Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cythereal posted:

Each to their own, as I've been saying. I simply do not like the premise or the art direction for this game, and the new sectopod in particular looks goofy to me.

That's fair enough.

I really like how the arts changed because it seems everything has gone from being rounded off and soft to being jagged and hardened but I can see why people don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The total biscuit preview was linked earlier but I'm not sure if it was missed in all the beagle stream chat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLNE8VXDGU
Lots of good info about customization and the geoscape so far, including a few things I hadn't seen before. I'm a bit upset you can't change your starting area any more, but you can still spread out in different directions. I also spotted an Arc sword for the ranger, which does bonus damage and has a chance to stun enemies, although I think it's just a combat debuff rather than a capture.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I just realized...its kind of redundant to give the class with the shotgun the sword right? They're both close quarters single-target weapons? I assume, like the new Sniper class, the skill trees will distinguish themselves a little bit and they'll have different skills tailored to each type.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mike N Eich posted:

I just realized...its kind of redundant to give the class with the shotgun the sword right? They're both close quarters single-target weapons? I assume, like the new Sniper class, the skill trees will distinguish themselves a little bit and they'll have different skills tailored to each type.

In Beagle's stream, he noted that the sword does a lot of damage but suffers from unreliable accuracy. The shotgun does less damage but is much more accurate and has better range.

On low difficulties it probably won't matter much, but on higher difficulties they're much more applicable to different jobs - the sword does more damage, the shotgun is safer and more reliable.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh yikes, base defence video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImS1LcidsM

And Psi troop details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE_JSqLt0Y

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Psi powers:

Stasis: Stuns an enemy for one turn, but the target cannot be damaged in any way.

Inspire: Grants an additional action to a squadmate within sight range (but not LOS).

Stasis Shield: Same as Stasis, but can be cast on squadmates rather than enemies.

Sustain: If the psi-operative suffers enough damage to kill them, the operative is instead dropped to 1 health and receives a Stasis Shield for one turn.

Fortress: Makes the operative immune to fire, acid, poison, and explosions.

Domination: Mind control. Permanent, but can only succeed once per mission.

Void Rift: Lingering area of effect damage, organic enemies have a chance to go insane (see next skill).

Insanity: Inflicts random debuffs on the enemy, including mind control.

Soulfire: Inflicts guaranteed damage to organic enemies, ignoring cover and armor.

Soul Steal: Same as soulfire, but returns half the damage dealt to the operative as health.

Solace: Passive aura that blocks and cleanses mental debuffs on troopers within 4 tiles of the operative.

Schism: Same as insanity, but deals damage as well and shreds the target.

Fuse: Remotely detonates any explosives an enemy is carrying. Even works on corpses that still have explosives on them.

Null Lance: Projects a beam on the map that pierces cover, terrain, and multiple enemies to deal damage.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Psi powers:
Fuse: Remotely detonates any explosives an enemy is carrying. Even works on corpses that still have explosives on them.
A lot of these abilities have potential but for some reason this is the one that seems most devious to me :getin:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Gaussian posted:

A lot of these abilities have potential but for some reason this is the one that seems most devious to me :getin:

I couldn't agree more!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gaussian posted:

Obviously this will destroy the meta because now im not allowed to have any explosives and

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Mike N Eich posted:

Rangers can use rifles too I'm pretty sure. It's the only class that actually gets to choose from two primary weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. The base defense doesn't seem to actually take place inside the Avenger. Instead the ship is grounded, and you need to simultaneously push across the map to destroy the Disruptor grounding the ship while preventing any aliens from boarding the ship. Bradford will continue to send out reinforcements - including wounded soldiers from the medbay.

Edit: Also, sending out your gremlin to hack enemies doesn't make them hostile or even activate packs you've sighted but not activated.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 8, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Except when it activates 2 packs for some reason :ohdear:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Edit: Also, sending out your gremlin to hack enemies doesn't make them hostile or even activate packs you've sighted but not activated.

Except when they do...

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Ceramic Shot posted:

Rangers can use rifles too I'm pretty sure. It's the only class that actually gets to choose from two primary weapons.

