Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm saddened Emperor Mateus has died (again). Truly an inspiration for many future androgynous Final Fantasy antagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Man there is nothing you can call that pose but mincing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'm saddened Emperor Mateus has died (again). Truly an inspiration for many future androgynous Final Fantasy antagonists.

He and Kuja are friends, and they hang out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

He and Kuja are friends, and they hang out.

They go shopping for codpieces together.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zidane13 posted:

Man there is nothing you can call that pose but mincing.
I can't make too much fun because if someone could get a picture of me when I don't think they are looking, that is the exact pose I use to harass cats with t-rex arms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

I can't make too much fun because if someone could get a picture of me when I don't think they are looking, that is the exact pose I use to harass cats with t-rex arms.

I enjoy the Emperor as a character a lot more with the idea that he's spending his time teasing cats offscreen but desperately trying to maintain an air of respectability as soon as he encounters the heroes.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I didn't even think about Amano until just now. Hope he's doing alright today.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'd love it if they did another round of DLC with songs from the last few FF11/14 expansions.

While never reaching the heights of Under the Weight, Heavensward has been really good for battle music that's simultaneously confusing and amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_3hRm7K8g

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr Snofeld posted:

While never reaching the heights of Under the Weight, Heavensward has been really good for battle music that's simultaneously confusing and amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_3hRm7K8g

Ought to mention that the second part of that track starts at 5:25.

Primals always get the spotlight, but there's a lot of good non-boss music in that game and expansion as well. The Aetherochemical Research Facility theme is one of my favorite dungeon themes in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lJyrLSFLDA

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

:smith:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
In regards to summoning in Final Fantasy XIV, there are lore reasons and practical reasons why you cannot summon the full strength summons, or Primals as they are called in game.

Firstly in terms of the lore, summoning a Primal requires a tremendous amount of magical energy. Much more energy than a person can provide without dying, and such that it requires many crystals of condensed magical energy to summon them. Then once summoned, the Primal must continue to feed off of magical energy to sustain a physical form. The summoner could not possibly provide this much energy, and in fact in the summoner quests just attempting to create a fourth unique Egi for Ramuh nearly kills you. The other issue to this, is the tendency for most Primals to either become extremely aggressive, or to brainwash everyone possible they can. People worshipping them provides them both with more power, and also more loyal servants to gather magical energy for them. Due to the nature of Primals and how they are created, this can very largely on how they were created, but Ramuh and Shiva are fairly unique in that both are not aggressive and do not seek to gather power and servants. Summoning the Egi's summons a fragment of that Primal's pure essence, with Ifrit it being fire and so on with the others. The summoner does not summon the actual Primal and thus does not endanger themselves and the realm to them.

But in more practical terms, the game has to run on a PS3 as well. There are already known issues with graphics and enemies and effects not rendering in fights with big models and lots of particle effects, and that is just in 4-8 man instanced fights. If you had several people summoning Ifrit all at the same time in the overworld, it would probably cause a lot of performance issues for PS3 players. While PS3 support may be being dropped at the end of the Heavensward patch cycle, it is still a policy for the devs to support it until then. Aside from performance issues though, many fights in FFXIV rely on dodging AoE indicators on the ground and moving around. A single large summoned entity would probably obscure a fair chunk of that to begin with and if you had two of them both summoning then it might make dodging nearly impossible. The devs made a clear choice to keep the arenas visible and uncluttered in fights to make sure it was as easy to dodge these as possible.

Many people are disappointed that you can't invoke the Primals in a more visually satisfying manner and it is a big contrast from many other games, but there is a reasonable design philosophy behind why the dev team chose not to do it for better or worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for posting these, especially this one. Been looking for a new avatar.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it okay if we talk about the Chaos Rings series in here too? It's not big enough for its own thread and it's pretty much Final Fantasy but on mobile.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

I'd like to believe that Bowie will return to life after taking over hell.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

DrakePegasus posted:

I didn't even think about Amano until just now. Hope he's doing alright today.

Were they personal friends? Or was there some kind of project the two of them worked on that lead to the pictures that were posted above?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Amano probably just liked his music

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

PunkBoy posted:

Were they personal friends? Or was there some kind of project the two of them worked on that lead to the pictures that were posted above?

They were intended for a collaborative project with Neil Gaiman, so I assume Bowie himself was involved in some capacity.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why the gently caress are there enemies that can attack 3 times in a row in FF3?! At that point the fight is 100% pure RNG. No character is gonna survive 3 straight stacks even at full health unless you're stupidly over-leveled. And back to the bottom of the tower I go. I think the lesson here is to just sell off all my inventory except shuriken and just spite the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
stop playing the bad game dude

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Why the gently caress are there enemies that can attack 3 times in a row in FF3?! At that point the fight is 100% pure RNG. No character is gonna survive 3 straight stacks even at full health unless you're stupidly over-leveled. And back to the bottom of the tower I go. I think the lesson here is to just sell off all my inventory except shuriken and just spite the game.

"Balance".

More accurately, while the NES version could have up to eight enemies in a battle, the DS version could only support three. Thus to rebalance they make enemies take multiple turns a round because Tanaka and Matrix have no business being in game design.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SonicRulez posted:

everyone loving warned you

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man, a coworker at my work today was literally on the verge of tears because she found out David Bowie was dead. I have a feeling I'm going to be close to the same way when Kojima or Miyamoto or Sakaguchi die.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why don't they make a proper 2d port of ff3 like the psp ports of ff1 and 2 instead of the lovely ds version?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
This seems pretty interesting: https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/961/how-will-the-difficulty-modes-compare-in-terms-of-xp-gain-enemy-stats-damage-and-a-i

Lead Game Designer Takizawa Masashi posted:

In December I asked you guys if you had any questions for the FFXV Dev team. This question by Eraezr was one of the top voted for questions and your answer is below: HOW WILL THE DIFFICULTY MODES COMPARE IN TERMS OF XP GAIN, ENEMY STATS, DAMAGE AND A.I?

==========

The equivalent to difficulty level settings in FFXV is a system where you can switch between different battle modes. By having this ability to switch modes, we want to make it so that both players who like action oriented, technical gameplay and also those who want to fight at a slower, more relaxed pace can all enjoy the combat in their own style. This switching system is a key part of the gameplay that we decided to introduce based on the feedback we received from the Episode Duscae demo. We will go into more detail about the system closer to the game’s launch so stay tuned for more information.

So I have to wonder if that slower system will be more like atb or what? I find this really interesting, mostly because of the implications it might have for FF7 where maybe they offer a re-envisioned modern combat system but also have the traditional version for the purists. Doesn't matter much to me since I really dug the combat in the 15 demo, but it's a neat idea anyway.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Failboattootoot posted:

This seems pretty interesting: https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/961/how-will-the-difficulty-modes-compare-in-terms-of-xp-gain-enemy-stats-damage-and-a-i

So I have to wonder if that slower system will be more like atb or what? I find this really interesting, mostly because of the implications it might have for FF7 where maybe they offer a re-envisioned modern combat system but also have the traditional version for the purists. Doesn't matter much to me since I really dug the combat in the 15 demo, but it's a neat idea anyway.

Oh god this makes it sound like they going to try to do a Dark Souls mode vs. FF12 mode or something. Pretty sure this design by international fan committee thing is not the greatest idea.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wasn't that like the first fruit out of their design by twitter committee, even if it wasn't called different difficulties back then? I thought I remember the internet already exploding about that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bloodychill posted:

Oh god this makes it sound like they going to try to do a Dark Souls mode vs. FF12 mode or something. Pretty sure this design by international fan committee thing is not the greatest idea.

I doubt it's that dramatic, it's probably just something like a "Simple Mode".

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
My first thought is of the RPG mode in Dissidia.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If playing on the hardest mode in ff15 gives more exp and drop rates, I will definitely play on that. LOL, at the people to scared to play kingdom hearts on expert Proud mode.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 12, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

I doubt it's that dramatic, it's probably just something like a "Simple Mode".

I remember them saying they were planning on making the combat more dynamic and less "hold down the button to keep attacking" so I hadn't heard about the simple mode thing before this. Balancing a game around two types of gameplay just sounds like a very tough thing to do. Making "complex mode" encounters interesting and challenging while simple mode does everything more or less automatically sounds like it would lead to tuning the encounters one way or another. If they try to stay away from that and complex mode allows extremely dynamic gameplay where you have to make snap decisions with all the abilities and movement options the game gives you in order to handle an encounter, simple mode sounds like it might have to have a decision engine built into it to allow it to make the right decisions or at least close-to-right decisions given a situation. Seems like a lot to handle considering the game is ostensibly supposed to be done some time this year or decade or something.

Or they can just make "complex mode" a musou game and "simple mode" a musou-but-hold-down-the-button game and and I can just not bother to play the game, I dunno.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

mandatory lesbian posted:

stop playing the bad game dude

I want to, but now I feel like it's taunting me. I was on Dark Crystal #3 when I got absolutely wrecked this time. I just need to beat it once and then I'll never even turn the drat game on again. :negative:

It also helps that my TV popped its lamp so I can't play FFXIV for a week or so. My cat dude was doing cool things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SonicRulez posted:

I want to, but now I feel like it's taunting me. I was on Dark Crystal #3 when I got absolutely wrecked this time. I just need to beat it once and then I'll never even turn the drat game on again. :negative:

It also helps that my TV popped its lamp so I can't play FFXIV for a week or so. My cat dude was doing cool things.

As someone with a physical cart still sitting outside the crystal tower. Stop. It's not worth it. It'll never be worth it, put it down, play 3 with a translation patch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SonicRulez posted:

The problem with FF3DS is that you really want to start planning your team early to squeeze out as much out of a job as possible. Which is counterproductive for a job system that should encourage flexibility.

If you didn't mind grinding I'd have suggested throwing in a couple Bards, which greatly augment your survivability. The first time I beat the game, I was rocking Bard/Bard/Geomancer/Ranger until the final dungeon, where after some trial and error I had to swap Geomancer out for a Devout. Still way easier than beating the game with a 'normal' team.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Onmi posted:

As someone with a physical cart still sitting outside the crystal tower. Stop. It's not worth it. It'll never be worth it, put it down, play 3 with a translation patch.

Like I said, the best FF3 is literally the NES game. It's sad, the art in the DS remake is nice, but the game is literally broken and worse than NES-hard. Think on that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So since I'm planning on getting an actual decent PC soon, I was thinking of getting XII=2 off Steam. I went there to see what DLC was included but I ended up being more interested by the review and score. 6/10 according to 1,521 reviews. Naturally I had to go and see how it stacked up to the others:

XIII:
7/10 according to 6,186 reviews.

Lightning Returns
9/10 according to 836 reviews.

I wonder if LR having the highest score is due to it having the least reviews. It;'s kind of amazing XIII has like 3 times as many reviews as the other two combined and still comes out at 7/10.

Of course, I know jack all about Steam really. I have only ever gotten one game off it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

So since I'm planning on getting an actual decent PC soon, I was thinking of getting XII=2 off Steam. I went there to see what DLC was included but I ended up being more interested by the review and score. 6/10 according to 1,521 reviews. Naturally I had to go and see how it stacked up to the others:

XIII:
7/10 according to 6,186 reviews.

Lightning Returns
9/10 according to 836 reviews.

I wonder if LR having the highest score is due to it having the least reviews. It;'s kind of amazing XIII has like 3 times as many reviews as the other two combined and still comes out at 7/10.

Of course, I know jack all about Steam really. I have only ever gotten one game off it.

LR has the highest score because it's the best one. 13 is the worst. 13-2 is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm shocked that LR is still a 9 despite the online-always aspect.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm shocked that LR is still a 9 despite the online-always aspect.

They patched that so you can play offline.

Edit

YoshiOfYellow posted:

XIII-2 runs like a pile of hot poo poo no matter what kind of rig you have which is probably why its PC release has the lowest reviews. I'd love to know what the hell they did to that game to make it run so awful where the other two are fine.

Also, does LR really have an always online thing attached, this is the first I've ever heard of it and I've never run into it playing the game.

It used to have always online because of Steam Cloud integration, but they patched it just before Christmas so you can launch the game in offline mode.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 12, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

XIII-2 runs like a pile of hot poo poo no matter what kind of rig you have which is probably why its PC release has the lowest reviews. I'd love to know what the hell they did to that game to make it run so awful where the other two are fine.

Also, does LR really have an always online thing attached, this is the first I've ever heard of it and I've never run into it playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad the world has finally realised Lightning Returns is good