Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Iglocska posted:

Unless they'll reduce the price to $400 when the Vive launches and milk the early adopters.

BTW, great idea to bundle an xbox 360 controller with the Rift, I am sure no one owns one of those rare artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

peter gabriel posted:

They've basically just given Valve the green light to launch at $400 and destroy them, loving idiots

Oh I am sure that every major VR company had a meeting scheduled today to talk about the OR price, and the expected price of their unit. While giving kickstarter's a free unit will go a long way to get the word out, it also helps all the other companies as well. OR did a lot of the VR pr for the industry in general. But expecting that the average gamer is going to spend $600 on a "monitor" that can only be used for a few games is just absurd.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

It's going to run me 600 dollars just to upgrade my computer to run the 600 dollar oculus.

at least itll only cost you 600 dollars as opposed to this guy

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LCL-Dead posted:

Just finished reading beer's letter drop.

Amazing. Just loving amazing.

Yes. It's a goddamn gaming treasure.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

at least itll only cost you 600 dollars as opposed to this guy

At least they have the common courtesy to limit it to 1 / customer!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

spacetoaster posted:

Oculus Rift pre-orders are up. 600$ + 60$ for shipping.

Also, hope you have a beastly PC.
strangled in the crib, way to go facebook

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Iglocska posted:

Unless they'll reduce the price to $400 when the Vive launches and milk the early adopters.

BTW, great idea to bundle an xbox 360 controller with the Rift, I am sure no one owns one of those rare artifacts.

It's an Xbox One Pad :negative: - still, yeah ha ha

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

It's an XBONE CONTROLLER!!!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:five:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

1500 posted:

Oh I am sure that every major VR company had a meeting scheduled today to talk about the OR price, and the expected price of their unit. While giving kickstarter's a free unit will go a long way to get the word out, it also helps all the other companies as well. OR did a lot of the VR pr for the industry in general. But expecting that the average gamer is going to spend $600 on a "monitor" that can only be used for a few games is just absurd.

I've had these since DK1 days, so I've had years of owning them now.
Everyone, and I do mean everyone really wants one after trying it, but no one, and I do mean, no one has ever bought one that I know after trying it.
These things need to be hung up in Walmart for $150 for them to become mega popular. They need to be seen as just another peripheral instead of some second coming of Christ.
$600, nope not gonna happen.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Furious Mittens posted:

Keep up the good work, Goonsirs. One day, when they find the internet buried in a desert, this thread will be the Dead Sea Scrolls of its time.

^this

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Since that hag is still on a witch hunt, someone admitting - on the record - that they have a $20K coffee machine is probably grounds for being fired.
For now.

By CitizenCon 2019, what was formerly a firing offense will suddenly be declared common knowledge amongst all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Can they really have lured 150,000 idiots to get an account in like the last month?

No. We stopped trusting that counter a long time ago. Plus that's not unique backer numbers anyway.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Does lowtax know that allowing some of these gifs to be posted on his website could be considered aiding and abetting corporate espionage?

Yes. We have a secret legal defense fund for that. No biggie.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's an XBONE CONTROLLER!!!

Oh poo poo, epic value confirmed, GOGO, BUY IT!

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Wafflz posted:

lol 600 bucks and you need a monster pc. I hope zuckerberg didn't care much for that money he spent cause that poo poo is already dead.

Zuckerberg and Facebook are looking for any avenue they can to keep the show running. Facebook has peaked and is in decline as its not really developing a younger userbase, since it's viewed by kids and teens as something their parents use. So they're buying up tons of social media that has no income stream in order to stay relevant and hope that advertising pulls them through. Oculus was probably one of their more sensible purchases.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Natron posted:

Goddamn, those e-mails are amazing.

"I'm doing the jobs of six different people, I work ALL the time and never get time off. Welp, better start going through some inconsequential CS bullshit e-mails that could be handled by our most junior staff and ensure that the guy who's complaining understands how hard I work."

Seriously, the content of the e-mails is one thing, but the fact that she even took the time out of her (apparently incredibly busy) day is loving mind blowing. No offence to you Beer, but an executive at a $100M+ company shouldn't even be bothering with that kind of poo poo, let alone writing embarrassing screeds on company time. Even if all that writing went into a press release that was being disseminated to every backer, she shouldn't be spending that kind of time. You hire peons to do this poo poo, and you MAYBE look over it before it goes out if you have the time.

If there was any doubt about whether or not this project was being managed well, those e-mails are concrete evidence that it's not.

I think she was just jealous that Chris got all the attention for his missive rant.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Yes. We have a secret legal defense fund for that. No biggie.

It's OK, people can know.
It's me, I am Legal

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

^^^ That's what I would do.

Yeah, I'll try to do that tonight. I assume just her e-mails, or did you want mine as well?

Dude, you equipped yourself like a pro in the exchanges. Why not do both in a Paste Bin and paste a link?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

peter gabriel posted:

Everyone, and I do mean everyone really wants one after trying it, but no one, and I do mean, no one has ever bought one that I know after trying it.
These things need to be hung up in Walmart for $150 for them to become mega popular. They need to be seen as just another peripheral instead of some second coming of Christ.

