Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
...isn't that kinda what DoomRL is? Maybe I'm revealing that I didn't get very far into smash tv as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

...isn't that kinda what DoomRL is? Maybe I'm revealing that I didn't get very far into smash tv as a kid.

I would say that Nuclear Throne is probably closest to a Smash TV roguelike, but post-apocalyptic instead of dystopian gameshow.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jedit posted:

1) What are Radiant Starshards for?

2) Why can crafted legendaries not be stored in the Wargear Vault?

3) What's the incentive for a Ranger to use Medium Armour instead of Real Armour?

4) What's the incentive to play any class other than the titular class? Despite being advanced, it's better than any of the others because it has no wasted skill points and is guaranteed to be able to make use of the best item you get from an artifact.
1) That can be discovered through gameplay, but also through poking around the Dungeonmans thread here. Not trying to evade, just giving you the opportunity to remain unspoiled.

2) I made that choice and I'm not so sure it's the right one. To me Wargear feels like stuff you find, or that's extra magical. Crafted items are always available to have if you have the resources. Maybe I'm wrong though.

3) If you prize mobility, use Medium Armor. If you prefer to go toe to toe with crowds, use Real Armor. If your Rangermans is all about archery skills with a dash of Tricksonometry, you're likely better served by Medium Armor to stay mobile, but I really don't think there's a wrong choice to be made.

4) There isn't! And I wanted that to be the case so that when a player finally felt comfortable with the game's systems, I would step out of their way and give them a blank slate with every option available. The named classes are really good for people who are new to Roguelikes and don't yet grasp the glory of the wild builds you can make in this type of game. The Dungeonmans class is listed under Professionals Only for that reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

madjackmcmad posted:

2) I made that choice and I'm not so sure it's the right one. To me Wargear feels like stuff you find, or that's extra magical. Crafted items are always available to have if you have the resources. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I think you may be, but it's hard to say. By the time I've got the basic item to make the legendary I don't need it. On the other hand, I only have three blueprints so far so there may be ones that are always good.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jedit posted:

I think you may be, but it's hard to say. By the time I've got the basic item to make the legendary I don't need it. On the other hand, I only have three blueprints so far so there may be ones that are always good.
I missed on crafting. I mean I missed on a few things, but I feel like I could have done a lot better here.

You do get loot that has a weird name and egos/enchants that don't drop anywhere else. That's great! But the requirements to craft the loot are usually too expensive. I did that because I didn't want to make the early game feel too trivial. What I could have done was make crafted gear have additional affixes of [ +10% XP gain until Level 5 ] or something, so that if a player wants to spend resources to hurry along once they've got a deep academy rolling, they can.

EDIT: Why is Flamebreak so cooooooooooooooooooooooool :black101: aargh I'm almost almost almost going to stay home and play this

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 6, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bought sproggiwood finally

it owns

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I bought Dungeonmans for a friend and she loves it, but her Psychomanser picked up a creepy book merchant and was thereafter unable to move or throw him. She saved and quit and tried loading again, and now the game crashes instantly whenever she loads that file. Is there a way to salvage this? There doesn't seem to be an option to retire or kill her Psychomanser without deleting the entire Academy file :(

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There was this that hopefully one day makes a refined comeback, I think I recall seeing some entertaining videos on it way on back:

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3097.0.html

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

I bought Dungeonmans for a friend and she loves it, but her Psychomanser picked up a creepy book merchant and was thereafter unable to move or throw him. She saved and quit and tried loading again, and now the game crashes instantly whenever she loads that file. Is there a way to salvage this? There doesn't seem to be an option to retire or kill her Psychomanser without deleting the entire Academy file :(

Ooh, wow lemme check that one out.

Edit: New Steam build is out, should be able to load the game correctly now. Bookstore guy might have vanished into thin air...

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 6, 2016

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah after playing it for a few days there are a number of bugs I've come across as well.

-If you maximize the playing window then minimize the game and try to restore it, it crashes pretty much every time for me.
-The necromancer poison skill is broken and OP as hell, you can spawn infinite minions with no mana cost and without it taking an action turn in combat.
-The worldgen layered multiple things on top of each other.
-One of the dungeons had a room that could not be escaped because after entering the door disappeared.
-One of the dungeon doors was replaced with the icon for an alchemy pickup.

A couple other things that I've forgotten at the moment as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There was this that hopefully one day makes a refined comeback, I think I recall seeing some entertaining videos on it way on back:

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3097.0.html

there's a goonmade mod for doom called reelism which is basically straight-up smash tv and has a bunch of assets from other old fps games. it's good.

http://www.thekinsie.com/reelism/

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Haque dev updated with his thoughts on dungeon generation

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507109559/haque/posts/1460022

quote:

Right now, the main path is highlighted by, well, a path. This is to ensure that diverting from the path to explore is a conscious choice and to remove some of the frustration of not knowing where to go.

Sacrilege!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fog of war is an illusionary choice for the player :ssh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that font is awful

nice trees though

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I like it. Tons of games have been doing this for ages by giving the player a compass leading to their next destination, waypoint, or whatever. Hell, Knytt (not Knytt Stories, but the game that came before it) is a gigantic game in which literally the only thing to do is explore and find a bunch of tokens, and it's perfectly happy to give you a pointer towards the next token.

