Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Win10 calc has been problematic since launch for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In win 8.1 when coming back from suspend, you could open the time/picture screen to enter your password by just pushing <enter> or the up arrow. Has that been disabled for Win 10? I can't figure out an easy one key keystroke to do that anymore.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Spacebar?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm getting a new SSD next week, but I'm still not sure if I should simply clone my present Win 7 install, or go with a new one. Win 10 looks a bit like a POS to me, is Win 8.1 good? There are cheap keys to buy on Ebay, so maybe go with that, dunno.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mike12345 posted:

I'm getting a new SSD next week, but I'm still not sure if I should simply clone my present Win 7 install, or go with a new one. Win 10 looks a bit like a POS to me, is Win 8.1 good? There are cheap keys to buy on Ebay, so maybe go with that, dunno.

Well, Windows 10 is a free upgrade to 7, but you'd have to buy 8. That seems like a weird thing to do at this time.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

HalloKitty posted:

Well, Windows 10 is a free upgrade to 7, but you'd have to buy 8. That seems like a weird thing to do at this time.

Sure it's free if you see no value in the user-data software-as-service accumulates.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Sure it's free if you see no value in the user-data software-as-service accumulates.

To be fair, if you left automatic updates on Windows 7, you'll have already received a telemetry update that gathers information, and the same is in 8.

There's a fair bit of documentation around on the data collection in 10, and some software and guides that can easily help you disable some of it.

If you asked me personally though, I'd say stay on 7, because I did. After all, it's supported until 2020; so it's not like you have to decide yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Win10 calc has been problematic since launch for me.

The first application you learn to code is a calculator app. Microsoft is pushing out updates for theirs. Insane.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Calc is currently version 10.1512.54020.0
That's certainly something.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mike12345 posted:

Windows 8.1 is inferior to Windows 10 in everything that isn't done better by Windows 7.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hadlock posted:

In win 8.1 when coming back from suspend, you could open the time/picture screen to enter your password by just pushing <enter> or the up arrow. Has that been disabled for Win 10? I can't figure out an easy one key keystroke to do that anymore.

There was some discussion of this like a week ago in the thread. Sometimes you can hit a key and it works, sometimes you have to click the mouse. It acts like the lock screen doesn't have focus sometimes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mike12345 posted:

There is absolutely no reason to get 8.1 if you hate 10. 8 and 8.1 are worse in every conceivable way unless you reallllllly love the "metro/modern/whatever" ui design.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

8.1 is the better tablet OS, but nobody cares. But also fast boot, improved file copy, improved task manager and a couple more under the hood improvements over 7.

All without the force drivers down your throat behavior of 10.

If you have it, it's a perfectly fine OS you could get along with. Bit silly to buy 8.1 at this point in time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hadlock posted:

Enter works on mine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
No keys work to dismiss that initial login screen on mine, I have to click the mouse which brings up the prompt. This started 2-3 weeks ago, before that it was fine. No changes on my end, must've been Windows Update again.

Also my sleep settings reverted again somehow. The day to day use of Windows 10 is fine with me. I basically just use the system for video games and sometimes web browsing. I don't use the Start Menu, Bing, Cortana, the store or modern apps in general so any changes there are largely above my head. The new calculator is stupid but whatever, one would hope that's an easy fix.

What does annoy me is things reinstalling themselves, settings being toggled without my permission and the new update policy. I disabled the telemetry crap with a third party app and a firewall rule because without knowing what specifically they're collecting (in detail) I'm just not comfortable with the practice.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Gunslinger posted:

No keys work to dismiss that initial login screen on mine, I have to click the mouse which brings up the prompt. This started 2-3 weeks ago, before that it was fine. No changes on my end, must've been Windows Update again.

Same for me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Well the cost of Windows 8.1 wouldn't really be high, seeing as you can get keys for ten bucks. But eh I'll just stay on Windows 7 then.

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no reason to get 8.1 if you hate 10. 8 and 8.1 are worse in every conceivable way unless you reallllllly love the "metro/modern/whatever" ui design.

Yeah actually I prefer the transparent Aero look to the flat look in Win 10.

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, if you left automatic updates on Windows 7, you'll have already received a telemetry update that gathers information, and the same is in 8.

Oh ok I assumed the telemetry features in 10 are more aggressive.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I seem to have installed the plex app from the windows store a while a go though I don't remember doing it. But that is the only interaction I have had with the store and I've not idea what account I used to do it.

Is there any way of finding out what address I used to download the app, whether I set up a new account or used an old hotmail/live account that I dont use anymore?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

taqueso posted:

There was some discussion of this like a week ago in the thread. Sometimes you can hit a key and it works, sometimes you have to click the mouse. It acts like the lock screen doesn't have focus sometimes.

