Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

kde is fugly klunky poo poo, how can anyone seriously defend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
listen folks im not a programmer or whatever. i use Linux on the Desktop to do normal computer poo poo. I word process. Desktop Publish. Graphic Design. VOIP client. i dont know how it is in the domain of the brilliant nerdmasters who run this forum who only need 8 tiles terminals - but that's not my use case!!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Gtk is.total trash. QT fo lyfe

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Seriously GTK is slow as gently caress, costs useless resources, and generally is behind qt so far its not even funny

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Smythe posted:

listen folks im not a programmer or whatever. i use Linux on the Desktop to do normal computer poo poo. I word process. Desktop Publish. Graphic Design. VOIP client. i dont know how it is in the domain of the brilliant nerdmasters who run this forum who only need 8 tiles terminals - but that's not my use case!!

all of these things are better with windows

publishing (other than scribus) and graphic design especially are also better if you use the operating system windows

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

publishing (other than scribus) and graphic design especially are also better if you use the operating system windows

Gimp is free

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

theultimo posted:

Gimp is free

it's also bad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

if you do any graphics design work more complicated than making new panels for you're terrible web comic just pirate buy rent photoshop, scrub

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
kde looks really good, but for some reason the windows key doesn't work.

also it has a clipboard history feature which cannot be disabled and is super cool and good because it also saves passwords from your password manager

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
every time i tried kde i couldn't stop the control panel from crashing, no matter the distro. i keep wanting to like it because it doesn't look bad on the surface, but once i dig deeper it's like unwrapping a turd

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im flying over desktops and using the expose clone at over 9000 APM. ive got file browsers with tabs galore. ive got 2 monitors and software out the rear end baby. GNOME 3 lifestyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlO46-aWwA

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Wheany posted:

Because this [thing] has been localized to 36 languages! *

*(in 2006 by bored students and has not been updated since. 1/3 of the localization keys used in the language file are no longer used and 1/3 of the current keys do not have translations in the language file)

sounds like someone needs to start the wiki.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*flying through desktops an d creating content* Gnome 3.... Power... Lifestyle... Free software... *2001 wormhole scene but instead of stars its cool Free and Open Source Software Icons flying by in the reflection on the helmet* Chromium... Inkscape... Libreoffice.. GImp...ZOIPER.. Chromium,....PDFCHain...KDENLIVE...Audacity.... *SPace baby but its Richard Stallman*

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Integration. KDE is well integrated with many applications of all kinds. Applications do not have to be written specifically for KDE, and all of the applications that are typically part of the GNOME desktop also work just fine in KDE. Applications like the Thunderbird email application and the Firefox web browser work just as well on the KDE desktop as any other and can be specified as default applications for KDE.

Looks. I like the many ways in which I can change the look of the KDE Plasma workspace. Sometimes I like to set colors and looks to suit my moods. Icons, widgets, fonts, pointers, the window decorations, and much more can also be changed, and I can download and install new ones if those already installed are not right for me. Window decorations define the look of the borders and buttons on the window frame. Widgets are the buttons, sliders, and general look of the applications within the windows. Color schemes and other styles can be saved and used later when my mood changes again.

Flexibility. More importantly than just the way it looks, I can change the way KDE works. One or two clicks to open files and folders, Bluetooth and other connectivity can be configured easily, and power management can be adjusted. I also like the various configuration options for multiple monitors, which is very helpful when giving presentations using a projector. KDE allows me to define the functions of the mouse buttons, how windows behave, and how to deal with new devices that are plugged in such as whether to mount them if they are storage devices and which applications to open automatically.

Konsole. Konsole is a kick-butt terminal emulator program for the desktop. Konsole is an excellent example of the Linux Philosophy's tenet, "Each program should do one thing and do it very well." It was written for KDE, but it can also run on other desktops. And here is where the GUI desktop combines with the CLI to enhance my admin-fu. The feature I find most useful is the fact that the Konsole window allows for multiple tabs with a separate terminal session in each tab. I can login to the local host as root in the terminal of one tab, a non-root user in another tab, different hosts for two or three other tabs, and switch between them by clicking on the desired tab. I usually have tabs open with sessions for root on my local host, a root session on my web and email server, and a local, non-root session for development—all in a single window.

Widgets. There are widgets for almost anything and they can be added to the desktop and moved around to wherever you want them. There are widgets for monitoring various aspects of the system's health, the weather, various types of calculators, clocks, news feeds, messaging, and much more. These widgets can make the desktop a veritable sandbox of toys and useful information.

Multiple desktops. We Virgos like to be organized, and a single desktop can become cluttered and disorganized rather quickly with many programs and windows open. I have been using multiple desktops for years with KDE and usually have one main desktop I use for typical user stuff like email, web browsing, and writing documents like this one. I use another desktop for development of new scripts and modification of old ones as well as testing them in virtual machines. This helps me keep things a bit separate and organized in a way that I can find things fairly easily. I have another desktop set aside for transient tasks that I want to be kept together but that do not fit the other desktops.

Showing off. What is the point in having multiple desktops if you can't show off a bit when switching between them. I have my desktops configured so that they appear as if they were on a the faces of a cube and switching between them rotates the cube. This has no real practical value, but I do occasionally like to show off for my non-Linux friends. I could also choose a sphere or cylinder for this.

Fun. KDE provides many desktop effects if you have an appropriate video adapter. Effects include things like "Wobbly Windows," where the windows jiggle like Jello when moved. Other effects include various animations like shattering, fading, and gliding when windows are opened, minimized, maximized, and closed.

My way! I can have it my way—any way I want it. I don't use many of the advanced visual features of KDE very frequently, but sometimes I like to do so as much for fun as any other reason. And fun is an important part of the computer experience as well as life in general. However, other features are key to making the many hours I spend each day on my computer comfortable, efficient and easy. Multiple desktops, defining mouse button actions, the widgets on the KDE panel, and many of the other interactions I have with the user interface help to define the experience I have while I work and play.

I have tried many different desktop GUIs. KDE is the only one that I can configure to work in the specific ways that allow me to work in the manner that is most comfortable and efficient for me. I like to have a lot of choices, and KDE provides that. KDE can look and work like CDE on Solaris, like Windows, or something different entirely. For me, KDE is all about having the flexibility and the freedom to work any way I want, and to change that when necessary or or just on a whim

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
"I used to be a KDE user. I thought KDE 4.0 was such a disaster I switched to GNOME. I hate the fact that my right button doesn't do what I want it to do. But the whole "break everything" model is painful for users and they can choose to use something else.

I realise the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly. They did so many changes it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be the right decision in the end and I will re-try KDE, but I suspect I'm not the only person they lost."

Gnome 2.3 was a perfect DE if you use computers the way god intended – for programming. Gnome 2.3 should have gotten Nobel Prize. The usability and flexibility was perfect. We could use any work process. The running programs showed in little icon on the task bar and they had labels/titles to tell me which directory the Nautilus is in or the terminal is in or which document is open in the Writer. This essential information is all gone. Unity is a DE which is imposing on the user work processes. Yes it sound like a philosophy that might come from a large unnamed company from which all Linux users tried to get away from. Alas Unity does exactly that. But it gets worse. Gnome 3.0 in an attempt of moving to cell phones and tablets just as Unity is imposing a work process on the user. In Gnome 3.0 if you open multiple terminals you have no idea what directory they are in. This imposition of work processes (and Gnome 3.0 and Unity are proud of it) are exactly the reasons why we ran away from Microsoft. Alas, Gnome and Unity are not listening to users anymore. I have patiently spent weeks trying to adapt to Gnome 3.0 and Unity, but they are unusable for programmers. Great to find and open a game – but not for programmers. Remember from Gnome 2.3 where the running programs showed in little icon on the task bar and they had labels/titles to tell me which directory the Nautilus is in or the terminal is in or which document is open in the Writer. This essential information is all gone from Unity and Gnome 3.0. They dreamed up work process for us to use. Just like Microsoft 10 years ago. I am now looking for anything that excludes Unity or Gnome 3.0. That is why I am looking at KDE the last DE usable by programmers.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

blowfish posted:

if you do any graphics design work more complicated than making new panels for you're terrible web comic just pirate buy rent photoshop, scrub

krita is p. good if you are doing digital illustration

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah it's alright. also idk why single-window mode isn't gimps default

blowfish posted:

nah. don't give adobe money (tho its less bad if it's someone elses money). you can make great work with whatever tools, it's incidental. needlessly paying for things when your needs are suited is scrub poo poo.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gnome 3 is the king of desktop environments

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
KDE 3 and 4 looked like plastic trash

KDE 5 actually looks pretty

lol forever @ this Akonadi garbage tho jfc

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

OldAlias posted:

yeah it's alright. also idk why single-window mode isn't gimps default

nah. don't give adobe money (tho its less bad if it's someone elses money). you can make great work with whatever tools, it's incidental. needlessly paying for things when your needs are suited is scrub poo poo.

Lightroom is a loving fantastic product and easily worth the $10 a month it takes to get it and photoshop together
gently caress dealing with photos any other way

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
[quote="theultimo" post="454980598"]
Konsole. Konsole is a kick-butt terminal emulator program for the desktop. Konsole is an excellent example of the Linux Philosophy's tenet, "Each program should do one thing and do it very well." It was written for KDE, but it can also run on other desktops. And here is where the GUI desktop combines with the CLI to enhance my admin-fu. The feature I find most useful is the fact that the Konsole window allows for multiple tabs with a separate terminal session in each tab. I can login to the local host as root in the terminal of one tab, a non-root user in another tab, different hosts for two or three other tabs, and switch between them by clicking on the desired tab. I usually have tabs open with sessions for root on my local host, a root session on my web and email server, and a local, non-root session for development—all in a single window.
/quote]

wtf?????! get you some mother loving tmux scrub

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:same:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

https://lwn.net/Articles/671171/

KDE's media indexing service runs a captive MySQL server (which gets really fun when MySQL gets upgraded and its on-disk format needs to be migrated)
It defines a gratuitous custom IPC protocol which is some horrible bastardization of IMAP of all things
Yet it still requires clients to do the equivalent of a SELECT * from the data store and do filtering themselves

:psyduck:

this is some TDWTF poo poo right here

the mysql-based thing replaced something even more terrible.

the predecessor, nepomuk, was 100% rdf based. do you know how to query rdf? neither do i. and of course it required some kind of bizarro rdf database:

quote:

OpenLink Virtuoso is a next-generation Universal Server that facilitates the development and deployment of a new generation of Enterprise-wide, Internet, Intranet, and Extranet-based solutions, transcending prevalent enterprise challenge areas such as Disparate Databases and Data Sources, Web Service Composition, and Business Process Management.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the mysql-based thing replaced something even more terrible.

the predecessor, nepomuk, was 100% rdf based. do you know how to query rdf? neither do i. and of course it required some kind of bizarro rdf database:

every rdf database is weird, i learned rdf a fuckin' decade ago to deal with adobe's rdf-based "xmp" exif metadata replacement

in case you wanted to know about how adobe + rdf + xml was to use: it was bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

*flying through desktops an d creating content* Gnome 3.... Power... Lifestyle... Free software... *2001 wormhole scene but instead of stars its cool Free and Open Source Software Icons flying by in the reflection on the helmet* Chromium... Inkscape... Libreoffice.. GImp...ZOIPER.. Chromium,....PDFCHain...KDENLIVE...Audacity.... *SPace baby but its Richard Stallman*
http://whatcanidoforfedora.org/en#the-desktop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

smythe was wrong

so very wrong

I compiled olvwm yesterday so I could use the best window manager, but it needs some font or something too, once I figure it out I'll file a bug so NetBSD can update their prerequisite database

looking forward to writing twittool using OLIT

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

blowfish posted:

not by much though, Windows and Linux are both decidedly scrub tier

if you want to do user type things in a pro fashion you use a Mac or iOS device

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

theultimo posted:

Gtk is.total trash. QT fo lyfe
too bad most qt apps are very bad

i know like a handful that are useable

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
also i gave budgie a spin, some new hot poo poo from solus linux that uses a lot of gnome stuff

its surprisingly good actually

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What is Googs using on Chrome OS these days, hasn't anyone looked at taking that and spinning into a full desktop toolkit?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

2016 year of linux spinsters on the desktop

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

What is Googs using on Chrome OS these days, hasn't anyone looked at taking that and spinning into a full desktop toolkit?

Custom everything for the web.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

so very wrong

I compiled olvwm yesterday so I could use the best window manager, but it needs some font or something too, once I figure it out I'll file a bug so NetBSD can update their prerequisite database

looking forward to writing twittool using OLIT

olvwm owns

you probably need the font-misc-misc package, that appears to be where they bury all the bitmap fonts

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Gnome 3 Supremacy

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

olvwm owns

you probably need the font-misc-misc package, that appears to be where they bury all the bitmap fonts

font-misc-misc :negative:

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

doin' good, guys

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

Gnome 3 Supremacy

Gnome 3 hosed the ui universe so badly there is more window managers now then ever, just because gnome 2 was that good.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

craisins posted:

doin' good, guys

lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So who was the goon working on that desktop version of android for tiny rasberry pi PCs?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/remix-os-a-multi-tasking-windowed-android-os-can-now-run-on-your-pc/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/android-on-the-desktop-not-really-good-but-better-than-youd-think/2/

A company called "Jide" has forked Android and built a customized variant designed to handle the desktop use case: Remix OS. This spin on Android 5.1 takes the OS and turns it into a windowed desktop operating system. Apps that used to be full screen monsters now live in small, draggable, resizeable windows. There's a desktop full of app icons, a bottom task bar, a right-click menu, a system tray, and even an analog to the Windows Start Menu. Somehow, it seems Remix OS is able to pass Google's Android compatibility tests—Google Play and all the other Google apps come packed-in.

Apps live in windows, which all get title bars with Windows-style "Minimize," "Maximize," and "Close" buttons on the right-hand side, while the left side of a title bar gets Android's back button. Windows can be resized the way you would expect: by hovering your mouse along the edge of a window and dragging. Android apps tend to automatically pick "phone" or "tablet" layouts depending on the size of the window, but the apps usually don't respond well to on-the-fly resizing, though. Most of the time they'll just ignore the added space and stick to their original size—embiggen a window and there will be a big blank spot; shrink a window and the UI elements get crushed together and start to overlap. If you want the app to be redrawn properly, you have to resize it, close it, and open it again.

A lot of Remix OS is like this—it adds desktop functionality to Android, but the apps are blissfully unaware of it. Apps know about "phone" or "tablet" modes and not much else, so Remix tends to be a well-designed desktop interface with a bunch of dumb apps inside of window boxes.

Maximizing windows isn't ideal, either. You get really big tablet apps that often don't act the way you want them to when they're on a large desktop computer screen. Chrome, since it is "tablet Chrome" and not "desktop Chrome," will zoom in on a webpage to fill the screen. Tablet Chrome is used to rendering sites on much smaller screens, so you don't get any left and right margins, no matter how big your monitor is. On the Ars homepage, this means you'll see about two stories above the fold when you should see about six. There's no way to zoom out to a view that would be more reasonable on a large monitor, so it's best to keep Chrome in a window. Most apps are like this—maximizing just makes things bigger, rather than showing more content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
wow it almost has all the same things that make windows 8 and 10 poo poo