Assaults could use rifles too in XCom EU, but I didn't do that much

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mike N Eich posted:

Assaults could use rifles too in XCom EU, but I didn't do that much

I do. Assaults are a class I like to double up on for my primary squad in EU, giving one a shotgun and one a rifle. Both are useful.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Although shotgun-assaults were essential to any squad, you could build some pretty tanky rifle-assaults for that sweet, sweet reliable kills. The Long War mod just made Rifle-Assaults into their own class as Infantry.

But the alternative tree for Rangers seems to be focused on stealth and scouting. Wonder how they play with a rifle...

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm pretty impressed with what the Bladestorm/Untouchable/Reaper ranger can do in the base defence mission :stare:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I do. Assaults are a class I like to double up on for my primary squad in EU, giving one a shotgun and one a rifle. Both are useful.

Rapid Fire/Aggression Rifle Assaults in EU/EW are amazing. They can reliably hit and crit enemies through cover or flank from max range without risking their own exposure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

amanasleep posted:

Rapid Fire/Aggression Rifle Assaults in EU/EW are amazing. They can reliably hit and crit enemies through cover or flank from max range without risking their own exposure.

This is what I use them for. My standard squad setup in EU/EW is two assaults (one shotgun, one rifle), two snipers (one ITZ, one double tap), a support, and a heavy. MECs I've actually found of limited value later in the game. A great early game crutch, but I prefer a fully gene modded squad around the time I take on the Overseer.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
A mech with healing mist and expanded ammo can do some healing support while also providing enough murder power that you can wipe pods fast enough not to need too much healing.

Oh, and another continent bonus I saw in Beagle's stream was To Serve Mankind (recruits cost 10 supplies instead of 35).

Edit: Also Lock and Load (personal combat sims and weapon upgrades can be reused)

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 8, 2016

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

This is what I use them for. My standard squad setup in EU/EW is two assaults (one shotgun, one rifle), two snipers (one ITZ, one double tap), a support, and a heavy. MECs I've actually found of limited value later in the game. A great early game crutch, but I prefer a fully gene modded squad around the time I take on the Overseer.

Colonel Assault MEC-1 with Absorption Fields is too tanky to pass up.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

LightWarden posted:

A mech with healing mist and expanded ammo can do some healing support while also providing enough murder power that you can wipe pods fast enough not to need too much healing.

Oh, and another continent bonus I saw in Beagle's stream was To Serve Mankind (recruits cost 10 supplies instead of 35).

"The XCOM training manual, IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!!"

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I can't wait to have my Magus cast Soulfire. :smugwizard:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

amanasleep posted:

Colonel Assault MEC-1 with Absorption Fields is too tanky to pass up.

I play with the mentality of "If I'm thinking about tanking hits as a regular thing, my decision making has screwed up somewhere." It's why I bring two snipers as a rule: one executioner/in the zone, one opportunist/double tap.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Can't wait to play the new psi class. I'm glad my wish of the psionics system getting revamped came true and then some.

[e] I wonder if silenced weapons are a thing. Like, you can pick off enemies outside the site range of their allies during the stealth bits but they do less damage than regular guns.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

It looks like sword damage is similar to shotgun damage without the Blademaster perk. Going down the sword side of the tree significantly buffs the sword with more damage and abilities, so the shotgun becomes a backup weapon for range. There's an ability which lets you chain melee kills indefinitely for a turn (with decreasing damage per hit) which gets used to amazing effect in the base defense video.

On the other side of the tree, the sword stays available as a last-ditch melee weapon and the Ranger becomes a forward scout/point man like the EU Assault, with Concealment bonuses on top. And you can apparently use rifles on either instead, although I haven't actually seen this in any videos.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some of the psi abilities make them tanky as HELL. I like it. Immunity to environmental damage, immunity to mental debuffs (and cleansing others they pass nearby), survive death once per mission, all good.