I got to use one for a couple of days, and it is amazing (played Elite with it). But the screen door effect stopped me from purchasing one. Its not just the $600 price, the average gamer does not have a PC that will be able to run it, at a price of $300 some people would have upgraded their PC to use it. But at $600 that is not going to happen.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

Do these things work if you have bad vision? For some reason a lot of 3D stuff doesn't work right for me, so I'm pretty skeptical. Either way I'd probably wait a year or two for them to work the kinks out and get some software support even at a cheaper price point.

1500 posted:

I got to use one for a couple of days, and it is amazing (played Elite with it). But the screen door effect stopped me from purchasing one. Its not just the $600 price, the average gamer does not have a PC that will be able to run it, at a price of $300 some people would have upgraded their PC to use it. But at $600 that is not going to happen.

What is the 'screen door' effect?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

1500 posted:

Does anyone know if the screen door effect was diminished in the later models? I know that was one of their goals.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

http://hometheaterreview.com/screen-door-effect/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Screen door on the DK2 is better but not totally gone.

One thing I'm really worried about is that they're asking peopel for $600 and there are no specs on the page, or anywhere. Just.. buy it and find out. Uh.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Oh poo poo, epic value confirmed, GOGO, BUY IT!

I use a PS4 controller for my PC, with the touchpad mapped to mouse

it's pretty good

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Something that ruins submarines.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

:stare:

What are the people behind Vive charging?

Pretty sure HTC said to expect it to be more than the Rift, but that might not be the case now.

HTC could pull a Sony at E3 '95 and just the say the price and drop mic.

I was interested in the Rift but as it's going to be nearly as much as one of those Asus IPS G-Sync monitors and it'll require an upgrade they can get to gently caress.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:lol: laying out concrete plans for game mechanics is spoilers now. Thank god jpegs aren't spoilers though or CIG would be in real trouble.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

poo poo, I was totally ready to preorder a Rift today, but now I'm definitely going to wait for Vive. Good job Facebook, you just pulled a Roberts.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Screen door on the DK2 is better but not totally gone.

One thing I'm really worried about is that they're asking peopel for $600 and there are no specs on the page, or anywhere. Just.. buy it and find out. Uh.

There's a spec page and a compatibility checker on the site. Gave me a negative for my USB 3.0 ports though. Lol

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Get up close to any LCD screen that's not intended for your eyes to be that close and you'll see it. Early Rifts suffered from it because its screens weren't high enough resolution. Supposedly it's not a big deal with the current version.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm still convinced the only reason she took the time to do that is because she thinks you're the key to convincing all of us to love Star Citizen. Well, and because she's insanely narcissistic and wants everyone to like her. But mostly that first part.

I was actually on two phone calls yesterday in which we were discussing that very premise. However, if that was the case, she could have easily overturned the forum ban and somehow declared it a win if Beer (who was so polite in his exchange, I simply couldn't stop laughing. Because, seriously, all I kept thinking was him just playing her like a goddamn fiddle) thanked her, said some shockingly nice things in his closing email.

So no, I don't think that's it because she had to know that refusing to reverse the ban wouldn't achieve that goal.

Right off the bat, she knew who Beer was when she became aware that it was him in the exchange. So I simply have no clue what her motivation was. Notice how did disappeared (6 days) after she had finished with her diatribe. Her equivalent of a [rude] mic drop.

So this exchange was quite possibly a way for her to vent; and in a manner that she couldn't do before. Naturally, not being a very smart person, it backfired. Spectacularly. And we get all the LOLs.

I am hearing (this morning) that yesterday wasn't a good day in the office once she got wind (someone supposedly told her about my tweet) that Beer had made the exchange public.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TTerrible posted:

The specs are much too high for anyone but hardcore gamers to play it.

I consider myself a gamer, and I have a custom built gaming PC and the oculus "will it run on your computer program" was like: "nope, you scrub".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

1500 posted:

Well, it will use the same resolution screen as my Gear VR and the screen door effect is still there, but much more easily ignored.
Nerds are going to justify the $600 price tag but lets not forget nerds are buying jpegs as well, so gently caress nerds.
VR needs to be out of nerdsville and into the realms of normal people to be a success and this just pisses on that bonfire massively

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
What the hell is up with these fanatics; it's not like they have 72 virgins waiting for them.

... The limit is 16.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Iglocska posted:

Much worse, it's a bone controller. Even if they could only knock off $20 without the controller it'd be nice at that price point.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Berious posted:

:lol: laying out concrete plans for game mechanics is spoilers now. Thank god jpegs aren't spoilers though or CIG would be in real trouble.

That's some remarkable logic.

Moogle posted:

What the hell is up with these fanatics; it's not like they have 72 virgins waiting for them.

... The limit is 16.

What're you talking about? There're thousands of virgins waiting for everyone who joins the cult. Sex won't be involved, but they'll be very happy to see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Berious posted:

Much worse, it's a bone controller. Even if they could only knock off $20 without the controller it'd be nice at that price point.

Yeah I get a controller that I actually decided against buying for myself, ha ha

• Locked thread