Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TommyGun85 posted:

ASOIAF fans are the whiniest babies ever. Fans of The Dark Tower waited 20 years for the conclusion of that series and it was the worst possible ending imagineable.

It's actually the greatest ending ever because it pissed off so many people. It's like King wanted to troll the audience.

Like, seriously, the GRRM equivalent would probably be "the Wall fell and everyone was eaten by ice spiders".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah the GRRM equivalent would be leaving 95% of the threads unfinished in lieu of watching some random maester Sam meets in Oldtown sitting down with a book and bitching about how it doesn't end well, only to be reproached by the wise head measter who tells him "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" :smuggo:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

It's actually the greatest ending ever because it pissed off so many people. It's like King wanted to troll the audience.

king was not trolling he is notoriously bad at ending anything because he never plans out anything so all of his stories just putter to the end.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Groovelord Neato posted:

king was not trolling he is notoriously bad at ending anything because he never plans out anything so all of his stories just putter to the end.

Yeah, I know. Hence the use of "like".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Like, seriously, the GRRM equivalent would probably be "the Wall fell and everyone was eaten by ice spiders".

the great wall

and the spiders were those ones from tron

and drogon is voiced by sean connery

also, grrm has a self insert where he drinks some strong wine with jon and then gets the shitdick from melisandre

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think the fans should go get a life. :p

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

There used to be a compendium of rear end kissers at iswintercoming, but it was sent into the ether when Linda Antonsson had that site nuked. I think. It's got to be around somewhere.

she had the site taken down? do tell!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

with word press you can make it look like an actual website.

it ruled going to that gawker article and reading the comments cuz so many people were cheerleading the (lovely) gaiman defense whenever someone said it was crappy to buy into a series and have the author not finish in an even close to timely manner.

CAST The Gaiman Defense..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMVnUMgQod4

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

she had the site taken down? do tell!

Five or so years ago, when the forum was hosted by aimoo or proboards or something, she reported the site for alleged copyright violations. To save themselves a headache, the host deleted the site.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blessed

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Five or so years ago, when the forum was hosted by aimoo or proboards or something, she reported the site for alleged copyright violations. To save themselves a headache, the host deleted the site.

loving wow. wish I had known about that. yet another reason for the hatred to swell inside!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mind the walrus posted:

Nah the GRRM equivalent would be leaving 95% of the threads unfinished in lieu of watching some random maester Sam meets in Oldtown sitting down with a book and bitching about how it doesn't end well, only to be reproached by the wise head measter who tells him "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" :smuggo:

So like the ending of that one goosebumps book about the blob.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone buy me that dick dragon giraffe (?) as an avatar please.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone buy me that dick dragon giraffe (?) as an avatar please.

what is written on the page... something about chickens?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I can't translate pollo'n because my keyboard won't make those weird vowels and google translate won't be real for a second and help me out. Slang for boner?

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Slang for big dick.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

This would be an entirely appropriate and satisfying ending, and would also be better than the one we don't get when he never actually finishes the books.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'd love for someone to set up a script that scrapes the posts from GRRM's livejournal and converts it to a page-counter that just ticks up with every new posts.

Just a simple page with "since GRRM started writing Winds of Winter he has written 1,756 pages of blog posts"

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Name of the Wind has some genuinely good scenes, though. But it's all covered over by hundreds of pages of 'I'm rad... or am I?!' Also, Rothfuss is a turbogoon.

Writing 200 pages of non-plot can be fine and dandy, assuming you're not writing for plot originally, and also not writing something over 400 pages or so (and even then, that's going a bit far). So ie, not genre writers in the past few decades.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH3K74bTGq0

At least we can all endlessly speculate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:laffo: at any fan that was surprised or angry that the latest book is delayed

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's more like a cancer patient finding out that the malignant tumors are acting up again. We're too weary from the chemo to respond with real anger, we're not surprised in the least, but drat if we have to be happy about it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Arbite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH3K74bTGq0

At least we can all endlessly speculate.

Faceless 2? That means There was faceless 1. I have to catch up.

Ahahaha okay yeah jaq'hen kept the iron coin up his rear end while in the black cells. Good job. His magic rear end coin helped him locate a telepath in arya.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 7, 2016

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I did like the idea that Syrio was able to see through a glamour, and hence why he was appointed First Sword.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Trivia posted:

I did like the idea that Syrio was able to see through a glamour, and hence why he was appointed First Sword.

I just got to this part and slapped my cheeks like holy poo poo. The blind, rabid squirrel found a nut against all odds.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Krinkle posted:

Faceless 2? That means There was faceless 1. I have to catch up.

Ahahaha okay yeah jaq'hen kept the iron coin up his rear end while in the black cells. Good job. His magic rear end coin helped him locate a telepath in arya.

well where else did he keep it?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

jsoh posted:

Up his urethra, clearly.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

along with the rear end poison

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

He didn't give her the coin straight out of jail so why jump straight to the christopher walkin speech to explain it? Keeping an iron coin whose only loving purpose is a free ride home on his person at all times is dumb as hell. Stash it somewhere. You can't kill someone with it. Okay yes two people were killed with coins in the books so far but if it requires a weird coin poison then literally any coin will do and preferably a coin that looks like a metal you'd bite.

There's literally no reason for him to have it on him.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Maybe he can just make any coin the special coin?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pugnax posted:

So you're saying instead of a coin he carries a die and press up his urethra?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

pugnax posted:

Faceless Coins for Faceless Men.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

. You can't kill someone with it. Okay yes two people were killed with coins in the books so far...

Laughed aloud for some reason when I read this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

computer parts posted:

So like the ending of that one goosebumps book about the blob.

No, that's 100% :lost:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think this is the fourth time I say this but... you guys do realize preston is joking right? He's probably even specifically making a Pulp Fiction reference. He's not really speculating about whether Jaqen kept the coin in his butt he's just going "Gee I wonder where he kept that coin huh???" and moving forward, I don't know why so many people seem hung up on this and take it as proof of Preston's irrationality. He's kidding.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think this is the fourth time I say this but... you guys do realize preston is joking right? He's probably even specifically making a Pulp Fiction reference. He's not really speculating about whether Jaqen kept the coin in his butt he's just going "Gee I wonder where he kept that coin huh???" and moving forward, I don't know why so many people seem hung up on this and take it as proof of Preston's irrationality. He's kidding.

Okay but the next thing he said that rorge and biter are also faceless men and they're on a mission to bring in powerful psychics is straight up insane and unsupported by the text. His reasons for these are asinine. Like I'm having trouble finding where to start. They died to brienne of tarth and some idiot so they can't be mystical assassins. Rounding up an army and burning villages is like the literal exact loving opposite of the faceless men modus operandi. You pay for precision and deniability. Not wanton swaths of rape and destruction. "why did they listen to j'haqen if they weren't literally his co-workers from the house of black and white" well how about it implies that j'haqen can loving threaten them somehow. They saw some poo poo in the black cells and are afraid of him. How about that's character building for j'aquen and not proof of illuminati conspiracies you loving insane idiot?

So yeah he joked about the coin up the butt, sort of, no actually I honestly think he believes the coin was up his butt but he uses that coin up the butt to prove that he can't ALSO have had basilisk blood up his butt. He couldn't have poisoned the dog to go insane and bite that guy at harrenhall because he already had a coin up there.

He's so against the idea of him being resourceful, having some loving forethought to leave a stash, or glamoring a loving pocket so people don't search it, etc, and he's using a butt coin to railroad his viewers into going down his rabbitholes.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Does that site really not exist at all anymore? I remember them having to switch hosts a couple different times, and that Linda did gently caress with them, but I'm pretty sure is still existed during the latest TV season, just hardly anyone who was originally involved with creating n running it was on the site anymore, probably just due to the general apathy and resignation that's replaced both the anger and need-to-asskiss from both sides of the long time ASOIAF-reading internet Gurm divide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

Okay but the next thing he said that rorge and biter are also faceless men and they're on a mission to bring in powerful psychics is straight up insane and unsupported by the text. His reasons for these are asinine. Like I'm having trouble finding where to start. They died to brienne of tarth and some idiot so they can't be mystical assassins. Rounding up an army and burning villages is like the literal exact loving opposite of the faceless men modus operandi. You pay for precision and deniability. Not wanton swaths of rape and destruction. "why did they listen to j'haqen if they weren't literally his co-workers from the house of black and white" well how about it implies that j'haqen can loving threaten them somehow. They saw some poo poo in the black cells and are afraid of him. How about that's character building for j'aquen and not proof of illuminati conspiracies you loving insane idiot?

So yeah he joked about the coin up the butt, sort of, no actually I honestly think he believes the coin was up his butt but he uses that coin up the butt to prove that he can't ALSO have had basilisk blood up his butt. He couldn't have poisoned the dog to go insane and bite that guy at harrenhall because he already had a coin up there.

He's so against the idea of him being resourceful, having some loving forethought to leave a stash, or glamoring a loving pocket so people don't search it, etc, and he's using a butt coin to railroad his viewers into going down his rabbitholes.

I'm not saying everything he says even remotely makes any sort of sense, many of his theories are exceedingly stupid and hinge on very weak evidence that relies on an emotionally tone-deaf reading of the text, I said this before but I think Preston's "value" to a non tinfoil viewer is in his ability to point out certain details which are easily glossed over during a casual reading of the dense tomes the gurm shat out.

I don't think Rorge and Biter are faceless men, but I do think that Preston makes a good case that they might have been enlisted by the Faceless men or by whoever hired Jaqen, there's also cause to think that Varys might have been specifically involved in whatever scheme though three were a part of.

What I'm saying concerning the butt coin is that it's a silly thing to get hung up on cause Preston is clearly joking and heck, it's not a bad joke to throw in there, you guys hear that line and go 'omg that is so preposterous! there were a dozen different ways for Jaqen to hide that coin!' but ignore the fact that Preston doesn't seem to think that the hiding place of the coin is important and doesn't discuss it any further past the joke, so perhaps the more likely explanation is that he agrees that the coin could have easily been hidden, even more so given that he alleges a possible conspiracy that led to Rorge, Biter and Jaqen posing as inmates in the first place.