Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Geez you guys are impatient!

In my limited number of games with TMM, my read on his meta is that when he is town, he tends to come off as more defensive and argumentative*, especially when people accuse him of being scum. When he is scum, he adapts a more polite and cooperative tone and doesn't really engage in all-out arguing with people.

I wanted to at least give TMM time to react before explaining my thought process. My thought is that a town TMM would have OMGUS'ed me 100% of the time. The fact that he ignored it and instead moved on to other cases makes me think he's trying to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to himself, which I see a scum tell.

Yeah, it's a meta case based on a small sample size, but so far it's my strongest read.

*(this isn't meant as a personal criticism as I quite enjoy playing with TMM, just me trying to find scum)

Hmmm. I'm not sure I've played in a scum game of TMM's. But I remember him jumping on second and third voters of him viciously where he is town. "Second vote scum vote" etc. So I'm not 100% sure I agree with your meta thing. But I can see where you are coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm traveling today - tomorrow morning, so only phone posting from me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Gamerofthegame posted:

maybe you should have waited until he had more then three content posts to use this argument

I'm pretty sure you were just jumping on her for not posting reasoning, so for you to then say this seems weird. Can you clarify?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BabeLiker90 posted:

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist. I can pick one of you and fling you at the other camp, killing both people involved. I have to do it day 1 (clearly a thinning of the herd tactic by Ecco) so let me know who you're interested in me targeting.

This is neat. I hope it's real.

Catapult one of the bottom 5 posters when the time comes.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BabeLiker90 posted:

I was thinking Madman, Podima, or Birdstrike as of now. I'm open to suggestions.

Or one of your top scum picks based on content I guess.

But meh, we should just vote for those if they are posting. We'll never vote for any scum near the bottom of the post list. They always escape notice.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

Personal taste would be to remove a lurker. I realize it's d1, and the thread opened yesterday, but d1 has another 75 hours to it and I think by then we should have a pretty clear indication of lurking vs not

:hfive:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
KB stop stealing my gimmick

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Gamerofthegame posted:

jesus christ the other thread is terrible

Merk would be a good bet cuz Merk I guess

I should really try to set aside some time to read the other thread.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Max posted:

I'm traveling today - tomorrow morning, so only phone posting from me.

pretty scummy imo

:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Doktor Per (2): 100YrsofAttitude, Podima
Ridonkulous (2): Kashuno, Gamerofthegame
TMMadman (2): Murmur Twin, BabeLiker90
bowmore (2): Tommunist, Rascyc
King Burgundy (1): CapitalistPig
Dominoes (1): Gamerofthegame, Birdstrike, -Birdstrike, -Gamerofthegame, Rarity
Ixtlilton (1): CapitalistPig, -CapitalistPig, bowmore
CapitalistPig (1): King Burgundy
BabeLiker90 (1): Doktor Per, Birdstrike, Gwynplaine, -Birdstrike, -Doktor Per
Kashuno (0): TMMadman, bowmore, -bowmore, -TMMadman
Podima (0): BabeLiker90, -BabeLiker90
Gwynplaine (0): Max, -Max

Not Voting (12): Birdstrike, Chic Trombone, Doktor Per, Dominoes, EXAKT Science, fiery_valkyrie, Ixtlilton, Max, Ridonkulous, tithin, TMMadman, VivaNova

:h: With 25 players alive, it takes 13 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is January 11th, 2016 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 5 hours.

The Arrentish pantheon has three goddesses: Love, Death, and Wisdom. They believe Love and Death coupled and birthed Wisdom, who in turn birthed the trees and flora, who in turn birthed Humanity.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

It seems more valuable to talk about people to kill in our thread rather than what's going on in the other thread though? So my shortlist would be:

bowmore - history of lurking, has posted some but mostly focused on needling Kash and the ixt slapfight?
rascyc - no content whatsoever other than a gut vote
chic - as mentioned, hasn't posted a single time yet (F_V hinted there might be some IRL stuff going on?)
f_v - no content whatsoever other than snipey comments about other players' interactions (tmm/kash and ixt)

Killing people who won't produce content seems like a smarter move with that kind of ability - people who produce content can be hung upon it later.

