Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had the wiring in the drivers side door (or other) fail/start to fail in a MkV Golf?

Symptoms are the power window controls no longer work (but individual door controls are fine) and the speaker works for about 5 seconds an hour.

Not really sure what parts to order, the bits I can find on ECStuning don't seem to include any wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BurgerQuest posted:

Has anyone had the wiring in the drivers side door (or other) fail/start to fail in a MkV Golf?

Symptoms are the power window controls no longer work (but individual door controls are fine) and the speaker works for about 5 seconds an hour.

Not really sure what parts to order, the bits I can find on ECStuning don't seem to include any wiring.

IIRC the early MKV GTIs had an issue where the door wiring harness was too short for the full throw of the door. This led to it getting damaged over time. If you pull back the boot covering the harness between the door and car you should be able to spot the damage.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah so it's likely in that location then, not inside the door itself? Would it be possible to repair myself do you think?

Is this what I'm looking for?

credit-some vw forum

I can see how the wires would come loose from that connector if it was too short.

This is the part I'm looking at:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Interior/Door/Wiring_Harness/ES311312/

Wouldn't this have the same issue if I don't replace any wiring?

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 4, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

8ender posted:

IIRC the early MKV GTIs had an issue where the door wiring harness was too short for the full throw of the door. This led to it getting damaged over time. If you pull back the boot covering the harness between the door and car you should be able to spot the damage.

That is so VW that it hurts.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took a look, mine looks fine to me unless the damage is under the black tape/further down.

I gave it all a good jiggle, drivers side speaker seems to be working now but we'll see if that lasts a drive or two. Power window controller still non-functional.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never mind, I am an idiot. I saw here how simple it was to remove the trim around the power window buttons and thought I should simply check the cabling to the controls was connected ok. It wasn't connected at all. Problem solved.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't think anyone blames you one bit for thinking worst case when you get an electronics problem in a VW.

Speaking of- one of the TPMS sensors on my mother's mkV Jetta is bad. Is it possible to determine which one is hosed via a normal code reader or do we need VAGCOM?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Bought a 2009 CC 2.0TSI back in July, really liked how the car looked and drove down the road but anything's better than the '93 Passat I'd been driving before that.

Accelerating, going around corners and braking, the thing felt like a boat. Suspension was really floaty up front, nose would pitch up and down going through the gears. I'm pretty sure the shocks up front were the originals with 106,000 miles on them, and the 4! NEW! -chinese- TIRES! the dealer sold the car with didn't help things out. It was 420 spin tires every day on anything approaching moisture on the road.

Then I started having major problems with the intake. The EPC light would pop on and limit my revs to 3000, 2250, 1750, then 1250 depending on how it loving felt that minute. It would happen randomly on the way home from work time to time, and if it weren't a 6-speed I doubt I would have gotten it home a few times. Felt terrible doing 35mph in a 50 zone in 6th gear with my foot on the floor, luckily it was all back roads. Diagnosed at VW as a problem with the throttle body, pony up $400 for parts and another $crazy for labor. The problem then went away on its own after about 20 shut down, restart cycles, and then it wouldn't crop up again for a few weeks or 500 miles.

Finally in September in the parking lot at work, it refused to start or idle at anything past full throttle. I saw there was a TSB out about the throttle body harness connector contacts losing contact and not giving the right readings back to the ECU, so I re-pinned the plug with gold-plated connectors to the tune of $60. 3 wires for $20 each, cut and doubled for the 6 wires to the plug, soldered into the main harness wiring, shrink wrapped and taped up myself. This instantly got the car running smooth again and bought me another 3000-4000 miles before the EPC light again popped up.

Then in October, a full 3 months after buying the car, I received a letter from the state saying the title I'd submitted to them was invalid and that I'd need to submit the current title on record. WTF? I thought the dealer had taken care of that months ago, and the title was supposed to be sitting at my bank since they were the lien holder. Called my bank, they haven't received the title. WTF? They didn't really seem to care, either. Called the dealer, and the person who does vehicle title was not to be found. So basically, I don't own the car, my bank doesn't own the car, the dealer doesn't know what the gently caress and the actual legal owner is still whoever registered the car one state over, 20,000 miles and 2 1/2 years earlier.

After calling the dealer almost every day the entire month of November, calling the police, calling the Iowa DMV, calling a Sheriff's office near Iowa City, I discover the vehicle had been been a repossession back in 2014. After the repossession, it was sold at auction once, sold at auction again, sold to the dealer, then sold 6 months later to me. It changed hands 3 times over the course of 18 months, and the title that followed the car was the original from before it had been repossessed. I take it that a new title with a sheriff's lien on it was created after the repo, and that was now the current legal title on record.

