Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i dont think rajafa likes anything. deep down it doesnt even like star citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks for making me defend CIG devs again, thread. :argh:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TTerrible posted:

I do not understand why people keep holding this up as something CIG are doing wrong. First of all, it is the standard way of doing vehicles in FPS games. UE4 does it this way, the Tribes games did it this way and the Battlefield games do too. Second, they're very clearly doing more than this.

Generic vehicle control:

• Player "uses" vehicle
  • Player character plays animation getting into vehicle (or not!)
  • Player possesses the vehicle entity, control input is passed to that instead of the player.
  • The players previous character model is now mounted / attached to the seat or whatever.
  • Second player "uses" the vehicle.
  • Second player plays an animation, their previous model is mounted / attached and their control input is translated to a gun turret.

Star Citizen has taken this one step further and instead of just transferring player control to another entity they appear to transfer control to something much more complicated that acts like its own little game map with a physics grid, opening and closing doors, elevators, things to interact with etc. Players can rock up, hit use on a door and enter the vehicle, walk around opening the shitter or riding elevators without ever going through the transformation outlined above until they sit in the pilot seat or a gunnery position. It is totally hosed and janky as hell, but they are doing more. This is not just getting in a jeep in Crysis.

Speculating about masking animations and train hats in an effort to discredit CIG is starting to veer towards being reverse Octopode. There are so many legitimate things to criticise it's frustrating to see this come up over and over.

(This is not aimed specifically at you Chalks, tons of people have been saying this)

This is what I was saying above (although you said it better.) I wouldn't say they're doing it wrong - I'd say they're doing it badly. It probably keeps coming up because people are trying to understand the weird behavior on the PTU.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 10, 2016

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TTerrible posted:

First of all, it is the standard way of doing vehicles in FPS games. UE4 does it this way, the Tribes games did it this way and the Battlefield games do too. Second, they're very clearly doing more than this.

Speculating about masking animations and train hats in an effort to discredit CIG is starting to veer towards being reverse Octopode. There are so many legitimate things to criticise it's frustrating to see this come up over and over.

(This is not aimed specifically at you Chalks, tons of people have been saying this)

I'm actually just learning about this and I'm going to be holding it against any game that does it from now on. It's a sensible trick or whatever, but it's also goofy and stupid and hilarious.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it's weird, last night I was just thinking (I don't sleep, really it sucks) and I had just kinda made that video for fun, this thread just inspired me and I like to make people laugh. Anyhow I just kinda threw it together and that was that. Then last night I was realized that sandi ben and chris might actually watch it and like lol. It's weird to realize that these people who should be so far removed from that kinda poo poo might blow a gasket at something so silly. Weird poo poo man.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

This is what I was saying above (although you said it better.) I wouldn't say they're doing it wrong - I'd say they're doing it badly.

I didn't see your post until after I'd hit submit, we're saying the same thing. If they got this working as intended (they won't before it implodes) it'd be very, very cool. The people at the top of this project are crazy and the backers are toxic but the devs are doing their best to implement some of this stuff and I wish they'd had the opportunity to do it somewhere sane.

Khanstant posted:

I'm actually just learning about this and I'm going to be holding it against any game that does it from now on. It's a sensible trick or whatever, but it's also goofy and stupid and hilarious.

Why though? It is the best way of doing it until what SC has promised is doable. There isn't really another way to implement it that makes sense. Forcing the player to control their players arms on a steering wheel would result in hilarious Tresspaser-esque gifs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

I do not understand why people keep holding this up as something CIG are doing wrong. First of all, it is the standard way of doing vehicles in FPS games. UE4 does it this way, the Tribes games did it this way and the Battlefield games do too. Second, they're very clearly doing more than this.

Generic vehicle control:

• Player "uses" vehicle
  • Player character plays animation getting into vehicle (or not!)
  • Player possesses the vehicle entity, control input is passed to that instead of the player.
  • The players previous character model is now mounted / attached to the seat or whatever.
  • Second player "uses" the vehicle.
  • Second player plays an animation, their previous model is mounted / attached and their control input is translated to a gun turret.

Star Citizen has taken this one step further and instead of just transferring player control to another entity they appear to transfer control to something much more complicated that acts like its own little game map with a physics grid, opening and closing doors, elevators, things to interact with etc. Players can rock up, hit use on a door and enter the vehicle, walk around opening the shitter or riding elevators without ever going through the transformation outlined above until they sit in the pilot seat or a gunnery position. It is totally hosed and janky as hell, but they are doing more. This is not just getting in a jeep in Crysis.

