Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm no lawyer, but I'd probably edit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

rndmnmbr posted:

Anyways, I probably got mesothelioma anyways from ripping all the asbestos siding off of said garage and tossing it in a pit I dug in the backyard, because proper abatement is expensive. :v:

I really hope not. It's a painful, lovely death spiral. I got to watch my grandfather go through it for 10+ years.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PainterofCrap posted:

All of this whirring and mooing and l'il pumps to get things working...it's why, when I finally have to buy a DD, it's not going to be newer than 1984, and probably no older than 1974. :corsair:

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got an '03 Malibu and I'm actually glad it doesn't have a lot of the fancier add-ons of newer cars in the last 5-10 years. I'll hear people in brand new cars complain about TPM sensors or touch screen glitches or any number of onboard computer problems, and here I am humming along with my only disappointment being my car's lack of an AUX port to plug in my iPod.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

rndmnmbr posted:

That's good to know, considering how much of the stuff I've reused doing mindbogglingly stupid things, like rigging up a 100' 240v extension cord to run a welder in a detached garage. But hey, I only had a Lincoln buzzbox, and the closest 240v outlet was in the utility room in the house, and it worked.

Anyways, I probably got mesothelioma anyways from ripping all the asbestos siding off of said garage and tossing it in a pit I dug in the backyard, because proper abatement is expensive. :v:

Great, now when that poo poo gets dug up to build a new house or parking lot, the people that are working there won't have any idea what they are handling and they'll all get it too! :bravo:

Also, quoting in case you feel like unsharing your stupidity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I'll do a lot of not-by-the-book poo poo to get a job done (as long as the end result is good) but disposing of asbestos improperly is not one of those things.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got an '03 Malibu and I'm actually glad it doesn't have a lot of the fancier add-ons of newer cars in the last 5-10 years. I'll hear people in brand new cars complain about TPM sensors or touch screen glitches or any number of onboard computer problems, and here I am humming along with my only disappointment being my car's lack of an AUX port to plug in my iPod.

Had the same issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UTDF0LM

I had one of these in my daily-driver '98 LS400. The car has a power port in the bottom of the center console, so I left it plugged in all the time. The unit's *bright blue* LED was not annoying since it was out of sight.

I just gave it to my Dad as the stock CD changer in his '03 MKx died and Ford wants ~$1,300 to replace it. Lol gently caress no.

Currently trying out one of these. It works well, but is a bit fiddly - the battery is good for about 5 hours of usage, and the little transmission head seems to need cleaning every time I remove it.

P certain I'm going to order another FM adapter

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How many people have lots of fun asbestos in their lungs from working on old cars with drum brakes. I'm pretty sure I sucked up a few lung fulls in the years I worked on bug brakes.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

In the followup video he puts a 75mm AT round through it. :black101:
That one was worth the watch just to see the engine block afterwards.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

veedubfreak posted:

How many people have lots of fun asbestos in their lungs from working on old cars with drum brakes. I'm pretty sure I sucked up a few lung fulls in the years I worked on bug brakes.

Imagine all the shops cleaning drum brakes with compressed air! It's an asbestos nightmare.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

0toShifty posted:

Imagine all the shops cleaning drum brakes with compressed air! It's an asbestos nightmare.

what

Isn't that the definition of the thing you never do with drum brakes? Always keep it wet...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

veedubfreak posted:

Yep, old brakes, lots of exposure in HVAC too. Also old houses (bathrooms which I often renovated, eaves I usually cut vents into, sheds and fences that were often broken/damaged) When you're drilling and the bit squeals, congrats, you have/had asbestos and now mesothelioma.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

what

Isn't that the definition of the thing you never do with drum brakes? Always keep it wet...

i guess it's easy to see who's worked flat rate and who hasn't

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

i guess it's easy to see who's worked flat rate and who hasn't

Yeah jesus christ gently caress no. Occupational exposure to that kind of thing (and carcinogens) is what really gets you; I'd be super careful if I was dealing with that poo poo more than once every several years. And I already am moderately careful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the current standard when asbestos is discovered? Is it a "stop working right now and inform the property owner they have a major health hazard" thing or a "quit whining you pussy and just finish the contract?"

I've never worked in construction but that seems to me the sort of thing where it's a giant deal breaker on any kind of renovation or demolition.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It's one of the reasons derelict cities like Detroit can't just to bulldoze dilapidated buildings and turn it into a park. Safe demolition is more expensive than letting them sit and rot.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 5, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speaking of asbestos, how long were they still used in brake shoes?

I'm doing drums on my '92 Civic and they might be original. I would assume by '92 it was dealt with but who knows what weird holdovers existed.

Breathing in brake dust isn't good for you regardless so I'm just gonna hose it down with brake cleaner and cross my fingers.

e: gently caress

quote:

Most mechanics contacted by CBC News believed that asbestos was already banned from brake pads years ago. But figures from Statistics Canada show that more than $2.6 million worth of asbestos brake pads entered the country in 2011.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 5, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Depends. It's actually still legal to use asbestos in some products, as far as I know*. No sane company does since it's terrible publicity.

The best part of the whole asbestos debacle is that even though it was banned in the mid-late 70s, distributors were permitted to sell off existing stocks of products containing asbestos. Those NOS brake shoes for a '60s car? Probably ACM. Clutch for a milsurp truck from the 50s? Yep, you got it, probably ACM. And it was put into basically every building product ever, right up until it was banned, and again, all that popcorn ceiling treatment? all that spackle? all the asbestos-tar shingle roofing? If it was produced preban, it was still legal to sell it and install it after the ban. So even if your house was built a couple years after the ban, who knows, it could have asbestos in it!

gently caress the asbestos industry and their willful century long concealment of the health risks of their product.

* by my memory, brake shoes/pads, high temp electrical wire insulation, clutches, linoleum, and vinyl flooring are still allowed to contain asbestos. Among other things.

e: oh, and this only applies to the US - some countries banned it years or decades later, like Australia waited until loving 2003 to completely ban it and it was still in widespread use until the 80s.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 5, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's also used on boilers on ships. And still is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I know a LOT of navy ships still have asbestos insulation on the boilers, but I thought it was being replaced with non asbestos insulation every time the asbestos was removed? Are they actually putting new asbestos insulation onto ships still? :eyepop:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's asbestos all over the mechanical rooms at my job, insulating old steam pipes, boilers and whatnot. Most of it's not in the best condition. Several years ago I helped scrape a shitload of popcorn ceiling poo poo off. I didn't find out about the popcorn ceiling = asbestos thing until months later.

Add that to all the brake jobs on old trucks I used to do and I'm probably pretty much hosed. :smith:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

buttcrackmenace posted:

Had the same issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UTDF0LM

I had one of these in my daily-driver '98 LS400. The car has a power port in the bottom of the center console, so I left it plugged in all the time. The unit's *bright blue* LED was not annoying since it was out of sight.

Not only were they too lazy to actually put their product in a car and take a picture of it, they didn't even bother finding a stock image of a cars dashboard that doesn't clearly have an AUX input right underneath the stupid product they sell:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Goddamn, that is the ugliest dash I've ever seen.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I'm no lawyer, but I'd probably edit that.

EightBit posted:

Great, now when that poo poo gets dug up to build a new house or parking lot, the people that are working there won't have any idea what they are handling and they'll all get it too! :bravo:

Also, quoting in case you feel like unsharing your stupidity.

kastein posted:

Yeah I'll do a lot of not-by-the-book poo poo to get a job done (as long as the end result is good) but disposing of asbestos improperly is not one of those things.

We can all calm down, I'm not the same stupid shithead now that I was when I was 20. When we sold the house and moved my grandparents into a nursing home, we informed the buyer about the pit full of asbestos, he got a quote for proper abatement, and we knocked the cost off of our asking price. I have no idea if he actually did the abatement, but I believe we did due diligence in cleaning up my stupid mess.

Also, in my defense, I was the one throwing the poo poo in the pit, but my grandfather was the one who told me to do it. Again, 20, stupid, etc.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Godholio posted:

It's nothing compared to what it's inside of:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Always got a kick out of the bandsaw at work.

Oh look, it even has a wheel for feeds and speeds for common materials!

:wtc:

E: seriously though, this thing ROCKS. When it's dialed in, it's one of my favorite tools in the shop. The welder is a nice touch- been hooking friends up with custom band saw blades for their home saws for a while now.

E2: holy poo poo tables, sorry guys.

glyph fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 6, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

It’s got nothing on the Multipla’s (just as ugly on the outside if you’re not familiar with it):

kastein posted:

Depends. It's actually still legal to use asbestos in some products, as far as I know*. No sane company does since it's terrible publicity.

IIRC a court struck down most of the ban in the early ’90s so the only thing stopping asbestos 2: electric boogaloo is :effort:.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 6, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

PaintVagrant posted:

It's one of the reasons derelict cities like Detroit can't just to bulldoze dilapidated buildings and turn it into a park. Safe demolition is more expensive than letting them sit and rot.

I'm in Detroit right now, and can vouch for the dilapidated buildings.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Platystemon posted:

It’s got nothing on the Multipla’s (just as ugly on the outside if you’re not familiar with it):

Ever wonder what happens to old boomboxes?

Now you know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Mother of god it's like nails on blackboard but f for my eyes.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

You can't talk about the Multipla without posting a picture!

Typical goon car. Even has fat rolls.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The driver of an ugly car usually has the best seat in the house. Only the people outside looking at it are sad. But in the case of the Multipla, the driver is perhaps the greatest victim. It's like the best minds of art and science came together to dive into previously uncharted depths of ugly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

I know a LOT of navy ships still have asbestos insulation on the boilers, but I thought it was being replaced with non asbestos insulation every time the asbestos was removed? Are they actually putting new asbestos insulation onto ships still? :eyepop:

Yep. My last ship was boiler, and they pulled damage lagging off and put brand new still asbestos containing lagging right back on.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Ola posted:

The driver of an ugly car usually has the best seat in the house. Only the people outside looking at it are sad. But in the case of the Multipla, the driver is perhaps the greatest victim. It's like the best minds of art and science came together to dive into previously uncharted depths of ugly.

Some people say my car isn't good to look at. My response is that I don't see the outside from my comfy seat in my awesome interior, nor do I notice the cars exterior over the sound of it's V8 or the cry of my wallet. The Fiat Multipla won many, many awards for being excellent as a car. However, an art piece it is not (maybe a modern art piece).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

MultipaDashboard.jpg

What is the speedo doing all the way over there? :psyduck:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Great Wall got pinged last year for selling their cheap lovely cars in Australia with asbestos exhaust gaskets.... Didn't have to remediate, just stop using it. So god knows how many of those things are going to kill mechanics in the future when the cheap pot metal manifolds inevitably crack.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I'm in Detroit right now, and can vouch for the dilapidated buildings.

Go to the Imperial bar on Woodward and eat all the fuckin tacos and hotdogs. Also swing by my place and let me drive your Soarer.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Probably makes it easier to make two versions in either right or left hand drive.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Go to the Imperial bar on Woodward and eat all the fuckin tacos and hotdogs. Also swing by my place and let me drive your Soarer.

drat, that place looks awesome, but it's 12 miles away, and my car is 4500 miles away :(

If you want to head into Downtown for a beer though, then that's cool. I'm staying right next to the Cobo Center (which is convenient, as I'm working there on next weeks NAIAS :)).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice! Enjoy scenic Detroit ;)

Despite living in the metro area for 6 years, I am pretty new to Detroit proper and have no idea where the gently caress anything is downtown really. Sounds like you are near Joe Louis arena. There are some great old bars and stuff though. If you like German food you should try Jacoby's, awesome old bar/restaurant that is close to where you are staying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arrath posted:

What is the speedo doing all the way over there? :psyduck:

Everything is in the wrong place, except arguably the shifter (I hate dash shifters though). The little drawer and the radio are too far away and angled away from the driver, the gauges require you to look awkwardly to the side, half the HVAC controls are hidden behind the steering wheel, what the gently caress is above the radio is that a coin holder (?), and the cup holder is as far as they could put it without interfering with the passenger airbag. And that center...vent? What the gently caress.