Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

What they're doing is new and innovative though. The rest of the ship stuff with people being able to walk around it like a seperate map is impressive.

Wait. Explain this to me please because I'm probably missing something. What's innovative and impressive about it exactly?

ps: Most of us did that decades ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Why comment on a nine month old article? Why defend against a comment on a nine month old article?

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/wired/fans_have_dropped_77m_on_this_guy8217s_buggy_half_built_game/#comment-2450422017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

Roadbeer is one of those MWO Pubbie shitlers. He posted in the ketatoa subforum (which is the equivalent of either fyad or byob, whichever is more white noise, and where bad threads went on mwo to get poo poo posted to death), in an attempt to out white noise goons, somehow. I suspect that he likes us, but has no idea how to integrate himself into the group. So he's pissy that we get attention, and he does not.

The name seems familiar but most of the shitshow that was PGI/MWO is a distant blur.

It's also rather funny watching someone try to shitpost so hard to silence another group who bring up a point or whatever, it's not unique to MWO/SC I know but it just shows how fragile they are of anyone having a different opinion/critique than theirs and that the devs may listen to the other people instead.

What I'm saying is, these people have a long list of personality issues.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Am I the only one who isn't a loving moron whereby right there on the screen, when you click a profile box, you have the option to DELETE, ACCEPT, CANCEL and yet he claims he doesn't know WHAT to do on that profile screen? And he thinks he can play the game? LOL!!!

https://youtu.be/9hMdoVRJ0dw?t=300

In general he seems kind of dumb. IDK what game that is but lots of his compliants were annoying even not knowing what the deal is. at one point he is talking about the hyperdrives and I just had to close it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

BOOM. There it is. Karl is Matilda2013. Confirmed.

Or rather is probably married to her.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Google Butt posted:

The person that interrupted Derek on that podcast

That was a different Lizzy. It wasn't Liz Finnegan in the stream in which I was interrupted.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oh Karl honey, just comeback. We're not mad at you. :sympathy:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Am I the only one who isn't a loving moron whereby right there on the screen, when you click a profile box, you have the option to DELETE, ACCEPT, CANCEL and yet he claims he doesn't know WHAT to do on that profile screen? And he thinks he can play the game? LOL!!!

Derek, wtf, that's a horrible menu system. Just go full Samsung and copy it from some other games, don't have to re-invent the wheel :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chin posted:

Even that seems optimistic for a game that includes hundreds of procedurally generated planets with Crysis fidelity flora and fauna that you can hunt.

Well I wasn't even take that bullshit into account tbh

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Derek, this is an odd question mind you but is English your 2nd language? Your accent sounds like it is and it's been bugging me as to what kind of accent it is.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The people working on the game have to feel dread and horror when Chris says poo poo like that. I feel real bad for them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Derek, this is an odd question mind you but is English your 2nd language? Your accent sounds like it is and it's been bugging me as to what kind of accent it is.

I would have guessed South African but I am not good at telling that kinda stuff.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:

In general he seems kind of dumb. IDK what game that is but lots of his compliants were annoying even not knowing what the deal is. at one point he is talking about the hyperdrives and I just had to close it.

It's one of my games on Steam. Universal Combat The Lyrius Conflict

This is the SA thread to be exact.

He was given a free key by Matilda2013; so naturally, he's not biased at all. Nope.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Or rather is probably married to her.

No. It's the same person. It's not unheard of for guys pretending to be female online.

Then again, he's an habitual liar; so who knows?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Google Butt posted:

The people working on the game have to feel dread and horror when Chris says poo poo like that. I feel real bad for them.

quote:

Last thing I’ll mention is we have Chris Roberts himself put together an engineering task list for 2016 for all the various disciplines across the company in engineering department. We’ll be working here with the networking team, jason Kneeling heading that up to take a look at that list and make sure what we’re being asked is achievable and putting estimates on those tasks and scheduling those in.

Those poor people.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am part Lebanese, African American, British - all rolled up. I usually sport a British accent if I'm back over the pond, since I'm more comfortably speaking in that tongue without drawing attention to myself as I do over here in the US. If you listen carefully, you can hear the mix in my accent depending on what I'm saying and how.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

No. It's the same person. It's not unheard of for guys pretending to be female online.

Then again, he's an habitual liar; so who knows?

Yeah, it's not unheard of but it's also rather more heard of for a man and wife to have similar interests and also use the internet. All the similarities are explained by that without the need for a greater conspiracy theory.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

There's something about stretch goals - that I believe is worthy of mentioning here.

quote:

Remember: the system, like the new ships, is simply symbolic of what’s being added to Star Citizen with the additional money. Each stretch goal system represents additional artists, tools, programmers and new technologies that will make the finished project even better!
https://archive.is/9x61K#selection-1073.329-1073.599

quote:

"The additional funding that backers are providing let’s us secure the resources to build ships, planets and systems that go beyond the original budget… but not the original vision. Thank you for helping make Star Citizen all that much better, with more immersion and more choices that will allow players to shape their experiences."
https://archive.is/Runiv#selection-1089.0-1089.331

quote:

Remember that each stretch goal represents a broad array of improvements to Star Citizen: more staff, better equipment, more variety in the finished universe. The ships you choose are just a sample of what each million dollars lets us add to the game!
https://archive.is/BQr76#selection-1105.0-1105.252

I guess my overall concern is - did Roberts write a way out of having to deliver? By calling the stretch goals "symbolic"?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I can't process what I just saw. The cheering over it... oh god

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chalks posted:

Yeah, it's not unheard of but it's also rather more heard of for a man and wife to have similar interests and also use the internet. All the similarities are explained by that without the need for a greater conspiracy theory.

What? I find it harder to believe there are two insane people who just happened to share the same hobbies and internet shitposting habits. In that scenario, it would only take one person to be like "hey, stop, grow up, be a human."

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't process what I just saw. The cheering over it... oh god

Not nearly as bad as the aim of CR. What the hell?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D_Smart posted:

I am part Lebanese, African American, British - all rolled up. I usually sport a British accent if I'm back over the pond, since I'm more comfortably speaking in that tongue without drawing attention to myself as I do over here in the US. If you listen carefully, you can hear the mix in my accent depending on what I'm saying and how.

The Lebanese/British mix is probably what I'm catching.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I always forget about the C&C module which allows you to play an RTS from your bridge.

In-game "Voice Attack" system - what is this?

Voice attack is a 3rd party software that translate vocal command in to controls in game. Its very nice for Elite : Dangerous and you can configure it with various voice pack done by Actors.

It can also be programmed to react to some response, like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DsvqMpriI

the voice attack software warn the guy to stop swearing, and since he does not and tell the AI to "Shut up", the "AI" eject his cargo as punishment. It can also provide narration, quotes and give "travel facts" to various in game location and events.

Its a nice change of pace from podcasts or classical opera while space truckin. You can even get a cheap one (1/3 of a normal pack cost) to simulate a "Ship's cat" to keep you virtual company
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGeb0ROTN4

I assume SC promised to have the feature "built in" instead of being 3rd party with easy integration like in E:D. Can you imagine the sultry voice of Ms. Gardiner guiding you to the stars ?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Khanstant posted:

What? I find it harder to believe there are two insane people who just happened to share the same hobbies and internet shitposting habits. In that scenario, it would only take one person to be like "hey, stop, grow up, be a human."

I imagine that if he is married his wife may well have a similar personality style to him. Unless we're gonna extrapolate this to say all cultists are the same person because literally no two people could be that mad.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

D_Smart posted:

Ben kingsley can do all those accents when he plays you in the movie i'm sure, he just needs to nail the "Let me loving finish" :]

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

aleksendr posted:

Can you imagine the sultry voice of Ms. Gardiner guiding you to the stars ?

No. I can imagine her voice guiding me to a noose, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I'm not getting annoyed at that. Not allowing the mounted players to take damage is dumb as hell, and I have no idea why they haven't implemented it - but a lot of people have posted things to the effect of "lol the player just becomes the ship haha cig are incompetent why dont they do it properly" without realising that they are doing it properly and they've played a ton of other games that do exactly this.

You're rendering the entire view twice. The game becomes twice as demanding when a mirror is in view. It also does some exciting things if you're trying to do clever tricks with depth buffers and whatever in your game and then suddenly you're doing it twice and its flipped and you're looking at it from the other side and oh god

You hear that Sandi? This guy thinks your husband can't make a video game with mirrors.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Ben kingsley can do all those accents when he plays you in the movie i'm sure, he just needs to nail the "Let me loving finish" :]

He did a pretty sweet accent in Gandhi.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Khanstant posted:

It is exactly trickery no matter how common it is.

Ok so what should they do instead? What is the non-trickery way of doing it?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Am I going to find out on page 125 that Sandi isn't really that hot because her IMDB looks pretty drat hot.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That theroadbeer guy is great, http://snoopsnoo.com/u/TheRoadbeer

He's got more posts in the /r/dereksmart than karl.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chalks posted:

I imagine that if he is married his wife may well have a similar personality style to him. Unless we're gonna extrapolate this to say all cultists are the same person because literally no two people could be that mad.
It's more than just shared personality traits.

Raess2014 posted:

Me myself studied biology and earned my doctorate degree in tumour and HIV/HCV research, was regulatory affairs manager, project manager and quality assurance manager in some small to SME companies and currently working as an auditor for medical devices which gives me deep insight in many development processes, how a company works incl. funidng, how management work and so on.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3002324/#Comment_3002324

Matilda2013 posted:

Like you can see on my profile I am an auditor currently working for the TÜV in Germany. My department is monitoring companies producing medical devices (including software) and also investigating if anything unusual is going on (consumer fraud, fakes, CE mark misuse and so on).
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lj5nf/the_last_derek_smart_thread_well_ever_need/cv9mcjc

Matilda2013 posted:

As I said I work as an auditor but my journey began with studying sciences (PhD in biology field: immunology, virology, genetics and cell biology, second field physics).
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lj5nf/the_last_derek_smart_thread_well_ever_need/cv9mcoz

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I don't think anyone can explain it anymore, it IS trickery that doesn't make it bad, the point everyone's trying to make is smoke and mirrors is never a bad thing it's absoloutely needed in all videogames for all manner of things.

But cig is saying "Oh we can do this and that and we don't need all these tricks (even though they do) we can do it totally a million times better (they can't) that's what everyone's telling you.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Botnit posted:

Am I going to find out on page 125 that Sandi isn't really that hot because her IMDB looks pretty drat hot.

who gives a poo poo

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I do, if she turns out to not be hot I'm going to need reassurance that Derek Smart is hot enough to keep my attention for 1,199 more pages

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don't thinka hyone can explain it anymore, it IS trickery that doesn't make it bad, the point everyone's trying to make is smoke and mirrors is never a bad thing it's absoloutely needed in all videogames for all manner of things.

But cig is saying "Oh we can do this and that and we don't need all these tricks (even though they do) we can do it totally a million times better (they can't) that's what everyone's telling you.

and the point I'm trying to get across is that it isn't smoke and mirrors when its the only solution. Trickery or smoke and mirrors or whatever isn't bad, I get that, but it still implies that they're taking the easy way out and aren't doing it the proper way. They're not wriggling out of some promised high fidelity feature. There is no real other way of doing it. What are they pretending to do?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I don't know and don't think they should. There's nothing wrong with trickery. It's a loving videogame, it's trickery from the ground up.

edit: Smoke and mirrors is still smoke and mirrors even if you're doing the Smoke and Mirrors trick.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Did I Reddit right?
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40dkko/squadron_42_shoutout_courtesy_gillian_anderson/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

video games are real to me dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TTerrible posted:

and the point I'm trying to get across is that it isn't smoke and mirrors when its the only solution. Trickery or smoke and mirrors or whatever isn't bad, I get that, but it still implies that they're taking the easy way out and aren't doing it the proper way. They're not wriggling out of some promised high fidelity feature. There is no real other way of doing it. What are they pretending to do?

But no one is saying they're taking the easy way out? If anything they're making things infinitely harder for themselves through incompetence?

• Locked thread