I don't know why you're getting annoyed. The player becomes the ship is a simple way to describe it. Yes the ship isn't a player character and does all kinds of other stuff, but if you can't board a ship and shoot the pilot in the head, because the pilot avatar head (or anyone in a seat) isn't really attached to the head anymore, then a lot of fever dreams about piracy aren't going to come true.

If this is the base skeleton of the game, then there's a good chance they'll never fix this fundamental flaw in "immersion". Saying everyone else does it this way is just the icing on the cake after all the promises of the best damm space game ever.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't get what it is about the Vanduul that we're supposed to care about

Like I get that Chris wants WWII in space but that's his Hitler?

Let's try to unravel Chris Robert's logic here, based on past experiences with the crap his brain shits out:

They're aliens, which makes them evil.

Done. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Since we're on the subject, kind of, what makes mirrors in videogames so apparently impossible to do? Even many modern games don't do mirrors, it's weird. Is it super tricky to make a believable mirror?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

I don't know why you're getting annoyed. The player becomes the ship is a simple way to describe it. Yes the ship isn't a player character and does all kinds of other stuff, but if you can't board a ship and shoot the pilot in the head, because the pilot avatar head (or anyone in a seat) isn't really attached to the head anymore, then a lot of fever dreams about piracy aren't going to come true.

If this is the base skeleton of the game, then there's a good chance they'll never fix this fundamental flaw in "immersion". Saying everyone else does it this way is just the icing on the cake after all the promises of the best damm space game ever.

I'm not getting annoyed at that. Not allowing the mounted players to take damage is dumb as hell, and I have no idea why they haven't implemented it - but a lot of people have posted things to the effect of "lol the player just becomes the ship haha cig are incompetent why dont they do it properly" without realising that they are doing it properly and they've played a ton of other games that do exactly this.

Khanstant posted:

Since we're on the subject, kind of, what makes mirrors in videogames so apparently impossible to do? Even many modern games don't do mirrors, it's weird. Is it super tricky to make a believable mirror?

You're rendering the entire view twice. The game becomes twice as demanding when a mirror is in view. It also does some exciting things if you're trying to do clever tricks with depth buffers and whatever in your game and then suddenly you're doing it twice and its flipped and you're looking at it from the other side and oh god

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I didn't see your post until after I'd hit submit, we're saying the same thing. If they got this working as intended (they won't before it implodes) it'd be very, very cool. The people at the top of this project are crazy and the backers are toxic but the devs are doing their best to implement some of this stuff and I wish they'd had the opportunity to do it somewhere sane.

I agree. But there are side-effects of doing it this way that run contrary to their design goals.

Example: Let's say some guy parks his Constellation but hasn't gotten out yet. Me as the happy pirate that I am, sneak in and attempt to shoot the pilot and hijack the ship. But what's this? My bullets pass through the pilot? Yes, because that pilot is just a placeholder model. Unless that guy leaves his seat, there's dick-all I can do to steal it. Now the pilot knows this, so now he'll never get out of the chair, and I'm stuck holding my virtual dick with nothing to do.

That means immersion has been broken for me, because I can't shoot a guy who's right there, but I can if he gets up. It breaks it for the pilot, because by staying in his seat, he's playing the metagame, rather than being immersed. And so on. The devs have an absolutely herculean task in front of them, and as you said, in any other company it would be fun as hell to work this all out. But at CIG, with Roberts breathing down your neck, it's gotta be awful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TTerrible posted:

It's not that they're doing something wrong by doing it this way. It's that they're doing it poorly after having claimed that they wouldn't be using these kinds of tricks (somehow). The addition of letting the player control a complex object that affects other players is far from new, and the addition of a physics grid as part of that object is the only slightly fancy part (but isn't new either).

quote:

Again, it comes up over and over and it does discredit CIG because of the pigswill they've tried to sell about how it would work. Had they not tried to over-promise, here as everywhere else, no-one would bat an eyelid (other than maybe at how surprisingly badly they've implemented this fairly standard concept).

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

It being the fundamentals of the game doesn't mean that they won't alter / tune those fundamentals.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Khanstant posted:

I'm no game developer, but most games don't actually render your character, so to have a mirror that does seems like a little bit of coding gymnastics need involved for what might not amount for more than a gimmick.

edit: and every mirror would effectively double what needs rendered in the scene wouldn't it?

