Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Decrepus posted:

I like how the Star Citizen forum has no problem with having no idea
Having an idea would prevent them from dreaming and making poo poo up. The less concrete the promises the better.

CIG should rewrite package names to show the things they buy the studio: an hour of coder time, an hour of artist time, an hour of stripper time, an overpriced chair, Sandi's vacation, a coffee maker...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

In every acting video I've seen of Sandi, she's a wooden 2-dimensional robot. There is no kind of emotion in her voice or face.

In the snippet of her firing someone, she looks animated. Her face is alive, and her voice is non-mono-tonal.

This leads me to believe that the video did in fact catch her genuinely firing someone.

Maybe after all those porches and Monaco visits, she could finally afford an acting school after the last couple of sales.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

The devaluation is trivially solved by not having an economy to begin with: no matter how many times the big fish transport 1M units of NERPS™, your 250 units will sell at the same price, and will buy the next ship upgrade as easily as those who came before you. No faucets and no sinks = no problems.

Remember, it's not just the currency that is the problem — it's the goods themselves, which will now be utterly worthless for everyone, which will only affect those who have no other goods to use. Anyone who knows of EVE's history will recognise this (but of course, learning from EVE is heretical in SC). Of course, anyone with even the slightest bit of economic sense will identify this fairly quickly, or will run across the EVE example in their research, which rather suggests that (at least) one of two things are true: 1) CIG is not employing an economist to design their economy; 2) CIG is not actually designing an economy.

It's not just the value of those goods (as in there being a real depletion of materials, etc), but the fact that we still haven't heard anything about what those goods will be used for within the game. Will there be a crafting game mechanic? Will players / organisations be able to own factories and processing plants? We have no idea.

Man, each time I think about this I feel a bit sad about how far X3 was ahead of the pack.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

The devaluation is trivially solved by not having an economy to begin with: no matter how many times the big fish transport 1M units of NERPS™, your 250 units will sell at the same price, and will buy the next ship upgrade as easily as those who came before you. No faucets and no sinks = no problems.

Remember, it's not just the currency that is the problem — it's the goods themselves, which will now be utterly worthless for everyone, which will only affect those who have no other goods to use. Anyone who knows of EVE's history will recognise this (but of course, learning from EVE is heretical in SC). Of course, anyone with even the slightest bit of economic sense will identify this fairly quickly, or will run across the EVE example in their research, which rather suggests that (at least) one of two things are true: 1) CIG is not employing an economist to design their economy; 2) CIG is not actually designing an economy.

First and foremost they are all things to all people. The spreadsheet fans get told they can effect a real economy, but don't worry theme park fans because 90% will be NPC controlled. Everything is a hand wave that allows everyone to project their idea of the perfect game onto this project. The idea Chris' mumblings will amount to anything well designed is complete fantasy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy again recently and it's really sad to find out that Gary Oldman and Mark Strong went from that to... this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Iglocska posted:

It's not just the value of those goods (as in there being a real depletion of materials, etc), but the fact that we still haven't heard anything about what those goods will be used for within the game. Will there be a crafting game mechanic? Will players / organisations be able to own factories and processing plants? We have no idea.

Man, each time I think about this I feel a bit sad about how far X3 was ahead of the pack.

The closest thing I have seen isn't even manufacturing, but rather the whole ship repair “vision” they presented, where you'd mix and match different materials to try to maximise the strength of armour (or some such). It's presented as if it will be this dynamic and delicate process — never mind that, should it ever happen, it will be deconstructed and turned formulaic in a matter of seconds.

Berious posted:

First and foremost they are all things to all people. The spreadsheet fans get told they can effect a real economy, but don't worry theme park fans because 90% will be NPC controlled. Everything is a hand wave that allows everyone to project their idea of the perfect game onto this project. The idea Chris' mumblings will amount to anything well designed is complete fantasy.

The funny thing is that, for all intents and purposes, Elite manages to do pretty much that: you can play in your little bubble, never even being aware of other players, and yet have an effect on the economy. I still get the impression that the bubble players want market dynamics — they just don't want to see other players' hands in it. Granted, it still doesn't solve the materials and currency devaluations and the screwed-up progression created by the huge discrepancies in earning capacity that the SC ships would produce… but again, anticipating this and learning from other games — especially the likes of EVE and Elite — is just out of the question.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

That Works posted:

I just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy again recently and it's really sad to find out that Gary Oldman and Mark Strong went from that to... this.

They really need to do the next book soon to wash the taint off. Then again, I don't think Prideaux returns in the other two so Strong is still out in the cold.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I read players will only be able to affect the prices of things by 20%. So there is no worry about devalue... or value. Or interesting things in the economy since it will be all fixed. Everything will either be full positive value capped or full negative value capped always. Will there even be scarcity?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Oh stop complaining and enjoy your super strong and agile medium fighter / pirate boat / dropship!

You know the last person I know that made fun of the Cutlass is...... That's him in a wheelchair!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tippis posted:

The closest thing I have seen isn't even manufacturing, but rather the whole ship repair “vision” they presented, where you'd mix and match different materials to try to maximise the strength of armour (or some such). It's presented as if it will be this dynamic and delicate process — never mind that, should it ever happen, it will be deconstructed and turned formulaic in a matter of seconds.

The funny thing is that, for all intents and purposes, Elite manages to do pretty much that: you can play in your little bubble, never even being aware of other players, and yet have an effect on the economy. I still get the impression that the bubble players want market dynamics — they just don't want to see other players' hands in it. Granted, it still doesn't solve the materials and currency devaluations and the screwed-up progression created by the huge discrepancies in earning capacity that the SC ships would produce… but again, anticipating this and learning from other games — especially the likes of EVE and Elite — is just out of the question.

So you're saying this game is Groverhaus

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tippis posted:

They really need to do the next book soon to wash the taint off. Then again, I don't think Prideaux returns in the other two so Strong is still out in the cold.

Yeah I think he's done after that one? Shame. At least Oldman is dead on for George Smiley. Really enjoyed him there.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sillybones posted:

I read players will only be able to affect the prices of things by 20%. So there is no worry about devalue... or value. Or interesting things in the economy since it will be all fixed. Everything will either be full positive value capped or full negative value capped always. Will there even be scarcity?

If I was you I would probably ignore everything CIG has ever said about the economy on account of them being filthy loving liars with no design documentation.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Azmodan and Ben have some similarities

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:five:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
After I've explained to this guy on youtube another youtuber appears and gives me a piece of his mind :

+BrazilianPeanutWar Hey Derek, don't you think that maybe the car/house they bought are paid for by their own money? I mean Chris Roberts had lots of money even before he came up with SC. They all get paid and can do with their money what they want be it buy a new mansion at the beach or a brand new lambo. Only because you're a successful dev doesn't mean you can't live a good life like everyone else outside of the job.

+TheKingOfMonkeys Nah dude, I doubt that BrazilianPeanutWar is DS :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDenh_6oKQ

Oh great he's a crazy religious nut, noice!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

What can you actually do in the current playable build? I know you can (kinda) get in ships and fly around, and shoot your gun when you're walking around, can you visit other systems/planets? I heard trading and mining isn't in yet.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

Is it the nipple rings?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

After I've explained to this guy on youtube another youtuber appears and gives me a piece of his mind :

+BrazilianPeanutWar Hey Derek, don't you think that maybe the car/house they bought are paid for by their own money? I mean Chris Roberts had lots of money even before he came up with SC. They all get paid and can do with their money what they want be it buy a new mansion at the beach or a brand new lambo. Only because you're a successful dev doesn't mean you can't live a good life like everyone else outside of the job.

+TheKingOfMonkeys Nah dude, I doubt that BrazilianPeanutWar is DS :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDenh_6oKQ

What would he have “lots of money” from? Jettisoned funds from the last two development disasters?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tippis posted:

What would he have “lots of money” from? Jettisoned funds from the last two development disasters?

Bankruptcy is a boom industry these days

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Bundle of Keys posted:

Is it the nipple rings?

Lol

The body structure and mass are the same and could be the attitude too.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Game is not out yet and spergs are already thinking of compromises

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zj8gv/its_said_you_cant_have_a_serious_discussion_here/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

Well what do I know, i'm just derek smart.......

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
How does this whole thing get funnier every day

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Davoren posted:

What can you actually do in the current playable build? I know you can (kinda) get in ships and fly around, and shoot your gun when you're walking around, can you visit other systems/planets? I heard trading and mining isn't in yet.

Trading and mining are not even designed past the point of just putting words to paper and tossing it on their site as a lure.

Currently on the playable build, assuming you don't crash and/or glitch, which you will, you can:

- Walk to a monitor and push a button to spawn a ship
- Walk outside to the ship and enter it
- Take off and "fly" ... somewhere
- I hear there are places you can go to get a FPS gun, but haven't done it myself - to my knowledge at this time there is no need for the gun outside shooting other players for salt
- You can go to a space station, walk inside, and press a button

Have I missed anything?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Officer Sandvich posted:

How does this whole thing get funnier every day

As they say, practice makes perfect.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

EminusSleepus posted:

I'm the vagina dentata.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

You know the last person I know that made fun of the Cutlass is...... That's him in a wheelchair!

I think at this point pretty much everyone makes fun of the Cutlass.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Scruffpuff posted:

Trading and mining are not even designed past the point of just putting words to paper and tossing it on their site as a lure.

Currently on the playable build, assuming you don't crash and/or glitch, which you will, you can:

- Walk to a monitor and push a button to spawn a ship
- Walk outside to the ship and enter it
- Take off and "fly" ... somewhere
- I hear there are places you can go to get a FPS gun, but haven't done it myself - to my knowledge at this time there is no need for the gun outside shooting other players for salt
- You can go to a space station, walk inside, and press a button

Have I missed anything?

Are there planets you can fly to?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

beautiful

Davoren posted:

good one

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

That darn cat!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Davoren posted:

There are planets you can fly towards, does that count?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Iglocska posted:

There are planets you can fly towards, does that count?

Counting down the seconds before you crash is a form of counting, so sure.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Davoren posted:

Nope. Although they did make a video showing that there are, so you might get a different response from someone who has seen the video and concluded that it represents what's in the game. It doesn't.

There are planet textures in the background though. You could fly towards that, which might technically make the answer to your question "yes".

edit: Iglocska beat me to it

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 7, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Davoren posted:

We're pretty much as likely to launch a Mars mission this year as we are to visit one lovely moon in Star Citizen

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also this Photoshop Phriday article is suddenly relevant again

http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/virtual-adventures-oculus/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sandis nickname is pusher right? It should be blinky, or can't acty.

Can't walk across a room convincing-ly

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Holy poo poo I bet she drives the space bulldozer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I don't know, man, "Pusher" seems pretty appropriate, since she's pushing herself into frame at every conceivable opportunity. I have mixed feelings - on the one hand, if she got abducted by aliens tomorrow and whisked off to some galaxy where there is justice, that would be awesome. On the other hand, she gave us material for another 50+ pages of pure :lol:

Think if SQ42 actually comes out - the memes alone from her cringe-worthy appearance will sustain enough humor and animated gifs to take down the cloud.

• Locked thread