Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tigern posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to create a rule in Outlook 2013 that looks at all incoming mails and check if it was sent to more than 30 people(TO or CC field)? I want to delete all emails like this.

I tried looking at some scripts but it's all pretty foreign to me, so I don't want to gamble on copy-pasting them from google.

This is something I never thought I needed but now I must have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
So I'm having an Autodiscover problem... or at least I think I am.

We're currently in the progress of migrating from Exchange 2010 to 2013. 2013 is set up right now in coexistence with 2010.

There are 2 Exchange 2013 CAS/Mailbox/UM servers, set up in an IP-less DAG.

Both of these servers have their Virtual Directories set to exchange.contoso.com for OWA, ECP, Autodiscover, etc. Their certificates have exchange.contoso.com as a SAN. exchange.contoso.com's OWA isn't showing up with any Certificate errors, so the cert looks OK.

There's 1 Exchange 2010 CAS/Mailbox/UM server, no DAG.

Users that were migrated to Exchange 2013 can't see Free/Busy of other users, or MailTips. In Lync, they can't see voicemails or Play Voicemail on Phone. They can do all these things via OWA 2013. This is what's making me think "Autodiscover".

How am I supposed to coexist autodiscover?

autodiscover.contoso.com is CNAME'd to exchange.contoso.com
_autodiscover._tcp.contoso.com is set to exchange.contoso.com

EXCHANGESERVER2010's Autodiscover SCP is set to EXCHANGESERVER2010.contoso.com
EXCHANGESERVER2013-01's Autodiscover SCP is set to exchange.contoso.com
EXCHANGESERVER2013-02's Autodiscover SCP is set to exchange.contoso.com

This is driving me nuts. What am I doing wrong? I get a sneaking suspicion that once i remove EXCHANGESERVER2010 this will all go away anyway, but still...

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You don't use Exchange 2010 autodiscover if you have a 2013 server in play.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-server-2010-2013-migration-reviewing-autodiscover-configuration/

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

You don't use Exchange 2010 autodiscover if you have a 2013 server in play.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-server-2010-2013-migration-reviewing-autodiscover-configuration/

So should I set EXCHANGESERVER2010's SCP to exchange.contoso.com, which resolves to EXCHANGESERVER2013-01? That seems to be the only element still resolving back to 2010 anything.

:edit:

Oh, I should read the comments. Can someone confirm that this is accurate?

quote:

changing the SCP for all current exchange versions 2007/2010 alike is mandatory… that is changing the SCP so it points to the Exchange 2013 severs autodiscover.

Nevermind, it's right here. Thanks!

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 8, 2016

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
We've been running Exchange on-prem for longer than I've worked here, but I think we're finally at the point to where we need someone else to either host Exchange for us. Or move to Office 365. A company I've talked with sent us a comparison sheet from M$, and I don't see any features that O365 is missing compared to Exchange that I think would ever apply to us. The thing that does make me nervous are the horror stories I've heard from O365 support, but maybe that is overblown, and having some company host/manage my Exchange would be its own special brand of heartache.

So, my question is, in the year of our lord two thousand and sixteen, what's the goon consensus on hosted email? Is O365 finally ready for prime-time, or should I bite the bullet and spend the extra $$$ and use a hosted exchange provider with a tier-4 datastore always-on blah blah blah.

Also, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but we are currently using Mimecast for our incoming/outgoing mail security, as well as legacy and bottomless (hey now) archiving, and I plan on keeping this, so if one of the two options is poo poo in working with Mimecast, that would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I've got a (new) client that just got hosed by their previous outsourced IT and find themselves in a position where their Exchange server got fried and have no recent backups, so it looks like we're going to be trying to piece things together as best we can from .ost files.

Anyone have a good experience with an .ost to .pst converter? Any that would be recommended over the others for literally hundreds of mailboxes? I'm going to love these billable hours, but man...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Could they be migrated to 365?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
That's a possibility, and the likely long-term answer, but I believe there are some details I'm not totally aware of yet and they've been sold on the .ost recovery option. I'll know more about the specifics tomorrow, but I believe someone already stood up a new Exchange server to get mail flowing and want to get things migrated back in before making major decisions.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Cavepimp posted:

I've got a (new) client that just got hosed by their previous outsourced IT and find themselves in a position where their Exchange server got fried and have no recent backups

This is what terrifies me about hosted Exchange. Is O365 the least terrifying option now?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I don't personally have any experience with hosted Exchange. I'm used to managing on-prem servers due to concerns about having our data on our own systems, so I'd have the same reservations personally.

Then again, I've always made sure our backups were solid and our infrastructure wasn't as flimsy as these guys' is/was.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

carlcarlson posted:

This is what terrifies me about hosted Exchange. Is O365 the least terrifying option now?

Hosted Exchange is fine if it's literally an Exchange server that someone is hosting and you can touch it or at least get backup reports on it. The multitenant poo poo, forget it, who knows what's going on there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

carlcarlson posted:

Microsoft certainly has the most to lose in terms of the PR shitstorm that comes from losing someone's data. O365 certainly does have it's share of service interruptions, but I haven't heard any large scale horror stories of "MICROSOFT LOST ALL MY EMAIL", particularly compared to random 3rd party hoster.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Microsoft certainly has the most to lose in terms of the PR shitstorm that comes from losing someone's data. O365 certainly does have it's share of service interruptions, but I haven't heard any large scale horror stories of "MICROSOFT LOST ALL MY EMAIL", particularly compared to random 3rd party hoster.

Ahh... I have definitely heard of O365 losing mailboxes full of data.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hosted always-on high-tech tiered-backup redundant can mean a good datacenter or an unventilated closet in the fourth subbasement of a skyscraper that is the waking nightmare and responsibility of someone in the Working In IT thread.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh god dammit.

Got an email from our HR director this morning; he is unable to email another HR director in our north american group of companies; gets a bounceback from their spam filter.

code:
Hello gave this error:
host exchangemailboxserver1.ourdomain.local [xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq] from RFC2606 reserved domain #121 (s0K6NB246560277000) 
The admin who set up our 2013 environment (who is out the door next week, so this is my problem now) had our ISP put the full hostnames with our internal tld into the PTR record of the external NAT IP, so their spam filter is saying "gently caress you" because the PTR lookup pulls in a .local address, which RFC2606 says hell no to. It's been like this since April of last year when the 2013 got stood up. Yes, I know, .local is no longer recommended for internal domain names, but I didn't set it up so I gotta deal with it.

We haven't even migrated anyone except IT and a few test users to it, but we do route another company through it so who knows how many loving emails are getting bounced back/dropped by highly restrictive spam filters. Time to put in a ticket with Level3 to get the PTR fixed.

I know enough exchange/email to get myself into and out of a little bit of trouble, but I suspect I'll be posting in this thread more often from here on out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Move your DNS to AWS Route 53 so you don't have to deal with your ISP any time you want to make a change. Set the TTL to 60s.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Move your DNS to AWS Route 53 so you don't have to deal with your ISP any time you want to make a change. Set the TTL to 60s.

This is reverse DNS so I'm not sure if there's any way of having your ISP delegate it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can. I guess it would depend on the ISP. I haven't had a problem with the major ones I've dealt with.

https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/route-53-reverse-dns/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The more you know. I will try that with our provider and see what happens.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I also have this exact problem. You've just helped me out too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

devmd01 posted:

Oh god dammit.

Got an email from our HR director this morning; he is unable to email another HR director in our north american group of companies; gets a bounceback from their spam filter.

code:
Hello gave this error:
host exchangemailboxserver1.ourdomain.local [xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq] from RFC2606 reserved domain #121 (s0K6NB246560277000) 
The admin who set up our 2013 environment (who is out the door next week, so this is my problem now) had our ISP put the full hostnames with our internal tld into the PTR record of the external NAT IP, so their spam filter is saying "gently caress you" because the PTR lookup pulls in a .local address, which RFC2606 says hell no to. It's been like this since April of last year when the 2013 got stood up. Yes, I know, .local is no longer recommended for internal domain names, but I didn't set it up so I gotta deal with it.

We haven't even migrated anyone except IT and a few test users to it, but we do route another company through it so who knows how many loving emails are getting bounced back/dropped by highly restrictive spam filters. Time to put in a ticket with Level3 to get the PTR fixed.

I know enough exchange/email to get myself into and out of a little bit of trouble, but I suspect I'll be posting in this thread more often from here on out.

Half if this is moonspeak to me. I have so much to learn :smith:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

devmd01 posted:

The admin who set up our 2013 environment (who is out the door next week, so this is my problem now) had our ISP put the full hostnames with our internal tld into the PTR record of the external NAT IP

... Why? :psyduck:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Because he neglected to put mail.domain.com as the HELO on the internet send connector.

Oh yeah, I also discovered yesterday that he never did the windows clustering performance tuning for failure timeouts you're supposed to do when virtualized, so the dag cluster was failing and recovering when snapshots for backups were taken.

Every. Single. Night.

I also need to set up our SPF record since there isn't any, but that's going to take a bit more legwork and coordination with another company in our group.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How many users do you have?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Inbound is Appriver for everything, feeding in to the new 2013 environment with send connectors routing everything appropriately.

160 on a single exchange 2010 box, separate company that we manage on a separate forest. Routes through our 2013.

250 on another exchange 2010 setup with dags/nlb for cas/owa. Officially the company I work for, on yet a other forest.

20 or so test users from both orgs/IT on the new 2013 with site redundant cas/dag and external gslb for inbound (on my to-do list). This is in yet a third goddamn forest, we are collapsing all users/servers to this domain by the end of the year, I've got my work cut out for me. This is the one that the dag cluster wasn't tuned.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's quite a big company to have an Exchange guy that doesn't see a problem with using a .local in reverse DNS entries.

Did you have someone that left and this person stepped up or what?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Potato Salad posted:

Half if this is moonspeak to me. I have so much to learn :smith:

It just takes time, things will click eventually. I had pretty much zero exchange experience beyond creating dls/user account fuckery as of two years ago, but as I've jumped a couple of jobs since then I've had opportunities to get more in depth.

I'm hoping with our environment consolidation I can powershell the hell out of the migration process, but I may not have the time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

That's quite a big company to have an Exchange guy that doesn't see a problem with using a .local in reverse DNS entries.

Did you have someone that left and this person stepped up or what?

He was hired in as sr admin a year and 5 months ago, we were working together at a previous job and he helped bring me over a year ago. Nice guy, has some good knowledge, but his work ethic isn't the strongest. He's out the door to another opportunity at the end of this week, so I expect I'll get the promotion to sr soon.

Hell I should probably start my own thread for "devmd01s medium size business it operation fuckery"

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
O365 questions:

1) What backup providers should I be looking at? Cloudally? Cloudfinder? Mimecast? Something else entirely?

2) Weird question: do any of them have the capability of backing up one mailbox, with that mailbox's credentials, without involving an admin?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

KS posted:

O365 questions:

1) What backup providers should I be looking at? Cloudally? Cloudfinder? Mimecast? Something else entirely?

2) Weird question: do any of them have the capability of backing up one mailbox, with that mailbox's credentials, without involving an admin?

1. Cloudfinder and maybe backupify (now owned by datto)
2. I don't think so. at least cloudfinder and cloudally use impersonation.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

I had an "urgent" request to wipe an ex-employee's phone last night. I can see that the device wipe request was sent, but no acknowledgement has been received.

I realise that this can be for a bunch of different reasons, but I'm of the understanding that the remote wipe happens when an invisible email is received on the device (iPhone). If service desk had already changed his password before I got the chance to send the remote wipe, his phone would be unable to receive emails as his account would have the wrong credentials on his phone. Would this block that remote wipe from being received?

I know that he could have also just removed the work email account from his phone, but this was all within an hour or two of him being suddenly unemployed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The password change shouldn't matter, but you can use Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics to see some detailed statistics about the last time the device synced and so on.

If they removed the account from the phone or the pairing is broken, then there isn't much you can do. Exchange native Mobile Device Management is kind of poo poo, to be honest.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have received reports from a client that multiple users who accept meeting requests on mobile devices have those meetings "disappear"

- Happening on iOS and Android + Exchange 2010
- Happening to the same users multiple times, but not every time
- When they accept the meeting the organizer does receive an accepted notification
- Accepting meetings works as expected on the desktop/OWA.

I work with a lot of (small) Exchange 2010 environments and have not seen such a problem since probably the Exch 2003 / blackberry / windows mobile 6 days.

What else should I be asking, checking?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Event and system logs on your CAS server, also check your patch level on your CAS servers for both OS and Exchange. My bet is on outdated Exchange.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Event and system logs on your CAS server, also check your patch level on your CAS servers for both OS and Exchange. My bet is on outdated Exchange.

oh wow you weren't kidding

on a completely unrelated note what will break if I do 3 years' worth of CUs at once

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

on a completely unrelated note what will break if I do 3 years' worth of CUs at once

One way to find out :getin:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Make sure you export your certificates and make note of what they were assigned to.

If you have any customizations on your CAS server (web.config redirects, for instance) those will probably get lost too, so back up your virtual directories.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Cool, cool.

Also there's a BES here yay.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Also there's a BES here yay.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU