Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Xavier434 posted:

This is interesting but the setup does initially strike me as complex.

Oh, I agree that it is complex, but it has also been very simple to use and very reliable. The biggest problem I have had with it was when my wife put a picture frame on the console in a way that blocked the IR blaster from controlling the HDMI switcher. The HDMI switcher was actually optional for the whole set up. I was originally IR blasting the TV directly, but my TV did not have any IR commands to switch directly to a specific HDMI input, so I was having to send it the button presses to open the input menu, go down to select the next input and then press enter to select it. It was slower and a little less reliable. The HDMI switch actually has IR command for each specific input and works every time.

Xavier434 posted:

I did not previously consider utilizing features from a single universal remote to accomplish what I want before and as such I know little to nothing about the latest remotes out there. I suppose that if I had a remote which had a button that switched to the HDMI input for Kodi and another button that switched to the Roku's HDMI input while also allowing me to use that same remote to control both devices then I would be all set. The goal would be for my younger kids to not really know that there are two devices in play here. They only know that this one remote allows them to easily find and watch whatever it is they want to watch.

This brings me to big question which is whether or not there are remotes out there that will allow me to do that and if so then what do you all recommend?

I think you would either need to do something like what I did or get a Logitech Harmony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think you would either need to do something like what I did or get a Logitech Harmony

Is there anyone here with a Harmony or another universal remote who has a PC media center with Kodi and a Roku and is able to control both devices with their one remote? I'd like to here about what you are using and what the configuration was like.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Xavier434 posted:

This is interesting but the setup does initially strike me as complex. I did not previously consider utilizing features from a single universal remote to accomplish what I want before and as such I know little to nothing about the latest remotes out there. I suppose that if I had a remote which had a button that switched to the HDMI input for Kodi and another button that switched to the Roku's HDMI input while also allowing me to use that same remote to control both devices then I would be all set. The goal would be for my younger kids to not really know that there are two devices in play here. They only know that this one remote allows them to easily find and watch whatever it is they want to watch.

This brings me to big question which is whether or not there are remotes out there that will allow me to do that and if so then what do you all recommend?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes and an FLIRC

There may be other remotes out there that are better, but I don't know anything about them. I've got a Logitech Harmony One (no longer made). It controls my TV, receiver, PS3 (with an adapter), and Nvidia Shield. It's got a touch screen that you program with activities (I assume the new models with touch screens are the same). I've got activities for watching tv, PS3, Nvidia shield and the Wii. You program the remote with what devices are used with a specific activity. It swaps inputs on the A/V receiver and TV to wherever input(s) needs to be active, and turns on/off the appropriate devices.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
What's a good way to watch sports streams links I get from a subreddit on Kodi (via a Fire stick)?

This would be super easy if I had a chromecast but there has to be a browser or something that can handle the links, right? Just your run of the mill flash or html5 in-browser stream. Is it possible to edit sportsdevil to include the subreddit source?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

blk96gt posted:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes and an FLIRC

There may be other remotes out there that are better, but I don't know anything about them. I've got a Logitech Harmony One (no longer made). It controls my TV, receiver, PS3 (with an adapter), and Nvidia Shield. It's got a touch screen that you program with activities (I assume the new models with touch screens are the same). I've got activities for watching tv, PS3, Nvidia shield and the Wii. You program the remote with what devices are used with a specific activity. It swaps inputs on the A/V receiver and TV to wherever input(s) needs to be active, and turns on/off the appropriate devices.

Ok so if I get one of these remotes with an FLIRC then you are saying that I will get the following:

1. A single button that will immediately switch me to the HDMI input of my Roku.
2. A different button that will immediately switch me to the HDMI input of my PC media center running Kodi.
3. The remote can fully control both my media center and Roku.
4. The remote can control the basic functionality of my TV like volume and so forth.