This post is confusing, in part, because of the people left off of your list. I can't see what the post counts were at this point, but there are some people that are still showing up on the bottom right this moment that you didn't mention at all like Cpig and Dok? Why did they escape your notice? Can you tell me about the amazing content they had generated at this point?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ridonkulous posted:

Wont no posters be replaced? So someone like chic would probably get replaced by someone who will catch up, but someone who is lurking or shitposting f_v would be my choice.

Doesn't seem to happen that often. And when it does, it can still be days before we get anything out of the new poster because they are "catching up" or "it's a lot to read".

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I saw you mentioned this earlier. I'd opt for myself only because I know that while I'm a good soldier (bruiser in battle that can take a fair share of hits) I know that I'm otherwise not all that useful to the mafia meta game (let's say vanilla) and I'd rather give up a known quantity like that than risk losing someone that could be more useful. I haven't looked at the other thread at all though (and won't) and while merk is a 'good' option I hate that he has to always be forced to die early because of his fame and would rather just go with your own judgement or Max's.

This seems like a tremendously bad idea. Why would you offer yourself up when you are the only person whose alignment you know? Just for a chance at hitting someone favorable in the other thread? I'm not sure that this is actually scummy, since I can't see the scum motivation behind it, but it doesn't seem well thought out.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

##vote doktor per You could just post better? Forgoing your pointless joke vote?

This was a garbage post and it shouldn't just be passed over in the crowded field of posts we've had since the game started.

I like this, though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Like I said, I'm essentially vanilla, discounting my battle role, and unless we know who the scum is for sure I feel it's a bit of a crapshoot, and rather than risk shooting someone of actual importance better to go with a null choice in my opinion. It's especially due to the nature of the vig, it's not just killing someone in our game but rather an assault on there's, so that's the trade-off I see for it. If he was just weeding out only our thread then I think the circumstances are different since we need our town to stay alive, but here it's a 1:1 tradeoff so better send vanilla than risking a power role that we can still make use of.

But it could be the worst of both worlds. If you are town and you sacrifice yourself and the person we hit over there is one of our infiltrators, then we have lost in both threads. At BEST it's a 1:1 tradeoff.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Rarity posted:

Tommunist, when you join the battle as a 7th do you join the melee or ranged or what?

I can choose

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I'd choose ranged tho since I have no combat stats :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

tithin posted:

Yeah this is the one that pinged me earlier, it just read as hedging his bets. If you think he's scummy, don't try to just it by saying "Oh, I need time to think on it, I need someone to confirm it for me" say "I think this is scummy as gently caress, for this reason" because if you're town the first person you need to convince of your vote is yourself, and then vote, and provide solid justification why.

voting for someone with a lovely reason, and asking someone to back you up just reads as either stupid lazy town, or being unconfident in your own read, and if you're unconfident in your read you shouldn't be doing the vote in the first place.

Birdstrike posted:

This is a good read I would vote gamer.

His read of gamer in that post is stupid lazy town or unconfident town(my interpretation). Why do you want to vote for town?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Humorously enough, TMM's later replies seem really consistent with his town game, enough so that I don't feel nearly as strong about that vote. I get that one could make the argument that he changed things up after I cased him but I don't really believe that's what happened. ##unvote

I have a few small hunches at the moment but nothing super solid, and real life is going to keep me out of the game until some point tomorrow. I will likely copy Rarity KB's style and write up a bunch of posts as I catch up :j:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

His read of gamer in that post is stupid lazy town or unconfident town(my interpretation). Why do you want to vote for town?

That's not tithin's read at all. When you get to my posts you'll understand.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

You're dumb and I can't wait to hear the dumb alignment rationale here

This is uncalled for.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

Humorously enough, TMM's later replies seem really consistent with his town game, enough so that I don't feel nearly as strong about that vote. I get that one could make the argument that he changed things up after I cased him but I don't really believe that's what happened. ##unvote

You don't think scum would try to play up to their known town meta? I sure as hell do when I roll scum.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tommunist posted:

I can choose

Ok, this is my Hot Take on Tom. Either someone in the other thread has the same role to balance it out or he's scum running an innovative gambit to get out of being picked for battle. For sure there's no way that we'd have someone who gave us a direct number advantage and if he was a town cop/doctor he wouldn't make up a gambit to avoid battle.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

Doktor Per has contributed one joke vote and no actual content while trying to explicitly stay out of battle: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143&userid=111306

At this point I agree most with 100Yrs' vote on Doktor Per. ##vote Doktor Per Would also swap back to f_v for similar no-content reasons.

Ah, you did finally notice Dok.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

VivaNova posted:

I assumed scum would prefer to be in battle.

This is what I got from Ecco's post, intitially. With the caveat that they need to be in battle with town to truly wreak havoc. If we somehow put all the scum in battle I would think that would be a bad thing for them.

Battle desire is probably going to end up as a null tell in general. But maybe we'll see some weirdness if they are picked together or something.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

King Burgundy posted:

Doesn't seem to happen that often. And when it does, it can still be days before we get anything out of the new poster because they are "catching up" or "it's a lot to read".

I get it but I still think that throwing someone over just because they have posted little is not a good idea (I mentioned replacements, hoping they would post more often). Throwing over someone for being scummy is the preferred action.

Rarity posted:

I don't believe this statement.

Which part? The idea that he was waiting because he wanted to see the excuse OR that the excuse was what he though it was going to be?
I do not disagree that the comment was lovely but I want to hear your justification.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Rarity posted:

You don't think scum would try to play up to their known town meta? I sure as hell do when I roll scum.

I'm think TMM's town meta would be incredibly tough to fake.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BabeLiker90 posted:

I want everyone to read this paragraph and tell me if the conclusions he draws are logically consistent or not

It definitely seems like reaching to get to the last sentence. Is that what you are referring to?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Doktor Per posted:

Gonna just work my way through the thread in a chronological order.

Thank you. That's a fair point. Last evening before crashing I really didn't like that people were joining up on BabeLiker for sleights I did not sense. Would have put in the effort to ##unvote had I feared any real danger to them.

Who I must admit has become cooler than me ITT. :(

Now for reference, my read on the Podima vote was non-serious, but BabeLiker was clearly being hypocritical. I found it funny in a rude sort of way.

I still don't have a strong enough read of anyone to want to really go all in on serious vote. (I'll be refraining from using my vote till I mean it from now on.)

You have already been admonished for reading comprehension, I'll spare you the repeat.

I feel there's more responsibility on Scum players (closely knit society that can gently caress one another over.) so it was the side I mentally prepared for joining. (Also hoping for scum insight as I most likely would be town)

I reached the conclusion that Scum would always want to be in battle, in the rear guard. That way they can potentially attack any team member and minimum accidental friendly fire. So I assume many scum would claim "ranged characters" to just obliterate the front line, or cripple their ranged capabilities with a knife to the neck. Now Scum are about 5-7 players and only three spots in each row.

So filling a team with scum seems unlikely (though awesome), and thus we should assume that it's best to avoid putting scum altogether in battle, unless you can fill your own team with scum completely. Which is a highly unlikely scenario.

Although this could work in towns' advantage if the FRONT LINES are filled 100% with Scum, making them incapable of killing the ranged Townies.

~~~~~~~~

That stuff about battle did not help scum hunt, I admit. I want to believe that the town catapult is real, and I feel as if I've only seen about 12-14 names in the thread. Counting Team Mascot Venom Soag.

This post is kind of bad, but I agree with your battle conclusions.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

How serious was this vote? Cause Cpig gonna Cpig and I don't think that's a valid reason to vote him in itself.

I'm sure you've seen this. But not at all. Pig was being pig.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Rarity posted:

Ok, this is my Hot Take on Tom. Either someone in the other thread has the same role to balance it out or he's scum running an innovative gambit to get out of being picked for battle. For sure there's no way that we'd have someone who gave us a direct number advantage and if he was a town cop/doctor he wouldn't make up a gambit to avoid battle.

what?

I want to go into battle??????

what the gently caress are you talking about

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I mean like if i said i was going to activate my ability and then dodged combat i'm sure you'd have a case, but not now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ridonkulous posted:

Which part? The idea that he was waiting because he wanted to see the excuse OR that the excuse was what he though it was going to be?
I do not disagree that the comment was lovely but I want to hear your justification.

The latter, although I must admit I don't know how much MT and TM have played together. It's not the answer I was expecting from MT and I've played with TM enough to get a pretty good overall read on him as a player.

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm think TMM's town meta would be incredibly tough to fake.

I disagree, but I can see why someone would think otherwise.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Oh my god you're an idiot.

:(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

This is a bad vote. For starters, Chic not having posted doesn't mean she's not going to make an effort once she shows up and also ignores the other half of FV's rationale. FV and Chic have played together enough that FV would already have a sense of Chic as a player.

It's also amusing because he does the same thing and ignores low posters in another post, without the backup reasoning that FV had of only paying attention to the one's she knows.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I got prodded sorry. It's been busy.

This is way too many posts to read and its day one someone tell me who scum is.

Also I will say this again, I am a ranged MONSTER.

If you do not put me in battle in the back line then you dumb.

Also I love how KB acts like he has me figured out in every game.
I do that night 0 cop thing in almost all games I play in and the fact the KB's vote is STILL on me is weird.

##unvote

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Viva, it looks like you're taking issue with the way tithin worded the case rather than the core message of the case itself. I made the same read on Gamer, how do you feel about it now that you've seen my wording of it as well?

I feel like I missed a post or something. Can you maybe point me to what you are speaking to and add some detail here? Specifically "now that you've seen my wording of it as well?"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

It definitely seems like reaching to get to the last sentence. Is that what you are referring to?

Yeah. You and Rarity both see exactly what I do, that the last sentence doesn't follow from the things he said before. It's thrown in there to call me scummy obviously but it's such an awkward jump that I feel it can't be a real and natural thought.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

This post is confusing, in part, because of the people left off of your list. I can't see what the post counts were at this point, but there are some people that are still showing up on the bottom right this moment that you didn't mention at all like Cpig and Dok? Why did they escape your notice? Can you tell me about the amazing content they had generated at this point?

Looking back, I think my rationale for not mentioning CPig was because he HAD been posting mafia content (insofar as the n0 cop gambit is pretty obvious by now), unlike the other folks in my post. I think part of it was that I've seen CPig in enough other games I've read to know that he isn't the type to lurk through a game. Yes, meta read, I know. As far as post counts/lack of content go at this point I'm squinting at Rascyc, Dok, and Chic. I see CPig is here and posting!

And yes, I did eventually notice Dok - who I still don't feel good about. Their one content post reads as forced and awkward to me - they got called out for not producing any content, so that post is half apologetic "I have no reads so I won't vote" and half setup spec about what scum would want to do with battle. Happy with my vote.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

The latter, although I must admit I don't know how much MT and TM have played together. It's not the answer I was expecting from MT and I've played with TM enough to get a pretty good overall read on him as a player.

I disagree, but I can see why someone would think otherwise.

How is it not the answer you were expecting from MMT? What answer were you expecting from her? I only had 3 or 4 posts at the time she made her vote, so what else could it be?

Again, to me, it was incredibly obvious what her reason was going to be and I wanted to see her say it. Frankly, if she had said something other than some form of "Madman is being reasonable and hasn't attacked my vote, so he's probably scum" I would be thinking that MMT is scum right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also people posting in this thread that aren't in the game DOES affect the game negatively. The whole point of Mafia is that it's a closed system, and you analyze people's interactions based on that - that's why replacements are garbage, because you basically have to do a total reset on your read. Random other people dropping in creates a smokescreen for scum to hide behind as they draw attention to themselves. Stop encouraging them.

• Locked thread