Great, I'm going to have to go through hell to get this thing registered and it probably still has a lien on it despite nothing popping up on the Carfax. It runs like poo poo and I still owe $6,000 on it. I can't sell it to anyone, and if I get t-boned the insurance company won't pay out jack poo poo if I can't give them the title. I can go through a bonding process, but I'll need to plunk down 1.5x the car's value to sit over the course of 3 years in case someone comes to claim it as their car. Or I can get a lawyer.

Called the dealership again and promised I'd take them to court if they didn't obtain and deliver the correct title. Told them the bank was on my rear end for the title, but that was a lie because really they couldn't care less. (wtf?) The dealer was having no luck getting the title from the people at the auction house, most likely since the sale had been 10+ months prior at this point and it had been through not one but two of them. I filled out, printed & faxed them a complaint form for the Secretary of State Police, and let the dealer know that failure to provide a title at the 6-month mark would turn from a misdemeanor to a felony.

A day later I got a call from the owner of the dealership;
"OK So what you want to do?"
I'd like the proper title for my car, or all of my money back.
"You're ridiculous, we can't possibly do that, you have been driving it this whole time"
That's not my problem, you need to give me the title.
"We have another CC here you can look at"
No, either give me the title you owe me or void the sale completely.
"OK we can't get the title actually, so what you want to do?"
Give me all of my money back.

That all took place a few weeks ago, and I turned the car in just before Christmas. Fortunately the throttle body wasn't acting up at that time, no EPC or CEL lit on the dash. They gave me a check for the money I'd put down, down the the penny, and they sent my bank a check for the original loan amount. The difference, the bank put into my savings. It was funny though, a few days after I took the CC off my insurance, the bank called me up telling me to put insurance coverage back on it immediately. I explained the situation to them, they agreed it was strange that as lien holders they hadn't even had legal claim to the car for the past 5 months.

TL;DR:
Due to a shady buy-here, pay-here dealership not having their poo poo together, I got what amounts to a 5-month rental for the $200 I'd paid in loan interest and maintenance. Dodged a bullet with the 2.0TSI's throttle body problems, and dodged the legal hassle of buying a car with a lien on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NoWake posted:

A dealership tale

:stare:
I'm glad you got your money back but taking into account how much bullshit you went through I don't think it was exactly enough to make up for it.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 4, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I totally agree with you, but all said and done I got exactly what I wanted:
a) rid of the car
b) all of my money back
c) no court battle

Ended up parlaying the cash I'd got back into a down payment on a Certified Pre-Owned '13 Golf R, this time from a reputable dealer and with a 24 month/24,000 mi warranty. Probably the best possible outcome out of all of this!

Lesson learned; if you don't trust the seller, it's worth the $30 to run an independent check on the title.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bwahahahahaha. The DoJ is suing VW on behalf of the EPA

Here is the money shot:

quote:

The DoJ and the EPA are asking the court to halt the sale of any vehicle that has been identified to include a defeat device and order the company to remedy the situation by fixing the affected cars. In addition, the US says that Volkswagen Group must pay civil penalties of $32,500 per affected car made before 2009 and $37,500 per affected car made after 2009 for each of two violations of the Clean Air Act, as well as between $2,750 and $3,750 for each defeat device found on the affected cars. Finally, US officials are demanding "up to $32,500 per day of violation occurring before January 13, 2009, and up to $37,500 per day of violation occurring on or after January 13, 2009 for violations of Section 203(a)(2) of the [Clean Air] Act.”

edit: I'm reading that that totals something like ~$20B in fines. Now, of course it won't actually be that much but it's still a big as gently caress number to start negotiating from.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 4, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

All I want to know is when I'll be out of limbo. I know it's a huge problem to solve but I just want to feel like they're doing something.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Any of youse guys shopped at https://www.mk1autohaus.com ? There's a 1982 Caddy on my local craigslist and if I take the plunge, it'd be nice to know that mk1autohaus is half-way decent to work with.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Any of youse guys shopped at https://www.mk1autohaus.com ? There's a 1982 Caddy on my local craigslist and if I take the plunge, it'd be nice to know that mk1autohaus is half-way decent to work with.

Jesus Christ. That's like a 3.5-4k truck where I'm at.

Also, GAP has a lot of mk1 stuff also.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Jesus Christ. That's like a 3.5-4k truck where I'm at.

