Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

celewign posted:

Tonight he would break out the fleshlight, a reward for another great day in the 'verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mirificus posted:

CIG want/need constructive criticism. That's why they have a Concern forum where they send threads to die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zzm2h/drama_the_responsening_inn/cyqoe0h

There is some very impressive tightrope walking going on in order to maintain that the email conversation is completely fictional while simultaneously being an example of posting a private conversation.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lowtax posted:

I think the situation here is slightly different, due to the fact that one of Star Citizen's major selling points was that they were going to be so involved with the community. They've repeatedly made it sound like their decisions are based around the community, and they are always listening to the community, and there is nothing more important to them but the community... and then they delete everything and ignore the community who submitted issues preventing them from being able to use their product successfully.

So yeah, they'll listen to their community... but only if they are talking about new ways to give them more money.

The official forums have an increasing number of special subforums which cannot be viewed unless you are logged in which serve as repositories for topics/conversations that are deemed undesirable. Anything from inquiries after scope creep to questions regarding design choices/ship issues enjoy being shuffled off and, in the case of the 'concern' forum (which used to be located at the literal bottom of the forum lists until an ongoing outcry at how openly dismissive that was shifted it to a subsection of a subforum) a mandatory upvote/downvote which provides knights with the option to spam dismiss any issues.

These changes are generally widely praised as eliminating toxicity from the community and standing as examples of CIG's involvement with the community to let the real voices stand out.

There's something to be said for persons feeling that their voices are being heard by witnessing alternative viewpoints being shot and rolled into a ditch. Afterall, if CIG isn't chucking you into the bin you must be in the right.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The forums are so bad they've resorted to asking for PTU feedback on Reddit

PTU 2.1D Feedback Thread

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

PTU 2.1D Feedback Thread

they should delete the thread after it gets too many replies

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zzm2h/drama_the_responsening_inn/cyr0ley

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah, you're really giving quite a bit of leeway to a company that repeatedly demonstrated poor practices. The majority of their tickets clearly only require a canned response because they aren't tied to production. What do their hypothetical tickets look like?

I'm not giving them any leeway, I just see a bunch of hyperbole about ticketing and when you can clear tickets down, so I'm giving the benefit of experience of _why_.

I'd suggest that a bunch related to not being able to connect when they released PTU or other issues. A Third Party *loving up* can blow up my ticket queues to the extent where I have to do a bulk close with a link to the relevant post-mortem. Hanlon's razor, duder.

People here are assuming some vast level of malfesance from simply bulk updating a bunch of tickets to closed; if it matters, re-submit your ticket or hit the link on the confirmation emails that says 'reopen ticket'.

quote:

Corporates also avoid months long backlog because it is unacceptable. Do tickets get dropped due to turnover? Of course, but more get transferred than are dropped. You don't clear queues because the year changed, that's moronic.

Nah, you're operating on the principle that there is *one true way*, when it's actually more whatever they want to do. You missed my point about a _project manager_; That position is the one that strong-arms the ticketing to match the current loving roadmap and keeps the whole thing on task, whether you're scrum, Kanban or another delightful melange. There problem has always been that Monday morning feature dump not getting integrated into the current plan for rollout. That's why they keep changing direction.

My own corporate has backlogs measured in years. If you don't think that's possible, go look at the speed of IPv6 rollout, or the fact that security got a kick in the rear end two years ago, and we're _still_ looking for solid device-based encryption for load balancing. (Actually, I tell a lie, we ordered the kit a couple of weeks ago, but there's three main players in load balancing, and one (1) had hardware encryption. Forward drops on software encryption are loving scary.)

And yeah, we do clear down tickets from time-to-time. I won't argue that it isn't moronic, but looking at a large pile getting larger isn't actually going to help, and the vast majority will be bullshit problems that spike around software rollouts..

