Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sen's boss clear. :toot: Once I learned how to adjust the camera to survive the pendulums it was all pretty smooth.

Anor Londo is much, much less rage-inducing than the first half of Sen's. It's killing me a good bit, don't get me wrong, but whenever a silver knight kills me I know it's because I screwed something up.
How were the archers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

he didnt even mention them so must have been fine. my boy greyjoy

unless of course by silver knights he means the sentinels

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It seems like a lot of discussions about what's good are based on PvP, but honestly I don't care about PvP at all. I just want to adventure and fight monsters. And be stylish.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just want to adventure and fight monsters. And be stylish.
do whatever you want then. some weapons/armor may make certain fights easier or harder but you can beat the game with anything

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FactsAreUseless posted:

How were the archers?

I suspect I know which ones you're talking about, on the bridge and ledges, but I just kinda trucked past them (admittedly sometimes with the dash button) until the left dude couldn't draw a bead on me anymore and I could shield up to the right dude. Zero deaths there.

And then I hit the bonfire inside and I will never have to worry about that run again.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I suspect I know which ones you're talking about, on the bridge and ledges, but I just kinda trucked past them (admittedly sometimes with the dash button) until the left dude couldn't draw a bead on me anymore and I could shield up to the right dude. Zero deaths there.

What is this bullshit

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Not sure whether to feel envious or sad for you that you missed a core part of the souls rage experience

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

And then I hit the bonfire inside and I will never have to worry about that run again.
Nice work! Shielding never worked for me, due to the knockback. I always had to roll under it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Not sure whether to feel envious or sad for you that you missed a core part of the souls rage experience
You just roll under the arrows. It takes like three tries tops - once to not know what to do, once to gently caress it up, and then you win.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea i tried shield blocking them once and the knockback got me caught in a loop that ended in death. rolling under one arrow is easy enough though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Not to worry, I nearly ragequit for a while over Sen's and Blighttown falling deaths.

And the Gaping Dragon has been the hardest boss to date (because grab ignores your shield, his normal attacks chew through a ton of endurance, and acid is terrible in all possible ways), although I think I'm pretty much at the Anor Londo boss, so we'll see how that goes tonight / tomorrow.

Really happy to be able to buy twinkling titanite. :3: Immediately plonked a bunch into my trusty Circlestick (Catchpole - I actually got another one to drop in Sen's, heh) and Black Knight Shield. Still wearing moderately upgraded pyro armor and starting to wonder if I'll just be spending the rest of the game upgrading my starter armor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Here's how to beat the Gaping Dragon: move at all.

Basically it can't really tell where you are, let it turn and stand up on its hind legs, then just move to the side and it will charge in that direction. Hit it a bunch of times while it sits there like an idiot, then run off. Repeat.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont really need to upgrade any armor

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

At least, that's consistently been my experience. Maybe I just discovered an AI exploit accidentally or something.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no, thats pretty much it. iirc he was trying to block the charge and just getting run over

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Dragon gives a lot of good souls, it's a great farming area.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

no, thats pretty much it. iirc he was trying to block the charge and just getting run over

Basically, yeah. Well, that and not trying hard enough to stay out of grab radius.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Gaping Dragon just doesn't work like any other Souls bosses. It's basically a Zelda boss where you just kind of let it move around and avoid it until it leaves itself open. It was INCREDIBLY frustrating to me on my first playthrough because I had to unlearn a lot about the game. Ever since then though, GD's been the easiest boss this side of Pinwheel.

Orv
May 4, 2011

It seems like a lot of discussions about what's good are based on PvP, but honestly I don't care about PvP at all. I just want to adventure and fight monsters. And be stylish.

Fashion is the most important aspect of From Software's games.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Orv posted:

Quote for truth, minmaxers be damned

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Orv posted:

If you don't refer to the game as Pretty Pretty Princess Dress-Up in your head, then you've got the wrong attitude about Dark Souls entirely.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
#1 Quality of Life Feature for DS3: customizable armor colors.

Well, that and/or the ability to use the stats of one armor piece and the appearance of another (ala many, many MMOs these days).

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Well, that and/or the ability to use the stats of one armor piece and the appearance of another (ala many, many MMOs these days).

Customizable colors would rule, but I think it's best that they'd keep their appearance for pvp purposes, so you can figure out resistances, dodge roll speed, etc of your opponent at a glance

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You complete bastard. Go back and do it again and this time get murdered multiple times like you're supposed to.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not to worry, I nearly ragequit for a while over Sen's and Blighttown falling deaths.

And the Gaping Dragon has been the hardest boss to date (because grab ignores your shield, his normal attacks chew through a ton of endurance, and acid is terrible in all possible ways), although I think I'm pretty much at the Anor Londo boss, so we'll see how that goes tonight / tomorrow.

Really happy to be able to buy twinkling titanite. :3: Immediately plonked a bunch into my trusty Circlestick (Catchpole - I actually got another one to drop in Sen's, heh) and Black Knight Shield. Still wearing moderately upgraded pyro armor and starting to wonder if I'll just be spending the rest of the game upgrading my starter armor.

This is the thing I love about the Souls games. How different the experience is for everyone. I have never had Gaping Dragon be anything other than a chump. Even my first playthrough I beat him on the first try. But like most everyone else - it took forever to get past the Archers, and even now if I'm not careful or my parry timing is off, I will screw up and die there a coupla times at least.

And as everyone else said: upgrading armor is mostly a waste. Use your upgrade materials to play around with some other weapons, or upgrade a bow so you can draw aggro from a distance when dealing with groups of enemies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, I got the Iaito and the Shadow set, as well as a few more random soul items. I killed that wall-hugger thing from behind, but in the process my character's model somehow clipped into and got stuck in its model, so when it died I was flung into the abyss at high velocity.

Now if I could just figure out how to go down, that's be nice. I can't seem to find how to move forward in blight town at all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ghost of Starman posted:

but in DkS you just wear whatever you think looks cool unless you are facing curse, then you put on the antiquated skirt.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I got the Iaito and the Shadow set, as well as a few more random soul items. I killed that wall-hugger thing from behind, but in the process my character's model somehow clipped into and got stuck in its model, so when it died I was flung into the abyss at high velocity.

Now if I could just figure out how to go down, that's be nice. I can't seem to find how to move forward in blight town at all.
Ladders. If you are ever stuck in Blighttown there's a ladder you didn't see. It can be tricky to find them, move the camera around a lot.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

It's near the wall-hugger. Explicit instructions: From the platform it was hanging over, follow the wall to the [right when facing the wall, or left if you came from behind the wall-hugger], there will be a ramp down leading go a cave. Go that way.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

MokBa posted:

If you don't refer to the game as Pretty Pretty Princess Dress-Up in your head, then you've got the wrong attitude about Dark Souls entirely.

I'll have you know that the only good alternative name for Dark Souls is Jerky Knight Adventures.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

I'll have you know that the only good alternative name for Dark Souls is Jerky Knight Adventures.

Me, literally putting a blue dress on a piece of jerky: "I think we can compromise."

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I have nothing nice to say about Queelog. At all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Hit it when it barfs, run away when it explodes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

she really knows how to heat things up :haw:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Amazing Chest Ahead.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Yeah I just keep missing the tell pre AOE explosion death.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Quelaag is pretty good for learning patterns on. One of the easier bosses to kill without taking a hit.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I have nothing remotely nice to say about the Bed of Chaos. JFC what a dogshit fight. I almost dropped my last run once I got swept into a pit via janky hitbox for the 5th time

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bed of Chaos would be improved by literally being a mattress monster that flops around and attacks you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just killed Queelag at level 21 (using the Drake Valley shortcut). Had help from maneater, as I was only doing 50's and 60's with my sword and magic. My character build feels pretty bad, haha (Two handed Washing Pole and normal magician staff thing).

It was really tough getting past the hydra and defeating all the forest bandits and bushmen for Shiva, but I cheesed a bit just kicking them off the cliff.

So off to Sen's I guess. I know what I'd like to do is go fight the four kings, but it's p much impossible that I'd even have a chance at this point.

• Locked thread