I wonder if the immunity to explosions means they don't need to worry about cars blowing up next to them. If so... :getin:

EDIT: Some other guy ran an XCOM 2 stream in Spanish and wasn't under the NDA for showing cutscenes...nothing too earthshaking, it's just that the tutorial mission is rescuing the Commander from stasis. Who is of course wearing a full-body concealing spacesuit.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 8, 2016

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

DrManiac posted:

[e] I wonder if silenced weapons are a thing. Like, you can pick off enemies outside the site range of their allies during the stealth bits but they do less damage than regular guns.

Nah, no silenced weapons. Garth in one of the videos I watched confirmed that. It's basically just escalating from concealment to loud as the mechanic.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Maybe it's only me, but from the videos I've seen, the icons for detected aliens are way too tiny and hard to see. I really hope there is a way to make that larger, and move it away from the bottom middle.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
I want to try a team of 5 phantom rangers and a sharpshooter. Go maximum gorilla warfare.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Watching the base defense video - it looks like with the sword you can dash and kill someone without spending an action, which is really nice.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I'm a little disappointed that the 5th class is "just" psi-ops. I'm still watching the video about them, but I was hoping for something a little more surprising. It's totally reasonable and in-line with the series of course (duh!) but I was holding out for something like a captured/brainwashed sectoid class or something else really unique and unexpected.

It seems a little strange that they level up inside the base instead of on the battlefield, though, unless I'm totally misinterpreting their training method.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colapops posted:

It seems a little strange that they level up inside the base instead of on the battlefield, though, unless I'm totally misinterpreting their training method.

That's what it sounds like: you put the operative in the psi lab, and measure their rank advancement in days spent in the labs, with powers having a chance to develop each stint in the labs.

The video also says that psi powers are randomized: everyone gets Stasis, but beyond that it's unpredictable which powers your operatives will get, though given enough time and resources an operative will eventually learn every power.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Having finished the psi-op video I am still bummed that it's not something truly new, BUT at the same time it makes psionic soldiers look more versatile and powerful than ever. Some of those powers are really, really cool and seem super useful. In Enemy Unknown/Within psionic stuff was cool but sometimes it felt a little dull.

That said, the psionic focus/amp seems pretty goofy. I think I'd rather the psychics go full on DBZ or Professor X than using little mind-vices.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Colapops posted:

Having finished the psi-op video I am still bummed that it's not something truly new, BUT at the same time it makes psionic soldiers look more versatile and powerful than ever. Some of those powers are really, really cool and seem super useful. In Enemy Unknown/Within psionic stuff was cool but sometimes it felt a little dull.

That said, the psionic focus/amp seems pretty goofy. I think I'd rather the psychics go full on DBZ or Professor X than using little mind-vices.

If we get a "glowing white hair" customization option I know I'm using it for psi-ops.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

-Dethstryk- posted:

Nah, no silenced weapons. Garth in one of the videos I watched confirmed that. It's basically just escalating from concealment to loud as the mechanic.

I could've swore I saw a silencer on a rifle on beagle's stream yesterday. During the mission where one guy gets stuck on a roof after it blows up. Maybe it was a barrel extension?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Odobenidae posted:

I could've swore I saw a silencer on a rifle on beagle's stream yesterday. During the mission where one guy gets stuck on a roof after it blows up. Maybe it was a barrel extension?

Probably one of the mods, yeah. Garth was pretty clear about there not being a silent weapon ability.

Though now I hope some DLC is some stealthy mission types where exactly that is an option.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

-Dethstryk- posted:

Probably one of the mods, yeah. Garth was pretty clear about there not being a silent weapon ability.

Though now I hope some DLC is some stealthy mission types where exactly that is an option.

Given that most of the aliens are psionic and according to research from Beagle's stream they're all linked into a subconscious neural network I doubt stealth kills will ever be a thing. Maybe suppressors to make it hard for them to figure out where you are, but no undetectable takedowns.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Wow, agreed, the little Psi Enhancer Gun device thing is really silly. They should have kept them just using their brain/hands/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

There was a repeater on one of his weapons. It looked vaguely like a futuristic silencer, but it gave a tiny percentile chance to instantly kill an enemy.

• Locked thread