Is that right? If so then I think that this is probably the easiest solution for me unless I decide to go nuts with my money and buy one of those new Sony TVs just announced at CES or something.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Should work without huge issues. I have an Apple TV (which is IR) and it's no different then adding the activity and customizing the buttons to your liking. The Harmony desktop app UI is bad but not atrocious, it just takes some time to get used to.

If you have a stick, understand that you need to buy the Wi-Fi hub set and a compatible remote, though in that case, it's just cheaper to buy an IR-equipped Roku.

Kodi's a bit different because for whatever reason the Flirc configuration on Harmony is incomplete. I worked around it by adding custom IR signals with a remote I didn't use anymore. Flirc then can read off those signals and map them to the keys that weren't originally mapped (e.g., Play/Pause was originally unmapped).

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Xavier434 posted:

Ok so if I get one of these remotes with an FLIRC then you are saying that I will get the following:

1. A single button that will immediately switch me to the HDMI input of my Roku.
2. A different button that will immediately switch me to the HDMI input of my PC media center running Kodi.
4. The remote can control the basic functionality of my TV like volume and so forth.

Is that right? If so then I think that this is probably the easiest solution for me unless I decide to go nuts with my money and buy one of those new Sony TVs just announced at CES or something.

1) Yes, the Harmony calls it "Activities"
2) See one
3) Yes. Dependent on your remote/hub, though. See my previous post.
4) Yes, the Harmony apps are smart enough to straight up ask you which device you want to control volume on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You can also get a MCE IR reciever for your PC and Harmony has complete support for it and it controls Kodi just fine.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I picked up the Harmony Hub + Keyboard set last week. And it's great at managing not only standard IR stuff, but also wacky bluetooth stuff like PS3/4 and Wii U. I have one of its USB dongles on my Kodi HTPC and the keyboard works great (along with the virtual keyboard/mouse on the phone). The missing piece is figuring out an easy way to add media remote type stuff for the PC on the app instead of using the virtual keyboard. I'd like to think it's doable I just haven't delved into it yet.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

The Milkman posted:

The missing piece is figuring out an easy way to add media remote type stuff for the PC on the app instead of using the virtual keyboard. I'd like to think it's doable I just haven't delved into it yet.

You mean like play/pause/volume? Use something like AutoHotKey to trigger the events, and map the hotkeys to spare keys on your remote for that activity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Xavier434 posted:

I have an older Harmony and just got my parents a new 650.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-remote-650

Basically, you input all your devices into the Harmony software. Then, you set up activities and select the devices that they control. Eg, "Watch TV" would include the TV, the receiver, and the satellite dish. You'd also have to tell it which inputs you need for each device. For the most basic setup, a single button press on the remote will turn on all the devices, switch their inputs to the correct ones, and program the buttons to control the specific devices. Usually, the remote will be "all the buttons control the satellite box", but the volume buttons will control either the TV or receiver (depending on your setup). You can drill down further to customize your controls manually to do any sort of things. Like, I used to have an activity that controlled my Xbox, except the volume buttons controlled my receiver, and I had a custom control created to change my TV's aspect ratio. Once the activity is running, there is no more switching of inputs or anything that needs to be done with the remote; it just works.

You can create any number of activities and set three (on the 650 remote) to be single button presses, the rest to be selected through the LCD screen. So for your case, you can have the "Watch TV" button boot up the Roku and the "Watch Movie" button boot up the HTPC.

There are additional power options that you can play with. You can have it automatically shut down devices as you switch activities (default, I personally don't like this behavior) or you can have it leave certain devices on 24/7 (like my parents' cable box that takes forever to boot up and would cancel DVR functions if turned off). When you hit the Power Off button, the remote turns all your devices off (other the ones set to 24/7 operation).

For the PC side, the FLIRC takes any input you send it and converts it to a button press. You literally tell it "this is the signal for 'A'", then press the button on your remote to send the signal and teach the FLIRC. The only thing you need to do with the Harmony is to make sure you send a unique signal to the FLIRC. You don't want to use the TV or Roku signal to control your HTPC as your other devices will also pick it up and react. There are generic Media Center devices in the Harmony library that you can use for that activity. Just program every button press on the Harmony to correspond with the Kodi shortcut and you're good to go.

It's a little bit of setup, but once it's done, your flow can be:
-Have Roku and HTPC running 24/7.
-Press "Watch TV".
-Harmony turns on the TV and receiver, switches the inputs to show the Roku signal, and sets itself up to control the Roku while controlling the receiver's volume.
-Press "Watch Movie".
-Harmony switches the inputs to show the HTPC signal, and sets itself up to control the HTPC while controlling the receiver's volume.
-Press "Off".
-Harmony turns off your TV and receiver.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there an improvement to sportsdevil? Lately I haven't gotten any streams to work and just resort to googling for streams.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there an improvement to sportsdevil? Lately I haven't gotten any streams to work and just resort to googling for streams.

How do you view these googled streams in Kodi? My question got lost in the remote chat.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

supersteve posted:

How do you view these googled streams in Kodi? My question got lost in the remote chat.

I assume you don't have an iOS device? Kodi has built in Airplay support.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You can control your Windows HTPC with a Harmony but it ends up being a pain so I suggest having a wireless KB/M handy. Something grabs focus or Windows decides to spawn some retarded function like Sticky Keys for absolutely no reason or its lovely interaction with receivers causes the resolution to change and so on. I used to do all of that with a Harmony and Eventghost but it was not wife friendly at all and required too much tinkering, not to mention the initial setup was absurd.

After blowing like 2 grand on various efforts over 2-3 years I ended up with a FireTV and we're pretty happy. Everything just works, runs Kodi, Plex, Emby, all of the streaming apps and blah blah blah. Firestarter is great and less annoying than the default interface. I think the only thing its missing is an NHL Gamecenter app but whatever, I just turn on the PS4 and watch it on there.

I really want a Shield to gently caress around with but they're like $300 Canadian and thats way too much for something I wouldn't do much gaming on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LmaoTheKid posted:

Netflix/Prime also have the WAF aspect going for them though the Roku Emby client is easy as hell to use.

I dunno. It's arguable that Kodi+Usenet has a higher WAF...once you have it set up. I mean, with Kodi, all of the media is in one unified interface and you don't have multiple apps you've got to switch between.

edit:

Just to describe how video media works in my house:

We turn on TV, Kodi is always running so it's just there. Using harmony remote, scroll through lists and select what we want to watch. The home screen of Kodi has recently added and in-progress widgets so that's what actually gets used 90% of the time.

On the home server, the various usenet tools automatically obtain the media as its available. When wife or I want a new specific movie that we don't have yet because we just heard about it we go to its page on IMDB, and click the Couchpotato extension to automatically get it and its available to watch 15 minutes later (or whatever depending on movie size). Though, actually this 15 minute delay never happens because when we hear about a new movie coming out, we add it to Couchpotato via the IMDB extension and then when it does eventually come out it just downloads and we get a notification about it on the Kodi recently-added widget (and via Pushbullet on our phones).

If we're just in the mood to browse, we've got a very large local collection of movies because of the fact that we've been doing the add-upcoming-new-movie-that-looks-interesting-to-couchpotato thing for years, or we can browse various lists on IMDB or Trakt.tv or wherever else the Couchpotato extension works at.

It all basically works the same way with TV, except we just add new shows we're interested in to the Sonarr interface because it's web interface works well, and adding new shows isn't something that happens too often.

I have to janitor misnamed TV shows maybe 15 minutes a month.

Also, as I always point out, I subscribe to multiple online streaming services as well as cable tv with premium channels because it's the only way to support content creators (I'd much rather just give them money directly, but thats another conversation). Kodi just gives me higher quality video and audio, better fast forward and rewind or skipping, and a unified, logical, beautiful interface that I just can't get out of Android TV and Netflix and Amazon and Hulu and blah, blah, blah.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 6, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

supersteve posted:

I have an htpc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno. It's arguable that Kodi+Usenet has a higher WAF...once you have it set up. I mean, with Kodi, all of the media is in one unified interface and you don't have multiple apps you've got to switch between.

This is the key tho. We're not cord cutters, I have no intention of CJing my video consumption. Kodi/Emby is just a way for us to get our Linux ISOs in the livingroom on the nice surround setup and big TV (Kodi/Emby Server on my HTPC) and the same videos in the bedroom where she basically lives (Roku, Emby Client). She doesn't really gently caress around with Kodi when we're in the livingroom which is fine with me. She jumps back and forth between Emby/Prime/Netflix with no problems on the Roku. I get what you're saying about the unified interface but if she wants her shows, she can just use the cablebox.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Everyone with a smartphone - so everyone - gets the concept of apps, the trick is just making sure the remote control experience is smooth between them, which can take some work with Kodi depending on the remote and device.

Once the remote buttons all do the same things - and the less buttons, the better - everyone gets it. That's been my experience.

With Kodi, you are essentially your own curator. Yes, you can automate the poo poo out of a lot of it with Sonarr, Sabnzbd, Couchpotato, Emby, etc. but what I mean is you are ultimately in charge of building and maintaining the library. With HBO Now/Go, Netflix, etc. they are in charge and you just open the app. There's a place for both.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You guys are awesome. This is exactly the kind of comprehensive response I was looking for. One last question. Does it matter which FLIRC that I purchase or should I just pick something on Amazon/Newegg which doesn't have poo poo reviews or cost much?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LmaoTheKid posted:

This is the key tho. We're not cord cutters, I have no intention of CJing my video consumption. Kodi/Emby is just a way for us to get our Linux ISOs in the livingroom on the nice surround setup and big TV (Kodi/Emby Server on my HTPC) and the same videos in the bedroom where she basically lives (Roku, Emby Client). She doesn't really gently caress around with Kodi when we're in the livingroom which is fine with me. She jumps back and forth between Emby/Prime/Netflix with no problems on the Roku. I get what you're saying about the unified interface but if she wants her shows, she can just use the cablebox.

Well, I'm not arguing that Kodi + Usenet is better, I'm arguing that its not worse. Also, see my edit above.

Ixian posted:

Everyone with a smartphone - so everyone - gets the concept of apps, the trick is just making sure the remote control experience is smooth between them, which can take some work with Kodi depending on the remote and device.

Kodi + apps for other services is a bad experience no matter how you configure your remote. Kodi + usenet negates the need for additional apps.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

I assume you don't have an iOS device? Kodi has built in Airplay support.

I do but was not aware of the AirPlay support. I'll have to play around with that. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

supersteve posted:

I do but was not aware of the AirPlay support. I'll have to play around with that. Thanks!

Np, make sure you install Bonjour Print service on the box with Kodi. Obviously, you can use an OSX device too if the video chipset supports quicksync (iirc anything after 2011)

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I was watching a movie that I got stored locally on my hard drive, and twice was Kodi "buffering" shortly.
That should not be necessary so I googled the Kodi buffering settings, and the default is no buffering for local files. So why did it buffer twice?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jarl posted:

I was watching a movie that I got stored locally on my hard drive, and twice was Kodi "buffering" shortly.
That should not be necessary so I googled the Kodi buffering settings, and the default is no buffering for local files. So why did it buffer twice?

Is it possible that either you or some rogue add-on messed with advancedsettings.xml ?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I'm not arguing that Kodi + Usenet is better, I'm arguing that its not worse. Also, see my edit above.

Kodi + apps for other services is a bad experience no matter how you configure your remote. Kodi + usenet negates the need for additional apps.

