Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

fishmech posted:

So that's like enough money to get 2 or 3 decent used cars, and they put a Wal-Mart special quality panel in it? Yikes!

You may have misread it as "10k". 100k is enough to buy 2 or 3 decent new cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zemyla posted:

It's in Danish Krone. Unless cars are significantly cheaper in Denmark, that's base model Fiesta money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zemyla posted:

100,000 Danish Krone is currently almost US$15,000. $5000 to $7500 is a fairly decent used car these days, or $15,000 will get you a low end new car (like the Chevy Spark or Mitsubishi Mirage).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You could even get a Fiesta for that. I know which one I'd rather have :v:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Well duh, who woudn't want the Fiesta.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

You could even get a Fiesta for that. I know which one I'd rather have :v:

It's almost like I pointed that out two posts above you. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
so i was agreeing :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

fishmech posted:

100,000 Danish Krone is currently almost US$15,000. $5000 to $7500 is a fairly decent used car these days, or $15,000 will get you a low end new car (like the Chevy Spark or Mitsubishi Mirage).

Except that cars in Denmark have a 180% tax applied to them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Except that cars in Denmark have a 180% tax applied to them.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The tax rate is tiered and there are incentives for fuel economy etc., so it's a lot lower on small and less expensive cars.

100,000 DKK will get you a pretty decent city car, like a VW Up or a Peugeot 108 or something roughly equivalent to a Chevy Spark, with some options.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/324/#t7WB6sQUh3Jag2Wl.97

If we're comparing cars to speakers, a Wilson MAXX will run you into decent 5 series or entry level Porsche territory. All that money and the site is "under construction". :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's a fun one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/419939/audio-grade-fuses

quote:

Last year shortly after I got my Darkvoice Figaro I replaced the stock fuse with one from ISOCLEAN POWER. I could tell a slight difference, a level of clarity. The Figaro went up in smoke a few months ago and so I have a few cool parts to salvage from it and one is the Isoclean.

:irony:

quote:

jumpering the fuse or wiring without fuse should give the best performance.

quote:

Absolutely, the less connections the better. But at the risk of blowing up your equipment. It's for the 10% of the population that likes living constantly on the edge.

quote:

I too noticed a difference when installing the HiFi Tuning fuse ... I mean, over the cheapo that was in my Havana DAC and Stello amp.

The really crazy thing was that the sound of the DAC changed dramatically when switching the fuse polarity (you know, flipping it around in its receptacle).

It's. A. Goddamn. Fuse.

:argh:

E: And some more polarity-related shenanigans. Apparently 92% of all music plays in inverted polarity (phase) on 92% of all playback devices:

http://ultrabitplatinum.com/30-years-of-digital-and-the-92-solution/
http://ultrabitplatinum.com/polarity-think-piece-a-speculation-regarding-perception-of-detail/

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 8, 2016

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
:qq: but but but the harmonics :science: :hydrogen:

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/324/#t7WB6sQUh3Jag2Wl.97

If we're comparing cars to speakers, a Wilson MAXX will run you into decent 5 series or entry level Porsche territory. All that money and the site is "under construction". :v:

Unlike the 5 Series or Porsche, it isn't even good. Audiophile hardware is really weird in that the more expensive it is, the more likely it is tuned for deaf people (Magico + Wilson stuff) or designed by people who still live in the 1960s (Harbeth).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chafe posted:

Unlike the 5 Series or Porsche, it isn't even good. Audiophile hardware is really weird in that the more expensive it is, the more likely it is tuned for deaf people (Magico + Wilson stuff) or designed by people who still live in the 1960s (Harbeth).

How is it tuned for deaf people? Enormously boosted treble?

Because that's the impression I've gotten from the audiophile speakers I've heard. Massively boosted treble because it sounds more "open" and "detailed" and counteracts age-related hearing loss.

I've even heard some weirdo audiophiles talk about "graduating" from preferring a bass-heavy sound to a more midrange/treble-oriented sound, as if it's some kind of personal spiritual journey or formal education or somesuch nonsense to become a "proper audiophile".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 8, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Reminds me of this: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/NAQy1nK

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Audiophile. Grade. Fuses.

Just use the loving fuse your equipment is designed for you dumb shitheads. They used that fuse for a loving reason. This guy put the wrong fuse in his amplifier, the amplifier overloaded and released the magic smoke instead of blowing the fuse (probably because the fuse was rated way too high and bigger numbers are better amirite :haw:), and he still thinks he made the right decision. :cripes:

Seriously, my mind just boggles. If you have a ruined amplifier and an intact fuse, your fuse didn't even do its loving job.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 8, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Woolie Wool posted:

(probably because the fuse was rated way too high and bigger numbers are better amirite :haw:)

A lot of people overestimate the amplifier power they actually need, but audiophiles take this to a whole new level and wildly overestimate power consumtion. Perhaps they're used to class A amplifiers, I dunno.

