Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AvesPKS posted:

I'm going to go test drive a Focus ST again. I'm haggling with some dealerships on GTI pricing so I figured I might as well. One question: should sitting in the Recaros feel like I'm sitting in a bucket? Only thing I didn't like about the Focus ST, and I'm hoping I just didn't adjust them properly, although I'm afraid this won't be the case.

What do you mean bucket? Like you are loose in them or they hug you tight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The Recaros break in. They feel tight at first but they eventually form to you and become more comfortable.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Sat in a Clio 182 today, and my knees hit the wheel when working the pedals. Being tall blows sometimes. :(

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
They didn't feel tight, but when I sat down the seating position felt like the back of the seat was a lot lower than the front of the seat, like I'd fallen into a bucket, if that makes sense. Like I said, I am hoping I just didn't have it adjusted right.

Afterwards I sat in a base model and the seats felt much more normal, seating position wise.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 4, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Took my friend car shopping today. We drove a few of small hatches, most of them boring and automatic. Both the Spark and Sonic were stupidly underwhelming. The Fit was nice but felt sluggish getting on the highway. She really loved that one. The Ford dealer has no Fiesta STs but the one we drove was actually really enjoyable. I need to track down and ST and look into that as I love the size of those.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AvesPKS posted:

They didn't feel tight, but when I sat down the seating position felt like the back of the seat was a lot lower than the front of the seat, like I'd fallen into a bucket, if that makes sense. Like I said, I am hoping I just didn't have it adjusted right.

Afterwards I sat in a base model and the seats felt much more normal, seating position wise.

That's just how they are. It's either comfy or not, because that angle can't be adjusted out.

For me it felt amazing when I test drove, but my buddy said his legs were going numb in twenty minutes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have a bulging L5 S1 disc and I loathed the recaros. The acute angle of the seat back to the butt cushion is not something I could handle long-term, which is a shame as they seem very high quality. I could also see the making peoples legs numb as they apply additional pressure on the back of your legs where the seat cushion ends because of that angle.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got that feeling in the fiesta st i sat in too but the worst was the new colorado. Like leg numbing long oblong toilet time where you stand up and fall over bad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

I have a bulging L5 S1 disc and I loathed the recaros. The acute angle of the seat back to the butt cushion is not something I could handle long-term, which is a shame as they seem very high quality. I could also see the making peoples legs numb as they apply additional pressure on the back of your legs where the seat cushion ends because of that angle.

This is a little weird, I felt the same way driving my friend's ST. I hated the angle of the seat bottom and that it wasn't adjustable. I definitely couldn't live with them.

I also have a lovely back with L5/S1 fuckery (previous herniated disc, one surgery for it and it still stucks so I'll probably revisit that...) and am in the Detroit area. :confused::hf::confused:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Larrymer posted:

This is a little weird, I felt the same way driving my friend's ST. I hated the angle of the seat bottom and that it wasn't adjustable. I definitely couldn't live with them.

I also have a lovely back with L5/S1 fuckery (previous herniated disc, one surgery for it and it still stucks so I'll probably revisit that...) and am in the Detroit area. :confused::hf::confused:

Broke Back Bros

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PaintVagrant posted:

Broke Back Bros

Paging CSB/STR

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Basically this was my experience too. It felt like the seat was trying to swallow me.

Voltage posted:

I loved the recaros in my fiesta st, broke in nicely and were so comfortable, really hug you in but in a good way. Getting used to the flat seats in new base model jetta kind of sucks.

I drove the Fiesta ST with Recaros first, and they didn't feel anywhere near as different as the Focus ST, for some reason.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 5, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I loved the recaros in my fiesta st, broke in nicely and were so comfortable, really hug you in but in a good way. Getting used to the flat seats in new base model jetta kind of sucks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
New Golf R dudes, I have a question. I test drove a 2012 Golf R with a manual last year and it seemed a bit sedate. Anyone that has driven both that generation and the current generation, does the new one feel more exciting, or is it pretty much the same?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GutBomb posted:

New Golf R dudes, I have a question. I test drove a 2012 Golf R with a manual last year and it seemed a bit sedate. Anyone that has driven both that generation and the current generation, does the new one feel more exciting, or is it pretty much the same?

The 16 has close to 50 more ponies and is on the new MBQ platform which is a HUGE upgrade over the MK6.

As far as Recarros, if you are shaped like Hank Hill then they suck, they seem like they were built for people with a big ole butt. I loved mine in the GLI and the seats in the R are basically just reskinned Recarros.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Not strictly a hatch question, but what's up with the difference in torque figures between the GTI and the GLI? Is it the same engine, or different?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Same engine for gti and gli, and the gti performance pack gives you an extra 10hp but its just a software tune iirc.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I think what he's asking about is - on VW.com the GLI shows 207 lb-ft torque at 1700 RPM vs. the GTI's 258 lb-ft at 1500 RPM. Horsepower peaks at lower RPM on the GTI - 4500 vs. 5300.

I thought they were supposed to have identical engine tunes for 2016, too.

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 5, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Voltage posted:

Same engine for gti and gli, and the gti performance pack gives you an extra 10hp but its just a software tune iirc.

The real reason to buy the sport pack is the LSD.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My wife is going to start working in an office again (as opposed from home) and we're finally going to need a second car. This would be for me to drive when I can't use my motorcycle.

I really want a new Abarth 5 speed. How crazy am I to buy this car? I'd be putting around 6,000 miles a year on it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

WescottF1 posted:

I think what he's asking about is - on VW.com the GLI shows 207 lb-ft torque at 1700 RPM vs. the GTI's 258 lb-ft at 1500 RPM. Horsepower peaks at lower RPM on the GTI - 4500 vs. 5300.

I thought they were supposed to have identical engine tunes for 2016, too.

That has to be a PP GTI to get that kind of torque.

Hahah, what? The GLI is only available as a stick and only comes with 18" wheels at over 30k.

Type
2.0L inline four cylinder, 16V, turbocharged/ intercooled, TSI
Bore
3.25 in
Stroke
3.65 in
Displacement
121 cu in
Compression Ratio
9.6:1
Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm
210 hp @ 5300 rpm
Maximum torque, lb-ft @ rpm
207 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm
Fuel Requirement
Regular unleaded (horsepower achieved with premium fuel)

VS

GTI PP loaded

ENGINE
Type
2.0L inline four cylinder, 16V, turbocharged/ intercooled, TS
Bore
3.25 in
Stroke
3.65 in
Displacement
121 cu in
Compression Ratio
Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm
220 hp @ 4700 rpm
258 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm
Fuel Requirement

The difference being that the GLI doesn't get the powerpack option. You seem to actually get more for your money with the GLI since it comes with the lighting package and driver assistance package included.

E: normal gti

ENGINE
Type
2.0L inline four cylinder, 16V, turbocharged/ intercooled, TS
Bore
3.25 in
Stroke
3.65 in
Displacement
121 cu in
Compression Ratio
Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm
210 hp @ 4500 rpm
258 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm
Fuel Requirement

Not sure why the GTI ends up with more torks. VW magic I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No. 6 posted:

My wife is going to start working in an office again (as opposed from home) and we're finally going to need a second car. This would be for me to drive when I can't use my motorcycle.

I really want a new Abarth 5 speed. How crazy am I to buy this car? I'd be putting around 6,000 miles a year on it.

My understanding is that driving it is less fun than it should be and it's not a very good value.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Other options then? Not a huge fan of Mini. I kinda like the Civic Si coupe or Type R (who knows when that will get here or the price).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No. 6 posted:

Other options then? Not a huge fan of Mini. I kinda like the Civic Si coupe or Type R (who knows when that will get here or the price).

I like GTI/Type R, FiST/FoST and Mazdaspeed3. The Civic Si/Type R are supposed to both be great, as well. I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with any of them. Perhaps the Fiesta is a little small. WRX doesn't come in a hatch anymore, alas, but is obviously still great.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm completely over anything VAG. The Fiesta and Focus styling doesn't do it for me. Last time I tried the WRX it felt cheap. Maybe I'll check it again. Will also look into the Mazda.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

The real reason to buy the sport pack is the LSD.

The diff that "broke the laws of physics".

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No. 6 posted:

I have an Abarth and so do other dudes in the 500 thread. Somebody asked us our general impression of the car and what common issues we've seen. Here are our replies:

Ehud posted:

I have a 2013 Abarth. Here are some things to consider that I've realized as I've driven the car.

- The back seat is a lie. It's a two seater car unless your friends are all little people or Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump.

- The bluetooth on 2012 and 2013 does not allow you to listen to music via Bluetooth. You'll have to plug in a USB or AUX cable.

- The turning radius on the car is hilarious. You'll feel like you'r driving a school bus when you perform a three point turn. Normal 500's do not have this issue - just the Abarth. It's not a huge deal to me and I've learned how to adjust the way I parallel park and whatnot, but it might piss some people off.

- Abarths have a pretty active modding community. Be sure to ask what all has been done to the car since you're buying used. If it's a clueless dealer rather than a private party, check for things under the hood like piggyback ECU's, modified intakes, etc. It's just good to know what you're getting into.

