Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Please forgive me a bit of a rambling effort post, folks. I'm going to belabor the obvious, for the sake of CIG people or Redditors who visit here.

2016 - THE SPACE GAME RACE IS HERE

TL:DR
The marketplace that barely existed when Star Citizen kicked off their crowdfunding campaign is about to crowded with great IP, much of it VR friendly and truly IMMERSIVE-- while Star Citizen keeps promising the world Soon™ and spergs keep throwing this thing out as an excuse. These new space games are likely to deliver superior gameplay experiences in their respective niches. Unlike Star Citizen, many of them are VR-Native and thus delivering a kind of visceral experiential thrill that simply CAN NOT BE REPLICATED ON A FLAT SCREEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH FIDELITY YOU THROW AT IT. A lot of ink will be spilled about these titles-- and "immersive" is going to be stolen back from Chris Roberts and conferred upon titles that actually deliver upon that promise.

Where will Star Citizen be when the Space Game Race truly begins? If past is prologue, they'll be missing more deadlines, releasing buggy updates, pumping out more crappy marketing videos, and sitting out the very race they were favored by all to win.

(Sorry to ramble and sorrier still if the post bored anyone.)

Thanks chris for saving pc gaming after all! I want to get excited for vr but i can't help but feel it'll be an awesome gimmick that gets tiresome as gently caress the longer you use it. A bit like force feedback joysticks or something. Great tradeshow experience but if you're settling in for a night of gaming and the 'dew you'll be sweaty and neck sore after an hour or so.

This POV comes from complete ignorance though, I haven't tried one. But I'm buying a fancy 144hz ips gsync monitor this year for my manchild cave rather than an rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

redwalrus posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::
http://youtu.be/qqcN6UkKfog?t=11m39s
Chris Roberts says they're working on procedural planets with Crysis level fidelity where you can hunt alien animals now

Seriously, he said that. Did you see the look on his face as he was saying that? I mean, is he serious?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Oh gently caress, I can't stop my mouth! What am I about to say? gently caress, gently caress, gently caress.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Scot Manley is at it again. This time, investigating a death in the bug-infested universe of Star Citizen

Do stay for the comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8D1V3Q0EQg

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
If a developer says they have multi-crew ships, Chris says he's gonna have multi-crew ships with bartending and in-flight movies. If a developer says they've finished planetary landings, Chris says he's gonna have procedurally generated planets with procedurally generated wildlife. If a developer says they support VR, Chris says they're gonna support VR with free blow-job attachment and integrated space hookers.

Someone ought to tell Chris that there's a big difference between saying you're going to do something, and actually doing it. His backers could use that lesson too. This guy opens his yap, and I swear they're carving that poo poo onto stone tablets.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Scot Manley is at it again. This time, investigating a death in the bug-infested universe of Star Citizen

Do stay for the comments

The comment thread about decoupling the renderer from the game logic is incredible. The argument seems to be "No, CIG aren't that incompetent it must be something else.."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Chris should cash in on the forthcoming smash hit Space Cop by adding a police cop jpeg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjiE0OD4K0

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Do stay for the comments

Known goon heretic, safely ignorable

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

Please forgive me a bit of a rambling effort post, folks. I'm going to belabor the obvious, for the sake of CIG people or Redditors who visit here.

No Enemy Starfighter, list is invalid!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Berious posted:

Thanks chris for saving pc gaming after all! I want to get excited for vr but i can't help but feel it'll be an awesome gimmick that gets tiresome as gently caress the longer you use it. A bit like force feedback joysticks or something. Great tradeshow experience but if you're settling in for a night of gaming and the 'dew you'll be sweaty and neck sore after an hour or so.

This POV comes from complete ignorance though, I haven't tried one. But I'm buying a fancy 144hz ips gsync monitor this year for my manchild cave rather than an rift
I have the ROG 144 -- and it's a great monitor for gaming. But for Elite-- I'd much rather feel like I was in the cockpit than watching it on a flat screen. I envy the sense of awe and scale that VR players experience, to say nothing of the competitive advantages. Track IR works alright but I'd rather have a 1-to-1 scale of motion when following other ships.

But if I had to pick one or the other if I'd stick with the monitor.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

redwalrus posted:

Chris Roberts says they're working on procedural planets with Crysis level fidelity where you can hunt alien animals now

Hang on, does CryEngine even provide a basic quadruped animation rig? I know it is a bitch to get looking right (Ubi spent years getting it to look good for Far Cry), so if the engine doesn't support it natively.... well... let's just say even CIGs biped animation looks rear end IMO.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Berious posted:

Chris should cash in on the forthcoming smash hit Space Cop by adding a police cop jpeg

This raises a good point. Are there special patrol jpegs being sold so you can imagine yourself in a game one day, stopping griefers?

