Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sparticle posted:

It had to be Memester

e: I think that was the first time I have seen someone panic nade in this game.

Oh my god, I missed that. Please say someone has a recording of that with Beagle's reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
No recording, but

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/v/34562251

at 4:20:30

"IT'S JUST A PRANK!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

amanasleep posted:

Dynamic War standard halves the number of missions and is reasonably balanced. If you hate the air war then play with The Friendly Skies Second Wave and/or start in India, Russia, UK, or Egypt.

DW also gives you a base defense as early as July/August, and I don't think scales resources appropriately. There was no way for me to finish in half the number of missions with base DW, there weren't enough resources to build a ship to even take down the Overseer.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

DW also gives you a base defense as early as July/August, and I don't think scales resources appropriately. There was no way for me to finish in half the number of missions with base DW, there weren't enough resources to build a ship to even take down the Overseer.

Nah, current game in October with no Base defense yet. Plenty of resources and I'm about to go on my first Alien Base Assault.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Superstring posted:

For those that missed this stream:

https://a.pomf.cat/qtrafq.webm

This belongs in the OP.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Did Beagle mod the game again because he is getting his rear end kicked now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Beagle confirms that the XCOM 2 German voice packs are p. loving good.

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl
Imagine the Skyranger flight home with Memester after that mission.

"Look, I said I was sorry - "

"Gee Memester I must not have heard your apology on account of my loving eardrums being shattered when someone threw a grenade at me."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kai Tave posted:

This belongs in the OP.

agreed.

On a related note, I'm going to be making the proper XCOM 2 launch OP in the next few days. I think with the way the faucet's been opening, we're pretty much done talking about the original XCOM games and it's time to close up shop here.

Please shamelessly link gifs, webms, cool points in archived streams, and other choice media for the new OP as you find it. I want to include a lot more gameplay snippets in the next OP than made it into the current one.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Coolguye posted:

agreed.

On a related note, I'm going to be making the proper XCOM 2 launch OP in the next few days. I think with the way the faucet's been opening, we're pretty much done talking about the original XCOM games and it's time to close up shop here.

Please shamelessly link gifs, webms, cool points in archived streams, and other choice media for the new OP as you find it. I want to include a lot more gameplay snippets in the next OP than made it into the current one.

if you say anything about long war you have to include that thin man gif

http://web.archive.org/web/20150612103541/http://a.pomf.se/tjmrzr.webm

otherwise continue

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

CrazyLoon posted:

This video does a solid enough summary of it while also describing the old games. I also remember reading up Dave Ellis' (Microprose's older lead designer I think or somesuch) take back in 2003/04 too, when it seemed it was gonna be hosed forever, but...CBA to hunt for that now.

Thanks for this, watched it and then when I was looking for some more I found some videos the same guy did in October that go a little more in-depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsDH2azVlIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBL1AKYpe8

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Oh my god I am so sad that I missed this stream. This is all amazing.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've always thought video games streams were uniformly stupid and beneath me, but Beagle is so much fun to watch I downloaded the twitch app and put him on my tv via Chromecast the other night.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
New weapon mod, a Auto Loader that makes you get one reload per mission for no turn cost.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Junpei posted:

New weapon mod, a Auto Loader that makes you get one reload per mission for no turn cost.

We've known this for literally eight goddamn months, Junpei.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Strobe posted:

We've known this for literally eight goddamn months, Junpei.

Dragon Rounds: Attacks have extra damage and a chance to inflict Burning. That is METAL.
Tracer Rounds: Attacks get a bonus 10% accuracy.
A.P. Rounds: Attacks can ignore up to 5 armor points.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

Dragon Rounds: Attacks have extra damage and a chance to inflict Burning. That is METAL.
Tracer Rounds: Attacks get a bonus 10% accuracy.
A.P. Rounds: Attacks can ignore up to 5 armor points.

Junpei, you loving idiot, we've been over this. We don't care about game ideas, we're discussing poo poo that's in the game and that's been presented.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

LotsBread posted:

Junpei, you loving idiot, we've been over this. We don't care about game ideas, we're discussing poo poo that's in the game and that's been presented.

Those are in the game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xv1EnGxeNg
Check it, they are in this video by Christopher Odd.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

Those are in the game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xv1EnGxeNg
Check it, they are in this video by Christopher Odd.

I take it back then.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

LotsBread posted:

I take it back then.

It's cool, I didn't hold anything against you.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

HenryEx posted:

No recording, but

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/v/34562251

at 4:20:30

"IT'S JUST A PRANK!"

The worst part about this is that it gets muted at exactly this point so you can't hear his reaction.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

As a European who can't watch live, it is infinitely depressing when Beagle plays copyright music over awesome things happening and then it gets muted for the vod.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Half-wish the preview code leaked like it did with Human Revolution. :v:

But man, second game I've pre-ordered. Had to stop my attempt at getting all XCOM achievements for now as there's no way in hell I'll be able to go back to it after playing this through a couple times.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I JUS TWANNA PLAY XCOM

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1452403593549.webm

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Delacroix posted:

The BFV OST on a map on fire where beagle is fragging civilians is completely appropriate.

"Any civilian that moves, IS A FACELESS! Any civilian that stands still, IS A WELL-DISCIPLINED FACELESS! Ha ha!"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I really like that a sword based character can escalate until they become a Platinum Games protagonist. Untouchable looks like it's going to be so fun to gently caress around with.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Grapplejack posted:

I really like that a sword based character can escalate until they become a Platinum Games protagonist. Untouchable looks like it's going to be so fun to gently caress around with.

Sword rangers look like the ultimate evolution of them pushing an aggressive playstyle. With proper planning a sword ranger can sit in the middle of enemy lines murdering people every single turn while being completely safe from retaliation.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kanos posted:

Sword rangers look like the ultimate evolution of them pushing an aggressive playstyle. With proper planning a sword ranger can sit in the middle of enemy lines murdering people every single turn while being completely safe from retaliation.
Do Untouchable protect you from just one attack or are you invincible from every attack that enemy turn?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Do Untouchable protect you from just one attack or are you invincible from every attack that enemy turn?

Just one attack, but since you just killed ONE enemy you cut down the number of enemies that can attack you back.

I imagine if you combine that with Reaper you are very hard to hurt. Blademaster Rangers are probably going to be dodgemasters from hell, I love it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Excavating rooms actually gets you money instead of costing you it this time which is great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DrManiac posted:

Excavating rooms actually gets you money instead of costing you it this time which is great.

It does cost you time and the services of an engineer, so getting engineers is still key to expansion, but getting resources out of it instead of costing resources is pretty sweet.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
And that means that if you buy engineers early on they quickly pay for themselves by letting you clear rooms for extra cash before you use them for all the things you need engineers for.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

It does cost you time and the services of an engineer, so getting engineers is still key to expansion, but getting resources out of it instead of costing resources is pretty sweet.

Yeah I know. Doing it in the last game was a pain because you had to pay money too which sucked early game because you had to do so much with so little. This feels a bit more fair and should give you a bit more leeway when you first start a campaign.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ravenfood posted:

e: does Reaper only make it so that you get your shoot-action back? Because it without the skill that gives +move on kill seems near useless.

No, every melee kill in reaper gives you an action - so presumably you could end your spree by shooting something if you want too. Not sure if the stacking damage reduction applies to non-melee attacks though.

The only thing I am not liking about melee is not seeing your hit/crit/damage numbers when you use it as part of a move (I know the enemy HP bar shows expected damage, but I think that's only the average, you can't see the range)

Kanos posted:

There were a couple attempts and then somebody used the franchise for a terrible F2P MMO so that's that. Doing what Firaxis did with XCOM and reviving a beloved old franchise in a genre that is considered extremely niche and outmoded in a modern market and somehow managing to be so successful at it that you capture the hearts of both new players and crusty old veterans at the same time is a piece of wizardry that very few companies can emulate.

Remember back before EU was announced and the only new XCOM was the Bureau? The head of 2k said:

quote:

But the problem was that turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth. But this is not just a commercial thing – strategy games are just not contemporary.”
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/13/2k-strategy-games-not-contemporary/

So it's pretty funny how much more successful EU was.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Remember back before EU was announced and the only new XCOM was the Bureau? The head of 2k said:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/13/2k-strategy-games-not-contemporary/

So it's pretty funny how much more successful EU was.
It's funnier to remember that The Bureau was meant to be the big title for everyone, and EU was to be the budget title to appease the older fans.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My theory is still that the 2k guy was trolling to rile up the fans. He knew very well that the Firaxis XCOM had been in development for years at that point.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I would pay good money that anytime a high level executive says this stupid poo poo of: "FPS = instant money", they get their face slapped with the numbers of these 2 games and how well each did.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Do we know if the game is shipping with second wave options? If I remember right I think we had to wait for them with EU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The sad bit was that the Bureau wasn't actually just a complete pile of garbage, it was actually a halfway decent game hamstrung by a lot of internal development shakeups. If it hadn't had to deal with being saddled with the XCOM license OR if it had been developed with less stop-and-start-over it could have been a really solid title.

• Locked thread