 5 koku)
'Tatami Armour' (Bonus to Armor TN: +4 Reduction: 1, Price 10 koku)

Weapons
Katana - Atk 6k3, Dmg 7k2
	(Medium, Samurai; DR: 3k2)
Wakizashi - Atk 6k3, Dmg 6k2
	(Medium, Samurai; DR: 2k2, Thrown (20'))
Standard Rifle - Atk 6k3, Dmg 8k4
	(Medium, Samurai; DR 4k4, Range 500')
Standard Sidearm - Atk 6k3, Dmg 7k3
	(Small, Samurai; DR 3k3, Range 100')
Unarmed - Atk 6k3, Dmg 4k1
	(Small, DR: 1k1)

Techniques
SPEED OF THE HARE
The Hare are known for fighting with a speed and agility reminiscent of the animal for which their clan is named. In any
 situation where you have room to dodge, jump, and otherwise manoeuvre (GM'S discretion), you may add your Athletics Skill
 Rank to your Armour TN except when in the Full Attack or Centre stance. Your Water Ring is considered 1 higher for the 
purposes of how far you can move with Move actions.
LEAP OF THE HARE
The Hare bushi has learned to strike with a devastating springing attack that catches many opponents off guard. If you are 
in the Full Attack stance, you can leap forward and attack an opponent up to 15’ away without taking a Move action. All of 
your attacks on this Turn must target that opponent.

Inventory
Ashigaru Armour, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Standard Rifle, Standard Sidearm, 'Tatami Armour', Traveling Pack, 3 koku

Wounds
Healthy (+0)	Nicked (+0)	Grazed (+2)	Hurt (+7)
OOOOO OOOOO	OO		OO		OO
		OO		OO		OO
Injured (+12)	Crippled (+17)	Down (+37)	Out (-)
OO		OO		OO		OO
OO		OO		OO		OO

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So per discussion with Ettin, I'm gonna be swapping to a new character during this mission. Naganori is gonna stick around as a Dependent and also the co-pilot for our ship (that way we can have it moved around and stuff when we aren't on it). I'm switching to Naganori's cool big sis, Marumaru Kaihime.

The plan is to have her meet up with the party at the next destination, so I'll post as Naganori for a bit longer.

-------------------------------
Marumaru Kaihime

Across the Empire, there are two visions of Crow bushi. The wide-eyed, idealistic youngster, rushing into danger heedlessly. Or the slightly harried, serious magistrate quoting ancient wisdom and trying to get everyone to do the right thing.

Marumaru Kaihime might have been the former once, but she didn't grow into the latter. From a young age she was marked out for something special, excelling at her lessons, whether with the sword or in the classroom. In fact she excelled so much that she was often bored. Kaihime continually looked for new challenges for herself. This usually drew praise, though occasionally her teachers and parents worried she wasn't taking her duties seriously. But every time a test was arranged to make sure of this, she passed. After a few rounds of this, most simply accepted that Kaihime's upbeat personality wasn't a sign she didn't take things seriously.

After her gempukku, Kaihime spent some time among the hanajin, helping them deal with unscrupulous traders and pirates. The latter led to her joining an Imperial anti-piracy mission, where she learned to pilot fighter craft. She quickly earned a reputation as a skilled and daring - perhaps even reckless - pilot. Kaihime also took part in a few raids and boarding actions, putting her swordsmanship to good use. Even this wasn't enough action for her though. Without a challenge, Kaihime tended to get antsy. The usual distractions favored by samurai seemed dull. At least, they were until she had something on the line. Never particularly good with money, Kaihime quickly picked up a gambling habit, and routinely frittered away her funds on games of chance and betting. She had enough control not to dishonor herself or wager anything that didn't belong to her, but she spent a lot of time eating cheap rice and rooming in run-down tea houses.

Eventually Kaihime returned to Imperial space, and took up an assistant instructor position at the Yamashoko dojo. She was well regarded, and well liked, being just as skilled but much less dour than the senior instructors. Initially the Crow were pleased, and soon assigned her planet side, figuring her attitude would mesh well with the young Toku governor.

At this point the Clan leadership became aware of Kaihime's preferred off-hours entertainment. She was becoming a little too much of a regular in the World of Dream's gambling houses. It simply wouldn't do. So they reassigned her to the outer worlds, working with hanajin colonists.

With the recent announcement that the Alliance would be hosting the Winter Court, though, the clan needs every hand it can find. They can't afford to leave someone with Kaihime's skills on the sidelines. And, when it comes to supporting Toku Bakami, they might just need a gambler.

Younger Kaihime

Character Sheet posted:

Marumaru Kaihime

Clan: Crow
Family: Marumaru [+1 Ref]
School: Marumaru Bushi [+1 Agi]
School Rank: 3
Insight Rank: 3
Insight: 184
XP: 138/140

Social Stats
Honor: 7.7
Glory: 3.9
Infamy: 0.0

Rings [72 xp total]
Air: 3
Reflexes: 3
Awareness: 3 [12 xp]

Earth: 3
Stamina: 3 [12 xp]
Willpower: 3 [12 xp]

Fire: 3
Intelligence: 3 [12 xp]

Water: 3
Strength: 3 [12 xp]
Perception: 3 [12 xp]

Derived Stats
Initiative: 5k3
Armor TN: 20 (15 Base + 5 Armor) [24 (+4 Kata)]
Reduction: 3

Weapons
Katana Atk: 7k3 | Dmg: 7k2 | Keywords: medium, samurai | Special: may spend 1 VP to increase damage +1k1
Wakizashi Atk: 7k3 | Dmg: 6k2 | Keywords: medium, samurai | Special: may be thrown up to 20'
Type 6 "Hibana" Pistol Atk: 4k3 | Dmg: 3k3 | Keywords: medium, samurai | Range: 100'
Type 98 "Ikazuchi" Rifle Atk: 4k3 | Dmg: 4k4 | Keywords: medium, samurai | Range: 500'

Armor
Type 6 "Cicada" Assault Armor Armor Bonus: +5 | Reduction: 3 | Special: Increases the TN of Athletics and Stealth rolls by 5. May use Pilot in place of Athletics to jump at no penalty.

Skills [54 xp total]
pre:
Skill			Rank	Trait	Emp	Roll	XP
School [+1k0]
Athletics		3	Str	-	7k3	5
Defense			1	Ref	-	5k3	-
Iaijutsu		3	Ref	-	7k3	5
Kenjutsu		3	Agi	-	7k3	5
Lore: Bushido		2	Int	-	6k3	-
Lore: Nonhumans		1	Int	-	5k3	-

Other 
Artisan: Origami	1	Awa	-	4k3	1
Calligraphy		1	Int	-	4k3	1
Courtier		3	Awa	-	6k3	6
Drive			1	Int	-	4k3	1
Engineering		1	Int	-	4k3	1
Etiquette		3	Awa	-	6k3	6
Firearms		1	Ref	-	4k3	1
Games: 0g Kemari	1	Agi	-	4k3	1
Games: Go		1	Int	-	4k3	1
Games: Sadane		1	Awa	-	4k3	1
Hunting			1	Per	-	4k3	1
Investigation		3	Per	-	6k3	6
Meditation		1	Void	-	3k2	1
Perform: Drums		1	Agi	-	4k3	1
Perform: Samisen	1	Agi	-	4k3	1
Pilot			3	Int	-	6k3	6
Sincerity		1	Awa	-	4k3	1
Athletics 3 - Moderate Terrain no longer impedes movement, and movement across Difficult Terrain reduces the character’s Water Ring by 1 instead of 2.
Courtier 3 - Gain +3 Insight above the total normally indicated by Rings and Skill Ranks.
Etiquette 3 - Gain +3 Insight above the total normally indicated by Rings and Skill Ranks.
Iaijutsu 3 - Readying a katana is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action.
Investigation 3 - A second attempt to use the Search Emphasis may be made without an increase in the original TN.
Kenjutsu 3 - The total of all damage rolls made with a sword is increased by 1k0.

Advantages [16 xp total]
Absolute Direction (1 xp): You possess an almost supernatural sense of direction, and you always know what direction is north, no matter the circumstances. This ability does not function if you are more than one day’s travel inside the Shadowlands.
Language (1 xp): Hanajin.
Prodigy (12 xp): You are a marvel of the dojo, and your sensei believe that you will accomplish incredible things in your lifetime. Whenever you make a School Skill Roll, you gain a bonus of +1k0 to the roll.
Strength of Earth (2 xp): In your soul can be found the spirit of the mountains and the strength of stone. You can overcome injuries that would cripple other men. The TN penalties you suffer from Wound Ranks are reduced by 3. Bushi characters may purchase this Advantage for 2 points.

