Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Taken from the Warhammer wiki :

. A devotee of Khorne is as likely to be an honourable champion in combat as a blood-crazed slaughterer. Khornates take no artful approach to killing, seeking only to slay rather than to inflict pain, because while the blood of their victims strengthens Khorne, their suffering actually empowers his nemesis Slaanesh. The name "Khorne" derives from his name in Chaos' daemonic Dark Tongue, Kharneth, meaning "Lord of Rage" or "Lord of Blood". He is the mightiest and the second oldest of the four major Chaos Gods, fully coming into existence in the Immaterium sometime during Terra's European Middle Ages in the 2nd Millennium.

Khorne is the Blood God, Lord of Rage, Taker of Skulls. He is wrath incarnate, the embodiment of a never-ending lust to dominate and destroy. It is his sole desire to drown the galaxy in a tide of slaughter, to conquer and kill every living thing until there is nothing left but spilt blood and shattered bone. The Blood God is commonly depicted as a broad and muscular humanoid who stands hundreds of feet tall. He has the face of a savage, snarling dog, though his twisted features are all but hidden by a baroque helm decorated with the skulls of conqueror kings. Khorne's exaggerated physique is further distorted by heavy, overlapping plates of armour fashioned from brass and blackened iron. His every word is a growl of endless fury, and his roars of bloodlust echo across his realm.

Khorne broods from a throne of carved brass, atop a mountain of skulls, The macabre trophies are the fleshless heads of his champions, stacked alongside those of their defeated opponents. A hundred thousand species are represented, from human heads beyond counting to Tyranid skulls the size of hive city hab-blocks. The ever-growing pile of bloodstained bone reflects the material victories of his followers, feeding Khorne's glory but never quenching his thirst for blood and death.

At Khorne's side rests a great two-handed sword, a legendary blade capable of laying waste to the substance of worlds with a single blow. This fell weapon is known by various names to the different intelligent races of the galaxy, including Woebringer, Warmaker, and the End of All Things. It is said that when Khorne takes up his sword, a single sweep can cut through reality itself, allowing Khorne's daemonic legions to spill forth into the Materium.

The code of Khorne is simple: blood and more blood. His only temple is the battlefield, his sole sacrament the spilled blood of nations. Consciously or not, all warrior cultures pay him homage with their acts of murder and destruction, from the headhunting tribes of backwater Feral Worlds to the planet-conquering warbands of the Chaos Space Marines of the World Eaters Traitor Legion.

Every single life taken in anger increases the Blood God's power. He looks well upon those warriors who slay their friends and allies, for they prove their understanding of a greater truth -- Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows. Friends or enemies, all the dead are equal in the eyes of the Lord of Battle. Those Khornate devotees who let a day pass without committing an act of bloody-handed slaughter inevitably incur the Blood God's displeasure.

Khorne is said to have inherited a martial nobility and honour, and considers the weak and helpless to be unworthy of his wrath. The battle-cry of the followers of Khorne reflects his desire for wanton violence: "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!" Alternatively, they may cry, "Skulls for the Skull Throne!" In the throes of violence, Khorne's followers are also known to bellow, "KILL! MAIM! BURN!" repeatedly while hacking apart their enemies. Also, the Khornate Berserkers known as Khorne's Chosen often shout "Break their backs!" while in the thick of the brutal, bloody battle they so passionately seek out. Followers of the Chaos God Slaanesh, who Khornates see as degenerate scum who kill only for pleasure rather than to test one's self against mighty enemies, are favoured foes to face in battle, as are the servants of Tzeentch, who are seen as Sorcerers unwilling to engage in fair and honourable combat. Khorne's sacred number is eight, reflected in the organization of his armies, and in smaller matters such as the number of syllables in a Khornate daemon's name. Where possible, his warriors will form up into squads of this number. His primary colours are blood red, black and brass. Also note that the Mark of Khorne looks vaguely like a figure of eight or a stylized human skull.

METAL AS FUUUUUUUUUUCK! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6233451/#Comment_6233451

Cuts a major feature until an indefinite time after release. Calls it "just putting the horse before the cart, is all. =)"

You could probably post a concern thread for each individual stretch goal and major game feature and find the majority of the community don't care about any of them. Well except the PVE slider, they'd care about that one.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 12, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Omi-Polari posted:

WH40k lore is cool and it's fun to read about, but it always struck me as having diminishing returns. There's only so many city-sized churches you can throw at a planet before I go zzzzzzzzz. And gently caress playing it on a tabletop.

At the end of the day science fiction should be about the characters.

But as video games or an art style, it's all good. And might as well talk about WH40k spaceships in the internet spaceships thread.

There's plenty of good 40K fiction that uses the epic lore and puts a really good touch on it. Check out the 40K thread in the Book Barn, their stuff is all good.

My favorite setting is Necromunda. One of these days I'll get off my rear end and do a CYOA for that setting, but then I remember how good my last effort went.

EDIT: gently caress man, I remember reading Prosper and thinking about how much loving fun I had writing that. Maybe it's time to revisit.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 12, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Pgabz, the next time you see Rajafa, you should tell him to go gently caress himself.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's plenty of good 40K fiction that uses the epic lore and puts a really good touch on it. Check out the 40K thread in the Book Barn, their stuff is all good.

My favorite setting is Necromunda. One of these days I'll get off my rear end and do a CYOA for that setting, but then I remember how good my last effort went.

EDIT: gently caress man, I remember reading Prosper and thinking about how much loving fun I had writing that. Maybe it's time to revisit.

Is this it? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen fantasies

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/312504/what-is-everybody-expecting-from-star-citizen

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Naw, the biggest class of ships are about 10 kilometers in length, with tens of thousands as crew, afaik.

He might be talking craftworlds, in which case, yes, they're loving big. Space hulks are the remnants of 1+ wrecks that end up with poo poo infesting them, some of those hulks are pretty drat big.

Omi-Polari posted:

Not a WH40k fan but it's deffo got style and art direction, which doesn't get emphasized enough. The designers definitely know what they're trying to do, and they create the aesthetics to reflect it.

Most of the guys that came up with the style are gone, and GW has been infested with sales suits. Still a hell of a compelling thing that was almost entirely inspired by 2000AD.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Too bad it's inaccessible to people who aren't gods of micro precision painting. I tried painting some Battletech and Flames of War minatures and while I don't think they look awful, I'm sure they're laughable to the WH40k community based on everything I've seen.

I paint minis for me rather than competition. It helps with fine motor control, and there's a certain level of zen involved in knowing how to apply a brush; you don't actually 'see' the surface you're painting.

GW is beginning to crumble, though. They killed Fantasy in favour of a much stripped down game that plays like 40K, on the other hand, they're making GBS threads out licenses to everyone and their dog, so the lore will survive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
My favorite bit of 40k lore comes from the actual meta-game and tournaments, where GW was trying to shoehorn the Orks into a mega alliance with Chaos and other baddies against the humies.

In probably the best Goon-esque response, the Ork players decided to tell GW to zog off and fought whoever they felt like fighting.

I forget the name/tournament the incident took place, but GW was absolutely frustrated with the Ork players for ruining their narrative.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Mirificus posted:

Pgabz, the next time you see Rajafa, you should tell him to go gently caress himself.

Thing is , imagine if this horror show actually manifests itself as a game. Would you really want to play in a 'verse' with c*nts like this in it !!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsD29Wk68gk

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I love most about all of this is that there's a group of Citizens who wail on and on about how little Goons affect anything, how much they don't think we matter, how irrelevant we are etc.

All while posting lengthy discussions about Goons, reading SA to pull quotes and complain about etc.

It's comical.

The report function still doesn't work. Wonder if poking the mods will actually do anything. This is the same guy they gave a 24 hr temp ban for posting misogynistic poo poo the other day too.

PGabz, you should reference his racism when he spergs out at you on YouTube and see if he tries to pretend its not him again.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What I love most about all of this is that there's a group of Citizens who wail on and on about how little Goons affect anything, how much they don't think we matter, how irrelevant we are etc.

All while posting lengthy discussions about Goons, reading SA to pull quotes and complain about etc.

It's comical.

The report function still doesn't work. Wonder if poking the mods will actually do anything. This is the same guy they gave a 24 hr temp ban for posting misogynistic poo poo the other day too.

PGabz, you should reference his racism when he spergs out at you on YouTube and see if he tries to pretend its not him again.