I disagree, but each to their own. I can launch apps right from Kodi's home screen (I use the Titan skin) and when I exit them it goes back to Kodi. It's about as simple as can be. This is the default way Netflix gets watched in my house.

The only tricky part, as I mentioned, was making sure I had the buttons mapped right on my remote so that, for example, the "back" key does the same thing. For apps it's easy it's just a matter of making sure Kodi does it.

And I still disagree Usenet negates the need for other apps. It negates the need for the delivery system said apps provide maybe, but not the library and search services they provide.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Slowhanded posted:

You mean like play/pause/volume? Use something like AutoHotKey to trigger the events, and map the hotkeys to spare keys on your remote for that activity.

I'm not using a physical remote anymore (well aside from the actual keyboard+trackpad that came with it), I'm using the Harmony phone app to issue commands. Right now when I'm in my Watch PC activity I only have virtual keyboard+mouse input available, it's not set up in Harmony as a media device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

I disagree, but each to their own. I can launch apps right from Kodi's home screen (I use the Titan skin) and when I exit them it goes back to Kodi. It's about as simple as can be. This is the default way Netflix gets watched in my house.

The only tricky part, as I mentioned, was making sure I had the buttons mapped right on my remote so that, for example, the "back" key does the same thing. For apps it's easy it's just a matter of making sure Kodi does it.

And I still disagree Usenet negates the need for other apps. It negates the need for the delivery system said apps provide maybe, but not the library and search services they provide.

So, I want to be sure I understand you here...you're claiming that having a different UI paradigm, look, and quality for each app is better than just having their shows and movies integrated into one UI?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

So, I want to be sure I understand you here...you're claiming that having a different UI paradigm, look, and quality for each app is better than just having their shows and movies integrated into one UI?

Not at all. If "the Boxee approach" (back before they lost out, sold out, then faded to irrelevance) was truly workable, that would be great. Would love to have a Kodi-like experience for everything.

Of course we know how that went, no content provider (or gatekeeper) wants their stuff mixed in to one general UI, they want to own the experience. So here we are.

What I am trying (and apparently failing) to get across is that with Kodi, while you can create your own unified interface - by ripping your own media, recording/converting off live TV, or finding wonderful surprises in the linux isos you download off Usenet - it's still all up to you.

Yes, you can end up with a wonderful looking library, all in one interface, with the covers and other metadata just like you want them, and all anyone has to do is browse "tv shows" or "movies" or whatever and click. It's great but you have to do it. You have to trawl around and decide what you want to watch then either manually get it or instruct some (admittedly great) external service like Sonarr to go get it for you.

Netflix and the rest give you a library to browse through. You can just sit there and flip through things until you see something that looks interesting then click a button and get it. These days you can even get it in pretty great looking 4k on some services. It's easy to forget but this is how most people get content these days and it works pretty well.

So it's a worthwhile goal to pick a device that is cheap, unobtrusive, requires next to no setup, and does a good job of running not only Kodi - which absolutely still has a place - but as many of the other services as possible.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ixian posted:

Yes, you can end up with a wonderful looking library, all in one interface, with the covers and other metadata just like you want them, and all anyone has to do is browse "tv shows" or "movies" or whatever and click. It's great but you have to do it. You have to trawl around and decide what you want to watch then either manually get it or instruct some (admittedly great) external service like Sonarr to go get it for you.

Netflix and the rest give you a library to browse through. You can just sit there and flip through things until you see something that looks interesting then click a button and get it. These days you can even get it in pretty great looking 4k on some services. It's easy to forget but this is how most people get content these days and it works pretty well.

So it's a worthwhile goal to pick a device that is cheap, unobtrusive, requires next to no setup, and does a good job of running not only Kodi - which absolutely still has a place - but as many of the other services as possible.

I am going to jump in and just quickly say that you both are kinda right.

I find that there is no better content viewing experience than a fully customized experience that caters to all of your personal preferences. Local content is the only way to achieve that, but in doing so you do sacrifice some convenience at least initially. Local content is also nice because you are guaranteed control which can be a blessing or a curse but wanting the best of anything in life usually requires putting in more effort right? That plus it sucks when your content suddenly vanishes because your streaming service of choice allows a contract to expire for whatever reason. So, when I want the absolute best experience I find myself willing to put forth the effort to make that happen with local content.

However, I do not always feel the need to have that experience and that is where streaming services shine the most. They are cheap, easy, quick, and the quality is usually pretty good. They also come with the added benefit of being better for discovering new content which I appreciate and use a lot, but that can also be achieved in a ton of different ways that are not limited to your home media setup.

So yes, there is definitely a place for both. It all just depends on what sacrifices you are willing to make and where you are willing to make them.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Is it possible that either you or some rogue add-on messed with advancedsettings.xml ?

The advancedsettings.xml file is not created (as per default). Also the only add-on I have installed is watchdog.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jarl posted:

It will still say its buffering if it can't read the data due to an interruption. It could be as simple as a temporary I/O bottleneck, I wouldn't read too much into it. If you're writing or reading a big file and attempting to playback a 720p video or something at the same time then yeah it might buffer, depends on the hardware and other factors. That's all I can really say about it without more info (OS, hardware, what kind of file, etc)

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

It will still say its buffering if it can't read the data due to an interruption. It could be as simple as a temporary I/O bottleneck, I wouldn't read too much into it. If you're writing or reading a big file and attempting to playback a 720p video or something at the same time then yeah it might buffer, depends on the hardware and other factors. That's all I can really say about it without more info (OS, hardware, what kind of file, etc)

Fair enough. The only reason I was taken aback by this is that I've used media player classic for years and never experienced stuttering. I've used kodi for a few weeks without any problems, and then I experience it twice watching the same movie. Must have been some download by windows 7 in the background.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jarl posted:

Fair enough. The only reason I was taken aback by this is that I've used media player classic for years and never experienced stuttering. I've used kodi for a few weeks without any problems, and then I experience it twice watching the same movie. Must have been some download by windows 7 in the background.

If it becomes more consistent then it could point to problems with the disk or a rogue process stealing resources but I wouldn't sweat it otherwise. If you watch files during the initial Kodi startup too that can cause the same thing, it will go looking for addon updates and I've seen it buffer during that process before.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jarl posted:

This happened to me a couple of years back and the hard drive the media was stored on died shortly after.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

Not at all. If "the Boxee approach" (back before they lost out, sold out, then faded to irrelevance) was truly workable, that would be great. Would love to have a Kodi-like experience for everything.

Of course we know how that went, no content provider (or gatekeeper) wants their stuff mixed in to one general UI, they want to own the experience. So here we are.

What I am trying (and apparently failing) to get across is that with Kodi, while you can create your own unified interface - by ripping your own media, recording/converting off live TV, or finding wonderful surprises in the linux isos you download off Usenet - it's still all up to you.

Right, I don't disagree that you should consider a box that has whatever streaming services available to you because you might want to fallback to something like that. I mean, I just this morning ordered a Shield for the TV i'm putting in our basement. However, I think you're overestimating the difficulty of content discovery and addition with a Kodi+usenet system.

While there is some sort of value in a lean back, channel-browsing and discovery type of experience, I don't think the fact that people currently use such a system says much in its favor...it's the only thing most people know about and have access to, and the initial setup requires time and effort.

So, I'm not arguing that the content discovery experience on your TV (aka, Netflix or whatever) is not valuable, or that the content discovery experience via web (IMDB, Trakt.tv, whatever) is better, I'm arguing that it's possibly outweighed in the general case, and is definitely outweighed in many specific cases by the better user experience of Kodi+usenet.

I mean, I was just showing my mom and my wife a Youtube video of the Shield/Android TV experience last night while asking the wife what she thought about getting one for the basement TV, and her exact words were "it looks complicated".

