Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Meanwhile, the SA enginerring department was hard at work on the S.S. Unlubricated Noncosensual Intimate Encounter

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

drat Dirty Ape posted:

To be honest, I think it is going to get ugly no matter what happens. Even if Star Citizen turns out to be an expertly made video game(lol), it will still not be enough to meet the insane expectations the fanbase has for it. I mean, people get unreasonably angry over a normal $50 video game. What do you think they will do when they've sunk thousands of dollars into it? I'd feel bad for CIG for these insane expectations on a video game but it's pretty much all their fault.
If the game sucks it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons
If CIG goes bankrupt it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons
If the game is OK but people get their ships rammed it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons

CIG's in the clear here

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

"I'm not in a cult. YOU are!"

Touche reddit.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

:laffo: this is the funniest poo poo!

"Oh no bob's broken both of his hands" "Fffuck he's the only one who can develop everything, what do we do now?" *scratches head*

In unison : VAAA-CAATION! WOOO!

It was not even both hands, he broke one of his wrists falling off a bike.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Pack it in boys and girls, we've lost the moral high ground to the community that wants to stick razors in ovaries after a visit to the rape barn

Ah, what could have been had we simply used reasoned arguments instead of shitposts with this rational group of people

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beet Wagon posted:

That's my real actual hand caressing a real actual shark. I'd say I've got the position pretty much all locked up.

That's my avatars fetish.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have to understand, their passion isn't about a video game. It's about the dream associated with that video game heavily reinforced by a massive sunk cost fallacy. Comparisons to faith and religion aren't out of the question. Some people believe in Jesus, some people believe in thetans, and some people believe in Chris Roberts. This has been intentionally reinforced by a marketing scheme designed to focus on that connection and belief. CIG intentionally avoids revealing anything concrete about the game, keeping things as ephemeral and subjective as possible, so that backers will fill in the blanks with what they want the most and subsequently pay for it. That's why two different people can have two completely opposite views on the game and still fund it while expecting their dream to come true. An essential part of that dream is protecting it; the mental construct surrounding Star Citizen is incredibly fragile. That's why people are so aggressive in attacking dissent, and why CIG is so rigorous in purging "toxic" members from their forums. Doubt and faith cannot coexist. Everything must be explained in the narrative of the game progressing well. Frankly it's impressive how well CIG has done it, particularly with respect to vilifying Derek Smart. Instead of ignoring him they turned him into The Enemy, convincing backers that he's such a threat that they should give CIG money in spite of him. Every critic is an alt for Derek Smart. Every negative post an attempt to push his agenda. It's amazing.

Of course there's a very ugly, unpleasant downside to this. Those people really are expecting the most amazing game ever made, and at some point CIG is going to have to deliver it to them. If they deliver something unimpressive and lovely then backers might delude themselves for awhile, and then possibly quit, but there's also a possibility that they get angry. Eventually people will realize that it's not my fault, or Derek's fault, that the game isn't going to be what they dream of. They'll realize it's Chris, Ben, and Sandi's. Or worse yet they'll realize it's their own. How they react when they accept that is going to be incredibly interesting.

What's telling, at least to me, is the level to which negative opinions are silenced or verboten. Even just the tiniest bit of questioning a CIG decision or a dissenting opinion to the group-think is completely forbidden. There is ample evidence that this has been a longstanding policy, but it seems to me that it has gotten worse over the past few months. If you aren't on the "BEST drat GAME EVER" train and completely devoted to that line of thinking, there is no room for you in their "community". Further, they've created their own hierarchy, where the more you spend on the game the more respected you are within that community. While this is dangerous in any community, it's especially dangerous in the community of a game that hasn't even been released and has the most ridiculous and convoluted development process ever.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao that explains their incessant whining about Goons.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
What, they used to pay people to give them constructive criticism.

Then they fired them all.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

1500 posted:

It was not even both hands, he broke one of his wrists falling off a bike.

"But chris I need a doctor!"

"Shutup bob, use your feet!"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

"Oh no bob's broken both of his hands" "Fffuck he's the only one who can develop everything, what do we do now?" *scratches head*

There were people posting in this thread defending this. It was a fantastic time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/user/Alysianah

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Start from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=355&perpage=40#post452712190

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

TTerrible posted:

There were people posting in this thread defending this. It was a fantastic time.

Defending no update for 2 weeks cause a developer broke his wrist? or vacation? cause I thought I just made the vacation thing up for a joke haha

edit: reading the link now

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Unfunny Poster posted:

Lmao that explains their incessant whining about Goons.
I love how Tarkaroshe lauds Wesha for flaunting how much he's spent on his profile.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How is this even possible? OK, I didnt think that 2.0/2.1 were being worked on by Foundry UK. If they were then it really doesn't leave a lot of time for them to work on SQ42 which this communication sort of confirms. There is absolutely no way this is releasing in 2016, there is a very good chance it might not come out in 2017 either. But the best chance is that this isn't even coming out at all.

Squadron 42, if going by the revised plan (Single player only, no Multiplayer or drop in Co-Op, no economy, chapter 1 only, no ties witth SC) is a relatively simple game to do for the size CIG is now. Its just a 20-30h singleplayer Cryengine game with vehicules segments and mocap cutscenes. I would be surprised if they DONT manage to release it for november 2016 to drive the whales in a second feeding frenzy of Jpegs.

I bet a team of goons could swede a SQ42 equivalent using Unreal 4 and do it faster than CIG.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
it looks like sandy has a crystal skull bong on her desk

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzQ2CZsjEb4

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

wyoak posted:

If the game is OK but people get their ships rammed it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons

CIG's in the clear here

Nah the second the game actually officially releases the main antagonist will become CIG, and the players will get angry over every little change or things that don't get fixed. The honeymoon will have ended. It's how these things go.

Nicholas posted:

for reference:
Nah that's just Dan Akryod's Cyrstal Head Vodka: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Head_Vodka

My stealth edit was beaten!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 8, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nicholas posted:

That's skull vodka or tequila, an ~$80 bottle of liquor

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nicholas posted:

for reference:

It's a liquor bottle, I forget the brand but I've seen them before.

e: beaten, also forgetting the brand sounds rather silly now

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

death .cab for qt posted:

aw

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't know if Vanguard is the one you were talking about, but it's fans were really similar to Star Citizen fans but obviously on a much smaller scale. I was semi-part of a community for EQ back then that got obsessed with Vanguard, all going on and on and projecting their individual fantasies of how vanguard would be their ideal forever game.

I had literal death threats sent to me, one in the US mail because I said Brad McQuaid couldn't make a good game and was the driving force behind some of the worst decisions ever made at Verant/SOE.

Scary poo poo.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's what I assumed. And there's no way in hell I'm giving anyone access to my personal account. But outside of that I'm willing to try.

This is from a while back, but you could let them remote onto your computer with something like TeamViewer, and then show them the emails on your account.

Just change the session so they can't input things. I don't think there is anyway of editing something like that in real time.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

wyoak posted:

CIG's in the clear here

Not only is this absolutely hilarious, but this thread has managed to ruin SA for Star Citizens for DECADES.

The amount of hatred they have pushed onto anyone whos a goon is almost glorious. 20 years from now, we will be able to spot the whales when posts come up for some random space game "OMG! A space game! Its 2036 and its gonna be an amazing year for space game! Goons... oh god the goons... they are gonna goonruin my new space game D:! BAN THE GOONS *flashbacks to star citizen* *GOON ptsd kicks in* OH NO THEY ARE GONNA RAM MY SHIPS!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

death .cab for qt posted:

You can get it at BevMo for $45/750ml, it's really not that expensive as far as liquor goes. Hardly top shelf.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lol Derek putting Sandi on full blast on this stream right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znR3JvQJPMc

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Solvency posted:

I don't understand how Beer being banned of this is still a mystery unless everyone is just being coy.

Beer was likely banned because of the whole Vindicator/Sabre/Potato incident, and him posting the encrypted hash of the projected name of the ship which was given to him by Smart. They can't admit to this however, because there is nothing wrong with simply guessing the name of the ship. The REAL crux is that Smart claimed this to be from an inside source, and if correct would amount to proprietary information. They don't want to admit that Beer was correct in his guess for the same reason as they can't admit to Austin being downsized.

Furthermore, CIG can't say Austin was downsized because admitting to that would admit Smart was correct and likely has an inside source. This in itself would not be so terrible, if the Escapist hadn't also received leaks that CIG categorically denies. If they admit that Smart was right and has a source, it also is a tacit admission that they have a leak, and that same leak is likely a source for the infamous Escapist article. They REALLY don't want to admit to anything in that article, so they have to prove Smart wrong. Beer, by taking information from Smart and posting it, got himself mixed up in the tug of war between Smart and Roberts et al.

It's not a mystery to anyone except Sandi.

According to Patrick I was banned for precisely what you said:

quote:

Patrick Probst (Cloud Imperium Games)

Jan 5, 05:35

Hi [Beer]

Thanks for the mail and I am sorry I was not able to reply to you yesterday. I do hope you have had a most epic holiday!

I'm honestly a little surprised that you are not aware of what caused your permaban. I am not prepared (nor do I think it is a good idea) to discuss this in great detail but the final straw which caused the permanent exclusion from the forums was your collusion with one Derek Smart Esq.

You seemingly cooperated with him to spread secret information gained by questionable means. This could be construed as aiding and abetting corporate espionage

https://twitter.com/Beer4TheBeerGod/status/651797953183543297
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/651945987158712321
https://twitter.com/Beer4TheBeerGod/status/651494946231451649

I think this speaks for itself.

Your opinions and associations are, of course, your business and certainly your prerogative. Preventing your toxicity and malcontent being spread on the forums is, however, ours. All things considered we felt the forum is better of without you. As you are aware the normal 5 step process was circumvented given the serious nature of your actions.

This permaban will not be revoked. Your game access is, however, not affected.

Pertaining to your request to have upgrades removed, I am very sorry but applied upgrades are permanent and removing them is not a standard service request. You are also advised via a system message that applied upgrades are permanent. We do, of course, sometimes make exceptions when a genuine mistake occurred, which doesn't seem to be the case with you. In any case, with the current workload we really have to restrict exceptions.

An alternative (albeit less favourable for sure) would be to utilise the 'Buy Back' system. Technically speaking the buy back system exists to get back pledges you had previously melted but a side effect of this is that applied upgrades would not be restored with the base pledge. In a round about way, then, you could remove the upgrades yourself by melting the base pledge which has the upgrade applied and then buying it back (without the upgrade).

As I mentioned this is far from ideal as the buy back can not be actioned with store credits and you may loose limited availability upgrades, but I wanted to mention it.

I do hope this helps somewhat.

Regards
Patrick

But then Sandi said that's not the case:

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games (Cloud Imperium Games)

Jan 5, 15:56

Hi there,
I only just received this and no I don't believe it is appropriate to publish any of this. Also looking at Patrick's email, that is not why you were permabanned. I will have to track down the moderator who banned you and get the real reason.
Best,
Sandi

It should be noted that before that Sandi said a myriad of things about my ban:

quote:

December 24, 2015, 22:22

Hi [Beer],
I can't overturn that. Not sure what else to say.
Best,
Sandi

quote:

December 20, 2015, 13:16

HI [Beer],

I am not sure about the packages from November 4th. If someone is refunded and some ships have been gifted to them, those ships will stay in their accounts unless the parties make arrangements (not us). We cannot just gift it back to the person as we are un-authorized to do so. The original gifter may not want it back, may not have an account anymore etc....

Regarding your moderation, there is no way I can overturn this. I am completely outvoted by everyone and I have to respect that I am outvoted.

With regard to the discussion, I am confident the more I have to say are things you will not want to hear, nor likely to believe. A lot should also not be said and people need to have their privacy respected.

Sincerely,
Sandi

Of course Sandi isn't the only one who has an opinion on this. When asked about it David Swofford told William Usher that:

quote:

“I can tell you that the person in question violated our TOS and was banned for his behavior on the SC forums. Any further particulars for that ban are between CIG and our support staff."

But then Jared Huckaby was nice enough to provide a quote to INN:

quote:

“We value the privacy of our backers, and therefore cannot comment on any disciplinary actions taken against an account or person. “Perma-bans” as they’re referred to, while enforced by volunteer moderators, and can only be approved by CIG employee staff members, and as such are the purview of the Community Manager, Lead Moderator, and Director of Community Engagement only.”

“Nobody has ever been banned from our forums for activity outside of our own website, and I can’t imagine anyone ever would be. I’ve even gone so far as confirmed with our Community Director to confirm this for the time prior to my involvement with CIG. Frankly, we have no interest in policing the activity of our backers outside the confines of our own project. We’ve got plenty enough to do as it is.”

So as of right now:

- Sandi was outvoted when she tried to get me unbanned, but doesn't know why I was banned, but knows that I wasn't banned for what I said off-site, but has to find the moderator who banned me, even though only CIG staff can permaban people.

- Patrick thinks it's surprisingly obvious that I was banned for colluding with Derek Smart, and that my actions (potentially corporate espionage) were so egregious that they warranted bypassing their own internal five punishment process. To be clear my actions were more egregious than posting child pornography or graphic fan fiction featuring genital mutilation.

- David Swofford and Jared Huckaby are both certain that I was permanently banned for violating CIG's TOS and also exclusively for what I did on the forums. And in fact according to Jared nobody has ever been banned from the forums for activity outside CIG's own website. Including Derek Smart. Who says he never actually visited the forums.

- After three months of inquiry not a single CIG staff member is able to tell me what post I made on the forums that was so egregious, so toxic, so indescribably horrible, so much worse than child pornography that it justified bypassing their own punishment process to ban me for.

But yeah, it's pretty obvious I was banned for corporate espionage.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Good lord

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
woof I neeed a cigarette

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Woah he's on a rampage

Derek please release a recording I want to play some BF4 but this is too good :negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Star Shitizens ladies and gentlemen

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Jesus Christ

:stare:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Good Lord the venom that just drips from his voice is magical.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
10 million dollar game and gently caress off

:vince:

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Is that the same stream from a while back that was nothing but CIG circle-jerking? If so, I'll catch the highlights and spare the nails on the chalkboard.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Furious Mittens posted:

Is that the same stream from a while back that was nothing but CIG circle-jerking? If so, I'll catch the highlights and spare the nails on the chalkboard.

haven't heard any CIG fanatics so far.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Solid moderation is a cornerstone of /r/starcitizen :911:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

aleksendr posted:

Squadron 42, if going by the revised plan (Single player only, no Multiplayer or drop in Co-Op, no economy, chapter 1 only, no ties witth SC) is a relatively simple game to do for the size CIG is now. Its just a 20-30h singleplayer Cryengine game with vehicules segments and mocap cutscenes. I would be surprised if they DONT manage to release it for november 2016 to drive the whales in a second feeding frenzy of Jpegs.

I bet a team of goons could swede a SQ42 equivalent using Unreal 4 and do it faster than CIG.

Look at the games framework as it exist right now. The game is not stable, even if you remove the online and co-op component. Ships break apart for no reason, the physics are all hosed, people clip through everything, etc.

Now take into consideration this letter and the PC Gamer loving cover story not having absolutely anything concrete in it. Now take into consideration that it usually takes 3-4 months after a game is complete to just iron out the bugs. Now finally take into consideration the general aptitude displayed by CIG so far. What makes you actually think that the game is going to be out this year other than "making games isn't hard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Good God Derek :woof: gonna chew you out

• Locked thread