Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So you're saying Horner is feeling the Bern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's just from sleeping with Geri.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

:golfclap:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Don't worry we still get blown defusers back and they are still making them louder and pretty with swept back front wings and whatnot.

What's happened here is this fellow fans of drama: loving Horner tried to use politics with his supposed new BFF Bernie and the FIA to push an aero package he's obviously had newey working on for at least a year, and got hosed over. We know this because Bernie has 2 votes, if Bernie had backed him then we would be looking at 7-4 and that's without him being Bernie at the smaller teams to get things pushed though. Bernie Bernied, it was a terrible idea and he knew it would be shut down before becoming a reality, what it did do was keep Red Bull's attention well away from whatever else he is up to and delivered one hell of a bitch slap to a man who thinks he's a shoe in for his job and made him look like a clown to his prospective new employers.

bernie is the greatest and best man in the world

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bring back engine regs that allowed for different cylinder numbers, fatten the tires, roll back the availability of aero grip. I wanna see v12 Ferrari screamers again. Let chaos reign.

Hail Satan/Bernie.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i hope before bernie leaves he listens to the fans and makes the changes they want just so he can spitefully watch it all fall apart

were there people in the early days of motor racing clamoring for a return to horses?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

GramCracker posted:

This. NBC Execs, because I know you peruse this thread on the reg, PLEASE let this happen.

I'll think about it.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
According to ~sources~ K-Mag could replace Pastor at Lotus Renault as PDVSA might not want to finance Pastor anymore due to the $30 oil price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...ext-season.html

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
that's ok Pastor has a Ferrari seat all lined up for next year

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If pastor leaves it won't be k-mag and the telegraph are cruel to get his hopes up like that.

wild theory: someone who does not know much about formula 1 recognized someone as a McLaren driver and the torygraph just assumed they meant Kevin. That or Flavio is using Kevin as cover to get in the building for his second entirely different set of negotiations. Nando is still MIA and this all fits the time frame for him to make an announcement on feb 1st.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
BBC also reporting the Pastor story, but with the information that Renault haven't received payment from PDVSA, which gives them a great get out clause and can get rid of the driver they don't want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35299887

quote:

A Renault spokesman said: "It's speculation at the moment. We have a contract with Pastor. That is the current situation.

"Who knows what could happen by Australia but, at the moment, we are going forward with Pastor and Jolyon."

That is about as close as you will ever find a spokesman saying someone is poo poo canned before its official, so its not looking good for Pastor. F1 will be a lot more boring next year.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ukle posted:

...so its not looking good for Pastor

Shame.

So, is it March yet?

I've only just bothered to look at the calendar, didn't realise Malaysia had been moved to the latter half of the season. Makes sense given how much poo poo they get every year for moving the race into the rainy period of the day. During monsoon season.

Looks to be a healthy spread with 4 races within 5 weeks over July and October (Austria / Britain / Hungary / Germany and Malaysia / Japan / USA / Mexico respectively)

Biggest gap between races, barring the summer break (at 4 weeks) is 2 weeks. So barring no races get dropped, there'll never be more than 2 weeks between one race and the next. Again, barring the usual summer break.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm doing my part, I just filled up my gas tank and told the cashier that venezuelan oil is so much better and he should totally switch

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
No you see there can't be refuelling we're running out of oil and it's getting really expensive!!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also refueling was really poo poo, only reason people liked it was that there was a slight chance of fire or someone driving off with the hose still attached. The reality was that it was talked about just as much as tire management, alongside tire management.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like 3 second or less pitstops. gently caress refueling.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Norns posted:

I like 3 second or less pitstops. gently caress refueling.

I see you hate fast cars and fun as well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
R.I.P. Pastor. A Good Lad.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xenoid posted:

To be fair refueling generally made the racing worse, barring certain exceptions (uh, 1982 and 1983 I guess)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Xenoid posted:

Please tell me how refueling in the current formula would speed anything up.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

To be fair refueling generally made the racing worse, barring certain exceptions (uh, 1982 and 1983 I guess)
To be fair..no.

Xenoid posted:

These cars can't refuel and are slow and fat because of it.

learnincurve posted:

there was a slight chance of fire or someone driving off with the hose still attached.
And this is just pure fun.

Go watch Formula E if you hate refuelling so much.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Refuelling was utter poo poo. Basically why try to even overtake, you can just pit earlier/later. At least tire wear is less predictable than that, so they can't rely on such a strategy and instead may even try to overtake.

The number of overtakes already rose when they banned refuelling in 2010, and that was before Pirelli/DRS.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
The one time I've agreed with Horner was on refueling. It's a dumb thing, you just have to look at how long their first fuel stop is and then you know how much fuel they put in and know exactly what strategy they're on and when they're coming in again. It introduces zero strategy and just creates artificial gaps.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Also refueling was really poo poo, only reason people liked it was that there was a slight chance of fire or someone driving off with the hose still attached.

That is simply not true. Refueling allowed to cars to drive fast from the get go, rather than tip-toping around 10 seconds off the pace, as they're logging 100kgs worth of fuel and any attempt at going fast will destroy the tires.

Refueling made the cars go faster.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That is simply not true. Refueling allowed to cars to drive fast from the get go, rather than tip-toping around 10 seconds off the pace, as they're logging 100kgs worth of fuel and any attempt at going fast will destroy the tires.

Refuelling also made it more dangerous and except for a fire it adds nothing to the show.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

In a big train. I cite monaco 2003, aero era had begun and during this period cars could not get within a second of each other without causing overheating issues with the gearbox and engine. No on track overtakes. It all happened in the pits, and it was the most boring race of all time. loving Trulli train was kind of funny towards the arse end of his career but jesus christ 2002-2005 was pure torture, with scalextric cars unable to overtake permanently stuck behind the bastard tootling around in 7th biding his time and babying his engine until faster cars in front of him went bang and he could pick up points.

refueling would just make for longer pit stops and crofty endlessly talking about it. It's the aero causing heat/dirty air, coming from the car in front, to get under the wings and into your car thus causing everything to overheat, including your front tires, which prevents overtakes, not the lack of speed. Take what just happened, pirreli went "lol you fuckers forgot about physics, you increase the downforce and basic GSCE level science tells you you need to increase the tire pressure which means you have to slow the car down in the corners or they will explode, and no, no change in compound is going to fix it".

less aero, more mechanical grip is the answer, not refueling.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

less aero, more mechanical grip is the answer, not refueling.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

So Red Bull.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ferrari is good and cool.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When there was refueling the number of races where 'refuel a lot and run balls to the walls' was the best strat was miniscule compared to 'reduce pitstops and save fuel', and on top of that were only ever pulled off by Schumacher.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ukle posted:

BBC also reporting the Pastor story, but with the information that Renault haven't received payment from PDVSA, which gives them a great get out clause and can get rid of the driver they don't want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35299887

That is about as close as you will ever find a spokesman saying someone is poo poo canned before its official, so its not looking good for Pastor. F1 will be a lot more boring next year.

THE BUTCHER OF CARACAS MUST DRIVE.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Uncle Jam posted:

When there was refueling the number of races where 'refuel a lot and run balls to the walls' was the best strat was miniscule compared to 'reduce pitstops and save fuel', and on top of that were only ever pulled off by Schumacher.

Don't forget 2005 when they were allowed to have different sized fuel tanks in a move to make them all larger for 2006 and in theory make them race harder. This did not work. In monaco the larger tanked cars like the renaults filled to the brim and then fuel saved so they could go the whole race without stopping (maybe they stopped once when others stopped twice, I forget) and losing position, other faster races they filled to the bare minimum needed for strategy and fuel saved. It's fairly simple, the less fuel the lighter your car, you go faster and put less stress on your tires. What removing refueling did was make them concentrate on fuel economy which is what road cars had been moving towards for a while and made them more relevant to modern technology. If the bastards are going to save fuel no matter what you do engine suppliers might as well be able to make some money off of it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Riso posted:

Refuelling also made it more dangerous and except for a fire it adds nothing to the show.

It made the cars go faster and made for less 'protecting the tires whilst cruising around at 80%'.
Remember that the main reason refueling was dropped was because of cost: It cost FOM a fortune to transport the refueling rigs around the world.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
no in THEORY it should have made the cars go faster, they fuel saved anyway so it didn't. What made the cars fast was that back in the day they were basically metal skins with a meaty bit in the middle strapped to an A.C.M.E. rocket.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

no in THEORY it should have made the cars go faster, they fuel saved anyway so it didn't. What made the cars fast was that back in the day they were basically metal skins with a meaty bit in the middle strapped to an A.C.M.E. rocket.

Utter nonsense. Refueling was banned in 2010, the first carbon fibre monocogue in F1 was in the McLaren MP4/1 in 1981.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
No fuel apologists conveniently leave out that the tires could last 100 laps.

"But it was exciting racing!!"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Xenoid posted:

No fuel apologists conveniently leave out that the tires could last 100 laps.

"But it was exciting racing!!"

Now we get a super duper softs next year that will last like 5.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Ferrari is good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Enzo was a loving baller.

• Locked thread