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 7, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Right, I don't disagree that you should consider a box that has whatever streaming services available to you because you might want to fallback to something like that. I mean, I just this morning ordered a Shield for the TV i'm putting in our basement. However, I think you're overestimating the difficulty of content discovery and addition with a Kodi+usenet system.

While there is some sort of value in a lean back, channel-browsing and discovery type of experience, I don't think the fact that people currently use such a system says much in its favor...it's the only thing most people know about and have access to, and the initial setup requires time and effort.

So, I'm not arguing that the content discovery experience on your TV (aka, Netflix or whatever) is not valuable, or that the content discovery experience via web (IMDB, Trakt.tv, whatever) is better, I'm arguing that it's possibly outweighed in the general case, and is definitely outweighed in many specific cases by the better user experience of Kodi+usenet.

I mean, I was just showing my mom and my wife a Youtube video of the Shield/Android TV experience last night while asking the wife what she thought about getting one for the basement TV, and her exact words were "it looks complicated".

I don't think they'd say that after using it for 5 minutes :) It's as simple an interface as can be. After close to 15 years of dicking around with media center solutions, HTPCs, and the like, my wife - who is of the "I just want poo poo to work and not have to memorize how to use it" camp - likes the Shield/Android TV the best.

I think leanback is here to stay considering the alternative for Kodi - which basically involves browsing the web and using internally hosted web applications like Couchpotato/Sonarr on a PC, then waiting for things to download and occasionally troubleshooting them when they don't - at its best - isn't going to take the world by storm :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If Netflix and Kodi were hooked into the Shield's voice search, it'd be the most perfect box ever.

Kodi + Usenet will always be better than trying to keep up with shows as they air, and way better than playing the "what streaming service is this show in" game all the time. But everyone uses Netflix, and so pretty much everyone understands a menu full of apps that pull up exclusive content.

I'm pretty confident I could put the Shield remote in an average person's hand and they'd be able to watch stuff without issue. Explaining Kodi would take a bit longer, but it's laid out well enough now that it's not that difficult.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Keito posted:

This happened to me a couple of years back and the hard drive the media was stored on died shortly after.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

I think leanback is here to stay considering the alternative for Kodi - which basically involves browsing the web and using internally hosted web applications like Couchpotato/Sonarr on a PC, then waiting for things to download and occasionally troubleshooting them when they don't - at its best - isn't going to take the world by storm :)

Yeah I agree except I think you're implying an a greater degree of difficulty of keeping it going than it actually takes. I'm not claiming it will ever be anything but a niche thing for people with the technical chops to set it up. What I am claiming is:

1. That if you have the technical chops to set it up it is far and away the best solution when it comes to UI and UX.
2. That the less you care about leanback discovery vs web discovery, the better Kodi+usenet becomes.
3. That we can't make any claims with any sort of useful confidence about which discovery mechanism would be most useful to most people most of the time.
4. That the best solution for someone who wants to make the initial time investment would be Kodi+usenet+some sort of recommendation engine built in.

With regards to #4, Kodi is actually getting there. With the Titan skin, I have Trending TV and Trending Movie widgets on my home screen that pull from Trakt.TV. Obviously not the same thing as a customized recommendation thing, but its a step in the right direction. Couchpotato also has this, though I haven't really tried most of it:

I keep thinking about writing an addon that does something similar but automatically adds the movie/show to couchpotato/sonarr. I never get around to doing it because when we're reading the internet, we automatically just add movies and shows to the corresponding downloader that sound interesting, so by the time something shows up as trending, it's already sitting there ready to be watched. Couchpotato also has the ability to just automatically download

Oh, that reminds me of another discovery thing Kodi does. I use a couple of trailers addons and when we watch a trailer we're interested in, they have an option to add to Couchpotato, so, when it's out, the movie is automatically available for us to watch and we get a notification about it.