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 10, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

I'm not getting annoyed at that. Not allowing the mounted players to take damage is dumb as hell, and I have no idea why they haven't implemented it - but a lot of people have posted things to the effect of "lol the player just becomes the ship haha cig are incompetent why dont they do it properly" without realising that they are doing it properly and they've played a ton of other games that do exactly this.

If you can't shoot the pilot in the head then it's not done properly. I don't care how they do it but I bet you can't even discuss the issue anywhere else so there's zero evidence they actually intend to.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought the real issue was that they're trying to implement physics inside the ship instead of handwaving inertial dampers or whatever magic would keep people from rocketing across the ship. And that's why the ships keep on loving up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tippis posted:

It's not that they're doing something wrong by doing it this way. It's that they're doing it poorly after having claimed that they wouldn't be using these kinds of tricks (somehow). The addition of letting the player control a complex object that affects other players is far from new, and the addition of a physics grid as part of that object is the only slightly fancy part (but isn't new either).

Again, it comes up over and over and it does discredit CIG because of the pigswill they've tried to sell about how it would work. Had they not tried to over-promise, here as everywhere else, no-one would bat an eyelid (other than maybe at how surprisingly badly they've implemented this fairly standard concept).

Ok so how are they supposed to do it? I said this in another post but do you want trespaseser-esqe control of your hands and you have to smash them into the the throttle like playing surgeon simulator? I don't think that allowing the pilot to posses the ship entity is a bad thing. It is the most sensible way to transfer control. Not having the player beign able to take damage while in that state is pants on head retarded and they should have fixed it in the first hotfix to the PTU.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

It being the fundamentals of the game doesn't mean that they won't alter / tune those fundamentals.

I should have more faith right? Can you link me something where they even discuss this?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/407yoc/derek_threatens_to_dox_again/cys6ckd

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxgz5KVEek

Nobody told me they added hood ornaments already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMoKjHlxBow

This is now my favourite video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzTccri3sE

Did we cover multiplayer desyncs yet?

Khanstant posted:

You'd have to render the whole scene again for each mirror, it's super performance intensive.

Good explanation: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-video-games-have-an-aversion-to-using-working-mirrors-in-their-environments

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Ok so how are they supposed to do it? I said this in another post but do you want trespaseser-esqe control of your hands and you have to smash them into the the throttle like playing surgeon simulator? I don't think that allowing the pilot to posses the ship entity is a bad thing. It is the most sensible way to transfer control. Not having the player beign able to take damage while in that state is pants on head retarded and they should have fixed it in the first hotfix to the PTU.

No-one knows. That's part of why people raised an eyebrow at the whole suggesting and started saying that it couldn't be done.

There are two issues at hand that need to be kept separate: the actual implementation in relation to what they said they were going to do, on the one hand, and the quality of implementation on the other. The fact that they're cheating when they said they wouldn't is funny; the fact that they're cheating badly makes it even funnier.

Daztek posted:

You'd have to render the whole scene again for each mirror, it's super performance intensive.

You also generally have to render parts of the scene that could otherwise be culled. It's a mirror; it shows the stuff that's in the opposite direction of what you're looking at — stuff that now has to be included and calculated where before it could just be instantly ignored.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Mirrors are easy to make, if you make a horror game in which every single mirror is cursed to be some kind of portal into another dimension.

If you want mirrors to act like real mirrors, uh that's kind of hard

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Sorry, perhaps I was unclear - I'm not saying this is fundamentally "wrong", but it does seem to be directly at odds with other game features.

Ship boarding is the biggest example of this, but multi-crew ships with the fidelity that they're claiming to have is another one.

CIG want us to be able to board a ship, have an FPS style gun fight with the crew as if the ship was an FPS level, but at the same time one or more of your opponents are embedded parts of the level that you're playing in.

Currently there's been no effort to resolve this, pilots are just the same as the chair or the windows - immortal parts of the ship geometry - but how DO they fix this? Have a "press F to kill the pilot" prompt? How do they fix this in a way that isn't clunky as hell?

I have no idea how they're planning to solve this but it seems like a direct conflict between CIG using the "normal" shortcuts that actually don't work when they're trying to make a game as complex as SC.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Chalks posted:

Why are the ring rotation animations so glitchy as if they're suffering from network lag? I've always noticed this and it doesn't make any sense. Why aren't the ring animations client side? Are they really trying to stream full dynamic structure animations directly from the server? What's the point of that?

The ring animations aren't client side because you are able to fly through the rings, so there is a moving collision volume that needs to support physical interaction with a network replicated object, meaning it too needs to be replicated. Nothing would break "immersion" (heh) so much as a connie flying full pelt through a pylon like it doesn't exist because the rotation is at a different phase in a peer's simulation.

'Course, there are other ways of approaching those types of problem (e.g. synchronized rotation based on elapsed time with drift correction, fixed physics time-step, etc), but this is likely a naive first pass.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Is there a wiki for this poo poo from the beginning? All I know about it is it's a huge scam, I deserve to know more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love you Dr. Smart

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I don't think CIG ever came out and expressly stated that they would not do things like this (I'm sure someone has a link if I'm wrong), but they sure as hell implied it, and that makes all the difference. They have been going balls-to-the-wall with making sure everyone out there knows that everything they are doing is unprecendented, and that's why they need north of 100 million dollars to do it. And please keep donating. Think of how long this game could have been out by now if they had stopped worrying about how they're coming across, and begging for all this adulation for making no technological compromises, with a healthy dose of a martyr complex on top, and just made a loving game already.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Botnit posted:

Is there a wiki for this poo poo from the beginning? All I know about it is it's a huge scam, I deserve to know more.

Yeah, the first post.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I was farting around Steam today and decided to take a look at some of Derek's games and reviews and stumbled across this unfavorable review of the UC DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMdoVRJ0dw

The interesting part that stuck out to me was the header of the review.

quote:

A big shout out and thank you to Matilda from Reddit for gifting me the DLC that made this video possible!

(bold emphasis added by me)

Also funny is a comment from some person:

Matilda = Derek

:psypop:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bootcha posted:

Goonz iz made fer fightin'.

I always preferred to think of goons as Imperial Guard. Were a bunch of neckbeards fighting with paper armor and little laser guns until we drop the Baneblade on to the field.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
give them time and they'll even accuse Roberts of being Smart

heh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I love that defense. None of this important to me, I'm as cool as a cucumber when I write angry diatribes, and I do them all in like 5 seconds so it's all nothing to me.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Daztek posted:

Yeah, the first post.

First post is only a few months back, people have been saying this is a scam on the forums for years haven't they?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Botnit posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/14695-Star-Citizen-Controversy-Reaches-a-Boiling-Point

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tippis posted:

You also generally have to render parts of the scene that could otherwise be culled. It's a mirror; it shows the stuff that's in the opposite direction of what you're looking at — stuff that now has to be included and calculated where before it could just be instantly ignored.

Put the game camera on the mirror surface and have it take a picture!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

The ring animations aren't client side because you are able to fly through the rings, so there is a moving collision volume that needs to support physical interaction with a network replicated object, meaning it too needs to be replicated. Nothing would break "immersion" (heh) so much as a connie flying full pelt through a pylon like it doesn't exist because the rotation is at a different phase in a peer's simulation.

'Course, there are other ways of approaching those types of problem (e.g. synchronized rotation based on elapsed time with drift correction, fixed physics time-step, etc), but this is likely a naive first pass.

It's a very typically CIG problem. The rings rotate because it looks good, it has no gameplay reason, but because of "immersion" they need to have a server overhead for the once in a million years when you fly into them. Usually you'd have static rings then if you find yourself with spare server resources (lol) you can add additional network packets and server overhead to cope with them rotating - but no, it's CIG, so we're going to have a fully animated and network synchronised dynamic station structure purely because it looks cool when 90% of the mechanics that will cause actual server overhead haven't even been written yet.

Style over substance: the video game.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

AP posted:

The whole thing looks like a mess of spaghetti code to me, I mean how difficult is it not to recreate the avatar model immediately after death for a split second? Making the engine do something is difficult you'd think not making it do something is easier and this would be one of the first things you fix. But it's pretty obvious they ditched the whole FPS branch of the code.

I guess that's possibly why they had the outside developer stop work on it to bring the code "in house" and would also explain why the outside developer made statements that sound like it was an unexpected and confusing decision. It probably made no sense to stop development when they did, unless they realised they would never use any of it making the whole exercise a waste of time and money.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Thanks broseph, see you dudes in 1,200 pages

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Put the game camera on the mirror surface and have it take a picture!

Sure. It's not that it can't be done — and even fairly easily in most modern engines — it's that it generally costs too much to be worth the bother. You'll notice that if and when they show up, it's often in conveniently small and contained environments that are easy to render regardless.

There's also the issue of showing the player character, which means modelling the player character, both of which some games prefer not to if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Doesn't this basically show that warping is in fact a loading screen?

• Locked thread