Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
He is not wrong that FPS games are way easier to pick up, understand, and get moving than basically any strategy game out there, it's just easy to forget that games are big the same general way space is big. As in, the market is so big it's impossible to comprehend how big it is. There are games for neckbearded grognards to games for harassed housewives with 5 minutes a day to play. And everyone in between. You don't need to fight tooth and nail for a huge sector of space in a battle you will never win. Just conquer a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

The sad bit was that the Bureau wasn't actually just a complete pile of garbage, it was actually a halfway decent game hamstrung by a lot of internal development shakeups. If it hadn't had to deal with being saddled with the XCOM license OR if it had been developed with less stop-and-start-over it could have been a really solid title.

Would have been fascinating to see the original version of the game that had bizarre silicoid enemies with crystals and weird geometries everywhere. C'est la vie.

STILL has one of the best twists in gaming.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Do we know if the game is shipping with second wave options? If I remember right I think we had to wait for them with EU
They're not exposed in the preview build, new game just gets you difficulty/beginner vo/subtitles. Not heard of them confirming them for release, it's just what everyone hopes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

The sad bit was that the Bureau wasn't actually just a complete pile of garbage, it was actually a halfway decent game hamstrung by a lot of internal development shakeups. If it hadn't had to deal with being saddled with the XCOM license OR if it had been developed with less stop-and-start-over it could have been a really solid title.

I was surprised I never regretted picking it up. It's a mess, but it still did enough right and was fun enough to play that I'd have loved to see what that team could've made without the troubles.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Superstring posted:

For those that missed this stream:

https://a.pomf.cat/qtrafq.webm

Also: https://a.pomf.cat/gcgtoc.webm

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speedball posted:

Would have been fascinating to see the original version of the game that had bizarre silicoid enemies with crystals and weird geometries everywhere. C'est la vie.

STILL has one of the best twists in gaming.

I found Bureau endearing and enjoyable for at least one playthrough, and it scratched the Mass Effect style game itch about as well as I could have asked. It even had Garrus's voice actor as a generic team mate option so you could have him all game long.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So beautiful :911:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Also, a video of a someone who successfully hacked the XCOM 2 version of everyone's favorite robotic enemy and takes it for a test drive right here.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So is he just modding in a ridiculous number of soldiers to see how silly awesome the overwatch can look?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Caros posted:

So is he just modding in a ridiculous number of soldiers to see how silly awesome the overwatch can look?

More or less yes, and it was glorious.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love everything about xcom's gameplay, the mechanics, the cover based poo poo and skills and whatever, but always felt like EU/EW stressed me out with the failstate countdown and if I researched the wrong thing or just took too long to "capture a ____" it ruined the fun. I'm wondering how the options will be with XCOM2 in regards to not exactly giving me ultra-easy mode but what can be toggled to ease up on the other poo poo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I love everything about xcom's gameplay, the mechanics, the cover based poo poo and skills and whatever, but always felt like EU/EW stressed me out with the failstate countdown and if I researched the wrong thing or just took too long to "capture a ____" it ruined the fun. I'm wondering how the options will be with XCOM2 in regards to not exactly giving me ultra-easy mode but what can be toggled to ease up on the other poo poo.

It looks like there's less opportunity cost for researching the "wrong" thing because now if you research something deep in the tech tree, earlier researches automatically become "instant". So you're able to backfill easily.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

It looks like there's less opportunity cost for researching the "wrong" thing because now if you research something deep in the tech tree, earlier researches automatically become "instant". So you're able to backfill easily.
Wait, really? Like if you get far enough into weaponry, going back for carapace or whatever becomes instant research? Huh.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's unlikely that option will be in the base game, but it is almost definitely going to show up as a mod.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, really? Like if you get far enough into weaponry, going back for carapace or whatever becomes instant research? Huh.

Yeah, it happened several times when Beagle was deep-teching for Magnetic Weapons early.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xcom 2 is a very serious game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 10, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
XCOM2's ragdoll game is on point.

Ravenfood posted:

You can also visit the black market (I think it was the black market at least) and pay to rush research.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Speedball posted:

that sounds a bit better than how the tech tree was setup in the previous game

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Horde Mode 24-man XCOM sounds like the best game ever made, god bless Beags

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

LightWarden posted:

Also, a video of a someone who successfully hacked the XCOM 2 version of everyone's favorite robotic enemy and takes it for a test drive right here.

Holy poo poo advent gets their own skyranger :eyepop: Also full control of a sectopod seems like it's amazing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speedball posted:

Yeah, it happened several times when Beagle was deep-teching for Magnetic Weapons early.

That's amazing. I know I tend to get hung up on the early game stuff I can do without like the carapace armor

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's unlikely that option will be in the base game, but it is almost definitely going to show up as a mod.

Yeah, pretty much all my "complaints" so far will be dealt with in a mod. Hopefully the Avatar Countdown won't be too difficult to tweak if it becomes irritating.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I am terrified of having to deal with that nightmare of a machine. 5 freakin' armor, lord have mercy.

Kai Tave posted:

This belongs in the OP.
That sequence is so satisfying after all the times on Impossible I had goddamn 5 pods of aliens spawn in a single turn on me. Perhaps it should be noted that if you suck, this is what happens to you on the receiving end.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Couple questions on MEC troopers:

1: Can they get injured in missions? I've had mine take some shots but they always come out unhurt at the end.

2: Is it better to augment someone low rank or high rank?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PantsBandit posted:

1: Can they get injured in missions? I've had mine take some shots but they always come out unhurt at the end.

