Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

After opening the package it has ribs, so I guess it's a loin? First one I've ever cooked though. I went ahead and put a dry rub on it; still sound like something I should roast instead of slow cook?

Yep, I think what you want to do with that is treat it like prime rib. Roast to 130ish F internal temp, rest, slice, consume juicy and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nicol Bolas posted:

Yep, I think what you want to do with that is treat it like prime rib. Roast to 130ish F internal temp, rest, slice, consume juicy and delicious.

I would not roast pork to 130ish unless you really, really, really like the texture of raw pork AND you're getting the pork from a trusted source.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Casu Marzu posted:

I would not roast pork to 130ish unless you really, really, really like the texture of raw pork AND you're getting the pork from a trusted source.

:agreed: also a shoulder roast or something would probably be more appropriate for pulled pork but I'm not a BBQ aficianado

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

A few years back the USDA revised the suggested internal temp for pork from something like 165 or 170 F down to 145 or so. The bacteria that caused the higher temp requirement has apparently been eradicated in the US pig population. That said, agreed that 130F sounds pretty low to me, and you don't really need to worry about cooking pulled pork to a certain doneness. If you're doing it properly, a hell of a long time in some fatty liquid at low temp will cook the meat through, and you'll know it's done by tenderness alone.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

:agreed: also a shoulder roast or something would probably be more appropriate for pulled pork but I'm not a BBQ aficianado

A shoulder roast would definitely be better but they didn't have any apparently.

It has the strip of fat on top so I'm going to try to make pulled pork out of it. Worst case scenario I'll have... something?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goons that have a pizza steel (and also happen to be metallurgists):

I'm planning on picking up a piece of steel plate to make delicious pizzas on, and I had a thought. I can purchase a 1/2" thick piece of 12x12 hot rolled steel from here for ~$30 + ~$50 shipping (3/8ths is more expensive; I have no idea why).

However, I can pick up a 3/8" thick piece of 12x12 6061 aluminum for ~$50 + ~$30 shipping. Now, on paper, aluminum looks like a pretty good deal for the same price shipped. Twice the specific heat of steel, 4x the conductivity, and 1/4 the weight. And it doesn't rust. Is there a specific reason why I should prefer steel over aluminum that I'm missing?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 3, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It doesn't have the thermal mass of steel, which means it might get drained of its stored heat before it can finish cooking a pizza. But maybe it has enough for one pizza. Who knows?

1/2 inch steel is kinda ridiculous. Is there a 1/4 thick option?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It doesn't have the thermal mass of steel, which means it might get drained of its stored heat before it can finish cooking a pizza. But maybe it has enough for one pizza. Who knows?

1/2 inch steel is kinda ridiculous. Is there a 1/4 thick option?

There is. It's not much cheaper though, and doing the math, a 3/8" aluminum plate has almost exactly the same thermal mass as a 1/4" steel plate while still weighing half as much.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=specific+heat+of+steel+*+10.188lbs

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=specific+heat+of+aluminum+*+5.292+lbs

(Weights taken directly from the Online Metals website.)

Is a 12" x 12" x 1/4" steel plate enough thermal mass in general? I know most people on here use 14" x 16" x 3/8".

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd be more worried about the size than the material. 12 x 12 seems small to me.

½" thick steel will be heavy as gently caress though. I have ⅜ and I hate moving it when it's hot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'd be more worried about the size than the material. 12 x 12 seems small to me.

½" thick steel will be heavy as gently caress though. I have ⅜ and I hate moving it when it's hot.

Hence why I'm trying to do aluminum. A 14" x 16" x 3/8" aluminum plate only weighs 8 lbs. Compare that to almost 24 lbs for steel of the same size. Unfortunately, 14 x 16 is not a standard size and would cost ~$100 before shipping.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

Hence why I'm trying to do aluminum. A 14" x 16" x 3/8" aluminum plate only weighs 8 lbs. Compare that to almost 24 lbs for steel of the same size. Unfortunately, 14 x 16 is not a standard size and would cost ~$100 before shipping.
That mass does make a difference re: pizzas. If you're worried about cost imo get a stone before an aluminum plate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

That mass does make a difference re: pizzas. If you're worried about cost imo get a stone before an aluminum plate.

Look again at my previous post. Yes, the mass matters because it determines how much energy the plate can hold, but aluminum can hold twice as much energy per gram as steel. It's also 4x as conductive, so that energy will move into the pizza faster.

This one might be okay if I make long, skinny pizzas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-x-15-1-4-x-10-1-4-6061-ALUMINUM-PLATE-/181318201639?hash=item2a37683127

Kinda wish it was an inch wider, but it sure as hell is cheap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here we go. This is perfect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Inch-18...IYAAOSweW5VB1Kx

6510 J/°C puts it on par with a 30 lb hunk of steel for energy storage, but weighs just over half that.

I'm gonna cook some mean pizzas on that bad boy.

There's also this one, if anyone plans on starting a restaurant or something insane:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Inch-18...ykAAOSwPhdVLZA0

And a more reasonable size that I probably should have gotten:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Inch-12-x18-6061-T651-Aluminum-Tooling-Flat-Sheet-Plate-Bar-Mill-Stock/381249274065

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get it and make a pizza. Those prices are drat cheap compared to most pizza steels on the market.

Edit: I changed my mind and got the 12x18 after realizing the 18x18 won't fit in my oven. :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 3, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/pizza-hack-baking-copper.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I read that article, yes. However, I'm not buying a 1/4 inch copper plate in the hopes that it will be better than steel. I'm buying a 1/2 inch aluminum plate in the hopes that it will be comparable to steel while being significantly lighter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The other question is whether it radiates energy as well as steel, which is a big question mark.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, considering things like heat sinks and radiator fins are very often made out of aluminum, I imagine odds are good that it's pretty decent at it.

We're gonna find out! :science:

Also, the ebay listing offers free returns for up to 30 days. So I'm not too worried about it.

Edit: I looked it up. The answer is "it depends on how polished it is."

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/emissivity-coefficients-d_447.html

However, I'd wager that a very small percentage of the heat entering the crust does so through radiation compared to conduction.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 4, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've read elsewhere that it might actually realease heat too quickly and burn the bottom

https://www.chefsteps.com/forum/posts/pizza-steel-why-not-pizza-aluminum-9

But hey, I'm all for experiments.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I've read elsewhere that it might actually realease heat too quickly and burn the bottom

https://www.chefsteps.com/forum/posts/pizza-steel-why-not-pizza-aluminum-9

But hey, I'm all for experiments.

I thought about this. Since the speed at which energy moves into the pizza is dependant on the temperature delta, the solution would be to heat the aluminum to a lower temperature. Of course, all aluminum has a thin coating of oxide on the surface, which has lower conductivity than steel and might cancel it out. I think the only real answer is to test it.

My main concern is that aluminum melts at like 1200 degrees. I don't want my new pizza "steel" warping after a few uses.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Aluminum is discussed in the comments of that Serious Eats article.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Aluminum is discussed in the comments of that Serious Eats article.

Ah, didn't see the comments. Looks like the consensus is "performs no better than the steel, but weighs a hell of a lot less," which is what I'm going for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, rat buddy seems to suggest Kenji will have an aluminum test in the near future.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Micomicona posted:

Please post a vegetarian thread!

Awesome, I'm working on a useful OP now with some starter recipes and hopefully some good resources.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
What's a good method for cleaning the oven door window on a conventional electric oven? It's not spattered with caked-on stuff, it's just really old and hazy and I'd like to be able to read the thermometer without opening the door if I can.

p.s. RIP GBS sardine thread, you were too good for this world.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

What's a good method for cleaning the oven door window on a conventional electric oven? It's not spattered with caked-on stuff, it's just really old and hazy and I'd like to be able to read the thermometer without opening the door if I can.

I run the oven cleaning cycle and then scrape it with a razor blade

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
How do you use an "instant" thermometer? I tried using mine over the four day weekend, cooking both steak and burger on my cast iron pan. I wanted to cook both medium rare. Both took longer to heat up than I expected, but then I ended up cooking them both medium well because I lost faith in the thermometer. The burger was only okay, the steak was still flavorful because I was basting it in butter and garlic. My confusion is how deep I'm supposed to go with this. Does the thermometer read from the point of the stick, or is it a little deeper in? Am I just lightly jabbing my meat, or do I need to really impale it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The thermometer should read from the point.

Which brand is it?

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

hogmartin posted:

You could try a mix of baking soda and dishwashing liquid if your oven doesn't have a self cleaning cycle. Make a paste and smear it on. Let it sit for a while (15+ minutes) and then scrub/wipe/rinse.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hogmartin posted:

it's in the goldmine and a new one has been started

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

hogmartin posted:

This is a good question. In the same vein, I'd like to know how to clean in between the two windows. Because the dogs who owned this house before we did left their fur there (and everywhere else you just can't loving get to with ordinary methods). :psyduck:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

it's in the goldmine and a new one has been started

I knew it was goldmined but I didn't know a new one was underway. Thanks!

also, anybody know how to bookmark a goldmined thread?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm a starting cook and I'm looking for an easier to manage way to keep all my cooking recipes.

At the moment, I have a 200 page word document with all of them as just individual pages. Its getting to be a bit unwieldy to find that one thing I'm looking for, so I'm looking into a better option. When I'm cooking a thing I'll either print it out or just constantly go back over to the computer.

As for viewing them once they are kept somewhere, I don't like printing them very much because its wasteful and I tend to make constant little changes. I'd love for something I could put either on my phone or on my TV through Roku.

I'm leaning toward keeping the word document, adding linked chapters to help navigate better. I want to check to make sure there isn't a really easy solution I'm missing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Good brand of mexican hot sauce that I could find somewhere like Whole Foods? (I can't make any at the moment). I'm looking for something more like the sauce you would get from a street food vendor, not a bottle of Tapatio or whatever.

(I can't make any right now, must be bought).

Xenoborg posted:

I'm a starting cook and I'm looking for an easier to manage way to keep all my cooking recipes.

At the moment, I have a 200 page word document with all of them as just individual pages. Its getting to be a bit unwieldy to find that one thing I'm looking for, so I'm looking into a better option. When I'm cooking a thing I'll either print it out or just constantly go back over to the computer.

As for viewing them once they are kept somewhere, I don't like printing them very much because its wasteful and I tend to make constant little changes. I'd love for something I could put either on my phone or on my TV through Roku.

I'm leaning toward keeping the word document, adding linked chapters to help navigate better. I want to check to make sure there isn't a really easy solution I'm missing.

I use Paprika

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

psychokitty posted:

This is a good question. In the same vein, I'd like to know how to clean in between the two windows. Because the dogs who owned this house before we did left their fur there (and everywhere else you just can't loving get to with ordinary methods). :psyduck:

You can't in any effective way. Thanks for that mind-numbingly stupid design, Maytag/Jenn-Air!

At least yours is only hair and not spilled food too. :suicide:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
evernote is p good for recipe organization, since almost all of my recipes are on websites i simply save a copy of it to evernote and add tags to help find it later.

i'm up to 800 saved recopies and have only tried making about 200 of them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

psychokitty posted:

A coworker of mine tried to have a handyman clean between the glass on her oven door before she sold her house. She said it took forever to get the door apart and the glass broke when he finally got it open. Ended up being a bit of an ordeal but she got new glass out of the deal. Based on her story, I would not attempt to do it myself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use Paprika

Paprika is indeed the poo poo. It's all I use now.

fake edit: Tapatio, Cholula and El Yucateco are the Mexican hot sauces I'm familiar with.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Good brand of mexican hot sauce that I could find somewhere like Whole Foods? (I can't make any at the moment). I'm looking for something more like the sauce you would get from a street food vendor, not a bottle of Tapatio or whatever.

I would pour Valentina directly into my face-hole if it were socially acceptable, plus it's like $1.29 a liter. Not super spicy though, not sure if that's a big deal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hogmartin posted:

I would pour Valentina directly into my face-hole if it were socially acceptable, plus it's like $1.29 a liter. Not super spicy though, not sure if that's a big deal.

I got a liter of Valentina for a Christmas gift, easily top 3 for gifts this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

psychokitty posted:

On my oven, you can take the door off and remove one piece of glass to clean between them. I found instructions on how to do in the oven's manual after I spilled cake batter inside it.

For cleaning the oven I just use Oven Cleaner/Caustic Soda, you just let it soak in for 5 minutes then wipe it off. It'll clean off almost anything, but it's corrosive stuff, so the other suggestions would probably be safer.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 4, 2016