Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Roflex posted:

The first time you "get" trains, especially with routing and signaling, is so immensely satisfying. My current base has a single depot for coal, iron, copper, oil (using the oil tanker mod), and stone, with a single line in/out and no deadlocks (although the occasional queue happens). Hooking up a new deposit is as simple as plopping a station blueprint, dropping an intersection on my main line, and connecting the two with rails/power. The personal roboport makes this incredibly easy, as well.

What a wonderful post/avatar combination. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I was about to say the same thing - that was truly a thing of beauty.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I thought I "got" trains once but it turned out to be prodromal schizophrenia. Stay safe, traingoons.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Oh god, they're going to re-write the entire strings library to cut down on compile times. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-115

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bhodi posted:

Don't care about trains, have never cared about trains.

Same here, the time it takes to set everything up properly I can set up 5X the belts I need to carry my poo poo. Did it once to try it out but it's really not worth the trouble except as a train station simulator mini-game in itself.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Oh god, they're going to re-write the entire strings library to cut down on compile times. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-115
A 3 1/2 minute compile time is pretty good not sure why he is complaining about that. It's definitely not worth trying to do what he is talking about. Especially when a few dev posts ago they said they were not going to implement the space thing for a long time because they wanted a "complete" game before then.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's not bad for a game that side, but is that a full compile or incremental? If it's incremental, that's abysmal and I can understand wanting to speed it up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anything over about 30 seconds compile time is a productivity killer in my experience. One of the projects I worked on for a couple of years had a 10-15 minute average compile time. 30 minutes from a fresh checkout. You got used to it, and lots of us started running two sandboxes so we could work on a second problem while the first was compiling. Even so, there's a real temptation to tab out to a news article or something while waiting for the compiler. Sure, 3 minutes isn't bad, but its still long enough to make it easy to get up and wander off or otherwise take a break every time you need to compile.

Re-writting a std library is pretty much never a good idea, but I can certainly understand the desire to reduce long build times at any cost.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

have they considered using construction robots

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

have they considered using construction robots

Meta programming is a bitch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Factorio IRL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The worst thing is that they added sound effects. Those machines don't really make Portal sounds. :doom:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

T-man posted:

The worst thing is that they added sound effects. Those machines don't really make Portal sounds. :doom:

Do you know that for a fact? Like do you work there or something?
Because they did put aperture decals on some of the robots. They may actually have added sound effects.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you know that for a fact? Like do you work there or something?
Because they did put aperture decals on some of the robots. They may actually have added sound effects.

Why would they? To annoy the line workers by forcing them to hear CLUNK CLUNK on a machine that, at most, makes a soft clik noise? It'd make much more sense to add it in post, at the same time they added the music.

Plus, I didn't even see any killer robots fighting space aliens so 3/10.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Portal sucks anyhow

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

T-man posted:

Why would they? To annoy the line workers by forcing them to hear CLUNK CLUNK on a machine that, at most, makes a soft clik noise? It'd make much more sense to add it in post, at the same time they added the music.

Plus, I didn't even see any killer robots fighting space aliens so 3/10.

Killer robots are outside of course. Do you wait to fight aliens until they are inside your walls, or do you use walls to keep them out?

Any news on when next update is coming?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Gibbo posted:

Portal sucks anyhow

fight me

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gibbo posted:

Portal sucks anyhow

Real edgy.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
According to the latest Friday Facts Factorio will be coming to Steam February 25.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Do we have nuclear weapons yet as an endgame resource drain?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 7, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zephyrine posted:

Do we have nuclear weapons yet as an endgame resource drain?

Only nuclear thing we've got right now is portable fusion generator.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ikanreed posted:

Only nuclear thing we've got right now is portable fusion generator.

Aw. I would have played this game for days more. But after I finish the last research project. I lose all motivation to gather resources . Launching rockets is not a motivator.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are mods that add basically infinite null research items that will consume probably millions of research packs if you get through the entire "tree"

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

There are mods that add basically infinite null research items that will consume probably millions of research packs if you get through the entire "tree"

Neat! What do I research then? For example I mean.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
This was my contribution (an edit of someone else's mod):

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=7702&start=20

Basically it just adds 99 levels of pointless tech (the version I edited only had one level), of various science pack flavors. The reward is gazing at your big numbers.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't tried it out, but I noticed this mod while combing through the forums the other day. Shouldn't be hard to edit the files to apply infinite levels to other upgrade types if you feel like it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What are some simple quality of life mods, like longer reach, stuff like that?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Larger inventory, more light, FARL until 0.13 train changes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:yikes:

(that is awesome)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I do keep wondering when we're going to get barges, motoboats, as well as flying and aquatic enemies, so we can finally do some neat island-hoping based scenarios.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
That is actually horrifying.

I'm going to have a nightmare about inserters coming alive and transforming into gigantic robot spiders to eat me while I sleep.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
That's.. wonderful.

Where did it come from?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
From the Factorio blog! Preliminary graphics, but they're working on a new vehicle.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXwutv0yy8

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So other than the spiderbot, I'm trying out the train base mod they mentioned. The limitations on space are strange, but fun to work with.

And yes, you can build a train in your train.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Krysmphoenix posted:

So other than the spiderbot, I'm trying out the train base mod they mentioned. The limitations on space are strange, but fun to work with.

And yes, you can build a train in your train.

Trainception? :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zephyrine posted:

Trainception? :psyduck:

B W W A A A A A A A M M M M P

C H U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
This game is fun until I try to automate green science packs. :negative:

Maybe I need to see what else I can research with just reds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

suuma posted:

This game is fun until I try to automate green science packs. :negative:

Maybe I need to see what else I can research with just reds though.

Oh wait till you see Blue packs.

Is there a quickstart mod that gives you a chest with a few hundred iron/copper plate, or some basic electric poo poo?