Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vyst posted:

I love lastpass. it well earns the subscription

As far as app functionality goes, I think it's miles ahead of everything else

A lot of people are not happy with the recentish hack, and who they are now owned by

I'm not one of them, and still use it (until I have a real reason to switch) but its an argument that has been done to death on here already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I removed es explorer now that they seem adamant to cram even more "traps" in their interface, on the OP there are other two suggestions fx explorer that is paid (I'm ok with it) and solid explorer that the op don't seem certain if it's good. What would be the downside of solid explorer? Lack of network browsing or something?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
FX has a 1 week (I think) trial, so you just download them both and give it a shot. I tried Solid when I thought something was wrong with FX (it wasn't, was my network) and just was really turned off when navigating through it. Nothing specific that I remember, just personal preference stuff.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

program666 posted:

I removed es explorer now that they seem adamant to cram even more "traps" in their interface, on the OP there are other two suggestions fx explorer that is paid (I'm ok with it) and solid explorer that the op don't seem certain if it's good. What would be the downside of solid explorer? Lack of network browsing or something?

Just use airdroid, it's so much nicer than anything else I've used.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
How do you stream content from your networked devices with AirDroid? It's 90% of what I use a file explorer for and I don't see a way to do it in AirDroid (plus without signing in you'd have to get up and scan the QR code).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Thanks for the responses. Also maybe I should pm the OP to remove es explorer asap right? Now there is a button there that take you to one of their "optimizers" that stay to the left of the file list but slightly over the file icons, obscuring part of it.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

uPen posted:

Just use airdroid, it's so much nicer than anything else I've used.

Not really digging the interface. Any other suggestions in terms of a solid and simple local and network file explorer? ES explorer this time a year ago was perfect. If they offered a paid version without the bullshit I'd be all about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've found the Asus one works fine and looks okay. You don't need an Asus phone to run it just grab it from the store.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just try them out and see which one you like best?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

program666 posted:

What would be the downside of solid explorer? Lack of network browsing or something?

No downside, it's a great app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

No downside, it's a great app.

Like DemonMage, I find the navigation to be quite limiting unless they finally got rid of that awful two pane limitation it used to have.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Tots posted:

Not really digging the interface. Any other suggestions in terms of a solid and simple local and network file explorer? ES explorer this time a year ago was perfect. If they offered a paid version without the bullshit I'd be all about it.

I've been using Root Explorer since Froyo or so, and have never had any complaints about it. It's paid, but they offer a free version, Explorer, that doesn't do the root part.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tots posted:

Isn't that what this is? I tried a few of the alternatives when ES went to poo poo, but I came back to the Pro version. Alternatively you could try to find a year old APK for the normal version and just uncheck auto-update in the play store.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Isn't that what this is? I tried a few of the alternatives when ES went to poo poo, but I came back to the Pro version. Alternatively you could try to find a year old APK for the normal version and just uncheck auto-update in the play store.

Oh wow how about that. Purchasing now with my hard earned google survey money. Thanks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Google should just rename Rewards to "Have you been to Walgreens lately?"

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

XIII posted:

Google should just rename Rewards to "Have you been to Walgreens lately?"

When was the last time you visited Home Depot?
Do you play the clarinet?
Do you subscribe to any of these clearly fictitious magazines?

Thanks for the funbucks, Google!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
It keeps asking me whether I've been to one of several auto parts stores recently. The one time I actually had was very exciting.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The rear end Stooge posted:

It keeps asking me whether I've been to one of several auto parts stores recently. The one time I actually had was very exciting.

Keep in mind "More than a month ago" is one of the answer choices, so be sure to milk that AutoZone visit for all the extra pennies you can.

EDIT: GUYS, THEY'RE WATCHING ME!!! I just got a "Been to Walgreens lately?" survey. If this is my final post, tell the world what really happened here.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 14, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Like DemonMage, I find the navigation to be quite limiting unless they finally got rid of that awful two pane limitation it used to have.

I feel like I've asked you this before, but what kind of things are you doing in a file explorer that require more than 2 panes?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I feel like I've asked you this before, but what kind of things are you doing in a file explorer that require more than 2 panes?

http://i.imgur.com/iVHfwLc.webm

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Prize Loser posted:

Do you subscribe to any of these clearly fictitious magazines?

Thanks for the funbucks, Google!