AP posted:

I did it once years ago when I got handed a poo poo job of sorting a failing department out after it became obvious the guy in charge didn't give a poo poo and was looking for another job. Closed all the active support escalations as they'd been waiting months and the whole thing was a mess, these were the complicated issues. Clean slate and fasted track anyone who came back. The front line guys got grief for a couple of weeks taking details again and I wasn't popular but better two weeks of pain than trying to continue with something broken. My boss thought I was a genius, he didn't care how I sorted it, he just wanted it fixed.

Yep. The etch-a-sketch school of fulfillment. Sometimes it's the only thing you can do, but I'd qualify that although I consider CiG to be suffering from some really bad management, I don't think this is a universally bad move or one that speaks to the internal state of CiG. Like you said, after a certain amount of time you don't want to ask people if they still have the same issue that they did X months ago.

Happens frequently when there's a management reshuffle, as they have roughly two quarters to shine in front of the board, and the first thing they do is attack the low-hanging fruit - ticket metrics, code cruft and ownership. They dump failing properties or perceived failing properties because it's easier and quicker than fixing them.

That's happened to me more times than I can count. Again, business as usual.

Lowtax posted:

I think the situation here is slightly different, due to the fact that one of Star Citizen's major selling points was that they were going to be so involved with the community.

Not for me, I just wanted another Wing Commander. Certainly they keep suggesting that their development is 'open', but that's entirely bullshit compared with what we're actually seeing. It's just greenwashing by another name.

Again, Hanlon's razor applies. They're incompetent, not geniuses. Everyone makes fun of Sandi's emails, but they're a fairly desparate attempt to gain credibility, and are indicative that Beer actually mattered to her/them.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I find it pretty amusing when people claim we're "hiding behind a paywall," but never explain what exactly we're hiding from. From what I recall, the sole reason I put up a paywall in the first place was to prohibit people spamming the forums with endless gimmick accounts that would do nothing but try to ruin threads by posting the same gigantic image repeatedly, or helpfully contributing to the community by calling people faggots. If there was no paywall, I absolutely guarantee you this thread would be overflowing with replies by people from a certain community intent on letting Derek Smart know he's a stupid friend of the family who should be lynched because he doesn't like their favorite video game.

So I guess if he's insinuating we're using the paywall to hide from absolute loving idiots, yes, that is true.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The paywall protects us from the deadly gaze of Reddit.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lowtax posted:

I find it pretty amusing when people claim we're "hiding behind a paywall," but never explain what exactly we're hiding from. From what I recall, the sole reason I put up a paywall in the first place was to prohibit people spamming the forums with endless gimmick accounts that would do nothing but try to ruin threads by posting the same gigantic image repeatedly, or helpfully contributing to the community by calling people faggots. If there was no paywall, I absolutely guarantee you this thread would be overflowing with replies by people from a certain community intent on letting Derek Smart know he's a stupid friend of the family who should be lynched because he doesn't like their favorite video game.

So I guess if he's insinuating we're using the paywall to hide from absolute loving idiots, yes, that is true.

As I recall RSI forum have 2 subforum paywall

1) subscriber sub forum - need to pay 10 - 20 dollars per month
2) concierge sub forum - drop 1k and above to star citizen and you ate in.

Edit: to add to be able to post something in general chat or mainly other sub forums you need to buy at least a $5 skin now.... So yeah RSI is completely not a pay wall forum lol

And the subscriber sub forum treats general chat guys as second rated poo poo lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Tarkaroshe complaining about a paywall is rather rich.

The profile in question.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Wesha

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
well, he's not entirely wrong

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Hav posted:

I'm not giving them any leeway, I just see a bunch of hyperbole about ticketing and when you can clear tickets down, so I'm giving the benefit of experience of _why_.

I'd suggest that a bunch related to not being able to connect when they released PTU or other issues. A Third Party *loving up* can blow up my ticket queues to the extent where I have to do a bulk close with a link to the relevant post-mortem. Hanlon's razor, duder.

People here are assuming some vast level of malfesance from simply bulk updating a bunch of tickets to closed; if it matters, re-submit your ticket or hit the link on the confirmation emails that says 'reopen ticket'.

