Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BabeLiker90 posted:

I'm sensing some tension brewing.

Everyone take a moment to just chill out. Stretch, think about a song you like, eat a bagel.

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Anyway, my vote on Podima is for a scummy post but I've also found it counterproductive to assume someone else is "deflecting" on day 1 and such. It can lead to mishangs pretty easily, not a fan of going down that route. The omission may have been innocent or it may have been because he's scum and only focusing on "town points of momentum/limelight" since scum naturally do that. I think if they were scum friends he would have mentioned my vote as something he disagreed with or agreed with. Scum get nervous about pressure on their teammates and often work in a light defense or bus, I find.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ridonkulous posted:

I had overlooked it. I get your point but I see it as fluff posting and not necessarily scummy. So as much as I do not agree with your vote I do not find it "scummy".

So are you saying that you were only listing votes you found suspicious when you were going over stuff earlier?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BabeLiker90 posted:

Anyway, my vote on Podima is for a scummy post but I've also found it counterproductive to assume someone else is "deflecting" on day 1 and such. It can lead to mishangs pretty easily, not a fan of going down that route. The omission may have been innocent or it may have been because he's scum and only focusing on "town points of momentum/limelight" since scum naturally do that. I think if they were scum friends he would have mentioned my vote as something he disagreed with or agreed with. Scum get nervous about pressure on their teammates and often work in a light defense or bus, I find.

Maybe. I find it worth discussing though, especially in light of my already raised suspicion on ridik based on his exchange with ixt.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist. I can pick one of you and fling you at the other camp, killing both people involved. I have to do it day 1 (clearly a thinning of the herd tactic by Ecco) so let me know who you're interested in me targeting.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BabeLiker90 posted:

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist. I can pick one of you and fling you at the other camp, killing both people involved. I have to do it day 1 (clearly a thinning of the herd tactic by Ecco) so let me know who you're interested in me targeting.

do you have an idea of who you're sending?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I was thinking Madman, Podima, or Birdstrike as of now. I'm open to suggestions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Personal taste would be to remove a lurker. I realize it's d1, and the thread opened yesterday, but d1 has another 75 hours to it and I think by then we should have a pretty clear indication of lurking vs not

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Well the logical answer would be to hit quandary :v:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Would that I could. My role specifically prohibits that for obvious reasons.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BabeLiker90 posted:

Would that I could. My role specifically prohibits that for obvious reasons.

don't kill welandonthemoon apparently he's attacking his own people over there :laffo:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

jesus christ the other thread is terrible

Merk would be a good bet cuz Merk I guess

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BabeLiker90 posted:

I'm betting this is a fakeclaim meant to stir up content, but I already answered this one:

Podima posted:

Looking over the other thread, I'd pick Quandary WeLandedOnTheMoon! in exchange for bowmore from our thread - I've seen him lurk like hell in other games, and all the other names I recognize seem to be people who don't lurk.

WLOTM has been actively scumhunting in the other thread and is an unknown quantity to me - and now that I catch up over there, he's just claimed a day attack power, which is pretty funny so I'd rather not kill him anymore. I'd rather kill TNL since he's pretty solid at scumhunting from what I've seen.

As far as your vote on me goes, I already said that I'm bad at jokephase and come off as awkward because that's just how I tend to post when town. If you look at my other games, I got d1 lynched as town in anidav's console wars game for similar reasons, but was much more confident and jokey in captain foo's wizard game. I'm still pretty new to mafia - this is like my third or fourth serious game - and haven't figured out a good town game yet.

Also, question because I haven't seen it in any other SA games before - what's the benefit of lights out voting as an option in this game? Wouldn't that basically be enabling a chain lynch?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems more valuable to talk about people to kill in our thread rather than what's going on in the other thread though? So my shortlist would be:

bowmore - history of lurking, has posted some but mostly focused on needling Kash and the ixt slapfight?
rascyc - no content whatsoever other than a gut vote
chic - as mentioned, hasn't posted a single time yet (F_V hinted there might be some IRL stuff going on?)
f_v - no content whatsoever other than snipey comments about other players' interactions (tmm/kash and ixt)

Killing people who won't produce content seems like a smarter move with that kind of ability - people who produce content can be hung upon it later.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Gamerofthegame posted:

maybe you should have waited until he had more then three content posts to use this argument

Maybe I should have? Sitting around waiting for other people to respond is significantly less fun than actually trying to case people. The fact that he replied with a case on Gwyn, to me, was enough to justify sharing my rationale.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lights out gives the ability to thin things out quickly and if you're 100% sure you've found scum, lights out can let you lynch scum while also giving you the ability to do real scumhunting and disallow the scum that night action before trying to find another.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Gamerofthegame posted:

##unvote I guess

This pings me real bad for some reason, I dunno. I need time to think on it, but Ridonkulous going full ham on Ixt and then letting go without ceremony after it's obvious no one is jumping in, yet spending so much time in the circlejerk.

