Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Jones doesn't even make contact with Porter. You can see it in the clip. Jones also doesn't shove a ref. Jones throws a weak punch, but is pushed away by three refs.

https://streamable.com/v94e

Look at jones being manhandled by those refs, he should sue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

As you can see here, over 100 refs start pulling at Jones from all sides. He begins to have a panic attack and falls backward into several of the refs, which draws the penalty of being forced to be a big dumb rear end upon both himself and vontaze d. burfict

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jones doesn't even make contact with Porter. You can see it in the clip. Jones also doesn't shove a ref. Jones throws a weak punch, but is pushed away by three refs.

So an attempted physical escalation that is physically prevented by the referees is an unwarranted flag?

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Schwack posted:

Did I have a seizure and make this up or did I really read somewhere in the last 20 minutes that Porter got a game ball?

Porter got the game ball and he deserved it. The Steelers are in the Bengals' heads and the only questionable call in the entire game was the Shazier non-call.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The one throwing the flag is the one with his back completely turned to Jones, who feels Jones run straight into his back in an attempt to get to Porter. It's pretty easy to see why he threw the flag.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The Bengals have absolutely no argument here. It doesn't matter if Porter shouldn't be there, shouldn't be mouthing off, even if he touches any of them. They cannot control Joey Porter. The Bengals can control themselves, but they couldn't. It wasn't just that last penalty, it was the entire game. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ALFbrot posted:

I'm just saying, you were like the poster child for oblivious Steeler fans in the immediate aftermath, and consistently mischaracterizing the situation wasn't going to win you any converts

Oh go gently caress yourself with this stupid "you are the homer but not me I am calling it down the middle" horseshit we are all trying to make sense of a situation from hearsay and replays and don't act like youre somehow the arbiter of objective truth because you saw an 11 second clip differently

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mel, you realize that Porter is the one who started the contact, correct? Porter shoved Burfict as Brown was leaving the field. Porter was more physical than Jones was for the penalized action.

I think the bigger point is that Porter is a linebackers coach and should not be out there "checking on Brown" at all, let alone while talking poo poo from 10 yards away from the injured player. It should be a penalty on him regardless of what else transpires.

At best, maybe offsetting since Pacman tried to go through a ref to shove him or whatever, but it was a 15 yard gift that may very well have decided the game.

Also, Pittsburgh coaches are all pieces of poo poo. From the Tomlin tripping thing, to the hair pulling earlier in the game from the OL coach, to this bullshit, just the biggest no class group ever assembled. There hasn't been one NFL team in 20 years that has had as much coach bullshit with opposing team players.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ALFbrot posted:

So an attempted physical escalation that is physically prevented by the referees is an unwarranted flag?

That is in line with how refs usually handle these situations. Like I said how the NFL handles this poo poo is loving stupid.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Diamir posted:

Porter got the game ball and he deserved it. The Steelers are in the Bengals' heads and the only questionable call in the entire game was the Shazier non-call.

Seems about right to me. Pretty big call to miss, though. With how trigger-happy most officials are, I'm surprised it wasn't flagged just for being a big hit.

Substandard posted:

I think the bigger point is that Porter is a linebackers coach and should not be out there "checking on Brown" at all, let alone while talking poo poo from 10 yards away from the injured player. It should be a penalty on him regardless of what else transpires.

At best, maybe offsetting since Pacman tried to go through a ref to shove him or whatever, but it was a 15 yard gift that may very well have decided the game.

Also, Pittsburgh coaches are all pieces of poo poo. From the Tomlin tripping thing, to the hair pulling earlier in the game from the OL coach, to this bullshit, just the biggest no class group ever assembled. There hasn't been one NFL team in 20 years that has had as much coach bullshit with opposing team players.

He's totally allowed to be out there for the injury. Relaying information to the sideline, whatever, his position on the field is well within the rules and it's silly to complain about it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Cavauro posted:

As you can see here, over 100 refs start pulling at Jones from all sides. He begins to have a panic attack and falls backward into several of the refs, which draws the penalty of being forced to be a big dumb rear end upon both himself and vontaze d. burfict

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh go gently caress yourself with this stupid "you are the homer but not me I am calling it down the middle" horseshit we are all trying to make sense of a situation from hearsay and replays and don't act like youre somehow the arbiter of objective truth because you saw an 11 second clip differently

dude...thats a former mod your talking too

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jesus Christ, Bengals. I'm sorry, everyone. :(

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is in line with how refs usually handle these situations. Like I said how the NFL handles this poo poo is loving stupid.

In the immediate aftermath of a play/scuffle, yes. There had been like 90 seconds since the play ended and violence had subdued

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Jesus Christ, Bengals. I'm sorry, everyone. :(

It's fine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

v2vian man posted:

He has power man, not shoving power but close.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Diamir posted:

the only questionable call in the entire game was the Shazier non-call.

if by questionable you mean appalling, than correct.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

v2vian man posted:

former :twisted:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ALFbrot posted:

In all of the other games where players scrum with each other.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
both teams are poo poo, really. let pittsburgh get vaporized by denver next week and disband football. if the steelers win disband my skull from my spinal cord

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Substandard posted:

How are the refs going to know which coach he is? How do they know if he is linebacker coach, or Brown's receiver coach? And beside that, is there a rule specifically stating what coaches are allowed on the field in this circumstance?