Think of how well this would sell. With a well-worded sales pitch, you could have every sperg who imagines himself the arbiter of all that is right and proper in "the 'verse" patrolling through space, enforcing their will, with the endorsement of Christ Roberts himself.

"Did you ram a ship off the pad? Put down your weapons, you're coming with me."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

They're not going to put any thought into it, either, until SQ42 releases and Christ reviews how much money he has left, and how far he can run with the money he has. I'm sure he's implied to his followers that the income from the inevitable success of SQ42 (income? success?) will continue to fuel production of the BDSSE (despite saying, multiple times, months ago, that he already have enough cash to do it.) He says it, they repeat it; consequently, it's fact.

Remember that they're denying refunds cause 2.0 is enough of a game to satisfy their tos.

I have a feeling they're just gonna add a few more ships, make a playable area bigger, add a few minor features and call it a day after 42 gets released. Cig will either be out of money or cr will peace the gently caress out with nerd cash.

It's really hosed up that they release 2.0 then immediately start telling people they can't get their money back cause 2.0 is out and that's enough of a game.

Then again it's funny that the cultists still think they're going to get a feature complete game and I can't wait for the ritual suicides to begin.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel posted:

This thread has it all, heartbreaking pleas for immersion, 'they are working on it', feature bloat and more

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/311145/very-long-animation-it-s-not-for-game
Mods care about immersion too

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6198876/#Comment_6198876

"real world simulator"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6199098/#Comment_6199098

"How is your impatience more important than other players (possibly hundreds at a time) immersion?"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6199684/#Comment_6199684

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
immersion is frequently losing all control of your character

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So apparently this week's 104TC actually contained information. Like, usable poo poo.

- Capital ships will have "safe zones" in orbit where you can park them and nobody will be able to gently caress with them (MY IMMERSION). Outside those safe zones then maybe, potentially, depending on how they do it, those ships might be safe.

- LOL you won't be able to buy used ships. You can only buy new ones and sell your used ones to the dealer at a discount. Well maybe, longer term, you'll be able to do it. You will "definitely" be able to transfer ships between players though, within the rules, with poo poo likes taxes. No mention of when that would happen though.

- Autopilot is gone. Now the plan for landing is for there to be landing "tunnels" that you'll fly through. Go outside the bounds and your ship will go on auto-pilot to avoid Space 9/11. Also procedural stuff will now included Crysis level detail on animals and vegetation so you can be a space hunter and skin your prey.

I guess when you have no schedule you can leapfrog Elite and No Man's Sky in a single sentence.

Hahahahahahah, holy gently caress. You have to have brain damage to believe this is true at this point. Its getting hard to hate Chris Roberts at this point because these retards have long since brought it upon themselves. If there was a space game coming out with an intricate law enforcement system, Chris Roberts would promise a Space FBI with Space Forensics.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Hang on, does CryEngine even provide a basic quadruped animation rig? I know it is a bitch to get looking right (Ubi spent years getting it to look good for Far Cry), so if the engine doesn't support it natively.... well... let's just say even CIGs biped animation looks rear end IMO.

Its pointless to ask because this poo poo will not ever happen. Their schedule of things to work on doesn't even exist and its probably whatever Chris wants fixed that day.

And I just learned SQ42 is going to be a sandbox. What? How the gently caress is it going to come out in 2016 then? The only way is if it is a mostly empty hub with WoW like side-missions ('shoot 50 space rats' or 'go here and then back again') filled with the most mind-numbing poo poo.

G0RF posted:

The marketplace that barely existed when Star Citizen kicked off their crowdfunding campaign is about to crowded with great IP, much of it VR friendly and truly IMMERSIVE-- while Star Citizen keeps promising the world Soon™ and spergs keep throwing this thing out as an excuse. These new space games are likely to deliver superior gameplay experiences in their respective niches. Unlike Star Citizen, many of them are VR-Native and thus delivering a kind of visceral experiential thrill that simply CAN NOT BE REPLICATED ON A FLAT SCREEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH FIDELITY YOU THROW AT IT. A lot of ink will be spilled about these titles-- and "immersive" is going to be stolen back from Chris Roberts and conferred upon titles that actually deliver upon that promise.

Where will Star Citizen be when the Space Game Race truly begins? If past is prologue, they'll be missing more deadlines, releasing buggy updates, pumping out more crappy marketing videos, and sitting out the very race they were favored by all to win. [/b]

(Sorry to ramble and sorrier still if the post bored anyone.)

That's the ironic thing. All of these games will be better and out before Star Citizen can even have an impact. Its becoming more and more apparent that there are no more potential buyers for Star Citizen anymore. When E.V.E Valkyrie comes out, ED and NMS will be the targets for other VR experiences. ED will already be out, while NMS is releasing in June. SQ42 will be lucky to release in November, let alone 2016.

The entire joke of Star Citizen is that it isn't even going to save the Space Sim genre. Its competitors will take any potential sales from it and it will increasingly have to rely on deluded morons to fill its coffers because there's no point in buying something that is never materializing and has hundreds of millions of dollars over something that already exists.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

- LOL you won't be able to buy used ships. You can only buy new ones and sell your used ones to the dealer at a discount. Well maybe, longer term, you'll be able to do it. You will "definitely" be able to transfer ships between players though, within the rules, with poo poo likes taxes. No mention of when that would happen though.

I thought it said somewhere you could sell it to other players, but that CiG could take a percentage of the sale as "transfer tax".

EDIT: Whoops misread you post.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

immersion is frequently losing all control of your character

Didn't someone say that losing control of your character is incredibly disorienting in vr cause like your head will be moving one way but the character will keep doing their thing so your brain gets confused.

Lol so much puking is gonna be happening.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

You're gonna be patient and stand there and wait for my animation to finish, because your time is less important than my desperate need to pretend that the 'Verse is my real life.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the starfarer will be hangar ready sometime this month....since it's such a big ship it will take a little longer to be playable though!

I'm the detachable fuel tanks

do these ships even have room for engines / fuel / food / life support systems / etc? or is all that just handwaved away

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

silvergoose posted:

That is making me too excited about eve valkyrie holy gently caress when do I get an oculus rift.

i too want an oculus or some sort of VR rig alas my 970 is not capable of immersive space mans. I am hype for elite's multicrew, and no mans sky shallow as both will probably be.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berious posted:

I'd actually be ok with that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

redwalrus posted:

hahaha :gary:

whoa croberts posted a preview of the procedurally generated wildlife:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 5, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

do these ships even have room for engines / fuel / food / life support systems / etc? or is all that just handwaved away

its that little dude in the back for engines.

As for the other stuff, how else would you fit 2 different elevators in something that small

edit: that cockpit view will be worse than the freelancers

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

HapiMerchant posted:

i too want an oculus or some sort of VR rig alas my 970 is not capable of immersive space mans. I am hype for elite's multicrew, and no mans sky shallow as both will probably be.
The GTX 970 is considered Oculus-ready, according to them--

quote:

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer
Where do you fall short?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

G0RF posted:

The GTX 970 is considered Oculus-ready, according to them--

Where do you fall short?

huh, maybe i don't. I jsut assumed in my head VR was the super elite mega gaming rig territory, Titan territory, etc.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eonwe posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=

I don't know if you can see how many people ignore you unless you are in the top 100 tho

Wow. I mean, I like to post really stupid things on the internet. But to actually get mad enough to put some anonymous user on a comedy website on ignore?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

D_Smart posted:

Seriously, he said that. Did you see the look on his face as he was saying that? I mean, is he serious?

They will ship SQ42 because its single player and they don't face the same limitations they have to face in the PTU.

Most game worlds are a box within a box, think of every world you've ever fallen through, there is a true north and a truth south. The PTU isn't like a single player game where the sun can be moved over the level box and suddenly sunlight, this is space, there is no north and south, theres a bunch of boxes across space all trying to be north and south and generate gravity and projectiles and ships and parts of ships and everything else. The end result is what we've already seen, where spaceships fly right through buildings picking up the people inside of them. Its absolute chaos. http://www.twitch.tv/twerk17/v/33158255 Space? multiplayer? Enter integer accuracy, where as every player gets further and further away from the point of origin the shared cloud computing power starts making GBS threads its pants, and you start to see instances that start at 40fps go down to 2fps as the distributed compute platform tries to calculate a half blown up space turd 2749139295235 meters from players 1-15.

I find that twitch clip so interesting because it seem to me, to show the janky solutions in place for the problems they're facing. The engine probably somehow decided since the player was that close to the freelancer that he had to be inside, so it moved his player to the instanced server where the freelancer was and placed him on the ship. It probably went through the building because the positions of the ship and space station are being converted from 64-bit down to 32-bit estimates, but I'm just guessing as to how this happened.

The huge list of promises like correctly calculating space physics are a joke. A realistic calculation of shooting a gun in space would apply an equal reaction and your character should be doing cartwheels backward the same speed as the bullet firing. Its just one simple example of hundreds of things they're not calculating in order to even try to get it all working. I'm not trying to put down CIG but Roberts has set an impossible goal, he may have been a game dev 30 years ago, but poo poo is different now and he can tell his team to do something thats never been done before, but what are they supposed to do other than respond with a blank stare?

Knowing this, and now seeing Chris promise Crysis levels of fidelity on procedurally generated planets where I can hunt aliens and skin them to trade their hides later at the market blows my loving mind. If the message all along had been that they're trying to solve problems nobody else is trying to solve it would have been one thing, but instead its not something they discuss, but instead now we get even more Star Citizen promises. Is this bait to raise more money for their single player movie game? I dunno. The PTU though, Its not going to exist. I don't believe it, not in the way they describe. I would like to hear the thoughts of actual game developers reading some of the things being promised, to me they seem absolutely ridiculous but then they say more poo poo!!! There was one article a while back I found really good from Ascent's lead dev, I wish there were more like it. http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ascents-lead-dev-offers-insight-on-the-star-citizen-controversy/

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 5, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

And here's a happy fan

The teeth, Dear God, the teeth....

My immersion! (shudders)

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Malkof posted:

When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an autist
Your mushmouth makes me cry

You phase through a bulkhead
In a beautiful world
And I wish I was a whale
You're such a fuckin' whale

But it's feature creep, I'm a sperg
What the hell another crash?
No one belongs here

I don't care if it hurts
You gotta shave your balls
A perfect hairless body
Give me your cash and soul

Pretend not to notice
Your ship keeps spinning round
Remember it's alpha
It's still loving alpha

But it's feature creep
I'm a dickwulf
What the hell am I buying here
The roadmap is unclear

She's falling through the floor again
She's gonna crash some more, more, more, ahhhhhhhh!

Whatever makes you happy
Whatever you want
Just keep buying jpegs
Just keep buying jpegs

It's feature creep
We'll never be finished
What the hell am I buying here
Just make sure you ban Beer
Make sure you ban Beer

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
Oh that's so cute. Someone finally showed Chris No Mans Sky. Adorable.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Junkozeyne posted:

More importantly, did they also have a rolex?

Nope. They took it off.

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

G0RF posted:

She's kept a surprisingly low profile the last month-- avoiding Reverse the Verse for weeks, letting Ben handle AtV solo. I've missed her.

At least we got that fantastic episode of "Ask Sandi" last month. That was a goldmine- and her appearance on "Fortnightly Frontier" was pretty awesome, too.

So winsome, humble and honest to a fault. How can anyone not love her? She made all this possible-- she gave hundreds of thousands of losers a reason to live again, to believe in the power of dreams again. Human connections have been forged by the thousands -- thanks to her efforts, her talents, her passion. Why wouldn't we be faithful until death to a woman like that?

She did it-- all of it-- and it was really only possible because she's not just any woman-- she's ten in one. And it's not arrogant in the slightest for her to remind us of that constantly. Or Chris, for that matter. It's the truth.

She is the Star in Star Citizen -- and lest you doubt it...

This is the same sort of setup used by cd-project-red and http://ir-ltd.net/ to make stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ja09omkihs

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Goons Ruin Everything

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the starfarer will be hangar ready sometime this month....since it's such a big ship it will take a little longer to be playable though!

I'm the detachable fuel tanks

What sick designer put the lifepods one level down from the berth / mess ?!? How would you feel like waiting for the elevator while the ship is crumbling around you ?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Some reddit guy posted:

Squadron 42 > this

Oh ok sure I'd love to agree, lets just compare the two for fid..

I mean the gameplay is obviously b...

What the gently caress Citizen.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 5, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

Submitted 2 hours ago by GhostOfSatoshi

---

I_TheRenegade_IMercenary 0 points an hour ago
The thought has crossed my mind on that as well... name is remarkable close to a washed up dev I have heard of

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

aleksendr posted:

What sick designer put the lifepods one level down from the berth / mess ?!? How would you feel like waiting for the elevator while the ship is crumbling around you ?

Just use the jefferson tubes.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

"OK guys, we've got Chris' dog Tinkles in today for some mo-cap work. Normally we'd not do mo-cap on a dog, but Sandi is insisting. Now, if we take Tinkles off his lead and... No Tinkles! Come back here! Stop! Stop chewing the cameras! Quick, he's heading over to the PC rigs. Wait, why is he cocking his... NO TINKLES! OH GOD! gently caress! Give me that loving phone. Yeah, Chris? How are we for funds? Yeah? Yeah? Oh. Well, you know we had Tinkles in for some Mo-Cap work today? Yeah! Well, funny thing...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

aleksendr posted:

oh god hull integrity is failing
Gets out of chair at a leisurely pace
oh good since I play solo the elevator is on my level
Presses several <<use>> buttons to operate the lift
Maybe I can get out of here before the goons hit a fuel tank
Proceeds to enter escape pod at :lesnick: speed
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
Ship explodes.

I think the dude doing the whiteboxing(?) is doing a stand up job.

• Locked thread