And also never actually voting on him. It strikes me as Bad, but in the same breathe it seems like such a stupid play for scum to do immediately at game start that it seems unlikely to amount to anything and I DON'T LIKE IT I'M AMBIVALENT SEND HELP

##vote Ridonkulous the most scummy right now with this argument I guess but I dunno I really would like a ~~~second opinion~~~

Feels overwrought

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Dominoes posted:

Go on: do you think it's scummy, pointless, or something else?

Scummy, duh. It hedges in Kash and backs of in a way that doesn't feel town to me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EXAKT Science posted:

Scummy, duh. It hedges in Kash and backs of in a way that doesn't feel town to me

:question:

I got more of a joke vibe from that post idk.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Hi I'm here in the thread posting.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Geez you guys are impatient!

In my limited number of games with TMM, my read on his meta is that when he is town, he tends to come off as more defensive and argumentative*, especially when people accuse him of being scum. When he is scum, he adapts a more polite and cooperative tone and doesn't really engage in all-out arguing with people.

I wanted to at least give TMM time to react before explaining my thought process. My thought is that a town TMM would have OMGUS'ed me 100% of the time. The fact that he ignored it and instead moved on to other cases makes me think he's trying to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to himself, which I see a scum tell.

Yeah, it's a meta case based on a small sample size, but so far it's my strongest read.

*(this isn't meant as a personal criticism as I quite enjoy playing with TMM, just me trying to find scum)

I just wanted to take a minute to laugh at this reasoning.

First of all, I knew this was exactly what MMT was going to use as her reason for voting me which is why I didn't bother to address her. I find it hilarious because I was basically asked to play nice in the sign up thread and now that I'm playing nice you want to hang me for it.

Second, usually I get argumentative when I'm vanilla town because I have to create my own fun. I am generally more relaxed in the first couple of days when I have an actual role.

Third, why would I bother attacking a single vote on me when 13 votes are needed for a lynch? Scum like to put pressure on me because I often end up being aggressive in my defense and they use that aggression to distract town from their play. Your vote was bad, but I would have been more interested in people jumping on the vote after you. I don't know why people keep trying to perpetuate the idea that I vigorously call everyone who votes for me scum when that just isn't true at all. And it's especially true in the bigger games like this one.

I don't know if MMT is scum, but I think she is using some faulty reasoning to vote me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dominoes posted:

Mafia philosophy: You're not in danger of being lynched. Do you think it's useful to question someone's vote for you for its own sake?

Possible reasons:
- You think Kash is scum, [partially?] because of his unsubstantiated vote
- You'd like to continue discussion and solicit responses from other people so you (and others) can judge their alignments
- You didn't have a good reason, and raised the question instinctively, perhaps out of curiosity or annoyance
- You think it's worth defending your case, should others follow Kash's vote
- Other
What was the idea of listing possible answers alongside your question here?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Podima posted:

It seems more valuable to talk about people to kill in our thread rather than what's going on in the other thread though? So my shortlist would be:

bowmore - history of lurking, has posted some but mostly focused on needling Kash and the ixt slapfight?
rascyc - no content whatsoever other than a gut vote
chic - as mentioned, hasn't posted a single time yet (F_V hinted there might be some IRL stuff going on?)
f_v - no content whatsoever other than snipey comments about other players' interactions (tmm/kash and ixt)

Killing people who won't produce content seems like a smarter move with that kind of ability - people who produce content can be hung upon it later.

Wont no posters be replaced? So someone like chic would probably get replaced by someone who will catch up, but someone who is lurking or shitposting f_v would be my choice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got lots of responding to do in no particular order so starting here:

CapitalistPig posted:

I had a night 0 cop investigation and ixtlilton is scum

##vote ixt

Why would've you investigated Ixt out of all people?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gwynplaine posted:

It's day one and all I can think about is battle.

I'll follow you, brother, until I have my own ideas.

##vote BabeLiker90

Brother?

Gwynplaine posted:

Doesn't matter if our leader thinks I'm scum anyways.

It's fair enough, really. People who have never played a game with me always think I'm scum.

I'm just weird and eager.