Audiophile manufacturers will overspec power supplies to a ridiculous degree and some audiophiles will have dedicated circuits put in, just to power their precious stereos. The bigger Mark Levinson monoblock amps even advise you to have a separate circuit and breaker for each amplifier "for the best sound quality". And obviously some audiophiles are going to put way bigger fuses in their electronics than what is actually needed, in a misguided attempt to remove bottlenecks in the power supply.

And of course everything must be powered by linear power supplies, because switch mode supplies are EVIL and send bad vibrations or whatever into the electronics.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Even if you have a class A amplifier you should still only use the fuse specified by the manufacturer, or if you can't get it for whatever reason, a slightly smaller one. Otherwise you're putting your expensive class A amp at extreme risk.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well yeah, obviously. My point was that they expect all amps to have the same crazy power usage as class A amps.

Chafe posted:

designed by people who still live in the 1960s (Harbeth).

I had to comment on this, because for all their faults and stubbornness in sticking with a 1960s speaker design that is known to be flawed in significant ways, Harbeth is actually one of the more reasonable and well-grounded audiophile darling companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxiLeQmb5k

They're a bit mental for doggedly sticking up for the LS3/5A as the pinnacle of speaker design, but nobody's perfect. Their forums are also surprisingly sciencie-minded.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Chafe posted:

I think the Wilsons are pretty neutral, although I've only heard them once. It was also in a super expensive semi-anechoic listening room, so even 200 dollar bookshelves would probably have sounded pretty amazing in there too. Wilson is pretty far into the skinny part of the price/performance bell curve for sure.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Dave from EEVblog posted a really in depth tear down and reverse engineering video of one of those cheapo vacuum tube headphone amps from eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coSt5HWRvv4

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I had to comment on this, because for all their faults and stubbornness in sticking with a 1960s speaker design that is known to be flawed in significant ways, Harbeth is actually one of the more reasonable and well-grounded audiophile darling companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxiLeQmb5k

They're a bit mental for doggedly sticking up for the LS3/5A as the pinnacle of speaker design, but nobody's perfect. Their forums are also surprisingly sciencie-minded.

The issue with every Harbeth speaker I've listened to is that the cabinets resonant...and its really noticeable when they do and you're left wondering who the hell thinks resonating cabinets sound good.

Really, most of these "high end" speakers have strange issues that just make the speaker sound really weird and really should have been dealt with before being brought to the market. Yeah, you get too much treble, too much bass, too little bass, or too much bass distortion but you can argue that audio is subjective and people want this.

But then you have other issues like astronomically small sweet spots that are the size of a chair, really strange tonality issues as if the sound is being forced out of a toilet roll, or parts of the speaker literally ring and rattle when played loud. Like I dunno how you don't notice this stuff during development.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 9, 2016

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

BANME.sh posted:

Dave from EEVblog posted a really in depth tear down and reverse engineering video of one of those cheapo vacuum tube headphone amps from eBay

I love the bit at the end "While the audio people have a flame war i'll be on the beach"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And sure enough, the comments are full of idiotic audiophiles, blathering on about how much better the "tube sound" is and how CD sucks and hi-res SACD/DVD-A is so much better.

I loved Doug Ford's summary at the end of the video, that the amp would be better in literally every way if it didn't have the drat tubes in there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's a good one, courtesy of the Sound Science subforum at Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/768538/why-boosting-30-hz-by-30-db-sounds-so-good/15#post_11664224

quote:

I now know that recordings from the '70s & '80s definitely have sound below 50 Hz. It's just that most of them need a 40-to-50-dB boost around 30 Hz to bring it out, that's all!

"Oh sure, there's plenty of bass, you just have to increase the applied power by a factor of 100,000 and make it 32 times louder, then you can hear it just fine!"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yum, tape noise and microphone artifacts

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chafe posted:

But then you have other issues like astronomically small sweet spots that are the size of a chair, ...

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/audiophile-seating-the-balleri-103688

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I love the bit at the end "While the audio people have a flame war i'll be on the beach"

Ah, of course there has to be the classic rebuttal of "he didn't test a properly designed tube amp" because that couldn't possibly be a piece of grossly overpriced and underperforming POS, or the fact that it's supposed to be the vendor's responsibility to support their claims and not the other way round.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 10, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Or the vendor knows that designing a basic, generally competent amp and adding tubes and blinky lights will lead to sales regardless of how bad it sounds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just love when the audiophiles start throwing around the "but science doesn't know everything, how about the bumblebee's ability to fly, huh?" thing, as if they were actually going to disprove science, simply to justify their ridiculously expensive cables :allears:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
See that's how rumors get started. My takeaway from your post was that there are special cables in which bumblebees ferry electrons from one end to the other. This contributes to the sweet, organic sound of the audio. Of course a certain amount of buzzing is to be expected, but audiophile.

brb going to post this in the head-fi cables forum.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://youtu.be/Bx-IaLkpncU

There's no way the Orpheus is worth 50k, but if I hit the powerball I will buy a set just to have evaporated platinum transducers in my life :allears:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I would recommend the Magni 2 or Asgard. The Valhalla is not suitable for orthos. Lyr is kind of overkill.

Thanks! Will go for Asgard. I have a Magni laying around but it sounds noisy and the pot causes some fuzzy sounds when I twist it? Kind of Schitty if you ask me. :rimshot:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Panty Saluter posted:

https://youtu.be/Bx-IaLkpncU

There's no way the Orpheus is worth 50k, but if I hit the powerball I will buy a set just to have evaporated platinum transducers in my life :allears:

If money was no object I would buy them just because of al the bits moving makes great theatre and looks cool.

Not that I could tell the difference between these and a £1k set of gear even of there was a difference

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One has a working fuse.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

The tubes in a $50 "tube amp" are useless, what a surprise! People are actually willing to defend this piece of knockoff poo poo in the comments? :psyduck:

I mean I won't defend the technical accuracy of my Schiit Valhalla which has a stated THD almost two orders of magnitude higher than Schiit's solid state amps, but at least it's a tube amp where the tubes actually amplify the signal. Fun fact: for Schiit's other "tube amps" (which have solid state output and have much higher output than the Valhalla, which really does not like orthodynamics), they actually sell a set of transistors packaged into a cylinder with a tube pinout so you can plug them in and convert your tube input stage to a solid state one. For extra money they'll even send you a Lyr or Gungir with both tubes and solid state modules for you to compare them. They don't work in the Valhalla though.

Oddly enough their top of the line $1700 gonzo amp that's both a stereo integrated amp and a headphone amp and whitens your teeth is solid state with no tube option whatsoever. And my father demoed a multi-kilobuck Gato solid-state integrated amp that completely destroyed his current setup with tube amp and preamp (and the two of them combined cost more at retail than the Gato) so maybe all the tube haters are right. His audio dealer even called his Audio Research VT100 amp a piece of poo poo. I'm pretty sure the Gato will never blow a 6550 tube and damage the circuit board in a terrifying light show with magic smoke either.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Thanks! Will go for Asgard. I have a Magni laying around but it sounds noisy and the pot causes some fuzzy sounds when I twist it? Kind of Schitty if you ask me. :rimshot:

Have you contacted customer support? Also is your volume at the source set to 100%? Having the source at low volume and cranking the volume knob at the amp is Doing It Wrong and will send the noise floor sky-high. But sometimes schiit poo poo goes wrong in a piece of electronics. Their service is supposed to be really good.

Oh yeah and get the Asgard 2 instead of a used original Asgard, it has better performance and fixed a defect in the old Asgard where it would briefly put a small DC current through the output jack if you had the headphones plugged in while you powered it on. Supposedly it's not big enough to damage headphones except for extremely sensitive IEMs but do you really want to risk it?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If money was no object I would buy them just because of al the bits moving makes great theatre and looks cool.

Not that I could tell the difference between these and a £1k set of gear even of there was a difference

The old Orpheus was much cooler looking. It had a crazy amp enclosure with swooping curves and wood and chrome instead of a big ugly marble brick that shits out tubes and knobs. The headphones themselves looked like a cross between the HD 600s and Audeze LCD-3s and were absolutely gorgeous.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 11, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Only extremely stupid people think tube amps are anything more than a gimmick.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

grack posted:

Only extremely stupid people think tube amps are anything more than a gimmick.

Well some people actually buy 20-year-old V8 Ferraris. A lightly used Corvette will be much cheaper, faster, safer, probably handle better, has some actual cargo room, and the gas mileage is much better, but many people, given the choice between the keys to a C6 Corvette and a Ferrari F355, are going to take the Ferrari. Sometimes the sensible choice is just boring, and tubes are cool. I personally don't give much of a gently caress about my amp's measurements, I know they're worse than the solid-state models from the same manufacturer and I don't care. I didn't get it because I wanted to have objectively the best amp, it's a real live tube amp that actually amps with tubes for less than $400, and it's really cool seeing the heaters come on and in replacing the worn out input tubes with ECC88s that were made before most of the people on SA were even born. Do they sound better than the 6N1Ps sounded when they were new? Who the gently caress cares, how many things do you have that were made in 1965?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Maybe we can have a rule that if you post in this thread defending tube amps you have to post a picture of yourself listening to it.

But seriously, that's cool. What we're making fun of is people who believe they sound more pure or have better soundstage or that kind of nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently I'm a "cable fundamentalist" just like the crazy woo-woo audiophiles, because I doggedly trust in science, measurements and common sense.

Because somehow fairytales and proven science have the exact same factual worth :rolleyes:

E:

Cable believer posted:

That's your interpretation, an interpretation from someone who likes to listen to MP3 music. The others' interpretation comes from a lifetime of listening to music that is something special and requires particularly delicate equipment to sound right. I know who I trust the most, and it is not a cable fundamentalist like you.

"Particularly delicate equipment" :rolleye:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 11, 2016