Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I had picked up the original Apple brown leather case for my iPhone 6 at launch and it was falling apart after 3 months. I was very not happy with it and disappointed coming from the super great iPhone 5S leather case. That thing lasted me for well over a year and it still looked nice. Is this new saddle brown case all that much better? Please say yes. I'd love to replace this stupid Tech21 clear case I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Killer Queen posted:

I had picked up the original Apple brown leather case for my iPhone 6 at launch and it was falling apart after 3 months. I was very not happy with it and disappointed coming from the super great iPhone 5S leather case. That thing lasted me for well over a year and it still looked nice. Is this new saddle brown case all that much better? Please say yes. I'd love to replace this stupid Tech21 clear case I have.

The 6S leather is different from the 6 leather -- definitely higher quality. My 6 case never fell apart, but I was never impressed with its quality, and it did start "bubbling" on the sides within 6 months... a bunch of rough bumps that felt borderline uncomfortable in the hand. No idea what caused it, aside from oils/sweat? It never got wet, nor terribly dirty.

The construction seems exactly the same, but the leather is different. I dunno if that would alleviate what caused your 6 case to fall apart. If it was the leather itself just deteriorating and peeling off, I don't suspect that'll happen with the 6S leather, as long as you're reasonably gentle with it and don't subject it to rough surfaces/objects.

I didn't have a 5S leather case so I can't compare there, but I think you'd find it preferable to the 6 leather. The difference was immediately obvious to me. Maybe see if they'll let you check one out at an Apple Store (the case is sealed, it's stupid) or just buy one and return it if you don't like it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Killer Queen posted:

From normal use I've seen absolutely no breakdown at all. Though there is a tiny knick where i dropped it against a sharp key on the lip once. I can't believe I'm saying this but I leather condition my phone case and it feels even better and looks heartier than when i first got it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I had a 6 leather black and a 6s leather saddle and the black I used for a year and it didn't fall apart in the least.

Also gently caress anyone who can't see the true beauty of black face saddle brown. It's good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I miss solid black glass iPhones.
So sexy

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Design wise the iPhone 5 is my favorite iPhone. Followed closely by the 5s. I would love a proper black phone again.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
After owning a 6 for a year the 5 models look old fashioned to me. 6 just looks more modern.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The worst part of your plebian leather cases is not being able to see that beautiful gold finish. You are all terrible people for covering it up. Clear Case Crew here.

Gold is the third worse iPhone color

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

Gold is the third worse iPhone color

It's actually the fourth. Rose gold on the 6S is third worse.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine just had his iPhone 6 randomly shut off while at 70% battery and now it won't turn on, even after charging it for hours.

I had him hold Home + Power for about 40 seconds and no dice. He's away on a trip right now and doesn't have access to a computer, so for now I can't get him to try DFU mode.

I've been Googling the problem but everyone pretty much just recommends Home + Power which doesn't work. Worst case scenario he'll start hunting around for a computer to try DFU mode, but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Friend of mine just had his iPhone 6 randomly shut off while at 70% battery and now it won't turn on, even after charging it for hours.

I had him hold Home + Power for about 40 seconds and no dice. He's away on a trip right now and doesn't have access to a computer, so for now I can't get him to try DFU mode.

I've been Googling the problem but everyone pretty much just recommends Home + Power which doesn't work. Worst case scenario he'll start hunting around for a computer to try DFU mode, but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions

Is the phone charged? I mean, that would be my first troubleshooting step. Plug it into power, try hard reset, panic.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Did you miss the part in the first sentence where he said it had been charged for hours?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
but is it charged?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Did you miss the part in the first sentence where he said it had been charged for hours?

I doubt he did, no.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

enojy posted:

The 6S leather is different from the 6 leather -- definitely higher quality. My 6 case never fell apart, but I was never impressed with its quality, and it did start "bubbling" on the sides within 6 months... a bunch of rough bumps that felt borderline uncomfortable in the hand. No idea what caused it, aside from oils/sweat? It never got wet, nor terribly dirty.

The construction seems exactly the same, but the leather is different. I dunno if that would alleviate what caused your 6 case to fall apart. If it was the leather itself just deteriorating and peeling off, I don't suspect that'll happen with the 6S leather, as long as you're reasonably gentle with it and don't subject it to rough surfaces/objects.

I didn't have a 5S leather case so I can't compare there, but I think you'd find it preferable to the 6 leather. The difference was immediately obvious to me. Maybe see if they'll let you check one out at an Apple Store (the case is sealed, it's stupid) or just buy one and return it if you don't like it.

My black 6s leather case is having the same "bubbling" on the sides here after 3 months. I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable, but it's rather annoying. I don't know if I'd get another one of their leather cases after this.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

flipoff posted:

My black 6s leather case is having the same "bubbling" on the sides here after 3 months. I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable, but it's rather annoying. I don't know if I'd get another one of their leather cases after this.

Shoulda got the Saddle Brown.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Shoulda got the orange silicone.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm just over here with my smoke grey tech21 case like meh.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I had a 5 that started doing this. If I repeatedly held the 2 buttons for about a minute and repeated, somewhere between 5-10 attempts would make it wake up.
The phone needs to go see Apple.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Welp, yesterday I was going to get the saddle brown case for my 6s+, and in preparation I took off the white silicone case. Wow! When I bought the phone it felt retarded huge, and when I put the white case on it was worse yet, but at least it was grippy and protected.

Without the case the size now feels fine, no longer comically large. So gently caress this noise, I'm going commando.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Croc Monster posted:

Welp, yesterday I was going to get the saddle brown case for my 6s+, and in preparation I took off the white silicone case. Wow! When I bought the phone it felt retarded huge, and when I put the white case on it was worse yet, but at least it was grippy and protected.

Without the case the size now feels fine, no longer comically large. So gently caress this noise, I'm going commando.

Lmao rip.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You can lead a horse to the official 6s saddle brown leather case, but you can't make him drink.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Croc Monster posted:

It's the one true way.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Maybe not the right place for this, but is there any loving way to stop my emails from registering an incorrect number of unread emails? I keep trying to mark all unread>read but it keeps inverting the emails and not zeroing out. Tried going into each box and marking all but that was even worse. Ridiculous poo poo.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Croc Monster posted:

Say goodbye to your resale value, you silly goose.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
My 6+ Midnight Blue leather case is great except the Apple logo is half gone. How will the plebs appreciate my APPLE phone if they can't see the logo? Is this the planned obsolescence I've heard about at engadget?!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Am I the only person who mentally calls it "Done hosed Up" mode, in a Ron White style accent?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Croc Monster posted:

Can you post when you break it?
They're slippery enough as it is. If you're used to the grip of the silicon case you're gonna have a bad time.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Khablam posted:

Can you post when you break it?

Sure, but it ain't gonna happen :smug:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Croc Monster posted:

Now it's for sure going to happen.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I thumb my nose at Wyrd!

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Croc Monster posted:

sounds like a toxx

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Your phone days are literally numbered.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Insurance is my case :smug:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Insurance is my case :smug:

Murder was the case.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Going commando is the only way you big sissies. Take a loving chance will ya

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
not having a case on an iphone 6 is stupid as hell

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

noirstronaut posted:

not having a screen protector on an iphone 6 is stupid as hell

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

not having a case on an iphone 6 is stupid as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always found the screen is the toughest part of my iPhones.