There is no "bigger" point. Cincinnati players couldn't control themselves, and lost the game in a spectacular fashion.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

v2vian man posted:

Don't care, he can say whatever

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Both teams played hard, my man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The bigger point is that the NFL desperately needs to reform how it handles this kind of poo poo. It is going to get worse not better.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also that flag was bullshit I think that is key point in all this

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Call a moratorium on AFC North teams meeting in the playoffs. If the solution goes as far as banning AFCN teams from the postseason, that's probably OK

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I am not a Cincy fan, so I am not crushed by the ending of this game, but the second flag was just the best way to kill the end of the game. Granted that a kick still had to be made, but in the context of those big situations, turning a 15 yard penalty into a 30 yard penalty and a game ender shouldn't happen unless there is some serious poo poo happening. If I were a ref I would want to immediately end the game, so I get it, but the NFL allowed that game to end on a sloppy wet fart.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Goetta posted:

Nah man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goetta posted:

Right again op

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

All coaches should wear electric dog collars and when a player is hurt, only that player's corresponding position coach will have his collar turned off to allow him onto the field. Then, and only then, will we prevent gross travesties such as guys getting penalized for running up the backs of referees from occurring.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The bigger point is that the NFL desperately needs to reform how it handles this kind of poo poo. It is going to get worse not better.

Agreed. The problem is that there is always going to be poo poo in the margins and any movement of the rules will shift that margins and we are always going to have controversies.

If the refs are harsher, its "god that wasn't worth a flag/ejection"
if the refs are more lenient, its "they are getting away with all sorts of stuff"

You can also try to make it consistent but even then you are dealing with subjective declarations split among different refs at any one time.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

I am not a Cincy fan, so I am not crushed by the ending of this game, but the second flag was just the best way to kill the end of the game. Granted that a kick still had to be made, but in the context of those big situations, turning a 15 yard penalty into a 30 yard penalty and a game ender shouldn't happen unless there is some serious poo poo happening. If I were a ref I would want to immediately end the game, so I get it, but the NFL allowed that game to end on a sloppy wet fart.

I just assumed they were trying to get everything under control, hard to say whether or not they were considering the result of throwing a second flag.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The other thing that isn't being mentioned is that if the Gio call had been made correctly this most likely doesn't happen at all. The fact that a ref can't reverse those calls is outrageous.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I would think, most any other game, you'd be right, that last penalty doesn't get called. It got called here only because how contentious the game was, how out of control it was, that they were going to call it very close.

Schwack posted:

I just assumed they were trying to get everything under control, hard to say whether or not they were considering the result of throwing a second flag.

Which they never should do! Their only concern at that point should be to bring the game under control. If it gets out of control, penalize the team that they see as out of control. They cannot put into consideration that the penalty may be a large factor in a playoff game loss. That is on the team, not the official.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Agreed. The problem is that there is always going to be poo poo in the margins and any movement of the rules will shift that margins and we are always going to have controversies.

If the refs are harsher, its "god that wasn't worth a flag/ejection"
if the refs are more lenient, its "they are getting away with all sorts of stuff"

You can also try to make it consistent but even then you are dealing with subjective declarations split among different refs at any one time.

No the problem is throwing flags does gently caress all to get things in control, all it does it give temporary relief. It does nothing to stop future problems. Players don't give a poo poo about flags we know this much as this game proves.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nothing would go without mention again if referee calls were done through @ mentions from now on, and each call and non-call gets its own twitter account. Think about it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

No the problem is throwing flags does gently caress all to get things in control, all it does it give temporary relief. It does nothing to stop future problems. Players don't give a poo poo about flags we know this much as this game proves.

Not talking just about flags though, same thing with ejections.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

The other thing that isn't being mentioned is that if the Gio call had been made correctly this most likely doesn't happen at all. The fact that a ref can't reverse those calls is outrageous.

Where does that stop though? Once you open up semi-subjective calls to review you grind the game to a halt. Sometimes the wrong call is going to be made/missed. It sucks. Everyone has been on the poo poo end of it. It's lovely but I'm not sure there's any way to actually do anything about it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Well, yeah, but... you can say that about so many things in sports. Hell, you can say that if the penalty gets called, then the play where Ben gets injured doesn't happen, and he never allows Cincinnati to catch back up, and it is a more cleanly won Steelers victory.

But I agree on the second point. I find it baffling in sports when only certain things are allowed to be reviewed. Why? If something was done wrong, that could be corrected, that would benefit the game... allow it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not talking just about flags though, same thing with ejections.

Ejections don't happen, that is the problem. No more no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Didn't a steelers coach draw a penalty earlier for putting hands on a bengal?

Also why wouldn't steelers be pissed at burfict after that vicious hit on brown? He's charging straight at him and doesn't even try to slow down. He's not coming over to apologize, he just knows he hosed up bad.

• Locked thread