I work across the street from a Hyatt hotel, I get asked virtually every day if I've been there. I've run out of apps to buy with my credit...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Rev posted:

I work across the street from a Hyatt hotel, I get asked virtually every day if I've been there. I've run out of apps to buy with my credit...

Yea every time I drive by Publix, not even go in I get them.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've gotten more than one survey since I got my 6p shortly after it came out.

My precious Google pennies :(

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So wait do I get more google surveys if I leave my GPS on?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Daily Forecast posted:

So wait do I get more google surveys if I leave my GPS on?

You have to have location reporting on I believe.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Geektox posted:

You have to have location reporting on I believe.

I've been getting them only very occasionally, but I leave my GPS off whenever I'm not actually using it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daily Forecast posted:

I've been getting them only very occasionally, but I leave my GPS off whenever I'm not actually using it.

Turning off the GPS radio isn't really advisable. If an app constantly hogs it, you need to just disable that app instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

fishmech posted:

Turning off the GPS radio isn't really advisable.

Why not? I use GPS maybe once a month. Though I guess I use it a few times a week when I bike during the summer.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Turning off the GPS radio isn't really advisable

I don't need Google knowing exactly where I am all the time, y'know

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daily Forecast posted:

You do if you want to be paid for it in reward credits. Also they know where you are from the cell tower triangulation and wifi stuff anyway so the cows are out of the barn there.

Uthor posted:

Why not? I use GPS maybe once a month. Though I guess I use it a few times a week when I bike during the summer.

Because it's not accomplishing anything of worth to turn it off. Just let it be enabled.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

Because it's not accomplishing anything of worth to turn it off. Just let it be enabled.

But it's not accomplishing anything of worth being left on, either. I still don't see why it's inadvisable to turn off a function that isn't being used 99.97% of the time.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Because stop futzing with your phone ya big doof

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uthor posted:

But it's not accomplishing anything of worth being left on, either. I still don't see why it's inadvisable to turn off a function that isn't being used 99.97% of the time.

Because there's no reason to change from the default, and the default is to leave it on. Why, specifically, are you turning it off? Why will you not just leave it on the next time you turn it on?

As stated before, if you're doing it because you have some application that repeatedly calls on it and drains battery, what you should be doing is removing the offending app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Because stop futzing with your phone ya big doof

But I don't want an iPhone!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

To be fair I'm not doing anything that requires even one pane anymore. It's just a silly restriction to have when every other file browser has a pane for everything. It's just more logical to me for there to be a pane for SMB, one for cloud services, one for the phone, etc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

To be fair I'm not doing anything that requires even one pane anymore. It's just a silly restriction to have when every other file browser has a pane for everything. It's just more logical to me for there to be a pane for SMB, one for cloud services, one for the phone, etc.

I don't know what their interface used to be like, but I think Solid does what you want now, albeit in the drawer rather than always in view.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Daily Forecast posted:

They do anyways, you're just forcing them to use more of your battery to do it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

More logical to have five panes dedicated to one thing each that you have to flip through rather than 2 panes that can do anything?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

More logical to have five panes dedicated to one thing each that you have to flip through rather than 2 panes that can do anything?

I find that more things always in the same place are easier to find than two things that could be showing anything.

Like I said, it's academic as I haven't needed a file browser in months (years?) and I was considering breaking SMB on my MacBook anyway as I haven't used it in forever but I don't know, I've just never liked Solid's developer or his UI flow. Now that there's a built-in file browser I wonder if I actually need a third party app but I know that it isn't moving data around on the device that's the problem, it's moving poo poo on and off when I change devices so there's always a rare need that AirDroid or Pushbullet can't really work around. It should be noted on OS X, Android File Transfer is so lovely that using USB to move backups on and off of devices is so unreliable that you just can't trust it so I need a way to move large amounts of files that isn't USB. The trouble is that most SMB implementations don't work well between OS X and Android either so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

They do anyways, you're just forcing them to use more of your battery to do it.
GPS is the most battery intensive method of determining your location, so not really. But more relevantly, Google's location reporting/history only uses GPS if another app is requesting a GPS-level location (e.g. Maps is open), otherwise it just uses Wi-Fi/cell. So turning GPS off doesn't cause more battery use.

But it also doesn't achieve anything and is pointless, so we do basically agree.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 15, 2016