Also, GAP has a lot of mk1 stuff also.
I wants it so bad :argh:. Never heard of GAP, have a link for me?
edit: never mind, a little thinking on my part and I've determined that you mean https://www.germanautoparts.com :haw:

scuz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 5, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bwahahahahaha. The DoJ is suing VW on behalf of the EPA

Here is the money shot:

edit: I'm reading that that totals something like ~$20B in fines. Now, of course it won't actually be that much but it's still a big as gently caress number to start negotiating from.

Remember that it's basically the beginning of a negotiation and you always ask for more than what you're going to get.

Obviously, the DoJ has a bit of clout to throw around, but there's also a huge interest in keeping the world's #2-3 automaker "happy". Causing VW to pull of the US market, for example, would NOT be in the US's best interest.

Point is, VW won't be paying the entirety of the civil penalties (per car; the per-day is piddly). I'm pretty sure, from what I've heard (just slightly more than what's in the news :tinfoil: ), VW's solution for US diesel cars will be quite expensive already, so I doubt the DoJ would end up for the entire 20 billion anyway.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

totalnewbie posted:

Remember that it's basically the beginning of a negotiation and you always ask for more than what you're going to get.

Obviously, the DoJ has a bit of clout to throw around, but there's also a huge interest in keeping the world's #2-3 automaker "happy". Causing VW to pull of the US market, for example, would NOT be in the US's best interest.

Point is, VW won't be paying the entirety of the civil penalties (per car; the per-day is piddly). I'm pretty sure, from what I've heard (just slightly more than what's in the news :tinfoil: ), VW's solution for US diesel cars will be quite expensive already, so I doubt the DoJ would end up for the entire 20 billion anyway.

VW is a tiny, insignificant player in the US, where they sell less than half the number of cars as Subaru. VAG these days is primarily a Chinese concern- most VWs in the world are produced and sold in China and a plurality of their profits are from the Chinese market. Shaking VW down for $20b is essentially shaking the Chinese government down for $20b. Who in the US exactly has a huge interest in keeping them happy? I guess the association of North American VW dealer franchise owners? The satraps of Tennesee where they have their US factory?

How would the fine cause VW to pull out of the US? They don't get to *not* pay the fine if they stop selling cars here. Are they going to pack their plant machinery and employees on some German aircraft carrier and flee the country? Most US VWs are made in Mexico anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the only concern wrt the money is we're not going to bankrupt a partially state owned German enterprise that is also like their 10th largest employer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Their market cap is $60bil, $20bil isn't going to bankrupt them.

It may cause them to contract a whole hell of a whole lot and divest things like Porsche, but it isn't going to bankrupt them.

The fines are going to have to be in the several billion, likely >10 billion, to set an example. It's important that the profit of any of those vehicles is completely wiped out, otherwise it becomes cheaper to pay the fine and flaunt the law rather than comply.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 5, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Throatwarbler posted:

VW is a tiny, insignificant player in the US, where they sell less than half the number of cars as Subaru. VAG these days is primarily a Chinese concern- most VWs in the world are produced and sold in China and a plurality of their profits are from the Chinese market. Shaking VW down for $20b is essentially shaking the Chinese government down for $20b. Who in the US exactly has a huge interest in keeping them happy? I guess the association of North American VW dealer franchise owners? The satraps of Tennesee where they have their US factory?

How would the fine cause VW to pull out of the US? They don't get to *not* pay the fine if they stop selling cars here. Are they going to pack their plant machinery and employees on some German aircraft carrier and flee the country? Most US VWs are made in Mexico anyway.

They have 3-4% of the market, which is not large, but not insignificant (e.g. now-NA-dead Suzuki, Mitsubishi). But my point wasn't that VW has this huge leverage on the DoJ, but rather that there are interests (like you mentioned, Tennessee) that are going to keep the DoJ from going for the jugular.

The fine wouldn't cause VW to pull out of the US market but VW isn't so small that it has no leverage at all in negotiations. All I'm saying is that don't expect the final outcome to be the full $20b.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 5, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

They have 3-4% of the market, which is not large, but not insignificant (e.g. now-NA-dead Suzuki, Mitsubishi). But my point wasn't that VW has this huge leverage on the DoJ, but rather that there are interests (like you mentioned, Tennessee) that are going to keep the DoJ from going for the jugular.

The fine wouldn't cause VW to pull out of the US market but VW isn't so small that it has no leverage at all in negotiations. All I'm saying is that don't expect the final outcome to be the full $20b.

