Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Didn't actually know the plot for Debbie does Dallas. Thanks!

So was that the last episode of the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, they'll be back with another bunch of episodes as the show got a full season order earlier in the season.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Because it's on network TV we get 20+ episodes of this show. :getin:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

When is the show returning?

Anyway, I've been checking out Elementary thanks to this threads recommendation. It's actually really highlighted for me why Limitless is so special. I've only seen the first season and a bit of the second of Elementary, but it's considerably more episodic. I enjoy that Limitless is so good at weaving in it's overarching story into almost every episode (though perhaps that'll change with the larger season order).

The main thing though, is Brian. While there are many shows with super brilliant leads solving crimes, they typically want to avoid making the protagonist too perfect, so they give them serious character flaws. Sherlock, for example, is an irredeemably insufferable poo poo. Brian by contrast, is someone you want to root for. I think this is why the show works so well, because Brian can be "perfect" while on the pill, and have flaws or otherwise struggle with the nature of his NZT self when he's no longer on it. There's no need to add flaws to him to prevent him from being boringly perfect, because he's only on NZT for 12 hours at a time. So he's allowed to be likable through his humor, as well as hyper competent.

I think it's part of why this show feels like a spiritual successor to Chuck, because his ability to be hyper competent and remain someone you want to succeed worked much the same way because of the intersect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Comes back this Tuesday.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
"The Assassination of Eddie Morra", I wonder what happens on Tuesday.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tenzarin posted:

"The Assassination of Eddie Morra", I wonder what happens on Tuesday.

Could be a character assassination, you never know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nuke it from orbit

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've missed a few episodes of this show here and there. Is this Piper lady someone that's shown up before?
Also, is Morra still coming off as a straight villain or is there some insight yet as to why he's doing what he's doing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, she's new. As for Morra, he showed up a while back saying that he was just testing Brian and was working to change the system from the inside. Of course then we saw Sands blow up a house so...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She's got mad cow!

I'm hoping this is an elaborate con between the two of them.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 6, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Even though Brian is being not very helpful in this investigation, unfortunately for Morra, he can't turn off the brains of Spellman and Rebecca. They're FBI agents, as the show keeps pointing out, and even they can spot how suspicious this is. The little thread about how did a meth dealer get his hands on NZT, which has all but vanished from circulation leads to the thread of "why would someone on NZT want to kill Morra"?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I like that I can think both Morra AND Piper are kind of crazy. We can probably agree that NZT is an absolute gamechanger on every level, right? So the worst we can assume about Morra's intentions for NZT control is that he's going to hold it for a select few he deems worthy, which potentially leads to a fascist society, where the few "worthy" pill-takers keep the many underfoot, outthinking them, manipulating them. Worst assumptions of Piper, though, is that she makes sure that EVERYBODY can get NZT, and I'm not sure that the world at large can handle that.

This is a loving situation that Brian's caught up in right now.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
If Morra is smart enough to dodge a bullet from 3km away, I'm pretty sure he made a plan for Brian's potential betrayal. I feel like Morra is on a whole different playing field from the rest of the NZT users, no way he didn't already have a full file on Piper, DNA sequence and all, before she died. No way he doesn't know that Brian betrayed him, though he might just be satisfied with the outcome of getting Piper out of the way for a while.

But I'm getting dangerously close to fanfiction territory. It's just sort of hard to accept.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
FBI keeps our DNA on record? I think they just meant blood.

I dont think they can ever have Morra ever exposed because it would mean for the end of the show.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 6, 2016

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm surprised how involved cooper was during the episode. Is it some sort of deal written into an all encompassing limitless contract or what? Not that I'm complaining though because he's fantastic as Morra.

I also don't think Morra can be played for a fool so easily. He knows Brian isn't capable of cold blooded murder, even in the most dire of circumstances. There's got to be something else going on with Morra's plans.

This show is really on a roll too, it was a great episode. It's awesome how quickly they can go from silly to dramatic to heart wrenching and intense. The actor who plays brian is a versatile dude. Also, one last thing- the music during the fight scene between Piper and Brian was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He executive produced the movie and the show so it seems like this is something he's fully invested in.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Tenzarin posted:

FBI keeps our DNA on record? I think they just meant blood.