- The leather seats are much better than the cloth seats, in my opinion, but that's just a personal preference.

- If your girlfriend listens to a lot of music then try to find one with the Beats audio package. It's pretty good if you want a better than factory stereo. Comes with a little amp and subwoofer that live in the hatch. Audiophiles won't be impressed, but it's good for the common man.

As far as issues with specific years, I stayed away from 2012's because that was the first US version of the car and there seemed to be more issues with the first generation. My car only has 8k miles so I can't speak to the long term reliability of the car, but here are the issues I've had so far:

- Tire pressure sensor went bad. Fiat fixed this for me.

- The paint quality on the car is pretty bad. I have a lot of little chips on the front and my white rims are chipped all over the place.

- The driver's side window rattles a lot. Not sure if Fiat will fix that or not.

- The molding/skirt on the side of the car is starting to come loose on one side. Going to have Fiat look at this when I take the care in for service. From what I've read online, they will fix it.

All pretty minor stuff.

Overall I love the car. It's my daily driver and the only other person who ever rides with me is my wife. The car is really controversial for some reason. People either love it or call me gay for owning "a girl's car", but I guess that's less of a concern for your girlfriend :haw: It definitely turns heads and is a conversation starter. I've probably had 20 or 30 strangers talk to me about the car and I've only owned it since this summer.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Abarth.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

To add on/correct;

'12-'14 didn't have bluetooth audio streaming

'12 is the first MY of the Abarth, no major issues except fit and finish, everything else should have been taken care of under warranty by the PO

'12-'13 is the most mod-able years for the Abarth, a lot of tuners are falling behind on the '14+ Abarths especially when it comes to handheld tuners

'15 is the first year of the LCD dash and the heat-shield on the turbo is different, as is the Manifold Vacuum Sensor location and as such a lot of the accessories and performance parts have to closely scrutinized before making the plunge

'14 was the first year that the "Turbo" blacked out lights were offered on the Abarth, as with many parts on these cars the Turbo lights can be retrofitted to any MY Abarth with no issue whatsoever, beware of eBay sellers however since a lot of the lights sold on eBay have been damaged during removal from the donor car

All MY Abarths have an issue with the windows being out of alignment with the top of the door frame, it's hit-and-miss as to which one you'll wind up with but my '13 Turbo had a driver window rattle and my '15 does not. Luck of the draw I suppose.

As is mentioned backseats are useless, I'm 5'9" and I can't have an adult sitting behind me comfortably for more than a quick run around town, road trips with more than 2 occupants is really out of the question

All MY Abarths have a mis-alignment on the hood, you can simply bend the corners in and it'll fit flush with no rubbing, did this to both my Turbo and Abarth

Pay special attention to the side skirts, if you notice any peeling make sure to get that fixed as part of your deal, make them put it on the Due Bill no matter what

The front bumper may show sag between the front fenders, this is sadly normal as the bumper is held on by 6 plastic trim clips and 4 screws, the screws are located in the wheel wells and as such have no bearing on the droop of the bumper so if the front end has ever bottomed out you can tell immediately

The mirror caps are massive and as such you may notice whistling at highway speeds, this is normal, they are also stupid easy to remove to repaint/wrap/plasti-dip
The front bumper is prone to rock chips and damage since it is relatively flat, pay special attention to just above the Abarth badge on the front bumper as well, if it's digging into the paint and chipping it FIAT will repaint your entire front bumper under warranty

The stock intercoolers are kind of a joke and a very popular mod is to get a front mount intercooler, they're inexpensive and fairly easy to install by yourself. You will notice an improvement over stock and there will be far less heat-soak after highway trips or hard pulls
The Abarth has a 3-stage ESC, it is ON, press the button once for PARTIALLY OFF and hold the button for roughly 10 seconds and you will hear a chime/see an indicator in the dash that it is FULLY OFF, turn traction control off and you're now essentially in track mode.
Audio upgrades are a pain in the rear end because the speakers are behind large trim panels that have clips that break easily, on top of that the stock speakers are riveted into the chassis so you will have to drill them out then mount your new speakers, luckily the AMP and/or Sub is easy since it's designed for one anyways. Beats is great for the little care and BOSE is kinda meh, tbh all sound systems in this car are mediocre at best but get the job done. Crutchfield has the hookup if you feel the need.

Personal opinion; the '13 and '14 are the best MY for the Abarth, the '12 shouldn't be passed on just because it's a 1st MY but the '14 is by far the best MY. The '15 is a joke and has a lot of technical issues, mine has been in the shop a lot, in fact I get to pick it up tomorrow after being in the shop since Nov 9th for the Blue & Me, 4th or 5th attempted repair IIRC. I used to sell these little bastards and have owned both a Turbo and an Abarth so my knowledge on them is pretty vast, ask me anything if you need to.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I love my car :)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If you like your feet sitting at a weird angle, and the steering wheel not being centered to the seat, as well as a shifter that may as well be from a big rig, the fiat is great.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Just got a check for $100 in the mail from Ford regarding the red brake caliper issue on the Fiesta ST. I was wondering is anything was going to happen regarding that but didn't expect it to be handled so swiftly...big ups FoMoCo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mariana Horchata posted:

Just got a check for $100 in the mail from Ford regarding the red brake caliper issue on the Fiesta ST. I was wondering is anything was going to happen regarding that but didn't expect it to be handled so swiftly...big ups FoMoCo

What is the issue with the red brake calipers?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GutBomb posted:

Speaking of which:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mgp-brake-caliper-cover-set-with-st-logo-focus-st-2013-2016/p/BCCST-V/

lol

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

No. 6 posted:

I'm completely over anything VAG. The Fiesta and Focus styling doesn't do it for me. Last time I tried the WRX it felt cheap. Maybe I'll check it again. Will also look into the Mazda.

Not sure what your budget is like but have you considered the BMW 1 series hatch?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

The optional ebony wheels for MY16 were supposed to include red caliper covers and instead many if not all vehicles that have this option ended up without them while the standard Rado wheels had them instead. I'm pretty sure that they are just red painted covers rather than powder coated calipers, and I'm secretly happier without them as they would just be inevitably covered with brake dust anyways as well as detract from the Q-ship look that I love very much - '16 Magnetic w/ Ebony wheels, looks like a basic bitch econobox to 98% of the people on the road and wears dirt/brake dust pretty well too unlike the extra cost white paint which I also fancied.

lovely pic but you get the idea

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 8, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just wanna pop in and let everyone know the R is a BLAST in the snow. Completely predictable and very much able to get sideways. I'm betting my first ticket will end up being me hooning around in the snow vs speeding on a normal day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mariana Horchata posted:

The optional ebony wheels for MY16 were supposed to include red caliper covers and instead many if not all vehicles that have this option ended up without them while the standard Rado wheels had them instead. I'm pretty sure that they are just red painted covers rather than powder coated calipers, and I'm secretly happier without them as they would just be inevitably covered with brake dust anyways as well as detract from the Q-ship look that I love very much - '16 Magnetic w/ Ebony wheels, looks like a basic bitch econobox to 98% of the people on the road and wears dirt/brake dust pretty well too unlike the extra cost white paint which I also fancied.

lovely pic but you get the idea

Oh god those rear brakes with wheels that big look hilarious

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Mariana Horchata posted:

I'm pretty sure that they are just red painted covers rather than powder coated calipers, and I'm secretly happier without them as they would just be inevitably covered with brake dust anyways as well as detract from the Q-ship look that I love very much - '16 Magnetic w/ Ebony wheels, looks like a basic bitch econobox to 98% of the people on the road and wears dirt/brake dust pretty well too unlike the extra cost white paint which I also fancied.

No covers, the calipers are painted or powder coated red.

I wanted the ebony wheels, but ordered it with standard because I didn't want the red calipers. They won't replace them because it's an upgrade I didn't pay for. :(

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh god those rear brakes with wheels that big look hilarious

yeah kinda true but hey they do work real nice, and allow for good ole 15" steelies to be fitted for snowtime supremacy.

oxbrain posted:

No covers, the calipers are painted or powder coated red.

I wanted the ebony wheels, but ordered it with standard because I didn't want the red calipers. They won't replace them because it's an upgrade I didn't pay for. :(

hard times man...sux

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mariana Horchata posted:

yeah kinda true but hey they do work real nice, and allow for good ole 15" steelies to be fitted for snowtime supremacy.

hard times man...sux

Oh, I know the brakes are totally fine. Just the wheels are so massive and have such large openings that it looks hilariously tiny, especially at that angle.

I'm only negging it because I want one.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
On one of the forums I surf when bored, some guy was already asking about buying a 4000$ big brake kit for his 16 R. He couldn't come up with a reason for why he needed them when everyone asked. :shrug:

The stock brakes on my R will put you through the windshield on dry pavement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

The stock brakes on my R will put you through the windshield on dry pavement.

I feel the same way and the initial bite feels almost on the same level as my old 95M Miata with Carbotech AX6 pads all around (minus sounding like a train pulling into the station), hopefully the Motorcraft replacement pads are the same aggressive but dirty design...if anybody happens to know if they aren't the same please let me know but I have faith that they would be the same.