Allies [4 xp total]
pre:
Name			Inf	Dev	Notes
Kakita Mifune		2	2	Master swordsman
Choumaru		1	2	Ronin playwright, medium
Hida Kaiya		1	2	Ghost
Kaiu Tachiko		2	1	AI expert, philosopher
Void Drifters		1	1	Cyborg ronin
Disadvantages [10 bonus xp total]
Bad Fortune: Unknown Enemy (-3 xp): Someone somewhere in another Clan hates you, and wishes to see you dead. You have no idea who they are or why they hate you, but you will very soon.
Compulsion: Gambling (-3 xp): There is some activity in which you are hopelessly compelled to partake. It is a ritual that is so ingrained in your behavior that it requires a feat of will to forsake it, even in dire circumstances. The Disadvantage requires a Willpower Trait Roll of TN 20 to overcome.
Dependent (-2 xp): Marumaru Naganori, younger brother.
Idealistic (-2 xp): You adhere closely to the code of Bushido, perhaps too closely, and you have a hopelessly naďve view of the world and how things work. You have impossible standards that not even the most heroic individual could hope to meet, much less you. Whenever you lose Honor, the loss is increased by 1 point.

Techniques
THE RAVEN MUST LIVE LIKE A HAWK
The Crow school is founded on the notion that any one person can make a difference; samurai, however, can make a more martial difference. For each foe you are engaged with past the first, you may add +1k0 to attack rolls while in the Attack or Full Attack Stance, or +3 to Armor TN while in the Defense or Full Defense stance. The number of bonuses you may gain from being outnumbered in this fashion is limited to your School Rank. All Kata cost 1 XP less for you. You can learn the Kata of other bushi schools provided you can find a sensei to teach them to you, which may require you to obtain the appropriate Ally advantage.

SHARPEN YOUR TALONS
Each blade is a soul, but with two blades, a person may divide their soul. You may have two Katas active at once. Katas activated in this fashion may not stack the same bonus, but only take the higher of the two. Bear in mind added dice and kept dice are counted separately - if one kata adds 2k0 to a roll and another kata adds 1k1 to the same roll, the total bonus would be 2k1.

THE RAVEN HERALDS DEATH
Crow bushi learn to strike without fear or delay. You may make an attack as a Simple Action if you are engaged with more than one foe, or if you are engaged with an opponent who is capable of making attacks as a Simple Action.

Kata [4 xp total]
Breath of Wind Style (2xp): Your Initiative Score increases by 2 during the Reactions Stage of each Combat Round. This effect stacks but disappears immediately if the kata is no longer in effect.
Strength of the Crane (2xp): When fighting with a sword or spear you add an amount equal to your Honor Rank - 3 (minimum 1) to your Armor TN [+4].

Wounds
pre:
Healthy (+0)		Nicked (+0)	Grazed(+2)	Hurt(+7)
OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO	OOO OOO		OOO OOO		OOO OOO

Injured (+12)	Crippled (+17)	Down (+37)	Out (-)
OOO OOO		OOO OOO		OOO OOO		OOO OOO

-------

Founding of the Crow Clan

The Crow Clan's origin is shrouded in myth. Rumors have portrayed the clan's founder as everything from the secret daughter of a Crane champion, the pupil of tengu swordmasters, or even a mountain kami.

What is certain is that the ronin swordswoman Marumaru was involved peripherally in the momentous events of the 12th century. She first enters the records defending helpless villagers from bandits. Her prowess with the sword and devotion to the tenets of bushido earned her the respect of other samurai. In particular, she became a favorite of moralists, who saw her as a paragon of an older and simpler code, in opposition to the esoteric and abstract ideas that had grown up around bushido.

These attitudes were best displayed in a famous event just before the Clan was founded. Unscrupulous parties manipulated court proceedings to deny Marumaru her swords before a duel with the brilliant Doji Iori in an attempt to discredit both. The plan backfired badly. Iori first offered Marumaru the use of her own katana, intending to fight with her wakizashi. This honorable display raised Iori's standing. In return, Marumaru declined, explaining, "a samurai's soul is her sword." This inversion of the old proverb was so often repeated afterwards it is essentially the Crow's motto.