Nah, you're operating on the principle that there is *one true way*, when it's actually more whatever they want to do. You missed my point about a _project manager_; That position is the one that strong-arms the ticketing to match the current loving roadmap and keeps the whole thing on task, whether you're scrum, Kanban or another delightful melange. There problem has always been that Monday morning feature dump not getting integrated into the current plan for rollout. That's why they keep changing direction.

My own corporate has backlogs measured in years. If you don't think that's possible, go look at the speed of IPv6 rollout, or the fact that security got a kick in the rear end two years ago, and we're _still_ looking for solid device-based encryption for load balancing. (Actually, I tell a lie, we ordered the kit a couple of weeks ago, but there's three main players in load balancing, and one (1) had hardware encryption. Forward drops on software encryption are loving scary.)

And yeah, we do clear down tickets from time-to-time. I won't argue that it isn't moronic, but looking at a large pile getting larger isn't actually going to help, and the vast majority will be bullshit problems that spike around software rollouts..

Yep. The etch-a-sketch school of fulfillment. Sometimes it's the only thing you can do, but I'd qualify that although I consider CiG to be suffering from some really bad management, I don't think this is a universally bad move or one that speaks to the internal state of CiG. Like you said, after a certain amount of time you don't want to ask people if they still have the same issue that they did X months ago.

Happens frequently when there's a management reshuffle, as they have roughly two quarters to shine in front of the board, and the first thing they do is attack the low-hanging fruit - ticket metrics, code cruft and ownership. They dump failing properties or perceived failing properties because it's easier and quicker than fixing them.

That's happened to me more times than I can count. Again, business as usual.

Not for me, I just wanted another Wing Commander. Certainly they keep suggesting that their development is 'open', but that's entirely bullshit compared with what we're actually seeing. It's just greenwashing by another name.

Again, Hanlon's razor applies. They're incompetent, not geniuses. Everyone makes fun of Sandi's emails, but they're a fairly desparate attempt to gain credibility, and are indicative that Beer actually mattered to her/them.

You sound like you work for Comcast, do you work for Comcast?

As a person with experience in the same industry, what you are describing is a way to do it sure, but definitely the only or even best way. I never accepted mass ticket closure that occurs regardless and irrespective of the ticket subject as acceptable, and I wouldn't expect customers to accept it. Especially in a business that only exists because of crowd funding.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So has Matilda/Karl/Dr. Wily ever written positively about Star Citizen without it also being a reaction to criticism or part of an attack on Derek and/or goons?

Like I know we've been cherry-picking posts for comedy, but that would seem odd that someone that seemingly supports the project that strongly can't relate anything positive about it.

EDIT: Oh and I got a PM from Seraph, I feel flattered (and a little dirty)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God drat. My water heater flooded my garage and ruined my floors, my ceiling fan desperately wants to become a bonfire, and David Bowie died.

Croberts, I don't know how this is your fault, but I know it is.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lowtax posted:

To be honest, the paywall is probably one of the biggest reasons that the Games forum on SA is one of the better (if not the best) gaming forum on the internet, and like 100000x better than reddit.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh but on the bright side I got a PM from Octopedo. So that's nice.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
This thread is worth the whole $10. I came for the Archeage, EvE, random poo poo-mmo news, and stayed for the Pgabz videos about this train wreck of a "game".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

PTU 2.1D Feedback Thread

Some of that thread is hilarious;

* They appear to have problems with additive sound, resulting in some people being deafened by some sounds.
* Clipping appears to be a consistent issue. This is connected to having your ship objects being translated at the same time as the individual person objects, and represents one of the 'pillars' of the technical issues that we're interested in getting fixed.
* Physics is still glitching, with interception errors on hitboxes causing the ships to bounce.
* They broke TrackIR support.

Reading between the lines, they seem to be suffering from a load on particular systems that's connected with tracking objects; they've lowered the debris lifetime.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bait and Swatch posted:

You sound like you work for Comcast, do you work for Comcast?

No, but I know a man who did. Briefly. Comcast is on my 'avoid' list.

Bait and Swatch posted:

As a person with experience in the same industry, what you are describing is a way to do it sure, but definitely the only or even best way. I never accepted mass ticket closure that occurs regardless and irrespective of the ticket subject as acceptable, and I wouldn't expect customers to accept it. Especially in a business that only exists because of crowd funding.

Yes. Although personally speaking I tend to ignore the mythical 'customer' in favour of the task. The 'Customer' is a fairly wishy-washy concept that mainly exists to create pressure. See the 'Pareto principle', then apply an angry monkey. Angry monkeys have a tendency to be able to gently caress with Pareto because they're an Angry Monkey.

Again, gonna draw a line between first line and what I do, which is so far back from the first line that it's ridiculous. Speaking in general, and not to you personally, there's a difference between the first line of support, which answers the dumbest loving questions and triage's tickets for second line and deeper into the structure. At a certain level you're pretty much trusted to not do dumb 'Workaholics' bullshit as long as you have a good reason and can hold your own in any inevitable meeting. I am not suggesting that YOU are first line, but the statement from CiG indicates to me that they were clearing down first line.

However, given that they're asking for updates on a thread on Reddit, I suspect that the developers are trying to unfuck their queue into 80/20.

We're roughly on the same page with regard to this whole thing, I just find the personal attacks distasteful. And hilarious. But not my bag.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not convinced they've actually done it. There's only been that one post.

The sad thing is that we have seen so much incontrovertibly documented proof of their idiocy and incompetence, we have to think twice about whether or not this could be true.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I had a situation in one company where the ticket queue got so deep, due to bad management from the person who was in charge of it, that we had close to 1,000 tickets for modules the company had patched, replaced, and in some cases discontinued entirely. It was not feasible to go through all of them once that person left, so we did a similar thing. We closed every ticket over a few months old, with emails to the client to reopen if the problem still existed.

But that was due to a management problem, so not sure it applies here, but sometimes it's really the only way forward. What led us to the conclusion was the angry response from a few customers with old tickets that we DID call - they were more pissed at how long we took to call them, and the fact that the problem had been resolved for years, and it basically led them to believe we were incompetent at tracking our own products.

They weren't wrong, either.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Homeless Santa minimizing expectations for Grabby Hands. Right before this he tosses out some more word salad about the Rooms System that makes absolutely no sense.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Homeless Santa minimizing expectations for Grabby Hands. Right before this he tosses out some more word salad about the Rooms System that makes absolutely no sense.

Homeless Santa quote: "One of the biggest things that's going to separate us from everything is that when you fly a spaceship you're not, you're not controlling the spaceship, you're controlling your man controlling the spaceship."

And there it is - the exact thing we got into yesterday. TTerrible - check it out - this is why we were harping on them for using "tricks" - they're outright claiming that they're not doing that, and in fact, what they're doing they claim will separate their offering from everyone else's. Clearly stated, and it's completely full of poo poo.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Friendly Tumour posted:

i wanrt everybody to read it

The Dsmart of our times

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Scruffpuff posted:

Homeless Santa quote: "One of the biggest things that's going to separate us from everything is that when you fly a spaceship you're not, you're not controlling the spaceship, you're controlling your man controlling the spaceship."

Arghhhhh that doesn't even make sense. It's so dumb it's frustrating. I swear these guys have a reality distortion field.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Hav posted:

We're roughly on the same page with regard to this whole thing, I just find the personal attacks distasteful. And hilarious. But not my bag.
last one, promise

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

And there it is - the exact thing we got into yesterday. TTerrible - check it out - this is why we were harping on them for using "tricks" - they're outright claiming that they're not doing that, and in fact, what they're doing they claim will separate their offering from everyone else's. Clearly stated, and it's completely full of poo poo.

Good thing it wasn't from the the most holy of mushy mouths then. In 6 months, he can claim the opposite, and because only his word is law this will not count.

We're getting birds for sure though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Daztek posted:

Sandi, the VP of marketing, is busy training more CS people

Wow, no one would work Thanksgiving or Christmas so Sandi had to do it? That is really sad to hear. I worked those days at my job because they paid me to do it. It is really sorry to hear that Sandi, the boss and with the person with the checkbook, could not figure out some way to incentivize or compensate an employee to work those days!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bait and Swatch posted:

last one, promise

Show me on the picture where it is butthurt.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14677-Cargo-Interaction

Jared gets flustered with a question regarding one of the few design docs with explicit game mechanics. Clearly he is in the right job, getting visibly irate when confronted with questions regarding gameplay.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Sometimes you go, well, nobody else is doing it like that it's like...there's a reason! they're smarter than us!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

A Neurotic Jew posted:

jfc, they introduced this as a sure thing 6 months ago, hahaha. :wtc:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Lowtax posted:

While I can definitely see the volume of regular idiots being kept out by it, ultimately special kinds like Seraph will always keep coming back.

So it's less like using the paywall to hide from absolute loving idiots and more like sort out the regular, unfunny idiots from the really special absolute ones. It is also due to this that I consider reporting anyone on SA forums to a mod to be a form of capitulation.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

BeefThief posted:

Though I've PAARPed 100,000 miles
Without a loading screen
And I think my JPEG knows which way to go
Tell my secret wife I love her very much (She knows)

Ground control to Crysis mod
Your network's down, there's something wrong
The fidelity is gone...the fidelity is gone...

Perfect.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

Jesus loving christ I take back everything I said. These people are functionally loving retarded.

What does that even loving mean? - how can you control your spaceman controlling your spaceship? Trespasser hands smashing into the throttle and joystick. No more clicking buttons on UI panels you're going to have to pilot your hand up to them and then shakily extend a finger using eighteen seperate loving keys on your RSI branded keyboard. what is he even promising?

He has no loving idea what he is saying. No wonder its been implemented the way it has. The developers probably read it and thought "yeah, they can't possibly mean that.." :psyboom:

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A rambling, bitter retard who likes to lecture everyone. I can't even listen to him anymore.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scruffpuff posted:

This shouldn't need saying, but you can take it as a given that if Lando or Ben are explaining how something works it is 100% guaranteed that they have no idea what they're talking about and are shamelessly pulling stuff straight out of their butts.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I don't think any of us can accurately speculate upon what the majority of submitted issues regarded. I was just saying that it seems odd a company that repeatedly stresses their involvement with the community and how the game itself has been defined by the community (stretch goals), wouldn't make sure to have an ample staff to handle or at least respond or even read issues from their community. Who knows, maybe every ticket submitted over the past X months has been bullshit, but it sounds like they didn't even bother reading them and just purged the entire folder. I may have missed it, but I don't recall anybody there saying they're going to address the issue by hiring more people to handle support or implementing a new streamlined bug report process, so what's to prevent this entire scenario from occurring again?

Yeah for a company that 100% relies on the continued goodwill and patience of their customers they sure show a lot of contempt for those same people. Especially if you ever have a problem or issue. Emails not answered for even more than two weeks. A special go gently caress yourself forum if you want to raise any issues - where they require a specifically worded poll so people can call you a whiner with one click. NO REFUNDS. Arbitrary bans unless you're a mega whale then you can do whatever.

They must feel they have their backers by the balls to be so brazen about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TTerrible posted:

Jesus loving christ I take back everything I said. These people are functionally loving retarded.

What does that even loving mean? - how can you control your spaceman controlling your spaceship? Trespasser hands smashing into the throttle and joystick. No more clicking buttons on UI panels you're going to have to pilot your hand up to them and then shakily extend a finger using eighteen seperate loving keys on your RSI branded keyboard. what is he even promising?

He has no loving idea what he is saying. No wonder its been implemented the way it has. The developers probably read it and thought "yeah, they can't possibly mean that.." :psyboom:

^^^^ Ben and Lando just say whatever comes to mind and they have a near perfect track record of being either flat wrong or otherwise clueless.

• Locked thread