This happens on a laptop I've just formatted and installed Windows 10 on. If I've closed the lid and reopened after it's suspended, I have to click the screen as it won't respond to any keyboard input. Most annoying.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does Win 10 also have issue with not waking up from sleep by mouse/keyboard input? Or is it my new laptop's fault instead?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SinineSiil posted:

Does Win 10 also have issue with not waking up from sleep by mouse/keyboard input? Or is it my new laptop's fault instead?

I've more often seen the opposite, waking up in the middle of the night with no input.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

I had some of that previously on my tablet, but haven't had that happen since the 1511 update. Now I "only" get the breakage with it waking up but never displaying the unlock screen, requiring me to Ctrl-Alt-Del, to get away from a black screen.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Zero VGS posted:

I've more often seen the opposite, waking up in the middle of the night with no input.
Same. Since 8.0.

In app regression chat, I realize Edge is a new browser but since it's supposed to replace IE, I expected a bit more testing than the bugs I saw after 10's release. Various bugs with no rhyme or reason like unresponsive tabs, windows, etc. Just amateur hour.

It's gotten better since but overall, I question Microsoft's QA. Nobody could have been using that as a daily driver without rebooting Windows 10 every day or two.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Odd, on my tablet I only have edge to websurf with and I never really had it lock up on me once. perhaps I am just lucky

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

endlessmonotony posted:

Windows 8.1 is inferior to Windows 10 in everything that isn't done better by Windows 7.

Reading a lot of this thread makes a guy that hasn't jumped ship yet wonder though. Although I suppose a thread is going to be mostly the problem aspect as opposed to the no problem aspect.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I maintain that Windows 10 is just as good a tablet OS as 8.1, Edge is much better than IE Metro and if you have trouble hitting any of the UI buttons on your tablet in Edge then you are literally Shrek.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I maintain that Windows 10 is just as good a tablet OS as 8.1, Edge is much better than IE Metro and if you have trouble hitting any of the UI buttons on your tablet in Edge then you are literally Shrek.

I also mostly prefer Edge to IE Metro, but I really miss swiping to go forward and back.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Considering my early annoyance with 8.1 on my laptop, it's ironic that using it on a tablet taught me to love the charms bar, of all things. I'll be sad to see it go when I upgrade.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Oh ok I assumed the telemetry features in 10 are more aggressive.

Oh yeah, I believe they are, no doubt; but I'm just pointing out that Microsoft has already started pushing that poo poo to some extent on people anyway.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

SinineSiil posted:

Yes. Both my desktop and laptop suffers from this - on the desktop I've narrowed it down to USB-ports not getting power while the computer sleeps for some unfathomable reason (turned everything related to "on" when it comes to power + installed all relevant drivers, yet only 2 USB ports seems to power and one of them seems dead ... ?). The laptop was a simple fix; just install the synaptics drivers from the vendor and I was pretty much good to go.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Agreed, unless you have a tablet but absolutely will not stand for automatic updates I can't think of a single other reason to choose 8.x over 10. 10's UI is pretty much everything 8 is for touch devices while not being a nuisance for non-touch users.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hmm when you're holding it in two hands it was way more convenient to just use your thumbs.

Also the close app button in multi view is tiny.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does anyone know whether Windows 10 (non-Pro) supports UNC paths for File History (ie. using SMB network shares as a backup location)? I only have Pro on every machine I own, so I can't test it before I do an upgrade on my mothers laptop.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Welp I had to :pt: because the start menu would not work any more tried all the on line tips then tried to create a new account but just got that spinning thing on add user that went on for an hour.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can use https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 to turn off various telemetry features and functions from a single point.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lowtechs posted:

Welp I had to :pt: because the start menu would not work any more tried all the on line tips then tried to create a new account but just got that spinning thing on add user that went on for an hour.

Are you using a 3rd party AV? I don't know the exact mechanism, but something about how a lot of them load up and hook in seems to break the start menu. There's pages of threads of people removing their AV and the start menu starts working again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Riso posted:

You can use https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 to turn off various telemetry features and functions from a single point.

Holy smokes, you can use that to pick whether you want the forced driver updates and stuff? :monocle:

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Are you using a 3rd party AV? I don't know the exact mechanism, but something about how a lot of them load up and hook in seems to break the start menu. There's pages of threads of people removing their AV and the start menu starts working again.

Nope no 3rd party AV. I use Windows Defender. I have been using 10 since August and Thursday morning I opened a pic using the Photo app (was of a naked lady BTW) and it just stopped working. Also the Action Center wouldn't work neither.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

slidebite posted:

Holy smokes, you can use that to pick whether you want the forced driver updates and stuff? :monocle:

Don't ask me if that works on Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lowtechs posted:

All you had to do was right-click on the start menu, go to Control Panel, and go to a previous restore point.