In any event, Marumaru faced Doji Iori with no weapon in hand. Iori won the duel on a technicality as she drew blood first, but acknowledged Marumaru as the superior warrior as she was able to land the first blow - though Iori later was to win several duels against Marumaru, when no outsiders intervened. The two were rivals and friends for the rest of their lives, a relationship that describes the Crow Clan's on-again, off-again connections with the Crane.

The Path of the Crow

After this, the Emperor charged Marumaru to create a clan that would continue the tradition of bushido as the path of the swordsman. This lead the new Clan down two intertwined paths. On the one hand, they spend a great deal of time considering how to apply the tenets of bushido to practical problems and keeping records of important examples and arguments.

On the other hand, the Crow focus on individual prowess in battle. They learn iaijutsu and kenjutsu as practical arts, and expect to use them when facing superior forces. They put little to no emphasis on military arts like command, or fighting in a unit.

This means the Crow are most often found pursuing vocations where a solitary samurai can make a disproportionate difference. Many become magistrates or yojimbo or take up offices in out of the way corners. The path of the fighter pilot attracts many in the current era. Young Crow are expected to seek out such a position after their gempukku, to test and prove themselves.

Crow clan members generally have little time for more esoteric philosophical musings and focus on concrete questions and actions. They're fond of quoting Kurita Tare when posed an ethical dilemma they consider overwrought - "Here is a sword." Because of their attention to practical matters of honor and their tendency to work on the fringes of the Empire - not to mention their semi-mythical origins - the Crow interact with non-Rokugani and even non-Humans regularly.

This practice, and their tendency to turn up in unexpected places and take precipitous action in the name of bushido often causes tension with other Clans. The Clan's unquestioned devotion to bushido shields them usual disapproval of such interactions and makes moving against them politically difficult.

Other Crow Families

Currently the Crow consist only of the Marumaru family and its bushi. Another family once existed.

Within a few decades of their founding, Marumaru invited the Kurita into the Clan, beginning the Crow practice of collecting information about bushido. Though the Clan sought to follow bushido as a living, practical way of life as opposed to an esoteric philosophy, the founder felt the Clan couldn't just muddle through, or they would eventually lose their way. They needed to balance studying bushido with putting it into practice. For many years the Kurita were small and quiet, little known outside scholarly circles.

The expansion of the Empire changed that. The Crow were very active after the colonization of Ivory Kingdoms and the absorption of Medinaat Al-Salaam, and into the eventual conquest of the Yodotai.

The Kurita scholars suddenly lurched into the limelight during this period. Headed by a particularly bright but abrasive samurai, they took upon themselves the task of documenting the difficulties of balancing samurai duty and Rokugani cultural expectations in these new lands. They also spent a great deal of time studying these foreign cultures, looking for signs that they had glimpsed the truths of bushido.

This eventually lead to them cajoling others to not forget bushido in these eras of change. They constantly reminded samurai that their duty extended to all their subjects, regardless of origin. They started schools that translated bushido into local concepts so that the new subjects could be enlightened, and even dojos teaching Rokugani sword technique. In other words, they generally made a nosy, noisy nuisance of themselves.

Eventually the Kurita inspired enough enmity that the Marumaru had to formally reabsorb them, which caused a period of internal political strife. Ultimately the Kurita's legacy is in several important treatises on applying bushido in foreign lands, comparing non-Rokugani practices with bushido, and interacting honorably with non-humans, and with providing the foundation of a broader concept of assimilation into the Emerald Empire as an option for previously foreign subjects.

There have been recent calls to reinstate both the Kurita, as encounters with aliens and the growth of the Empire have lead to similar questions reappearing. Clan leadership remains reluctant, anticipating political headaches.

Crow Relationships

Due to their small number, the Crow have never been particularly important militarily, except as heroic examples. Though Crow units often perform above expectations for their size, there are never enough of them to tip the balance except on a local scale. Politically, what influence they have stems from a reputation for unbiased arbitration, limiting their ability to make use of it. The Clan is fairly poor as well, as their customs work against acquiring major holdings.

