Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Death Priest posted:

Let's take this thread back into trails in the sky territory to discuss Joshua and Cassius for a moment.

Right at the beginning of SC, Cassius tells Estelle that he was almost killed by Joshua when they fought. Yet at the end of FC, Joshua had a very different version of that story to tell, and that version seems to fit a lot better with what we're shown at the beginning of that game.

I think what Cassius meant was that Joshua almost got the drop on him, and he believes that if that had been the case, he would have died. It didn't and he was able to defeat Joshua because he was a much stronger fighter. This would be consistent with a comment Joshua makes later in SC (chapter 6 I think)regarding his chances of winning against Loewe in a straight fight being almost nil.

That's the explanation I came up with, but I'm interested in hearing others ideas.

The writing intention, for what it's worth, is that they're both upselling the other; this is true in Japanese and it was preserved in English as much as possible. (It does read a tiny bit more "dramatically" in the printed English version of Cassius' take, but even in the most literal reading possible of the Japanese, his perspective is still that the whole thing was a hell of a fight, not just the opening blow.)

This is just Editor's Suspicion, and shouldn't be taken as "canon", but the way it went down was probably something like this: Joshua gets the ambush and does come really close to killing Cassius right there. Cassius manages to survive but is struggling from a disadvantaged position for a while, partially out of pure surprise and partially out of the different sort of surprise that comes from a preteen trying to murder you. Eventually, however, J just can't keep up the offense against someone who is, even then, a Eight Leaf Divine Blade and eventually is defeated. Cassius then saves him from the "retaliation" of J's Ouroboros comrades (which we now know was part of the ploy).

Basically, it was probably a hell of a fight either way, and they're both trying to make each other sound better in their versions. That's also kind of a Japanese thing to do, in a way, so I sort of wonder if that just doesn't quite cross the culture gap by default. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

The writing intention, for what it's worth, is that they're both upselling the other; this is true in Japanese and it was preserved in English as much as possible. (It does read a tiny bit more "dramatically" in the printed English version of Cassius' take, but even in the most literal reading possible of the Japanese, his perspective is still that the whole thing was a hell of a fight, not just the opening blow.)

This is just Editor's Suspicion, and shouldn't be taken as "canon", but the way it went down was probably something like this: Joshua gets the ambush and does come really close to killing Cassius right there. Cassius manages to survive but is struggling from a disadvantaged position for a while, partially out of pure surprise and partially out of the different sort of surprise that comes from a preteen trying to murder you. Eventually, however, J just can't keep up the offense against someone who is, even then, a Eight Leaf Divine Blade and eventually is defeated. Cassius then saves him from the "retaliation" of J's Ouroboros comrades (which we now know was part of the ploy).

Basically, it was probably a hell of a fight either way, and they're both trying to make each other sound better in their versions. That's also kind of a Japanese thing to do, in a way, so I sort of wonder if that just doesn't quite cross the culture gap by default. :v:

Thanks for the info about the japanese text, I appreciate getting your take on this. The only thing that remains a little weird from my point of view is that at the beginning of FC, Cassius doesn't look hurt at all while Joshua has a little wound on his portrait. Obviously, Cassius' wounds could be under his clothes and there is no way he'd go home to his daughter all bloody and half-dead but, appearances, at the very least, made Joshua's version of the story appear more credible.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Death Priest posted:

Thanks for the info about the japanese text, I appreciate getting your take on this. The only thing that remains a little weird from my point of view is that at the beginning of FC, Cassius doesn't look hurt at all while Joshua has a little wound on his portrait. Obviously, Cassius' wounds could be under his clothes and there is no way he'd go home to his daughter all bloody and half-dead but, appearances, at the very least, made Joshua's version of the story appear more credible.

i assume some time had passed between the two events

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I think I remember what looked like a bandage around Cassius's head in the still image in Joshua's "story" at the end of FC, during the part where Joshua is talking about how outmatched he was.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cute

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh my

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Don't let caphi see that.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Finally getting around to this game.

Towa is adorable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chapter 6 end spoilers:

lol of course the maid is a loving Enforcer, what else could she be

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Cassius is still spoken of in high terms even in Erebonia, but his nickname gets demistified a bit. Divine blade is a title given to any one who has mastered the Eight Leaves sword style, they even mention the bracer from Crossbell who's in Zero/Ao is a Divine blade.

I knew that. I also knew that Master Kai-Fai, the head of Eight Leaves School is also Analace's grandfather, he's also the teacher of both Cassius and Rean. I like learning about s little things like this, it really fleshed out the overall world.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Had a ten hour drive home today and mulled over some of my thoughts about Cold Steel.

Overall I really really like the game, it's extremely ambitious, using a new engine to show off a much much MUCH bigger landmass than Liberl or Crossbell combined seems like an outright crazy idea conceptually, though obviously by the end of Cold Steel 1(and from what I read, CS2 also) there's still a lot of Erebonia left to see.

I think the cast was a little too big, a lot of characters seem to exist only to create questions for the sequel to answer. I think the characters who are good are really good, however.

The ending was super cool but also lacks the sort of pseudo closure that FC provided before the massive cliffhanger, which would likely be more of a problem to me if they hadn't already confirmed CS2 would hit next year.

The pacing also wasn't as tight as FC which I assume is mostly due to them having to do so much more world building than usual given the scale of Erebonia.

A lot of the twists at the end were really cool, though expected after playing through FC and SC. I will admit the Sharon not being on active duty as an enforcer reveal was not somehting I was expecting at all, and is a nice twist on that type of reveal in these games.

I think it has more going for it than FC did, if only because it's building on what FC started and the rest of the games continued to build on, in terms of world building and lore. The tighter pace of FC however makes it edge out barely for me over. So my preference would go SC, FC and CS, though obviously all 3 games are excellent.

I really liked this game, I can't wait for the sequel, and I hope we get the rest of these games soon(because we will get them, Slur) so I can figure out what all this Crossbell hubbub is about!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

(ending) okay where the gently caress did all these giant robots come from

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Really Pants posted:

(ending) okay where the gently caress did all these giant robots come from

From your pants.

They knew you wanted them, so they popped on out.

Really, though, there've been giant robots since FC!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supremezero posted:

Really, though, there've been giant robots since FC!

That is true, but by the end of Trails in the Sky FC you've been hearing everywhere about ancient Zemuria's crazy fancy technology. Those bots get a lot of buildup. Then at the end of Cold Steel you're fighting demons in the old schoolhouse so they don't cancel the festival and boom mecha out of nowhere. Then suddenly everybody's got one.

some more Cold Steel ending questions: I assume it's always the classmate with the most link points who says goodbye right before that loving cat forces Rean to bug out? What happens if Sara or Crow have the most? And is the whole Crossbell poo poo-storm a new development, or a reference to other games that haven't come out of Japan yet?

I hope Sharon stays nice in the next game. It'd be interesting to have a friendly Enforcer around.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

some more Cold Steel ending questions: I assume it's always the classmate with the most link points who says goodbye right before that loving cat forces Rean to bug out? What happens if Sara or Crow have the most? And is the whole Crossbell poo poo-storm a new development, or a reference to other games that haven't come out of Japan yet?

it's who you dance with. i chose crow so i'm not sure what that changed if anything.

Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure take place concurrently with Cold Steel I/II and take place in Crossbell.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Really Pants posted:

That is true, but by the end of Trails in the Sky FC you've been hearing everywhere about ancient Zemuria's crazy fancy technology. Those bots get a lot of buildup. Then at the end of Cold Steel you're fighting demons in the old schoolhouse so they don't cancel the festival and boom mecha out of nowhere. Then suddenly everybody's got one.

By the end of FC you've been hearing everywhere about ancient Zemuria's crazy technology and fought a giant robot from there.

By the midpoint of SC, you've fought a giant robot made during the modern era.

Incidentally, there's more giant robots in Ao.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Not to mention there's a bunch of lore in Erebonia with reference to the Eisenritter, who are clearly meant to be these things.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

Not to mention there's a bunch of lore in Erebonia with reference to the Eisenritter, who are clearly meant to be these things.

Can't be. Laura's family are supposedly descended from one of the Eisenritter.

... though if she's part giant robot, might make sense...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oliver is great. Please tell me that I'll see more of him later. :allears:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Olivier is great. Please tell me that I'll see more of him later. :allears:

and yes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

even in the non-Sky games

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

free the post

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oliver is great. Please tell me that I'll see more of him later. :allears:

Olivier somehow ended up being the one character consistent throughout every game in the series.

Well, I say somehow, but you know how.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Erg posted:

free the post

thank you, friend

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Excellent. I wasn't feeling Trails at first, but it's been growing on me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah the game immediately picks up once Olivier shows up and builds on that enjoyment steadily as it goes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supremezero posted:

Can't be. Laura's family are supposedly descended from one of the Eisenritter.

... though if she's part giant robot, might make sense...

Eisenritter stands for iron knight.

knights wear armor.

ipso facto.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
So, I just finished the events after clearing tartarus in Cold Steel chapter 4 and I have a question.

Since this is a Falcom game, is it safe to assume that red eyes and red text mean the same thing as they do in Ys ?

I'd rather not be spoiled too much so a simple yes or no answer would suffice.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Okay, so I'm a few hours into Cold Steel and I have a few questions about the game mechanics.

Are APs worth it? Do they improve the party's combat proficiency in any meaningful way?

What do the different ranks of crafts represent? (They seem to go on an alphabetic grading system, what was the reason behind this?)

How does CP recover? I noticed that the CP bar is yellow for certain characters and green for others. Any particular reason?

What about orbment colors? Can I just throw whichever quartz I want in the orbments regardless of the color of the grand quartz? I understand that certain slots are reserved for certain colors, but do the quartz colors matter much beyond that?

What about lines within the orbments? Some characters have up to four 'lines' while others only have two. What's the main function of them? Should I be building the lines a certain way depending on the character?

Are battle bonuses (like +10 CP and zero arts) randomly spawned?

I'm sure I'll think of a few others, but this game is rad as gently caress and I want to understand the mechanics as much as I can.

Edit: One last question. When do S-Breaks become available? Once CP is filled? Are they just supermoves that can be used whenever you feel like it as long as they're charged? Is there some deeper mechanic that I'm missing?

Way Strong Pimphand fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 4, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

1) When you hit certain AP benchmarks you get rewards (good quartz/gear)

2) Damage. S is above A though.

3) When you deal/receive damage.

4) They only matter for locked slots. Quartz having different elements is mainly a relic from the orbment system in the prior Legend of Heroes games.

5) You can only have one status effect/debuff per line. Also, as you unlock slots your max EP increases proportional to the length of the line, so people with longer lines will have more EP in the end. Again, this is something of a relic mechanic from prior LoH games where lines meant more.

6) Random yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

Okay, so I'm a few hours into Cold Steel and I have a few questions about the game mechanics.

Are APs worth it? Do they improve the party's combat proficiency in any meaningful way?

What do the different ranks of crafts represent? (They seem to go on an alphabetic grading system, what was the reason behind this?)

How does CP recover? I noticed that the CP bar is yellow for certain characters and green for others. Any particular reason?

What about orbment colors? Can I just throw whichever quartz I want in the orbments regardless of the color of the grand quartz? I understand that certain slots are reserved for certain colors, but do the quartz colors matter much beyond that?

What about lines within the orbments? Some characters have up to four 'lines' while others only have two. What's the main function of them? Should I be building the lines a certain way depending on the character?

Are battle bonuses (like +10 CP and zero arts) randomly spawned?

I'm sure I'll think of a few others, but this game is rad as gently caress and I want to understand the mechanics as much as I can.

AP are the same as Bracer Points in TitS if you played that. If not: They get you valuable items and it's at least worth going for them because free items and almost all of them are really good items.

Higher-rank crafts do more base damage from what I gather.

CP recovers when you do or take damage. There are other ways to recover CP such as items or spells. When a bar reaches 100 that character can use a S-Craft or S-Break if they've unlocked it. When the bar reaches 200 the S-Craft/Break reaches its maximum potential damage.

Do not stress about orbment colors. Unless a slot is color-locked you can basically just toss on whatever.

Lines are also not really worth stressing out about. They were more important in previous games but have been hugely simplified. The only real critical thing is that longer lined characters tend to be better at magic and multi-line characters better at physical and their orbments support that. You can equip a wider variety of quartz (especially status-effect quartzes) on multi-line characters while long-line characters have more EP to spend.

The battle bonuses are randomly spawned, yes.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I noticed that the CP bar is yellow for certain characters and green for others. Any particular reason?

When a character has less than 100 CP, the empty/black part of the bar will fill yellow. Above 100 CP, the bar will fill up a second time in green.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
You guys rock with those responses, huge help!

And was I correct in assuming that S-Breaks are just super-moves that can be used whenever you feel like it as long as they're charged? Nothing more to it? Are S-Breaks and S-Crafts different? And I take it that S-Breaks/Crafts will use the remainder of a character's CP?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah.

S-Break is just what the game calls it when you use an S-Craft when it's not your turn.

They use all your CP, with a respectable damage boost if it's at 200 (it needs to be 200, 199 will do the same as 100.)

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Few more questions. I'm still trying to decode all the letters on the orbment screen.

For example, Golden Sphere reads
[Attack (Set) - Area (S) - Blind (30%)]

What does the word 'Set' mean next to attack. Does the (S) next to area indicate the range quality?

Also, how do Master Quartzes gain EXP? Is it through normal battles?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Set means that you can center the attack wherever you want, as opposed to it being centered on an enemy target.

The (S) is the radius of the effect (in this case small).

Just through fighting, yeah

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
I think this should be my last question for the night, but is Soul Blur a rare quartz?

For example, it reads:
(R) Attack - One - Faint (30%)]
(SPD+3) Emits a time-space shaking pulse.

Does the R stand for rare? I take it the user would also gain +3 speed upon use?

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys have been awesome.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think this should be my last question for the night, but is Soul Blur a rare quartz?

For example, it reads:
(R) Attack - One - Faint (30%)]
(SPD+3) Emits a time-space shaking pulse.

Does the R stand for rare? I take it the user would also gain +3 speed upon use?

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys have been awesome.

A rare quartz is a special instance of that quartz with an added effect. A regular Soul Blur allows access to that art, but a rare one provides a stat boost on top of that (SPD+3, in this case).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, after playing and enjoying Cold Steel, I realized I never got very far into Trails in the Sky for whatever reason, despite owning it. So I decided to start up a new game and try to figure out why, and almost immediately realized the reason. It's probably because both back then and now I defaulted to choosing the Hard difficulty, which, while totally doable in Cold Steel, is INCREDIBLY frustrating in TitS, at least early on. I don't think I ever even got out of the prologue, due to a monster chest basically destroying me with no chance of me making it through.

Is it just the case of a rough difficulty curve that I should push through, or should I just pussy out and play on Normal? I wanna see the story but if Normal is too easy I probably won't enjoy it much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is it just the case of a rough difficulty curve that I should push through, or should I just pussy out and play on Normal? I wanna see the story but if Normal is too easy I probably won't enjoy it much either.

normal isn't too difficult but it isn't pathetically easy either, and when you get into sc you'll start getting into considerably more tough fights regardless of difficulty