She's the main suspect in her boyfriend's murder, so I'd buy it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The first scene with Eddie was top notch. All of Brian's scenes have him tuning out the world around him, while he visualizes things and plans. It was an interesting contrast with Eddie, who was doing his NZT planning this while in the middle of a speech. It seems this was deliberately contrasted to highlight Eddie being at a higher level? Because Brian definitely does tune out; for example, he was ignoring Boyle while he was in the car this episode. Although he can do the "rude" catch up thing, he doesn't seem able to do his thing while in a conversation with others to anywhere near the same degree that Eddie demonstrated.

Just thought it was a cool way to "show, not tell" Eddie being smarter than Brian, as well as demonstrate something inhuman that someone can do on NZT.

I'm really not sure where they are heading with Eddie though. Although Bradley Cooper clearly has some serious nostalgia for his first (?) leading role, I don't know if they can really utilize his character that well when he's appearing so sporadically. Like, it's fantastic that he guests. But he stops the appearance of another other real "big bads". I can't see an A-lister continuing for more than one season?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought the fake fight was a bit too obvious and wouldn't have minded some kind of second reveal where we see that Piper is still hiding something from Brian, but other than that minor gripe it was another fantastic episode. God drat I missed this show.

Oh and I introduced my family to this show over the holidays and they couldn't stop poking fun at Bradley Cooper's ridiculously blue eyes in the first few episodes, so the boardroom scene where they randomly take a second to admire Morra's eyes loving killed them. Such a great dumb moment.

Ravane posted:

If Morra is smart enough to dodge a bullet from 3km away

Shakugan posted:

Just thought it was a cool way to "show, not tell" Eddie being smarter than Brian, as well as demonstrate something inhuman that someone can do on NZT.

Just want to point out that the episode's opening was actually a neat tie-in to the end of the last episode, where Brian pointed out that the reason he knows Casey wasn't going to hurt him was that they both totally saw the bullet coming thanks to NZT and had time to react which meant that Casey chose not to shoot Brian at that moment. The actual physics of that are a bit goofy I think but I thought it was neat that they at least established that level of super reflex before having Morra dodge a bullet.

Also, for reference, a sniper shot from that distance would take something like 6+ seconds to get to its target after it was fired, so it's surprisingly realistic that given everything we've seen people on NZT do that Morra would've been able to at least start leaning when he thought Piper took the shot and then adjust ever so slightly once he actually saw the bullet coming (which he would since he knew exactly where she was shooting from).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What would you do if you had unlimited access to NZT? This is like, "What would you do if you won the lottery?," but I feel like it's a question Bradley Cooper found an answer to and built a show around so let's go there, too!

I'd want to find NZT's wisdom/empathy equivalent. And short of that, bend mankind's evolutionary curve toward increased domestication because we could use a more intelligent, peaceable and egalitarian baseline.

But Morra seems to be about creating the first true ubermensch. Seeing how far he can take this.

I don't think I'd like working for Morra, but I'd side with him against Piper because she mentioned sharing NZT with the world. I think if they lose containment on non-self-limiting NZT, it would destroy the world.

Edit: And Brian trading the truck driver's wife's singing? That was jarringly touching. This show is a very, very, very fine show. :3

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I think what the show is trying to say, especially after that office scene at the end is that once you start on the nzt path you'll eventually come to a fork in the road. You can become just a better human, empathy still intact or a manipulative machine while not necessarily "evil" will always do what you think needs to be done regardless of cost.

Casey death is a great example because even if Morra was at Brian's level, I don't believe he would have left room for Casey to be shot if that wasn't what he wanted. Brian didn't think Boyle would shoot, whether Brian realizes it or not he was still giving Boyle a choice. Him being mad about it later works in classic smartest guy in a room disappointed when ppl don't act like the way they hoped trope fashion.

Piper's probably somewhere in between the two with her meeting with Brian now giving her a life line.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

I thought the fake fight was a bit too obvious and wouldn't have minded some kind of second reveal where we see that Piper is still hiding something from Brian, but other than that minor gripe it was another fantastic episode. God drat I missed this show.

I don't think you can rule out yet that Morra was actually telling him the truth and Piper was actually the one manipulating him. Neither of them came off as trustworthy in that episode.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

raditts posted:

I don't think you can rule out yet that Morra was actually telling him the truth and Piper was actually the one manipulating him. Neither of them came off as trustworthy in that episode.