1) Yes, the MEC suit just has a lot of health and soldiers only get injuried if damaged beyond their armor health. Since starting Kevlar gives 2 HP, any shot will damage a regular troop but MECs get like... 8? or so.

2) Depends on a few things. Heavies can be converted at any rank because they have the same Aim growth as MECs and have a good in-built skill (if playing with randomized stat gains MECs inexplicably get way better aim growth so convert Heavies asap).

Convert Snipers/Supports/Assaults as high as possible for their extra aim if you want shooty MECS.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Convert high, MECs get half experience gain.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
In XCOM 1, there is a distinction between armor and health, but on the Battlescape it all just shows up as the same pips. Augmenting someone doesn't change their health, but MEC exosuits have substantially more armor than personal armor.

Basically the way it works is that if you take damage, but it is less than your armor, the soldier isn't hurt and therefore has no recovery time. If your MEC ends the mission with like 2 pips left they will be wounded like anyone else.

As for when it makes sense to augment someone, that depends on a bunch of factors. But in practice, it makes sense to just augment early so you have the MECs you need. At least on vanilla. Long war is totally different as usual.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

poptart_fairy posted:

Hopefully the Avatar Countdown won't be too difficult to tweak if it becomes irritating.

It seems like the gist of the geoscape is that there's never any shortage of useful side stuff to do, but you have to balance that and the rewards you get from it versus the ticking clock and making sure you get the essentials so you can handle the plot missions. It also sounds like dark events get more dangerous as time goes on and the aliens will keep ramping up, so you'll have to restrain the impulse to faff around on the geoscape doing side stuff.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

PantsBandit posted:

1. Yes. Soldier HP is a combination of base HP from rank and then bonus HP from armor (starts at 1 for basic armor, goes up with tech level). Armor HP is depleted before regular HP is damaged, and as long as a soldier only takes armor HP damage then the solider isn't injured. Mechs in particular have a fuckton of armor from their suits (1st suit has 8 armor, goes up to 16 for tier 3, Shaped Armor foundry project adds 3 more on top of that) so they can take a hit or two especially if you have someone on hand to heal them. They can get injured if they take a bunch of damage that gets down into their normal HP, so don't get too cocky.

2. Depends on what you want, what you use, and what you have. Mech soldiers keep their aim bonus from their old class, so generally if you want a high-aim mech from a sniper or something you want to mech them as late as possible. However, mech growth is about as fast as heavy growth and punching doesn't require any aim, so meching a heavy the first chance you get isn't a bad idea (though due to the way the bonuses are assigned, meching a heavy at lieutenant gives better bonuses than meching a colonel or squaddie, so that's an option). If you have the hidden potential second wave option enabled then the mech class actually has a better aim growth than a heavy and is equal to an assault, so meching a heavy or an assault ASAP is a good idea.

So it's never really a bad idea to mech a heavy the first chance you get, because the special ability is great and they don't lose anything by going early. If you picked up Zhang then he's a prime candidate for mech augmentation. Later on, meching up a sniper is an idea, but so is just keeping that colonel sniper unless you've got too many of them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Beagle's Streams can be summed up in one phrase:

"There should be a mod..."

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Siegkrow posted:

Beagle's Streams can be summed up in one phrase:

"There should be a mod..."

The best part is we can say.

"This will be a mod."

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Squad movements to accommodate platoon size deployments, control 5 at a time and autosnap to cover. Keeping the theme of usually at least 4x the enemies as there are Xcom. Basically making Xcom into a RTS but turn based.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

64bitrobot posted:

The best part is we can say.

"This will be a mod."

Though the first mods, inevitably, will be nude mods, furry mods, and pony mods.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wonder if XCOM2 can support a permanent base so we can have XCOM1 and TFTD mods, or if the Avenger and map stuff is hard coded.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We've seen breakdowns of psionics and rangers, now it's time for the grenadier.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Though the first mods, inevitably, will be nude mods, furry mods, and pony mods.

This ain't Fallout.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colapops posted:

This ain't Fallout.

It's a highly moddable game. You overestimate the gaming community.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

It seems like the gist of the geoscape is that there's never any shortage of useful side stuff to do, but you have to balance that and the rewards you get from it versus the ticking clock and making sure you get the essentials so you can handle the plot missions. It also sounds like dark events get more dangerous as time goes on and the aliens will keep ramping up, so you'll have to restrain the impulse to faff around on the geoscape doing side stuff.

Yeah, I've got no problem with the game getting harder - even on Classic XCOM became pretty dull once you were past a certain point - but I'm slightly concerned about the Avatar countdown being an arbitrary limit, rather than a challenge. Still, they've earned the benefit of the doubt so I'm not complaining. :shobon:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LightWarden posted:

We've seen breakdowns of psionics and rangers, now it's time for the grenadier.

Man there are some tough choices in that tree. Especially nerfed rapid fire vs Salvo, suppression vs demolition....:allears:

Also the capstone abilities really seem like they'd pair way better with the opposite tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I've got no problem with the game getting harder - even on Classic XCOM became pretty dull once you were past a certain point - but I'm slightly concerned about the Avatar countdown being an arbitrary limit, rather than a challenge. Still, they've earned the benefit of the doubt so I'm not complaining. :shobon:

Well there's no terror/doom clock anymore, isn't the Avatar project basically the same thing? Don't see the problem.

E: Beagle made some non-specific remarks about the cover system changing, and Quill keeps talking about getting "better angles" on enemies - have they made Aiming Angels the default now?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread