Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im cute
Sep 21, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I wouldn't mind running around in the early game instead of fast traveling so much if there wasn't that canyon in the middle of the map that you have no way of getting around except for going through. Thankfully you don't have to travel through it that many times but it's a pretty annoying windy detour full of trash mobs.

If you mean the canyon between Gran Soren and Cassardis, they did throw a permanent fast travel point right next to town just to help cut down on that slog. But if you meant like, the trek to Granwall or Bluemoon Tower or even across that fat chunk of hobgoblins in the southwest, yeah I feel you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Genocyber posted:

According to threads on the Steam forums ultra-wide resolutions are hosed.

Bleh, if so then it will be refund time. There really is no excuse to gently caress that up in this day and age. I'll hold out hope and see for myself, though. There's always the posibility someone will fix it via mod.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Can't wait to make my fat neckbeard self in this again.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

The Marauder posted:

The thing I am wondering about most is how well the PC port will handle non-standard/ultra-wide resolutions. I just hope the UI doesn't end up all stretched out and terrible looking.

From the Steam FAQ thread (updated on the 8th):

quote:

Q) Does the game still have letterboxing? [*UPDATED* Jan.8]
A) PC version now features full screen rendering without letterboxing on standard 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen monitors. 21:9 ultra widescreen monitors are not supported natively due to fixed UI elements.

Modding's not out of the question yet, though.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
How hard is hard mode? Worth giving a shot?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I made a PC thread.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

It's bad. The only things it does to make the game harder are to make you take twice as much damage (but not your pawns), make enemies harder to stagger/knock around, and doubles the stamina consumption of abilities. That's it. Meanwhile it also double EXP and Gold drops. This basically means the beginning of the game is even harder, while everything past that is easier thanks to the boatloads of HP/Gold you get. BBI is slightly harder since even more things oneshot you now, but that's also not my idea of a good difficulty increaser.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Literally the only reasons to do Hard Mode is for quick money/exp, Duke's Clothes, or for masochistic e-peen lengthening.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Had a chance to see the ultrawide in dd. Its detected by the game but its super hosed. It takes away the black bars but its like the game is zoomed in weirdly. I think itd be easy to fix though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how replayable is this? Can I do New Game+'s? I heard so. If so, does everything just die in one hit eventually due to there being no increased challenge?

Are there randomized dungeons? Or does everything use a set piece system of design?

Really considering picking this up since i've heard a lot about it. But I wasn't sure how much time i'll actually get out of it.

Edit: So i'm guessing story content isn't "leveled" or whatever? How is a new game+ encouraged?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 11, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
newgame+ is actively encouraged, though things do get easy pretty quickly for the story quests. I usually wait until NG+ for the expansion content, though, since around then you're a good level to take on all of it. There aren't randomized dungeons, but between the main game and bitterblack isle, there's more than enough content

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Archonex posted:

Can I do New Game+'s? I heard so. If so, does everything just die in one hit eventually due to there being no increased challenge?

Yes. And yes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

New Game+ is pretty garbage but this is a fairly lengthy game that I've found fun enough to play through like 6 times, focusing on different classes. Even as someone who doesn't replay stuff often, I had a great time on every run.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There is a reason why I've been hoping / whining for a mod that will multiply spawns.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Well that sucks. Hopefully the game will be fairly moddable. If it's as big of a deal as i've heard it made out to be I could see some interest there.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
here's this for people looking for into free, i just made a sweet music video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1JUZFFi8M

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Thumbtacks posted:

here's this for people looking for into free, i just made a sweet music video for it

yeah that's instantly not available in the united states 'cause reasons. Oh well.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
What's the story there anyway? Blocked on Youtube, got removed for Dark Arisen. I'm confused about what happened.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

havenwaters posted:

yeah that's instantly not available in the united states 'cause reasons. Oh well.

I'm IN the United States. How's that even possible?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Arthil posted:

What's the story there anyway? Blocked on Youtube, got removed for Dark Arisen. I'm confused about what happened.

Not sure about Youtube but it was removed because they only licensed it for the original PS3/X360 versions for it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
alright i'm gonna fix this poo poo

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm IN the United States. How's that even possible?

Works for me, shrug. (Maple Syrup Country).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Im_Special posted:

Works for me, shrug. (Maple Syrup Country).

Same here.

Canadians are just simply more in tune to the Dangan.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Thumbtacks posted:

You realize Content ID doesn't give a gently caress about what you name it or the contents of it. It's a direct comparison. Youtube picked up that the song was Dangan and then applied whatever copyright poo poo it needed to apply to it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dexo posted:

You realize Content ID doesn't give a gently caress about what you name it or the contents of it. It's a direct comparison. Youtube picked up that the song was Dangan and then applied whatever copyright poo poo it needed to apply to it.

yeah i figured that out

oh well back to the g4 links

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So, can we unlock this yet by VPNing or...?

Gotta get my fix!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

yeah i figured that out

oh well back to the g4 links

just use https://streamable.com/8e6t i guess

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
UGH! Just preordered and am pre-loading the game, I already know what I'm doing all weekend.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

So, can we unlock this yet by VPNing or...?

Gotta get my fix!
Nah global release in ~6 hours

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Not sure if anyone linked the new/PC release thread, but it's here if you missed it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
More games need to let you pick up your friends and throw them off a cliff, dashing them onto the rocks below.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I got really confused when I picked up a leather chest piece for my strider and I was still wearing the lovely starter shirt. Turns out there's a clothing and armor slot, what's the real difference between each?

Also how do core skills work? Are they automatic? I can't seem to equip them like I can augments and weapon skills.

Edit: On a strider what are important abilities and weapons? I've noticed that my daggers are near useless against undead unless I have a magical damage bonus on it (fire). Could I use maces on him?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Demiurge4 posted:

I got really confused when I picked up a leather chest piece for my strider and I was still wearing the lovely starter shirt. Turns out there's a clothing and armor slot, what's the real difference between each?

Also how do core skills work? Are they automatic? I can't seem to equip them like I can augments and weapon skills.

Clothing goes under your armor. That's pretty much it. You just get to use an extra piece of potential buff/stat increase on your chest and legs.

Core skills are basically different button presses, more about timing than anything. If you're looking at one there should be an option to get more information--it was the square button on the PS3 and the X button on the XBox--and pulling up that info will tell you the series of button presses you need to use the core skills.

EDIT: Yoops. Yeah, undead are like that. You can get weapons with elemental properties, or you can hire a mage pawn to throw enchantments ('boons') on your non-elemental weapons. That's like half of what they do. Weapons are really mostly a case of 'higher numbers better'.

Picayune fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 16, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Undead are jerks, got it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Undead are more vulnerable to blunt damage, but only warriors and mystic knights really have any access to that.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
That messed me up in Everfall. Rolling through on a mage main with a healer off-pawn as backup, my group loving crushed the undead and the ogre conveniently leapt to his death so we get to the bottom and I assume the boss will be tough but fair, right? :mad:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Core skills use different button presses. For example, the Roundelay core skill that dagger classes get is a heavy attack combo done by holding down the heavy attack button instead of tapping it. Or Engrave is a delay combo--press light attack, wait for the animation to just finish, then press it again and you'll do high kicks. (The game does not communicate this well.) Some of those alternate combos are really good. I like Dire Onslaught for swords/maces a lot--press light attack, wait a moment, then start tapping again and you do a longer combo.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

That messed me up in Everfall. Rolling through on a mage main with a healer off-pawn as backup, my group loving crushed the undead and the ogre conveniently leapt to his death so we get to the bottom and I assume the boss will be tough but fair, right? :mad:

Don't worry. You can get your revenge later. :black101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Emong posted:

Undead are more vulnerable to blunt damage, but only warriors and mystic knights really have any access to that.

Strider, ranger, assassin and magick archer can do blunt damage too by just repeatedly roundhouse kicking poo poo in the face.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Engrave

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Finally started tasting that sweet Ur-Dragon forging and I have to ask, when's the best time to go for it and when's the best time to move on? Like when it hits Generation 34 and you wait for it cool back down or what?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I just did the back to back grace periods for gens 32 & 33, then fought gen 34 five times in a row without seeing it's health bar move between fights. Ur-Dragon is a weird boss, but I got a Abyssinal Set from my first grace kill and dragon forged it in my second so I'll take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Finally started tasting that sweet Ur-Dragon forging and I have to ask, when's the best time to go for it and when's the best time to move on? Like when it hits Generation 34 and you wait for it cool back down or what?

Console Ur-Dragons are in the five digit generations most likely, my friend. It goes into grace every couple of weeks, I think.

PC online Urdy is going through a few generations per day. Keep your eye on the thread when you're cruising through Gransys (I keep a tab open in the Steam browser) and go for it whenever someone calls grace. Grace period lasting ~10 I hear, so you'll have to be vigilant.

• Locked thread