I'm all for games you can get lost in, but maybe we should accept that that's not what everyone wants out of a dungeon crawler?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

If your game has interesting levels there is no "main path"; multiple entrances and exits are an absolute minimum for me to not hate you and all you stand for.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
linesprint in crawl is pretty cool and it is just a main path

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm all for games you can get lost in, but maybe we should accept that that's not what everyone wants out of a dungeon crawler?
9001% agree-- "Sacrilege!" is hardly ever said without tongue in cheek, right?

I maintain that one of the best parts of Roguelikes in general is that you can layer so many ideas from other genres into them and see what sprouts. JRPG style main-path map lines will certainly change up how things feel as well as change up target audience.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

I maintain that one of the best parts of Roguelikes in general is that you can layer so many ideas from other genres into them and see what sprouts. JRPG style main-path map lines will certainly change up how things feel as well as change up target audience.

If this was Qud that path would lead you into a minefield

:black101:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Oh, absolutely. I only quoted you to make it clear I was responding to your post, not because I thought you were actually against the concept.

Man, imagine how different Rogue Legacy would be if you knew where the boss rooms were ahead of time. It'd be a lot shorter, for one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Awesome! posted:

that font is awful

nice trees though

Looks like the dev is going for the classic ZX Spectrum look.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, imagine how different Rogue Legacy would be if you knew where the boss rooms were ahead of time. It'd be a lot shorter, for one.
That is a feature.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
downwell is pretty cool

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

downwell is a roguelike :can:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

roguelikes are pretty cool

Yep, everything checks out.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Towerclimb is absolutely the best example of "just one more game" that I've played in a while. It plays quick (since I keep on dying) and then it just immediately starts you over from the beginning with no menus at all. This leads to be playing 45 minutes longer than I was planning every time.

Made it up to about 2300m so far. One of these days I'll quit accidentally running in to dogs.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Distinguished persons of perhaps abundant down time that spent a perhaps unhealthy amount of it downloading various mysterious projects all archived up that at least sounded vaguely nifty for DOS and early Windows---do you remember Caverns of Xaskazien?

http://www.codedread.com/games.php#COX

Well, 2016 continues upon the craze of last year in terms of the slow smoked and long simmered billowing out at last unto madness....

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4841.0

It is an initial Alpha aiming to go the distance in full from here with ample feedback sought and a bit....bigger...than the first. Somehow, I doubt the initial dropbox link will last given it was getting hammered hard enough to the point of needing several restarts~

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Distinguished persons of perhaps abundant down time that spent a perhaps unhealthy amount of it downloading various mysterious projects all archived up that at least sounded vaguely nifty for DOS and early Windows---do you remember Caverns of Xaskazien?

http://www.codedread.com/games.php#COX

Well, 2016 continues upon the craze of last year in terms of the slow smoked and long simmered billowing out at last unto madness....

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4841.0

It is an initial Alpha aiming to go the distance in full from here with ample feedback sought and a bit....bigger...than the first. Somehow, I doubt the initial dropbox link will last given it was getting hammered hard enough to the point of needing several restarts~

The game let me be a Dog Man so +1 for that.

Everyone ITT needs to download and play the game because it is such a roguelike-in-development, with the great and terrible both that you expect. Brimming with potential, I think I can say that.

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 7, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
That's an exceptionally low dung level for a Dog Man, congratulations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Found on 100', sometimes the game just wants you to win I guess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
panic makes you faster but unable to attack, right? do you also have to move away from monsters? i've only seen a fear effect in Sil once so I'm not sure if that's the ultimate pacifist run item or just garbage, but your post makes it sound like the former

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We need a rougelike master mod that each death places you in a different roguelike, I dub thee Quantum Sliders von Groundhog.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

panic makes you faster but unable to attack, right? do you also have to move away from monsters? i've only seen a fear effect in Sil once so I'm not sure if that's the ultimate pacifist run item or just garbage, but your post makes it sound like the former

Panic makes it so you can't attack enemies while Exchange Places is a fantastic escape mechanism. I'm just gonna wear the armour since I'm an archer running away while panicked isn't a big deal and it's a really rare trigger from when I last found this thing. End of 100' floor as an archer smith:

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So here's a question -- is there a list of web-based roguelikes (like webtiles for Stone Soup)?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Shinino Kage posted:

So here's a question -- is there a list of web-based roguelikes (like webtiles for Stone Soup)?

They're not all tile-based but there are plenty of web roguelike servers. Many/most(?) use ssh rather than a browser-based thing.

Of the top of my head:

• nethack.alt.org has... nethack. It's one of the most popular ways to play, I think.

• Roguenex.us has quite a few games: Cataclysm DDA, Adom, Angband, Brogue, Poschengband, Slimy Lichmummy, and Sil.

• ToxicFrog from this thread has a DoomRL server complete with closed-caption support.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
desktop dungeons lets you play from a web based option.

http://www.desktopdungeons.net/play-desktop-dungeons-beta/

also it's on android what the hell how did I not know that

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jordan7hm posted:

desktop dungeons lets you play from a web based option.

http://www.desktopdungeons.net/play-desktop-dungeons-beta/

also it's on android what the hell how did I not know that

ios too.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
...our FPS system-shock-inspired roguelike prototype keeps sprouting. Textures from the goondev of Dropsy fame.

...working on texel based shading:

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I just got Sproggiwood. As a somewhat experienced roguelike player, should I jump straight into Savage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Unormal posted:

...our FPS system-shock-inspired roguelike prototype keeps sprouting. Textures from the goondev of Dropsy fame.

Are you making Space Station 13 or something?