Sure, there are a lot of politicians in Tennessee that would try to cover VW's rear end, but there are also interests who are going to be pretty gun ho for stringing them up by the balls. California, for example, has plenty of politicians with big environmental constituencies that would like to gently caress them over pollution alone. Then you have the places with major cities that can argue a significant impact on their smog from the emissions, and I could see a lot of their representatives pressing the EPA to funnel some of the fine money into harm mitigation in those areas, which basically means money pumped into the local economy.

Then you have the fact that there are a poo poo load of people from areas that aren't Tennessee who are involved in making cars that aren't VW. Somehow I suspect that if it comes down to senators trying to leverage the DOJ that the ones from Michigan might have a slightly more compelling argument than the ones from Tennessee. A loss for VW that fucks them in the American market is a win for Ford et al and by extension the plants that produce their cars for the US market.

I'm not saying that it won't be negotiated down, but it's way more complex than everyone in DC having a vested interest in keeping VW in the US and not hurting their domestic production too much.

edit: I just looked it up. VW employs 1400 in its Tenn. plant. THat's not exactly the backbone of American manufacturing. Also I seem to remember them having a fight with UAW at the end of the year - unions are still politically powerful and if UAW isn't VW's friend but has at least a stable relationship with the domestic manufacturers that's not going to add to VW's political clout.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 5, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

According to Reuters, the initial ask isn't $20bil, it's $90bil.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0UI1QP20160105

Toyota was sued for $58 billion previously and settled for $34 mil in the late 90s, but I'm not sure VW will get off that easily.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bull3964 posted:

Their market cap is $60bil, $20bil isn't going to bankrupt them.

It may cause them to contract a whole hell of a whole lot and divest things like Porsche, but it isn't going to bankrupt them.

The fines are going to have to be in the several billion, likely >10 billion, to set an example. It's important that the profit of any of those vehicles is completely wiped out, otherwise it becomes cheaper to pay the fine and flaunt the law rather than comply.
Market cap is way, way bigger than cash on hand. Market cap is what you would get if you sold all the shares (note: VW doesn't even own all the shares) simultaneously and somehow miraculously didn't drive down the share price while doing so. VW's cash on hand, which is needed to do things like pay suppliers, was $30B in September, and back then VW said that they could just cover the then-expected $7.3 billion charge of fixing things. Even that amount was iffy: "Moody’s said in a note to investors it believes VW has the “financial wherewithal to cover the amount of the announced” estimated costs of $7.3 billion “although fully funding that provision would severely limit flexibility.”

e: Spending 2/3 150% of the cash-on-hand is going to make ongoing business difficult.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Eh, as with most every giant fine like this, it'll be tied up in the courts for years before they ever have to spend a penny. I mean Ford and Toyota killed people and got off easier.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Eh, as with most every giant fine like this, it'll be tied up in the courts for years before they ever have to spend a penny. I mean Ford and Toyota killed people and got off easier.

Sure, but Fort and Toyota didn't purposefully design their cars to kill people in defiance of the "Cars Shouldn't Intentionally Kill People Act of 1972"

Being incompetent and killing people is bad, but willfully violating laws and regulations in a systematic way over years is the sort of thing that government lawyers have wet dreams about.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if the total fine amount is billions large it'll be structured in a way that VW can easily weather it because again

quote:

we're not going to bankrupt a partially state owned German enterprise that is also like their 10th largest employer

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

VW Has at least one plant in the US in Chattanooga and is a major jobs provider, not just because of the plant, but because of all the suppliers that popped up to support said plant.

It will, actually, hurt.

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: I just looked it up. VW employs 1400 in its Tenn. plant. THat's not exactly the backbone of American manufacturing. Also I seem to remember them having a fight with UAW at the end of the year - unions are still politically powerful and if UAW isn't VW's friend but has at least a stable relationship with the domestic manufacturers that's not going to add to VW's political clout.

There are multiple suppliers and manufacturers that popped up to support the VW plant, and the UAW fight is over as VW let them vote on it. Also: 1400 is a lot of people in Chattanooga, TN.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but Fort and Toyota didn't purposefully design their cars to kill people in defiance of the "Cars Shouldn't Intentionally Kill People Act of 1972"

Being incompetent and killing people is bad, but willfully violating laws and regulations in a systematic way over years is the sort of thing that government lawyers have wet dreams about.

No, actually Ford and Toyota got called on flaws that actually did result in deaths. VW will, hopefully, get put through the ringer, but we've let off bigger companies for far worse at far less for them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 5, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Even if you assume 3-4 supplier jobs per job at the VW factory it's still 5-7k people tops, in a city of 170+k people. Not a drop in the bucket but not a huge impact.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No, actually Ford and Toyota got called on flaws that actually did result in deaths. VW will, hopefully, get put through the ringer, but we've let off bigger companies for far worse at far less for them.

My point is that the things Fort and Toyota got called on were not intentional. They were big gently caress ups and they sure did got after them, but what VW did was 100% intentional and with the expressed purpose of bypassing American laws and regulations. From a regulatory standpoint what VW did is a bit more serious than loving up your design in a way that kills people. Maybe not from an ownership standpoint and the consequences are certainly not as bad for the people that bought them, but for lawyers looking to jack a company up there is a lot more to work with if it is an intentional act designed to circumvent inconvenient laws.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We always let bigger companies off easier, too big to fail, it's the American way.

In other news, sources are saying that US agencies aren't agreeing with VW's fix.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0UJ1N020160105

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The engine in my MKV GTI sometimes takes a bit of cranking before it starts. It's been like this for a while, worse in the winter, but sometimes happened during the summer, too. I recently replaced the battery and the battery place said the alternator was fine. I've been hearing coil packs are a likely culprit. Are these the recommended ones to get? I'm about to place an ECS Tuning order, anyway.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/ES2065380/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Even if you assume 3-4 supplier jobs per job at the VW factory it's still 5-7k people tops, in a city of 170+k people. Not a drop in the bucket but not a huge impact.

When carpet factories in Georgia south of the Tennessee border started closing during the 09 crash, it was devastating, and they only lost maybe 500 jobs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ok, lets compare apples to oranges?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I just got a 2016 Golf Sportwagen S for $20000 before fees and poo poo, ended up being like 21000 because of license fees and we added a service package thing. Feels good. Hopefully this thing isn't a piece of poo poo. I LOOOOVE it so far (5 days in, 3 of those we've been iced over so I've only drove it like 3 times). I feel like this was a good price. That's a fuckload under MSRP. I don't see people paying this low a price.

It's funny though, I've never bought a new car before. While I can afford it, these payments nauseate me. :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Ok, lets compare apples to oranges?

Factory job is a factory job, and Blue Collar jobs are disappearing fast than you can imagine. The average person in Chattanooga is not a Blue Collar worker, so when a factory job goes away, its generally more devastating to the lower class that is not working in downtown Chatt-town.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Don't worry, House Republicans are stepping up to make sure VW is (slightly) protected.
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/4/1466041/-House-Republicans-ready-Volkswagen-bailout-vote

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

ddogflex posted:

I just got a 2016 Golf Sportwagen S for $20000 before fees and poo poo, ended up being like 21000 because of license fees and we added a service package thing. Feels good. Hopefully this thing isn't a piece of poo poo. I LOOOOVE it so far (5 days in, 3 of those we've been iced over so I've only drove it like 3 times). I feel like this was a good price. That's a fuckload under MSRP. I don't see people paying this low a price.

It's funny though, I've never bought a new car before. While I can afford it, these payments nauseate me. :D

I checked the price on a local R for sale, and after the 1st or 3rd or whatever it was they dropped every discount off the website. 1750 discount, ~1500 VW owner new acquisition and ~1500 VW loyalty. Oh well!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just got a call back from the VW dealer about the check engine light on my '16 jetta. - they said the ECU is cooked - they couldn't reflash or reset anything and they have to replace it.

Sucks because they don't have a loaner available and I live outside of their shuttle zone, so I'll have to pay for a taxi there just to drop off the second key, which they need to reprogram the ecu, then again when I pick the car up.

I'm leasing a new car specifically to not deal with this poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Voltage posted:

Just got a call back from the VW dealer about the check engine light on my '16 jetta. - they said the ECU is cooked - they couldn't reflash or reset anything and they have to replace it.

Sucks because they don't have a loaner available and I live outside of their shuttle zone, so I'll have to pay for a taxi there just to drop off the second key, which they need to reprogram the ecu, then again when I pick the car up.

I'm leasing a new car specifically to not deal with this poo poo.

Call bullshit on their "no loaner available" and have them take something off the lot. That is garbage, especially for a month-old car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

Call bullshit on their "no loaner available" and have them take something off the lot. That is garbage, especially for a month-old car.

This. They can easily call in a friggin Hertz or something for you. When I had my GLI in for the blown water pump, they gave me a rental mini van.