Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you have some kind of supernatural ability to see the world in slow motion or something you probably could dodge well enough to beat the 4 Kings as your third boss, but I really just don't think it's even possible for normal humans. Not without some seriously min-maxed equipment/stats, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sl1 runs are a thing you know

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, but at the point where you would normally beat the 4 Kings you have access to much heavier armor, much more powerful pyromancy, and +15/lightning/fire weapon reinforcement. Your soul level doesn't really matter anymore at that point. You don't have any of those if you do them right out of the gate.

edit: The most you could do, if you start pyromancer and take the master key, is go to Blighttown and walk up it backwards until you get Power Within, then go to the catacombs and get the Gravelord Sword. Then you kill the titanite demons outside of the coffin and Andre's and upgrade it. That will give you probably the highest base damage you can get at that point in the game. If you pick up the Elite Knight set (or the stone set) and the wolf ring while you're on your way to kill Sif, that'll give you enough poise to not get stumbled by one attack at once.

Come to think of it, using that method it actually probably is possible, but it's really not worth doing unless you like the personal challenge.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 9, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Took down quelag in one shot, but now I can't stop falling off the drat water wheel. I took like 10 reruns up it because I kept falling at a different area higher up and retrieving my souls, then I double-died and now I seem to have a blockage about jumping off the stupid elevator.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I got Ornstein and Smough in one shot!

And by "I", I mean "shirtless dude with a giant hammer and chick in pointy witch hat who killed Smough while I stood around blocking (and plinking) Ornstein, and did 75% of the work on Ornstein while I threw fireballs and chugged flasks". Thanks, folks! It was actually pretty darn fun despite being easier on me than it had any right to be, I can see how that fight could be real exciting alone / with a brainless sun paladin as your only friend.

Maybe someday I'll do it the real way.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK, these snake guys in Sen's are really hard to parry. I don't quite have enough STR for the Iaito. Maybe I'll just farm the two at the entrance for a couple levels.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I finally managed to save Solaire in a playthrough! I hope my bestest buddy finds his Sun one day :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Man, I should probably head back and do gaping dragon to get some levels before I go into Sen's.

My number one priority is to get to dark stalker kaathe to get the invisible hand. I have a great method of skipping 80% of New Londo to do it (15 percent is getting the water level down).

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

CJacobs posted:

Yes, but at the point where you would normally beat the 4 Kings you have access to much heavier armor, much more powerful pyromancy, and +15/lightning/fire weapon reinforcement. Your soul level doesn't really matter anymore at that point. You don't have any of those if you do them right out of the gate.

Come to think of it, using that method it actually probably is possible, but it's really not worth doing unless you like the personal challenge.

If you beat Capra you can get the large ember, and you get the very large ember from New Londo. You can farm large shards at the bottom of Blighttown and chunks/slabs in New Londo. If you beat Queelag you can make a chaos weapon, though upgrading is a pain (worm things in Demon Ruins drop red chunks, I think the only way to get a slab pre-lord vessel is trade a pyromancy hand with the crows). So you can fully upgrade stuff just by beating Capra and maybe Queelag if you want a chaos weapon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

OK, these snake guys in Sen's are really hard to parry. I don't quite have enough STR for the Iaito. Maybe I'll just farm the two at the entrance for a couple levels.
They're not exactly hard to parry, it's just that if you gently caress up a parry you're going to take a ton of damage. Also you can't parry their bite attack.

I recommend parrying the thrust, and blocking the slashes and bites.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was curious, so I tried it, and I actually managed to do it with the exact method I listed, it only took an hour or so.

And I recorded it!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If you beat Capra you can get the large ember, and you get the very large ember from New Londo. You can farm large shards at the bottom of Blighttown and chunks/slabs in New Londo. If you beat Queelag you can make a chaos weapon, though upgrading is a pain (worm things in Demon Ruins drop red chunks, I think the only way to get a slab pre-lord vessel is trade a pyromancy hand with the crows). So you can fully upgrade stuff just by beating Capra and maybe Queelag if you want a chaos weapon.

Right, but that's not the same thing as doing it straight out of the gate, without fighting any of the other bosses in general, which is what I am talking about.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 9, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, how is one supposed to beat Bed of Chaos without a high-stability shield? Can you even dodge its arm sweeps?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, how is one supposed to beat Bed of Chaos without a high-stability shield? Can you even dodge its arm sweeps?

The Bed of Chaos' arms are solid objects, so you can't dodge through them, but you can avoid taking damage from them via i-frames and also dodge through the hands. The easiest way I've found to do it is to bait out the vertical smack, and then make a run for it while the hand is on the upswing. That way you can get back to the middle before it starts another attack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

God drat, what a terrible fight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
it is bad, yes. If you want you can cheap it out real easy by just saving and quitting, which plops you down outside the fog gate. Your progress in the fight is saved between deaths or sessions, thankfully. That way you only have to make one run to each side and then one to the middle, which reduces your chance of death about 2%.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I find the final run up the middle really hard, personally. Just can't stick that landing easily. But yeah, it could be much worse. They basically ran out of time, IIRC.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

The way I eventually was able to do it this time was to bait out the left hand right hand combo and time it so I'd be making the jump at the end of the right hand animation. It was still insanely close, then I got hit with the pyro spell while I was breaking through the branches on the bottom with brought me to, no joke, under 5% health. But I finally got that fucker. That whole area is definitely the nadir of the entire series. It's too bad because it is a cool concept, Angkor Wat in Tree Hell, but yeah, I would literally rather fight a fuckin mattress then that bullshit.

On a positive note, this was the first run I did where I found the Great Hollow and Ash Lake, two super cool areas. Interesting how similar it looks to the hunters dream in BB.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're having trouble with BoC, I strongly recommend looking up a Youtube video or stream of someone doing the boss in one go. There is very little randomness to the fight, so once you know the pattern it's relatively easy to do it consistently, but having to figure out said pattern all by yourself is a major pain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXt0jyD9fQI
(it might still be processing)

Well, here it is. Basically to do this you need:

- Pyromancy Flame (taken via class)
- Master Key (starting gift)
- Gravelord Sword
- 2 Demon Titanites (gotten from killing the demon near Andre's workshop and the one by the teleport coffin)
- Elite Knight Set (or Stone set if you want)
- Wolf ring or Havel's ring
- Power Within
- About 20,000-ish souls from any source

The video shows the whole process and the relative amount of time it takes to set it up, which is not very long. In reality it took me an hour and a half counting my deaths to the 4 Kings, but I've edited it down appropriately. Skip to 42:50 if you want to see the fight. This was done without killing any bosses and with very minimal grinding which could've been nixed entirely if I hadn't died and lost some souls.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is the only game in my steam library that doesn't recognize my DS4 and it's driving me nuts trying all these work arounds. Playing Dark Souls with the steam controller is horrible.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fuligin posted:

This is the only game in my steam library that doesn't recognize my DS4 and it's driving me nuts trying all these work arounds. Playing Dark Souls with the steam controller is horrible.

https://inputmapper.com/

this owns

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This looks like it owns, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks for the link.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Is 40 a weird level to take on Sif? I can't get a bite going for coop at all.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I just came back and beat Sif later when I was leveled up. I never saw anyone doing any coop at Sif due to the pvp forest being right there.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Dude, you could take sif on easy at 20. Just stay behind his front legs the entire time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I beat Bed of Chaos on my sorcerer by taking off every piece of equipment except my rapier, Black Knight Shield +5 and Mask of the Child.

I'm still not sure how one can do it without a high-stability shield.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can do it without being touched by the tree. i didnt even use a shield

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FactsAreUseless posted:

I beat Bed of Chaos on my sorcerer by taking off every piece of equipment except my rapier, Black Knight Shield +5 and Mask of the Child.

I'm still not sure how one can do it without a high-stability shield.

Super easy way to beat bed of chaos is to strike the right shield with a sword, then rush back to mid. Snipe the left shield with a bow, then wait until bed of chaos swipes with both hands and run and jump slightly to the left.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did they change the Solaire quest line in a patch? What's happening to me doesn't match the wikis I can find at all. He's supposed to attack you outside the Bed of Chaos door, but that hasn't happened to me on either playthrough, even though I haven't saved him. I just meet him at the first Lost Izalith bonfire saying he can't find something. Did I save him accidentally somehow? This has been the same both times I've played.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

iirc that is his saved state yeah. did you clear out the shortcut?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did they change the Solaire quest line in a patch? What's happening to me doesn't match the wikis I can find at all. He's supposed to attack you outside the Bed of Chaos door, but that hasn't happened to me on either playthrough, even though I haven't saved him. I just meet him at the first Lost Izalith bonfire saying he can't find something. Did I save him accidentally somehow? This has been the same both times I've played.

It's the door that links Demon Ruins w/ the backend of Lost Izalith, which can only open through the Chaos Servant covenant. It's where you find the Sunlight Maggot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Awesome! posted:

iirc that is his saved state yeah. did you clear out the shortcut?
Nope. Never even joined the covenant. I did kill the spider lady both times before Lost Izalith for her Fire Keeper Soul, does that save him?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zophar posted:

It's the door that links Demon Ruins w/ the backend of Lost Izalith, which can only open through the Chaos Servant covenant. It's where you find the Sunlight Maggot.
Yeah, I've never opened it, and the wikis are saying he should show up wearing that in Lost Izalith, then attack you. Both time he just sits by the bonfire going "I don't understand, where is it" or similar. I haven't seen him past that point, but I've never tried summoning him for Gwyn either.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've also never gone back to the Bed of Chaos boss door after winning the fight. Once I leave Lost Izalith I never return, because gently caress that. Does he only show up after you break the bed?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's odd. Was the bug that drops the Sunlight Maggot still running around that area near Solaire?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Raxivace posted:

That's odd. Was the bug that drops the Sunlight Maggot still running around that area near Solaire?
No idea. I've never been in the area it's supposed to be or seen it. Solaire was sitting at the bonfire outside Lost Izalith both times I got there. (The very first one, not the one in the second tower).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It sounds like you're a little confused then. The area with the bugs is like five feet away where Solaire is supposed to attack you, past a bit with one of those big enemies with staffs, tails, and no heads. That's where he also mopes out really bad if he's saved.

He'll specifically mention that the idea of his sun may have been a lie if he's saved.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 9, 2016

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

FactsAreUseless posted:

No idea. I've never been in the area it's supposed to be or seen it. Solaire was sitting at the bonfire outside Lost Izalith both times I got there. (The very first one, not the one in the second tower).

That's your issue. Solaire only goes crazy if you try to go down the shortcut path from the Lost Izalith side. If you do, he'll be standing there with the Sunlight Maggot on his head and start attacking you when you get close.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

:tipshat:

Thanks for this, CJacobs - very impressive showing. I'm also enjoying your casual-commentary LP. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think i'm way overfarmed for my level. People keep invading me but their backstabs only do like 1/10th of my bar, and I can kill them in two +5 lightning claymore light hits.

Where should I go first after beating O+S?

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread