Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supremezero posted:

The problem with Laura and Fie is that you then can't have both Machias and a caster (Alisa or Jusis, usually).

Why not? Couldn't they jump in and take Rean's spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Not seeing enough Elliott love in this thread. Elliott is life. Elliott is hometown.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Not seeing enough Elliott love in this thread. Elliott is life. Resounding Beat is hometown.

fixed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Putting in some time in Cold Steel and the game owns. Curious though since I put the game on easy (I'm a sissy baby and don't have the patience for these games on harder difficulties) but how difficult is the game on the normal difficulty? I'm getting the hang of combat now and wouldn't mind starting over tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The game is still pretty easy even on normal. A couple of bosses can be pains but it isn't much of an issue. I played the game on hard and still only had trouble in a few instances, it's a pretty low-tuned game.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
About to start Chapter 4, I think, in SC. I just got done with Grancel. I kinda figured Renne was gonna turn out to be bad; any recommendations for my party? I've been sticking with Estelle, Agate, Olivier, and Kloe since they tend to cover all of my bases.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

About to start Chapter 4, I think, in SC. I just got done with Grancel. I kinda figured Renne was gonna turn out to be bad; any recommendations for my party? I've been sticking with Estelle, Agate, Olivier, and Kloe since they tend to cover all of my bases.

that's a pretty good party yeah. Honestly it's hard to go wrong, the closest thing to a bad party member is probably Tita and even she's got her advantages.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Schera will be a mandatory party member for the next chapter and the game will briefly force you to play with an all females-party. With Schera locked to your second slot, you probably want to go with Zane/Agate as your physical attacker and Olivier as your mage. It's often a good idea to have a gender-balanced party since most pieces of unique gear are gender-locked.

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong, though I'd suggest occasionally swapping members so all your party members remain somewhat leveled. Occasionally the game forces you to have certain characters along and I've already lost count of the amount of times I've heard someone cry out about how the game forced him to use characters who weren't part of his dream team and now they're too weak to be useful.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Does cold steel have a Cloak equivalent that I just didn't see? I def wanna have something like that when I do my inevitable replay before CS 2 is out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

Does cold steel have a Cloak equivalent that I just didn't see? I def wanna have something like that when I do my inevitable replay before CS 2 is out.

I never saw any Haze or Cloak quartz, but if you choose to keep your levels on NG+ most of the monsters will flee from you. You'll also be able to kill them with field attacks, although this won't fill in the Monster Guide or give you any items apart from a few sepith.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 5, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
There is, however, the Intimidation Quartz, which increases the chances of the above mentioned "enemies running away from you"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Supremezero posted:

There is, however, the Intimidation Quartz, which increases the chances of the above mentioned "enemies running away from you"
Does this cancel out Scent? Because Scent had some lovely spells on it but I didn't want to put it on because I don't want every enemy making a beeline for me.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
There's certain sections in Cold Steel that really made me wish Falcom had the budget and artistic expertise to create amazing vistas like in Xenoblade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

There's certain sections in Cold Steel that really made me wish Falcom had the budget and artistic expertise to create amazing vistas like in Xenoblade.

God, I hated the plains. They are a cool idea but in practice just means everything takes 3 times as long to do as anywhere else.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Does this cancel out Scent? Because Scent had some lovely spells on it but I didn't want to put it on because I don't want every enemy making a beeline for me.

*shrug* I didn't really check, and it's hard to know for sure. But it doesn't really matter much. You make Intimidation with Phantom Phobias... which you won't really be able to get enough of until the spells on Scent are pretty much outdated.

ImpAtom posted:

God, I hated the plains. They are a cool idea but in practice just means everything takes 3 times as long to do as anywhere else.

That's what the horse is for, though? It really doesn't take significantly longer.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it wasn't too bad with horse riding + dashing. Plus I really loved the music track that played on the plains.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

That's what the horse is for, though? It really doesn't take significantly longer.

The Horse is why it takes 3 times as long instead of 10 times as long. It still sucks especially because the fast travel locations are basically worthless. Especially compared the area afterwards which is large but has actual good fast travel. There's one sidequest which is just "go to the military base, then go back, then go back to the military base" which is probably the biggest waste of time in the game. I'm also not really using a FAQ so it makes checking for hidden quests twice as loving annoying.

A question: Are the DLC costumes (at least in theory) supposed to be compatible with the sequel too or just ToCS1?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 6, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Nord Highlands are the place for taking your time, taking in the scenery and chilling out to that sweet flute action, not rushing obsessively

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Really Pants posted:

the Nord Highlands are the place for taking your time, taking in the scenery and chilling out to that sweet flute action, not rushing obsessively

And fishing at Lake Hylia too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

They are large almost entirely barren plains in a game with pretty lacking visuals. The NPCs all clustered in a few locations, there's not much in the way of things to discover and not much in the way of interesting sidequests. I'm not sure why I'd want to take in the scenery when literally every other area in the game is more interesting. Maybe it's coming off Xenoblade X but I enjoyed exploring the other areas a lot more.