I'd actually really like it if this were the case. It'd be a fantastic shakeup.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd actually really like it if this were the case. It'd be a fantastic shakeup.

That would reinforce the notion, too, that Mora's interest in Brian is based on his psychologicsl stability.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My dumb theory that kinda fell apart as the episode went on was that Morra was using Piper to test Brian once again and see what he would do if offered a seemingly potentially legit chance to break away from Morra's reach. It doesn't exactly hold up to scrutiny, but I like the idea of Morra being an actual Good Guy more than him being the amoral ends-justify-the-means, house-blowing-up inevitable Big Bad he's currently on track to be.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Accretionist posted:

That would reinforce the notion, too, that Mora's interest in Brian is based on his psychologicsl stability.

This was one thing I wasn't too sure about with this episode. Morra's speech at the end implied this wasn't the case, since he implied he thinks Brian shouldn't worry about that so much. But clearly, Brian's psychological stability IS his desire to retain parts of his non-NZT self. It could all be a "trick" to have said that, but ehhhhh.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Shakugan posted:

This was one thing I wasn't too sure about with this episode. Morra's speech at the end implied this wasn't the case, since he implied he thinks Brian shouldn't worry about that so much. But clearly, Brian's psychological stability IS his desire to retain parts of his non-NZT self. It could all be a "trick" to have said that, but ehhhhh.

I think it is entirely within the realm of possibility that Morra and Sands are doing a long term good cop/bad cop act with Brian to see how he holds up to extended NZT use and if and when he starts to really change personality wise, or if he is able to resist the temptation after all.

I love how Rebecca and Ike became part of his internal conflict over who to trust, sweaters and all.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tortolia posted:

I love how Rebecca and Ike became part of his internal conflict over who to trust, sweaters and all.
And then he thought of his dad to give him the truthful answer.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Tortolia posted:

I think it is entirely within the realm of possibility that Morra and Sands are doing a long term good cop/bad cop act with Brian to see how he holds up to extended NZT use and if and when he starts to really change personality wise, or if he is able to resist the temptation after all.

And I love how Rebecca now knows that Morra is on NZT. Wonder if she'll figure out who is holding whose strings before Brian realises she knows.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I like how they totally foreshadowed Rebecca figuring it out during the meeting scenes when Brian imagines that she'll put it together. He was totally right about her being smart enough to see a connection, he was just wrong about which connection she'd spot.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

I like how they totally foreshadowed Rebecca figuring it out during the meeting scenes when Brian imagines that she'll put it together. He was totally right about her being smart enough to see a connection, he was just wrong about which connection she'd spot.

One of the great things about the characters and cast is they made the CJC full of highly skilled, competent professionals. Brian elevates what they can do by finding the remotest connections and processing inhumanly large amounts of data, but the show avoided the usual trap of making the supporting characters a bunch of morons who aren't able to function without the protagonist.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tortolia posted:

but the show avoided the usual trap of making the supporting characters a bunch of morons who aren't able to function without the protagonist.

Idunno, there's Mike and Ike.

I mean, they're not shown to actually be incompetent, they just haven't really had a chance to be competent yet?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WarLocke posted:

Idunno, there's Mike and Ike.

I mean, they're not shown to actually be incompetent, they just haven't really had a chance to be competent yet?

I thought Mike was super competent and top of his class, but Ike was a screwup who barely made the academy. I think they mentioned that one episode.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I thought Mike was super competent and top of his class, but Ike was a screwup who barely made the academy. I think they mentioned that one episode.

Right, but they haven't actually done anything in the show, for the most part. We're told that Mike is a great agent and chafing at having to babysit Brian, but that's all the character has done so far.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

WarLocke posted:

Right, but they haven't actually done anything in the show, for the most part. We're told that Mike is a great agent and chafing at having to babysit Brian, but that's all the character has done so far.

They helped out when they were cleaning up the FBI's top ten most wanted, but Ike was indeed a screw up.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WarLocke posted:

Yeah it has been a bit of tell, not show. But Ike also took a bullet for Mike, which makes me believe Ike knows he isn't as good and wants to prove himself. Or maybe he thought that the team could go on without him, but not Mike, which is :smith:

also Ike probably wore the cardigan under the leather jacket, or vice versa

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Limitless is legitimately a very clever show, and I'm glad it's back.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
The writers are on NZT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Where was Mike this past episode anyways, did they say?

• Locked thread