Are we sure that PGabz isn't a Sandi ALT?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The reason CIG is focusing on SQ42 and not the game people wanted from the kickstarter is because all the unskippable cutscenes let CIG have a little more time to work on the game

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

METAL AS FUUUUUUUUUUCK! :black101:

Slightly out of date as well. The Chaos gods got a loving after Bryan Ansell left the company and they started to remove the authors from the books. Slaanesh, the god of desire, temptation and all things pink was retired as 'too sexy', Khorne got promoted, Nurgle's still around, and Tzeentch, changer of the ways was given short-shrift.

I think the current 40K is for 'chaos undivided'; Fantasy got killed off.

It was a shame as well, because Fantasy had a slightly more pernicious and 'creeping horror' feel to the predations of chaos, who were coming out of the northern wastes, but also managed to tempt normal people to support it. Chaos started to come out of the cold as generic bad guy bezerkers, and then _nothin'_.

While I'm in the derail - http://www.returnofreckoning.com/ - private server for the warhammer MMO that shut down.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

VideoGames posted:

When I told that guy earlier not to be creepy I meant for other posters to take note as well. Don't be creepy like this. At all.

It made me giggle reading that while looking at your fantastic profile picture.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Its as if anytime two "local physics grids" come close to one another the engine goes bonker, misplacing every parts at is seem unable to correctly adjucate where things are supposed to go

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
rajafa not racist. he only know 3 race: human, banu, vanduul.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

That farce where they pretended not to be themselves was incredibly stupid. I love how they changed the name on their Disqus account to Kronypsus the instant it was pointed out which confirmed the link. They also did it in such haste that they spelled it in two different ways.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hav posted:

Slightly out of date as well. The Chaos gods got a loving after Bryan Ansell left the company and they started to remove the authors from the books. Slaanesh, the god of desire, temptation and all things pink was retired as 'too sexy', Khorne got promoted, Nurgle's still around, and Tzeentch, changer of the ways was given short-shrift.

It was a shame as well, because Fantasy had a slightly more pernicious and 'creeping horror' feel to the predations of chaos, who were coming out of the northern wastes, but also managed to tempt normal people to support it. Chaos started to come out of the cold as generic bad guy bezerkers, and then _nothin'_.

While I'm in the derail - http://www.returnofreckoning.com/ - private server for the warhammer MMO that shut down.

Never underestimate how a bad company can kill off good IPs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yup, that's the one.

Bootcha posted:

My favorite bit of 40k lore comes from the actual meta-game and tournaments, where GW was trying to shoehorn the Orks into a mega alliance with Chaos and other baddies against the humies.

In probably the best Goon-esque response, the Ork players decided to tell GW to zog off and fought whoever they felt like fighting.

I forget the name/tournament the incident took place, but GW was absolutely frustrated with the Ork players for ruining their narrative.

That was the Eye of Terror campaign, right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

The biggest crime Games Workshop has committed is renaming the Imperial Guard to Astra Militarum.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think I solved the mystery:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup, that's the one.

I've never read any of the books, grabbed me the Eisenhorn Omnibus, should be good bedtime reading :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

GW has been heading in the wrong direction for a very long time. Two years ago they moved to bigger, more expensive models, then shat out some rules that would have you fielding three tanks (~$45 each) as a single unit. As it is the 40K rules have relaxed the concept of allies to the point where you can collect two armies.

poo poo, I remember picking up the Warhammer 2nd edition with a friend instead of the car wars stuff I wanted from Games Workshop in Brum. Neither of us could afford the minis, so we used counters instead.

Final straw for me was devolving White Dwarf into a tiny tablet book of painting and a monthly catalog supplement.

About the only thing keeping it afloat is nostalgia.

Edit: Pick up Ravenor while you're at it. ^^^^

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hav posted:

Honestly I have no desire to ever get involved in painting figurines (never have done never will do) same goes for the games, but I could read an entire book filled with descriptions like that.

I tried getting into lovecraft because I love the thought of cosmic horror and monsters with eyes and mouths the size of galaxies but I was bored to tears.I'll try again another time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just play the relic games tbh.

e: And read the books, those are cool too.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

I just want to add that most of the actual dev guys , I mean arse on chair, head down earning a wage permanently in crunch dev guys (In other words the UK and Deutschland) ; are really talented. Some of the best in the industry and certainly some of the best I have worked with. Thats why its so infuriating to see these vacuous hacks appearing on their lovely you tube shows and ludicrous Q and A sessions talking such clap trap. It reflects badly on the real talent who KNOW this project is simply not possible the way the Emperor is pitching it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 2, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Honestly I have no desire to ever get involved in painting figurines (never have done never will do) same goes for the games, but I could read an entire book filled with descriptions like that.

Totally fair enough. I'm a child of the seventies and was brought up on airfix and dangerous chemicals masquerading as paint.

I tried getting into lovecraft because I love the thought of cosmic horror and monsters with eyes and mouths the size of galaxies but I was bored to tears.I'll try again another time.

Have you read any of the Charlie Stross 'Laundry' novels?

The black library handles the GW fiction end of things - http://www.blacklibrary.com/ - The Horus Heresy, which is the origin story of the 'modern' Imperium runs to a fairly huge number of books, and is one of the most detailed things you'll ever come across. The fiction tends to run from bad fanfic through to Dan Abnett.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

that owns

thats GW's fault for trying to get Orks to do a thing that wasn't just killing things

the narrative for Orks should be that they like fighting things and they arent really necessarily the 'allying' type, and then you design around that

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hav posted:

Totally fair enough. I'm a child of the seventies and was brought up on airfix and dangerous chemicals masquerading as paint.

Have you read any of the Charlie Stross 'Laundry' novels?

The black library handles the GW fiction end of things - http://www.blacklibrary.com/ - The Horus Heresy, which is the origin story of the 'modern' Imperium runs to a fairly huge number of books, and is one of the most detailed things you'll ever come across. The fiction tends to run from bad fanfic through to Dan Abnett.

Thanks for all the info, I think i'm gonna have to get some books for the first time in ages :D

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6153932/#Comment_6153932

space marshall, $5,000-$9,999 pledge.

oh, you poor soul.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.

Hav posted:

He might be talking craftworlds, in which case, yes, they're loving big. Space hulks are the remnants of 1+ wrecks that end up with poo poo infesting them, some of those hulks are pretty drat big.

Most of the guys that came up with the style are gone, and GW has been infested with sales suits. Still a hell of a compelling thing that was almost entirely inspired by 2000AD.

I paint minis for me rather than competition. It helps with fine motor control, and there's a certain level of zen involved in knowing how to apply a brush; you don't actually 'see' the surface you're painting.

GW is beginning to crumble, though. They killed Fantasy in favour of a much stripped down game that plays like 40K, on the other hand, they're making GBS threads out licenses to everyone and their dog, so the lore will survive.
Gloriana class battleships were about 20km, Furious Abyss class battleships(There were like 3) were said to be even bigger, Only dwarfed by the Imperial fists' Phalanx base thingy..

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope Chris has read the latest xkcd "what if" and announces a new station type soon.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
I couldn't get this comparison out of my head and had to share it.

Or is it just me?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$220s for a 1 year access actually only gives you 11 months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40op9y/cig_math/

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
So much for the cloud...

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Kakarot posted:

So much for the cloud...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Steam: I will feel grief.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6226719/#Comment_6226719

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6226912/#Comment_6226912

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

This is me trying in a small way to contribute to the thread, Feel free to photoshop this or use it anyway you want (if you want) :

http://imgur.com/D2KfuAo

http://imgur.com/rfSPKCP

If this is the wrong way to post images then let me know and i'll just not do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hav posted:

GW has been heading in the wrong direction for a very long time. Two years ago they moved to bigger, more expensive models, then shat out some rules that would have you fielding three tanks (~$45 each) as a single unit. As it is the 40K rules have relaxed the concept of allies to the point where you can collect two armies.

poo poo, I remember picking up the Warhammer 2nd edition with a friend instead of the car wars stuff I wanted from Games Workshop in Brum. Neither of us could afford the minis, so we used counters instead.

Final straw for me was devolving White Dwarf into a tiny tablet book of painting and a monthly catalog supplement.

About the only thing keeping it afloat is nostalgia.

Edit: Pick up Ravenor while you're at it. ^^^^

The only thing I like about 40k is the FFG RPGs. I used to run them online using Vassal 40k for the models. It was a lot of fun. I don't touch the overpriced pieces of plastic though

• Locked thread