(The music is real good tho'.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I will concede that the Highlands exhibit an occasionally sub-optimal level of old men waxing eloquent about their granddaughter's tits :corsair:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wat

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Cold Steel is real good. I'm a slow player though, I tend to hump every wall and look in every corner, talk to everyone until they don't say anything new, etc. I'm in Chapter 2 right now and I'm satisfied that characters I thought would entirely insufferable have a bit more dimension to them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You could probably skip the wall-humping. People & events always show up on the map, and an early quest gets you a Detection quartz that puts every treasure chest on the map as well. The only things you might miss are a handful of out-of-the-way fishing spots.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

You could probably skip the wall-humping. People & events always show up on the map, and an early quest gets you a Detection quartz that puts every treasure chest on the map as well. The only things you might miss are a handful of out-of-the-way fishing spots.

It's just the way I play games, I'm not sure I can break the habit. Plus I fish every point to exhaustion when I see it so I like to find them.

Speaking of Fish, is your rank determined by points or number of fish caught? I ranked up at 6 Fish in Chapter 2 but I'm not sure if that was the trigger or the points were. Also, what are Groundbaits best used for? Rare fish somewhere?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Levantine posted:

It's just the way I play games, I'm not sure I can break the habit. Plus I fish every point to exhaustion when I see it so I like to find them.

Speaking of Fish, is your rank determined by points or number of fish caught? I ranked up at 6 Fish in Chapter 2 but I'm not sure if that was the trigger or the points were. Also, what are Groundbaits best used for? Rare fish somewhere?

Pretty sure it's number of unique fish caught

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Your fishing rank goes up at 6 and 12 types of fish caught. You can get other stuff from Kenneth at 19 and 20 types.

I use Groundbaits when I'm low on CP out in the field, because fishing can restore it quickly.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I used a majority of my groundbaits on a fishing hole in chapter 3, as it marked the return of glorious 30-of-all-sepith rainbow trout from TitS, and I needed all the sepith I could get to unlock Emma's last slot :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I used a majority of my groundbaits on a fishing hole in chapter 3, as it marked the return of glorious 30-of-all-sepith rainbow trout from TitS, and I needed all the sepith I could get to unlock Emma's last slot :v:

Ah, that's what I was waiting for, loved those guys in SC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I forget, can you buy Groundbait or do you just have to find it in random places?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I forget, can you buy Groundbait or do you just have to find it in random places?
You can buy it with U-materials at the pawn shop but I would recommend against it, you get plenty just through playing the game and opening chests etc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, the pawn shop doesn't seem like a good bet.

I just didn't know that Rainbow Trouts were coming up in Chapter 3 and I wanted to stock up, if possible.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I just didn't know that Rainbow Trouts were coming up in Chapter 3 and I wanted to stock up, if possible.
Once you find them in chapter 3 they start showing up in Trista too, so no need to use too much bait on them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

The pawn shop is handy for replacing obsolete healing items, but 5 U-Material for 1 Groundbait is the worst deal.

Once you find them in chapter 3 they start showing up in Trista too, so no need to use too much bait on them.

This also seems to carry over in NG+. I was pulling up Catfish and Gluttonous Bass on the first free day.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Welp, beat Cold Steel. I, probably like many others, can't wait for that sequel and eventual Third Chapter.

I read ahead a while ago before the game came out over here but that didn't make me any less giddy at all the twists/reveals.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Don't even need to find them in chapter 3, as I found a sum total of 2 fishing spots on field studies (chapters 5 and 6) and still got all 20 fish varieties.

In my defense, I was too impatient to wait for Rean's Active Voice line to finish and kept moving past them until the game forced me to stop to finish a sidequest.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Levantine posted:

Cold Steel is real good. I'm a slow player though, I tend to hump every wall and look in every corner, talk to everyone until they don't say anything new, etc. I'm in Chapter 2 right now and I'm satisfied that characters I thought would entirely insufferable have a bit more dimension to them.

That's exactly how I felt. Machias/Jusis comes across as huge assholes but when you eventually got their backstory, I was like, ok fair enough, I see where you both coming from. Each member of Class VII got a little quirk in their backstory, especially when it comes to their family. Except for Gaius, he seems to be, by far, the most normal and chill dude.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

davidHalestorm posted:

That's exactly how I felt. Machias/Jusis comes across as huge assholes but when you eventually got their backstory, I was like, ok fair enough, I see where you both coming from. Each member of Class VII got a little quirk in their backstory, especially when it comes to their family. Except for Gaius, he seems to be, by far, the most normal and chill dude.

Yes, Gaius is like alt-Rean. Just a level headed dude with a good attitude.

I am getting so much out of this game right now. Money is still kind of an issue but resolvable with like a bit of time. In Chapter 2, (slight spoilers) Day 2 of Field study, I made a run on the Auroch Path after finishing off Anton's hidden quest. Clearing everything there and on the way back took like a half hour while I was drinking my coffee this morning and I ended up with 8k in funds. Also, is that Anton Anton from TitS?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, that's the same guy. He still hates anniversary festivals and everything.

davidHalestorm posted:

Having a happy family with no melodrama totally counts as a quirk. It's just so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Oh, one question - where are the shining pom baits best used? I got 3 from some patch I think and they are just sitting there. Do they scale to your level or are they best used in early chapters?