You're neither nor. You've just chained a vote for no real reason than other what I can assume is a history with birdstrike, and your eager to actually kill discussion on D1 or either rendering moot by proposing a non-execution.

bowmore posted:

nah because your probably scum and you are too hard to read because you post scummy all the time
howdy

That's a bad reason.

tithin posted:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD EVENING DARLINGS AND GENTLE-DARLINGS

so of the reading I've done so far, the only suspicion I've picked up so far is someone with gamer in the nameso I'd need to read again now that I'm off my phone and on a PC

If it's because of his post voting Ridonkulous I get where your coming from. It's weird he wants a 2nd opinion on a D1 vote, most of which are based on gut or dumb reasons at best. I'd get it if he had more of a case or if the game were further along and he didn't want to toss his vote with abandon, but here there's very little to be lost voting out right.

EccoRaven posted:

Arrentish males are considered too irrational and unemotional, and have few civil and economic rights. Military enlistment is one of their sole paths for citizenship, though many in the Empire wish to change that status quo.

How is one considered to be irrationally stoic?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Murmur Twin posted:

Yeah, it's a meta case based on a small sample size, but so far it's my strongest read.

My sample size with TMM is just one game, but this isn't altogether unreasonable.

TMMadman posted:

I don't know if MMT is scum, but I think she is using some faulty reasoning to vote me.

I'd optimistically rather hope you've learned to mellow out a bit than be scum so this is good enough for me for now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BabeLiker90 posted:

I saw you mentioned this earlier. I'd opt for myself only because I know that while I'm a good soldier (bruiser in battle that can take a fair share of hits) I know that I'm otherwise not all that useful to the mafia meta game (let's say vanilla) and I'd rather give up a known quantity like that than risk losing someone that could be more useful. I haven't looked at the other thread at all though (and won't) and while merk is a 'good' option I hate that he has to always be forced to die early because of his fame and would rather just go with your own judgement or Max's.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

What was the idea of listing possible answers alongside your question here?
Those were the explanations I thought of; it gave Ridonk somewhere to start.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Doktor Per posted:

^^^^

I'm having a hard time with my joke vote, knowing I could joke vote here instead. gently caress. Everybody knows Ginger is where it's at.

##vote doktor per You could just post better? Forgoing your pointless joke vote?

This was a garbage post and it shouldn't just be passed over in the crowded field of posts we've had since the game started.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The problem with d1 meta cases is good luck trying to convince a majority of people to actually click your links, read them, draw the necessary parallels to current game, and then try to think how they could be different and come to your own conclusion. By the time that's happened, a hundred new posts have popped up and the thread has moved on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dominoes posted:

Those were the explanations I thought of; it gave Ridonk somewhere to start.
Why would you do that instead of just letting the person answer? It's not really scum hunting at that point, it reads like you already made up your mind.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on who from our thread should be catapulted, but I imagine they will all be the same. I will say nothing of who should be targeted in the other thread for painfully obvious reasons.

My personal tendency is to get rid of lurkers, but it's still quite early in day 1 right now to start poking people for that. If you're going to contribute to the thread then I'd rather not send you over the top via catapult.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Max posted:

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on who from our thread should be catapulted, but I imagine they will all be the same. I will say nothing of who should be targeted in the other thread for painfully obvious reasons.

My personal tendency is to get rid of lurkers, but it's still quite early in day 1 right now to start poking people for that. If you're going to contribute to the thread then I'd rather not send you over the top via catapult.

This was in response to 100yrs.

But why would you volunteer to be catapulted as town?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on who from our thread should be catapulted, but I imagine they will all be the same.

What do you mean by this?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lurkers instead of people that are posting.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Kash; you've posted a lot. Here's what I've got from you about suspicions:
-Murmur's vote on TMM is suspicious because she's unwilling to back up her vote with reasoning
-Birdstrike is more likely to be scum than Doktor, regarding votes on BabeLiker

Do you have any guesses of who the sum are.? Are there any players you'd defend if, accused? I ask because I'm more suspicious of you than of anyone else.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Counterpoint: Lurkers are you best bet of winning the ground war.

Reference: Starcraft: Brood War.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Max posted:

This was in response to 100yrs.

But why would you volunteer to be catapulted as town?

Like I said, I'm essentially vanilla, discounting my battle role, and unless we know who the scum is for sure I feel it's a bit of a crapshoot, and rather than risk shooting someone of actual importance better to go with a null choice in my opinion. It's especially due to the nature of the vig, it's not just killing someone in our game but rather an assault on there's, so that's the trade-off I see for it. If he was just weeding out only our thread then I think the circumstances are different since we need our town to stay alive, but here it's a 1:1 tradeoff so better send vanilla than risking a power role that we can still make use of.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Actually I want 100yrs to get tossed. Sounds like a big hail mary scum gambit to not get tossed imo because he's willing

I'm not entirely sure I'd vote on him for just that, not over others anyway, but if someone has to get tossed . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Doktor Per posted:

ugh, i asked to be in the cool people thread.
##vote BabeLiker90

This came before that weird joke vote post of his. What's up with the good Doktor?

• Locked thread