Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is anyone else getting super excited for 11/22/63? Just saw the full trailer for it. Is anyone making a thread?

The book was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Under the Dome was a national treasure and it needed another season.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Under the Dome was a national treasure and it needed another season.

Another season? The show peaked with:

and it was a long, slow descent into madness after that

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I caught a bunch of Spartacus reruns in the last few days and this is your bi-yearly reminder that Spartacus is one of the best written shows ever that just happens to be couched in a hilarious amount of blood, CGI, and tits/dicks.

I'm not the type of person that goes back and rewatches shows, but I think I might finally rewatch the whole series at some point this year. Because holy poo poo does that show do so, so, so many things right.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

VDay posted:

I caught a bunch of Spartacus reruns in the last few days and this is your bi-yearly reminder that Spartacus is one of the best written shows ever that just happens to be couched in a hilarious amount of blood, CGI, and tits/dicks.

I'm not the type of person that goes back and rewatches shows, but I think I might finally rewatch the whole series at some point this year. Because holy poo poo does that show do so, so, so many things right.

Wise words from a good poster.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mu Zeta posted:

The problem with Wolf Hall winning a Golden Globe is that the award doesn't mean poo poo so I don't know if it's actually any good. The cast is fantastic but the GG gives it a bad stench.

wolf hall owns

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can you persuade me to try it?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

VDay posted:

That pilot though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zaggitz posted:

Wise words from a good poster.

whowhatwhere posted:

That pilot though.

A TV show that takes a whole 4 episodes before it becomes one of the best TV shows of the last decade. What an insurmountable obstacle.

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 13, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

VDay posted:

Spartacus is one of the best written shows ever

VDay posted:

one of the best TV shows of the last decade. What an insurmountable obstacle.
Spartacus is one of the best written shows ever

Look its a fun show but it's nowhere close to this. There's no social commentary or real statements on life in general. It's good, but its just entertainment. It's the difference between true literature and great genre novels. Genre novels are a blast, and I love them, but they are more concerned with telling a story within their genre than they are at truly examining society, "the human condition" and all that

blue squares fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 13, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the whole slavery aspect was lost on you?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

So the whole slavery aspect was lost on you?

What statement is Spartacus making about slavery?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If only this show about slavery and what it means to be truly free had some kind of social commentary in it, it might be considered good...

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slavery is bad, truly a timely message. Again, I loving loved Spartacus, but it's entirely forgettable when talking about truly good television

IN MY OPINION

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

blue squares posted:

Slavery is bad, truly a timely message. Again, I loving loved Spartacus, but it's entirely forgettable when talking about truly good television

IN MY OPINION
Pretty sure slavery isn't 1:1 slavery (besides chattel slavery that Americans know best isn't the same as Roman slavery), it's more about power dynamics between different classes of people and how they clash, issues of self-determination and freedom against traditional values and conservatism. If that isn't human condition enough for you then I dunno.

A show doesn't have to have social commentary precisely aimed for it's period of creation ala The Wire to be 'good' television. Otherwise there wouldn't be much good television going by that definition.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't think Spartacus really engages with that, though. The point of the show is to show awesome fights, and it does that well. From my recollection, there isn't a lot of depth in the examination of the nature of freedom, self-determination, etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was rooting for Caesar/Crassus when Spartacus' crew started raping and pillaging towns.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you want to say you didn't like Spartacus or it wasn't your cup of tea that's entirely up to you and is obviously something I won't try to argue.

But it's a TV show that features political backstabbing that's up there with Rome and Game of Thrones, character development that makes even the bad guys seem reasonable and relatable, multiple gay relationships that are so nuanced and interesting that they embarrass anything else on TV short of some CW shows, and some Shakespearean poo poo-talking dialogue that is only rivaled by Deadwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQx490A7zDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEZmpo4rkM

And even all of that is ignoring the fact that the lead actor passed away after one season and the show managed to pull a fantastic prequel season out of its rear end that was not only satisfying but also introduced a great new character while giving multiple established characters deeper motivations and storylines. Oh and no big deal but it also managed to have one of the best finales of any show ever that managed to tie up all the loose ends, gave a satisfying conclusion to a bunch of characters we knew wouldn't have happy endings, and paid tribute to the original Spartacus actor who passed away after the first season.

But I guess it didn't say much besides slavery is bad so it's automatically a horrible show, just like how 12 Years a Slave is considered a horrible movie.

IN MY OPINION

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blood rains down from an angry sky. My cock rages on. My cock rages on.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

VDay posted:

If you want to say you didn't like Spartacus or it wasn't your cup of tea that's entirely up to you and is obviously something I won't try to argue.

But it's a TV show that features political backstabbing that's up there with Rome and Game of Thrones, character development that makes even the bad guys seem reasonable and relatable, multiple gay relationships that are so nuanced and interesting that they embarrass anything else on TV short of some CW shows, and some Shakespearean poo poo-talking dialogue that is only rivaled by Deadwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQx490A7zDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEZmpo4rkM

And even all of that is ignoring the fact that the lead actor passed away after one season and the show managed to pull a fantastic prequel season out of its rear end that was not only satisfying but also introduced a great new character while giving multiple established characters deeper motivations and storylines. Oh and no big deal but it also managed to have one of the best finales of any show ever that managed to tie up all the loose ends, gave a satisfying conclusion to a bunch of characters we knew wouldn't have happy endings, and paid tribute to the original Spartacus actor who passed away after the first season.

But I guess it didn't say much besides slavery is bad so it's automatically a horrible show, just like how 12 Years a Slave is considered a horrible movie.

IN MY OPINION

Wow, learn to read

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

blue squares posted:

When I next post, I will defeat you with my bad opinions.

VDay posted:

No, you're going to try.

blue squares posted:

It is all a shitposter can do.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I tire of this.

Mostly because I didn't watch that show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

blue squares posted:

Wow, learn to read

blue squares posted:

I don't think Spartacus really engages with that, though. The point of the show is to show awesome fights, and it does that well. From my recollection, there isn't a lot of depth in the examination of the nature of freedom, self-determination, etc.

You watched a TV show that is about a son trying to make a name for himself separate from his father, about a gladiator that tries to break free from his owners, about a Roman citizen reaching above his predetermined social standing, about the wife of a lanista using slaves for her own advantage, about the daughter of a powerful Roman official trying to gain power separate from her brother/family, about a Roman senator that tries to gain as much power as possible, about a Roman general that tries to play a bad situation to his advantage, about a Roman son of a senator that tries to take gain favor with his father, about a former slave and rape victim trying to overcome her experiences, and about an entire class of people that are trying to fight for freedom and decided that none of those scenarios really examine the nature of freedom, self-determination, etc but were instead just about awesome fights.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Were the fights awesome, though?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They were real loving good. Like, dude-gets-stabbed-in-the-mouth-with-the-tip-of-a-spear-and-then-the-spear-gets-jammed-up-so-that-the-dude's-jaw-snaps-off good.

And that's just from the episode I happened to watch.

Look all I'm saying is that Spartacus is a show that everyone needs to watch and form an opinion for themselves.

But also if their opinion contradicts mine then they're obviously wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blue squares posted:

Look its a fun show but it's nowhere close to this. There's no social commentary or real statements on life in general. It's good, but its just entertainment. It's the difference between true literature and great genre novels. Genre novels are a blast, and I love them, but they are more concerned with telling a story within their genre than they are at truly examining society, "the human condition" and all that

Exactly. That's why it's the best.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sorry about my pretentious drunkposting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I still haven't seen the last season because I know it ends with everyone getting killed :smith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

blue squares posted:

Can you persuade me to try it?

I can't persuade you to try it because you are an emotionless robot

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

I still haven't seen the last season because I know it ends with everyone getting killed :smith:

So does your life and everybody else's

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shieeeeet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

So does your life and everybody else's

Spoilers, drat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
BBC is rebooting Robot Wars. I imagine 10-year old me would be really excited.

This was my favourite fight.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

My favorite show for a while when I was a kid was Junkyard Wars / Scrapheap Challenge. Much more interesting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How many times is that show going to be rebooted?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

blue squares posted:

How many times is that show going to be rebooted?

Until robots achieve sentience. We learned nothing from the Battlestar Galactica finale.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The American one is better.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fooz posted:

My favorite show for a while when I was a kid was Junkyard Wars / Scrapheap Challenge. Much more interesting.

I still watch episodes off youtube whenever. Was such an interesting cool show. Their explanations for how things work were awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

There are actually a couple twists. It's a sad but satisfying ending. Especially if you stay through the end credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

• Locked thread