The Clan's reputation for incorruptibility and personal prowess has lead to a disproportionate number of magistrate appointments. This has lead to the Crow becoming involved in important events regularly, but rarely in a way that benefits the Clan directly. It does, however, mean the Clan has excellent relations with the Imperial families and bureaucracy, which provides a shield against hard feelings from more powerful Clans.

Historically, the Clan has good relationships and occasional alliances with the Crane. The Great Clan sometimes takes a patronizing stance in their interactions, however. The Crab get along well with the Crow, viewing them as comrades in arms. The Crow also have generally good relations with the Dragon due to their willingness to consider alternate viewpoints - even if it rarely changes a Crow's mind. The Crow have a somewhat testy relationship with the Phoenix stemming from academic infighting during the Kurita's heyday. Their relations with the Unicorn are complicated - on the one hand, the Great Clan is pleased by the Crow's rare appreciation of - even admiration for - the Unicorn's mixed heritage. On the other, the Khans greatly dislike that a Minor Clan would have the temerity to tell them to do better, no matter how politely or indirectly.

The Mantis and Crow's poor relations stem from incompatible world views - representatives mostly talk past each other. They have poor relations with the Scorpion. The Great Clan's cynical view on bushido in the real world runs counter to everything the Crow believe. Perversely, individual Crow and Scorpion often get along and form good working partnerships - unfortunately, these often end in a nasty falling out. They get along little better with the Lion - a case of being too much alike in some ways and being diametrically opposed in others. They are both intractable on their interpretations of bushido, when roused, Lion xenophobia can paint the Crow's assimilationist leanings as verging on treason. Only respect for the personal honor and

The Crow are close allies and supporters of the Monkey, stemming all the way back to the founding of both clans (Marumaru and Toku were supposedly friends). They find the Carp to be kindred spirits, even if they think the other Clan a bit too frivolous and happy-go-lucky. The Crow maintain close relations with the Dragonfly, since many Crow become pilots. Their interactions with the Tortoise follow a similar pattern as with the Scorpion - disapproval at the Clan level, generally good individually. The Crow work well with most bushi dominated clans, such as the Hare and the Bee, and with other clans that collect historical documents, like the Otter. They appreciate the Ibis, but their spheres of influence do not overlap much. They get on well enough with most other Minor clans. The glaring exception is the Tiger, with whom they have never gotten along.

They also have some of the best relations with friendly non-humans, and still espouse the idea that non-Rokugani can learn to become party of the Empire, if they put in the effort.

The Crow Clan Today

In the modern age, the Crow are much as they have always been - small, poor, but respected. They continue to be at the forefront of Imperial expansion, exploration, and interaction with non-humans, nearly always on an unofficial basis.

They have been a long-time stalwart of the Minor Clan Alliance. Their Imperial connections are very valuable, as is their reputation for adherence to bushido. This, along with their close relationship with the Monkey, means they still provide a disproportionate number of Alliance magistrates and officials.

The Clan's most important holding is the Yamashoko, a library, dojo, and temple carved out of an asteroid at the World of Dream's L4 point. It contains many rare, and even some unique, records on the history of and treatises on the practice of bushido and of swordsmanship. Donations for accessing the archive and visiting the temple, plus dojo fees, form a major part of the Clan's income.

In addition, the Clan maintains many smaller libraries on major worlds and stations, which double as small hostels for Clan members and other wandering samurai. These are often tucked into awkward, out of the way places and are quite spartan.

The Tiger and the Crow
Given the good relations the Crow have with the rest of the alliance, their mutual enmity with the Tiger stands out. The longstanding anger stems from the colonization of the Ivory Kingdom. The Crow initially applauded the Tiger's efforts to fold non-Rokugani into their ranks, but became increasingly disapproving of how they went about it. To the Crow, the Tiger's pragmatism and synthesis of ideas was a betrayal of their duty and bushido (ironically, nearly the same charge the Lion level at the Crow).

The Tiger, in return, were infuriated by Crow interference in matters they considered under their sphere of influence. This was bad enough in the Ivory Kingdoms, but became irreconcilable in Medinaat al-Salaam. Moreover, the Tiger were jealous of how the Crow were so often hailed as heroes, while their own contributions were ignored. They had reason to be. Even today, the Tiger are known to sneer, "one Crow hero, ten dead Tigers," when they feel cheated out of recognition by their rivals.

The Marumaru Family [+1 Reflex]

The core and currently only family of the Crow Clan, the Marumaru embody the Clan's founding credo. Younger members typically travel far from home, which keeps them from becoming too insular. Every Marumaru trains rigorously with the sword and studies bushido extensively. They are taught to focus more on practice than theory, though. Crow bushi are respected throughout the Empire, but not always warmly welcomed, given their connection with officialdom and penchant for heralding future trouble.

quote:

Marumaru Bushi School

Benefit: +1 Agility
Skills: Athletics, Defense, Iaijutsu, Lore: Bushido 2, Lore: Theology, Kenjutsu
Honor: 6.5
Outfit: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, any 1 weapon, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

Techniques

Rank 1: The Raven Must Live Like a Hawk

The Crow school is founded on the notion that any one man can make a difference; samurai, however, can make a more martial difference. For each foe you are engaged with past the first, you may add +1k0 to attack rolls while in the Attack or Full Attack Stance, or +3 to Armor TN while in the Defense or Full Defense stance. The number of bonuses you may gain from being outnumbered in this fashion is limited to your School Rank. All Kata cost 1 XP less for you. You can learn the Kata of other bushi schools provided you can find a sensei to teach them to you, which may require you to obtain the appropriate Ally advantage.

Rank 2: Sharpen Your Talons

Each blade is a soul, but with two blades, a person may divide their soul. You may have two Katas active at once. Katas activated in this fashion may not stack the same bonus, but only take the higher of the two. Bear in mind added dice and kept dice are counted separately - if one kata adds 2k0 to a roll and another kata adds 1k1 to the same roll, the total bonus would be 2k1.

Rank 3: The Raven Heralds Death

Crow bushi learn to strike without fear or delay. You may make an attack as a Simple Action if you are engaged with more than one foe, or if you are engaged with an opponent who is capable of making attacks as a Simple Action.

Rank 4: One Against the Storm

Even when surrounded by chaos, a Crow bushi learns to become the eye of the storm. When you take the Center Stance, the bonus increases to Xk1 plus double your Void Ring, where X is the number of foes you are currently engaged with to a maximum of your School Rank. In addition, you gain a Simple Action while in the Center Stance that can only be used to activate a Kata.

Rank 5: The Crow Has Three Claws

You may now have three katas activated simultaneously, subject to the same stacking restrictions as Rank 2. In addition, at the start of the day you may meditate to activate one Kata, which is treated as active for the rest of the day unless replaced by another Kata or until you rest.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 23, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

Also, to repeat what I said over IRC, I'd take the chance to change my backstory and parts of Misuko's character, because I was trying too hard to impress back then. :v:

Toki Misuko

The Ibis Clan represents the cultural strength of the Alliance. They can’t boast great armies, millennia of tradition, or the blessing of the Kami, but the Ibis knows that true power comes from winning hearts and minds. Toki entertainers pursue art for the sake for proliferation and produce more catchy pop songs, dance crazes, and soap operas than any other minor clan. And when people get hooked to those, political currency comes easy.

It’s not that Toki Misuko disagreed with that philosophy (far from it!), but she wanted something different for herself. She grew up on holovids and live performances of Crane theater and always wanted to become an lead actress in a big play - a serious artist, not simply a personality. While her older sister pursued a career as an pop singer, Misuko burned some of her parent’s favors to enter the Kakita Artisan’s Academy in Rokugan. Until her ceremony, she obsessed in all things theatrical and musical.

That enthusiasm was put to the test after that. A Toki in this circuit, even a Crane-trained one, didn’t have the sway of a Shosuro or a Kakita, and she ended up with one bit role after another for the next few years. But she worked hard at her craft, held her patience even as the system worked against her, and soon became an understudy to a large role in a musical. The Fortunes played a trick on her one night, when Misuko needed to take over that role when the actress got sick. She got on strange, played her part, and sang.

One day later, her gripping performance became a viral sensation a good part of the Empire. Later that day, the president and talent scout of an Ibis talent agency went up to her doorstep and offered work for her to take advantage of her newfound fame. Misuko didn’t have much of a choice in the matter. Her parents encouraged this to happen and they still looked to her for the favors they spent on her behalf.

So Misuko ended up as an idol, a popular one at that. While she does a lot of concerts across Alliance worlds, most of her career so far involves a lot of product shots, music videos, and albums where other people write the songs for her. She doesn’t mind it honestly, the change of pace feels refreshing compared to her time in theater. She still longs to act, though, and takes every opportunity to secure herself a television or movie deal, no matter how outrageous.

Recently, she’s doing work for the Otokodate-maru as an Alliance magistrate, as the Ibis do need to contribute to that once in awhile. Some say she does it to seek inspiration for her new album or an upcoming role, other say she just takes every chance to break away from the constant demands of her idol career.

pre:
Clan: Ibis
School: Kakita Artisan
School Rank: 2
Insight Rank: 2
Insight: 161
Experience: 110/110

Honor: 6.4
Glory: 3.0
Infamy: 0

Air: 4
  Reflexes: 4
  Awareness: 4

Earth: 2
  Stamina: 2
  Willpower: 2

Fire: 2
  Intelligence: 2

Water: 2
  Strength: 2
  Perception: 2

Initiative: 4k3
Armor TN: 20

Skills
* Courtier		5    Awa    9k4 +1k0
* Perform (Song)	5    Awa    9k4 +3k1
* Etiquette		4    Awa    8k4
* Sincerity		3    Awa    7k4
* Acting        	3    Awa    7k4
* Perform (Samisen)	3    Agi    6k3
* Games (Sadane)	2    Awa    6k4
Games (Go)		1    Int    3k2
Artisan (Poety)		1    Awa    5k4
Lore (Popular Culture)	3    Int    5k2
Calligraphy		1    Int    3k2
Tea Ceremony		1    Void   3k2
Defense         	3    Rfx    7k4

Advantages
Allies: Toki Yukari, Misuko's Manager (2 Influence / 2 Devotion)
Fame (+1 Glory)
Hero of the People (TN for non-samurai to recognize Misuko is lowered by 10)
Voice (+1k1 on any Perform skill that uses voice)

Disadvantages
Bad Fortune: Secret Love (There's a really obsessed fan out there...)
Compulsion (Always look her best)
Driven (Pursue acting)
Lechery (Temptation (Seduction) rolls against her add +1k1 to the total of the roll)
Obligation - Rank 1 (Do idol work for Toki Yukari)

Armor
None

Weapons
Wakazashi - Atk 3k3, Dmg 4k2
    (Medium, Samurai, DR: 2k2, Special: Throw up to 20')

Techniques
Soul of the Artisan: When making skill rolls with Perform (Song),
gain a +2k0 bonus and Raises are not limited by Void. Gain a
free raise when criticizing a performance with Games: Sadane.
The Soul's Dream:  When presenting a public performance with Perform (Song), 
Misuko may make a Contested Social Roll against the Etiquette (Courtesy)/Willpower 
of the audience members. Those that fail the roll are profoundly swayed to and their
emotions  shift to whatever Misuko desires, lasting as many hours equal to her Insight rank.
Courtier Mastery: +3 Insight, +1k0 to all contested rolls using Courtier.
Etiquette Mastery: +3 Insight.
Acting Mastery: The TN to create a disguise is reduced by 5.

Inventory
Court Robes, Beautiful Clothing, Wakizashi, Portable Sound System, Fan,
Traveling Pack, 10 Koku

Wounds
Healthy (+0)	Nicked (+3)	Grazed (+15)	Hurt (+10)
OOOOO OOOOO	OOOO		OOOO		OOOO

Injured (+15)	Crippled (+20)	Down (+40)	Out (-)
OOOO		OOOO		OOOO		OOOO

Mitama fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

XP spend, starting with 31 xp available (31 xp) leftover. Changes include:
  • Void 2 to 3 for 18 xp, grants +10 Insight.
  • Courtier 1 to 3 for 5 xp, grants +5 Insight.
  • Iaijutsu 1 to 2 for 2 xp, grants +1 Insight.
  • Sincerity 1 to 2 for 2 xp, grants +1 Insight.
  • The World Is Empty (from Book of Air Fire) for 4 xp.
  • 0.8 Honor and 0.5 Glory added since last sheet update.
  • Did some really irrelevant changes to the Kohaku school (Seriously, rank 5 changes? Katas? Who cares, ARB?)
  • Put too much work into a pic above for Kohaku Ageshige. Also, there is now a a Carp mon!
pre:
Kohaku Kozue

Family: Kohaku	Clan: Carp		School: Kohaku Bushi
Honor: 6.5	Glory: 2		Status: 1.5

Initiative: 6k4		Armor TN: 25 (base 20 + armor 5)

Air 4	Awareness 4 (16 xp)
	Reflexes 4 (16 xp)
Earth 2	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2
Fire 3	Agility 3 (12 xp)
	Intelligence 3 (12 xp)
Water 2	Perception 2
	Strength 2
Void 3	3 Void Points (18 xp)

School Skills		Rank	Trait		Emphasis	Roll	CP			

Athletics		1	Agility		-		4k3	-
Firearms		1	Reflexes	-		5k4	-
Games: Sadane		1	Awareness	-		4k3	-
Kenjutsu		2	Agility		-		5k3	2
Meditation		2	Void		-		5k3	2
Lore: Theology		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-
Sincerity		2	Awareness	-		6k4	2

Other Skills		Rank	Trait		Emphasis	Roll	CP			

Artisan: Poetry		1	Awareness	-		5k4	1
Courtier		3	Awareness	-		7k4	6
Etiquette		1	Awareness	-		5k4	1
Games: E-Letters	1	Awareness	-		5k4	1
Iaijutsu		2	Reflexes	-		6k4	3
Investigation		1	Perception	-		3k2	1
Lore: Ghosts		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Perform: Storytelling	1	Awareness	-		5k4	1

Advantages			Benefit								

Benten's Blessing (4 xp)	+0k1 on Social rolls when trying to convince.
Ancestor: Kohaku (5 xp)		+1k1 on Social and Bugei rolls when no samurai are watching.
Luck (9 xp)			Reroll and keep the higher roll 3/session.

Disadvantages			Drawback							

Bad Fortune (1 xp)		Fail one roll spectacularly at GM's discretion.
Gullible (4 xp)			+1k1 on Sincerity (Deceit) rolls against her.
Overconfident (3 xp)		Willpower TN 20 to back down from a challenge.

Kata				Benefit								

The World Is Empty		Add VPk0 to Iaijutsu and Kenjutsu for VP rounds, then lose 1 VP.

Ally			Influence	Devotion		Notes				

Choumaru		1		2			Ronin playwright, medium
Hida Kaiya		1		2			Ghost

Techniques

Joy in Adversity (Carp Bushi Rank 1): The Carp learn to laugh off failure, confident that the rise
and fall of fate will ultimately fall in their favor. When you miss an attack or take damage, you
gain a free raise to be used on your next roll. If you have the Luck advantage and reroll a failed
roll, the raise must then be applied to that roll. Additionally, they gain +1k0 on rolls when
participating in a contest or duel, or +1k1 when a life is at stake.

Showing the Pattern (Carp Bushi Rank 2): Carp bushi have a flashy, distinctive swordsmanship
style that distracts and confuses foes. For each raise you make on an attack, you may raise your
Armor TN by 3 until your next action.  This bonus does not stack if you make multiple attacks in a
turn; simply take the highest number instead.

Weapons			Attack	Damage	Keywords	Special					

Radiant Katana		5k3	5k2	medium, samurai	May spend 1 VP to increase damage.
Radiant Wakazashi	5k3	4k2	medium, samurai	May be thrown up to 20'.
"Yakamo" KI9 Pistol	5k4	3k3	medium, samurai Range 100'.
Jiujitsu		3k3	2k1	-		-

Items: Light Radiant Armor, Carp Kimono, Radiant Daisho, KI9 Pistol, 10 Koku

Traveling Pack: Chopsticks, Kamiunicator, Lampstick, Pocket Kami Scribe, Scrolls, Sweets,
Writing Kit

quote:

Carp Clan Ancestor: Kohaku (5 points)

There are many stories of the wild adventures had by Kohaku, but few believed his stories of adventure in the Burning Sands. However, the resulting pillow books remain classic literature. When there are no samurai around to witness your actions, you gain a +1k1 bonus on Bugei and Social Skill rolls.

Constraint: If you ever abandon a call to adventure or a chance to travel to exotic destinations, Kohaku will forsake you.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread