Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

surc posted:

That airhorn sounds nothing like the parps in my Dreams!, immersion wrecked, 0/10

Also IDK, the coke joke is getting a little out of control, and also it would have been way cooler to see you try and do stop-motion smoke.

No no it's not coke it's talc powder, he's just using a giant dollar bill to clean it up, totally legit and not slanderous....

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This is golden.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

:five::five::five::five::five:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TTerrible posted:

:vince:

Better production values than Wing Commander.

better everything than wing commander

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Just when I think this thread can't deliver even more, you make something like this. Have all my fives and cats
:five: :pgabz: :five: :pgabz: :five: :pgabz: :five:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/408so4/television_in_the_verse/

quote:

We know that there's going to be a lot of screens all over the place in StarCitizen. Some of them already show ads for ships as you can witness in the social module. But what if there was some sort of real in-game television with news stations and channels of player owned corporations?
What could be the possibilities of TV in StarCitizen:

-Races and Death Matches
-News (broadcasts by player owned corps? News stations biased towards certain factions distorting what's really happening or just recruiting ads to get new players to join?)
-Advertisement (we already got some ads for ships but what about all the clothing, the weapons or even the cruise line you're running with all the exotic places it can bring it's customers to. Also the guy competing for the position as CEO in his corp needs a new TV spot to move his campaign forward.)

Of course there are problems that arise with content created by players, such as quality or just... inappropriate or out of place stuff that could sully the game experience for others.
So how could this content be curated to be included in the game? By CIG? Would they have spare resources to do that? I think this should rather be done by the players themselves. Maybe via a voting process within the game - enough gamers upvote a channel, it gets a seal of approvement so people know it's safe to watch without breaking immersion. Or should voting take place outside of the game? Or by a committee elected by players? What are the parameters to be included? If a self-regulating process could be established this machine would be fueled by player-produced content alone. It's also conceivable to have hurdles within the game you have to overcome to get access to official bradcasting. Like having to buy a broadcasting station and the rights to broadcast.

Do you guys know if live TV is a technical possibility at all? Everything live from races to broadcasts of people first traveling through an unknown jump point would be thrilling to watch I imagine. Although I heard the developers talking about having difficulties with live feeds within CryEngine. But even if not - pre-recorded programming alone would be enough to make this come alive.

This is fascinating to think of. To have television that is constantly in motion, keeping up with current events and informing the players about what's happening on the other side of the verse could infuse so much life and, yes, immersion to the game. I would sometimes stop by a bar with friends just to watch a race to cheer on a buddy (which is very likely to come about when the game is released), indulge in a popular sitcom set on Terra or lay down in my freelancer just to listen to Rudolph the rambler broadcasting from his Reliant at the edge of the universe describing his controversial take on the UEE.

I know it all sounds ambitious but for a project like StarCitizen that's known to rather leap ahead I think it might be doable to a certain extend. Do you think Television could exist in the game and add something to it? Would you be interested in curating or producing content if possible? Because this really doesn't stop there. What about the web? Can corporations or small businesses have websites?

That one guy who's super excited about the news van in the 'verse.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/408so4/television_in_the_verse/

That one guy who's super excited about the news van in the 'verse.

You have to give it to Chris Roberts, he speaks sperg

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Somebody link the pilot that Thong made and let them know we have our first show for syndicated broadcast in THE VERSE!!!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I hope no one gets mad :(

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I'd love to see the gif's that this thread has produced projected onto a giant arse billboard.
And I don't even mean in the game haha

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Holy gently caress it's amazing

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

And the Emmy goes to...

(Meanwhile, Sandi is again seething at her missed opportunity and recognition)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

You had me laughing. THAT is all that matters. :golfclap:

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Amarcarts posted:

Star Citizen Thread Read Through Day 1 - 1/9/2016

Well I thought it would be a funny joke, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Someone bought me an avatar so I'm going to read through the thread from the beginning. Right away from the first post I'm disgusted in myself for making this deal. Thank God Derek is only linking to his blogs and not actually quoting them. Actually now it's starting to get not so bad. Derek's writing is heavy handed, but his commitment to never surrender is inspiring me to do the same with this project. I'm going to shut up and read now.

Well things were going along pretty smoothly and my mood was lifted until A Neurotic Jew posted Chris's entire response to the escapist article. I'm not even off of the the first page.

Amarcarts, when you're done with the thread blog, we have a new task for you.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'd love to see the gif's that this thread has produced projected onto a giant arse billboard.
And I don't even mean in the game haha

Corzen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 10, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought we were just calling matilda2013 "Sandi" to piss him off.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Apocalypse as Derek... holy poo poo... oh my god so good. :pgabz:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I thought we were just calling matilda2013 "Sandi" to piss him off.

I thought you'd be able to recognize scope creep by now

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
INN did indeed follow up. Turns out they have lives. Hopefully some good will come of this.

Man, pink pony avatar poster is going to be so depressed if whatever ship his/her "artist's soul" connects with gets the Cutlass treatment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sweet Jesus.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

I thought you'd be able to recognize scope creep by now

:vince:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Somebody posted a Star Citizen video on the Firefly reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefly/comments/407oqy/star_citizen_firefly_trailer/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They absolutely cannot leave the echo chamber any more. When the referral system was first implemented someone got an album of promo shots to the front page of imgur with their code at the bottom of it. The comments were absolutely savage. I vaguely remember the poster complaining on Reddit about no-one understanding ~the dream~ and they'd be sorry when the game is released.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just read this article on the failure of DigiCash and it smelled a WHOLE LOT LIKE StarCit/RSI to me. Hope someone finds it interesting.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Darkpriest667 posted:

And now you know why Beer, myself, and others are genuinely concerned that when this project bombs there will be suicides and possibly homicides related to it. That's not trolling, that's not some sort of sick fantasy, that is the reality of this situation. These monsters at the top of this project know that there are some people with serious emotional and mental dysfunctions that are dropping obscene amounts of money into a project that is badly managed enough it probably isn't going to fulfill it's promises. This is a recipe for disaster.

The sad truth is you see this type of thing happen, more then people would like to think, with much smaller sums of money. It's a video game at the end of the day - a video game - and these people come off like they are pinning their hopes and dreams on it. I worry that even if it does manage to somehow come out it will fail to live up to these incredibly high expectations that these people have built up, and it's going to destroy them when it doesn't fulfill every little space .jpeg fantasy they have.

Those at the top, Chris/Sandi/etc, have to know that they are allowing these people to put themselves into both a financial and psychological hole. I can't believe that they are so stupid as to not know that. Yet here they are continuing to do just that and gleefully putting their hands out for more money. It's disgusting to say the least. But when you look at people like Ben and his wife it's not surprising that they don't care. They are clearly allowing their own employees to slowly kill themselves. So what do they care if some random backer they don't know kills themselves because they failed to live up to their word.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://disqus.com/by/rajafamitswuey/

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Next thing we know there are Lil Paarpys being sold at CitCon and on the RSI website. I'm actually surprised they haven't tried to take it for themselves and call it the Goon Alerter or some stupid poo poo like Sabre or Aegis.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:golfclap:

I also read a summary of "Amy's Baking Company" and yeah, it's pretty eerie how much it parallels Sandi's behavior, both proven and alleged.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah but how may mocap studios did it take?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jimb posted:

Yeah but how may mocap studios did it take?

All of them.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

My birthday's coming up soon and i'm thinking of getting a new scanner so I can post all the goofy poo poo I've been drawing since I got on this thread, if I sign upto imgur I can just post links to those images right? Or is there a better way?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SirPhoebos posted:

I also read a summary of "Amy's Baking Company" and yeah, it's pretty eerie how much it parallels Sandi's behavior, both proven and alleged.

You really need to watch it to appreciate it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Amy's baking company is great, and they did a follow up if I'm not mistaken and they were still like "gently caress you RAMSay!"

Bar Rescue and Kitchen Nightmares are both great for delusional owners. If you can find the Bar Rescue about the Pirates Bar its amazing. No where near as crazy as Amy. I just like delusional owners who are in such dire straights they asked a tv show for help, then refuse all help.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Amy's baking company is great, and they did a follow up if I'm not mistaken and they were still like "gently caress you RAMSay!"

Bar Rescue and Kitchen Nightmares are both great for delusional owners. If you can find the Bar Rescue about the Pirates Bar its amazing. No where near as crazy as Amy. I just like delusional owners who are in such dire straights they asked a tv show for help, then refuse all help.

Restaurant Impossible redid this restaurant that I used to go to for lunch every once in a while and within a year they needed to sell the place and move across the street. The place was fine but it was in a terrible awful horrible out-of-the-way location so everything they did on the show was pretty much a complete waste of time.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Galaxy Quest?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Restaurant Impossible redid this restaurant that I used to go to for lunch every once in a while and within a year they needed to sell the place and move across the street. The place was fine but it was in a terrible awful horrible out-of-the-way location so everything they did on the show was pretty much a complete waste of time.

eh if they were able to sell and move thats better than filing bankruptcy and forclosure I'd guess. A lot of those places are in like dire straights according to the show. Climbing out behind a few hundred thousand is no joke for any restaurant. Maybe they should start selling pictures of their food though, its a good way to raise money I hear.

kordansk posted:

Galaxy Quest?

The song? Dallas theme. 70s 80s primetime drama.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

SirPhoebos posted:

I wonder which one is more heavy handed and out of control with micromanaging. Chris or Sammy?

Actually, Sammy's "Get The gently caress Out!" tirades might be more analogous to the RSI / CIG True Believer Army.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

The song? Dallas theme. 70s 80s primetime drama.

drat, for some reason I thought it was the Galaxy Quest tv show theme.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

kordansk posted:

drat, for some reason I thought it was the Galaxy Quest tv show theme.

Great, hilarious movie. Just watched it for the first time a few nights ago, we were talking about it over in the GBS Star Trek thread which is a good fun place to talk about sci fi shows/movies

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737989&pagenumber=97#lastpost

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

The sad truth is you see this type of thing happen, more then people would like to think, with much smaller sums of money. It's a video game at the end of the day - a video game - and these people come off like they are pinning their hopes and dreams on it. I worry that even if it does manage to somehow come out it will fail to live up to these incredibly high expectations that these people have built up, and it's going to destroy them when it doesn't fulfill every little space .jpeg fantasy they have.

Those at the top, Chris/Sandi/etc, have to know that they are allowing these people to put themselves into both a financial and psychological hole. I can't believe that they are so stupid as to not know that. Yet here they are continuing to do just that and gleefully putting their hands out for more money. It's disgusting to say the least. But when you look at people like Ben and his wife it's not surprising that they don't care. They are clearly allowing their own employees to slowly kill themselves. So what do they care if some random backer they don't know kills themselves because they failed to live up to their word.

It makes me wonder if, in the end when this is all over, the information in the storage of their databases will be enough to convict them of criminal negligence. I doubt it, I am no lawyer so I have no idea, but it seems like they are being extremely negligent.

edited for grammar and spelling of two letter words

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread