Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Wulfling posted:

Its largely me being dumb. I went in thinking it was going to be more Metal Gear, not quite so much Devil May Cry. I love most of the DMC titles, but I didn't enjoy Rising. Bad expectations going into it, really soured the whole thing. Just like Lightning Returns. Would have been a fun game if not for the whole Dead Rising style time limit on the campaign. gently caress. That. Noise. Lemme explore an faff about doing bullshit.

I knew it was a slash em up but trying to do no damage runs against multiple enemy groups will never be fun, and any game studio that thinks otherwise needs to be zandatsu'd into very small pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

page 1278 BITCHES!!! I'll meet you guys over on the side by weekend. I ain't skipping poo poo.

You're a brave man, Dr. Smart. Not a smart man, but a brave one.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Split ships were the bomb. loving loved the Tiger and the Panther. gently caress the hell out of trying to fully equip them. Never got around to getting a Cobra though. The need to restock missiles was too irritating when combined with the scarcity of them.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
New patch out already, can't read the notes without an account.

I'm going to say it's 9 to 2435789435 g/b patch today.

parp

edit :

Special Notes:

We are aware that the elevator UI frequently provides a false-positive “server full” error message when attempting to join an instance. We are investigating the cause of these errors. The doors inside of ArcCorp and Million Mile High Club will occasionally break. As this includes the elevator doors, it can trap occupants inside.

the elevator wins.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I knew it was a slash em up but trying to do no damage runs against multiple enemy groups will never be fun, and any game studio that thinks otherwise needs to be zandatsu'd into very small pieces.

Bullshit like that is why I don't bother trying to achievement farm some games. The poo poo they want you to do is drat near impossible unless you're a machine. Or Korean.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the die-hards also usually don't realize that this thread was around mocking Star Citizen way before Derek Smart entered the ring. They just can't fathom that people might have come to these conclusions about the game completely independent of The Missives.

Actually it's better to make some famous guy (that would be yours truly) the bogey man, than the unknown anon denizens of [insert forum name here]. And if it happens to be Derek Smart, well then, you've struck Gold. Because common sense isn't the strong suit of Shitizens, let alone their masters.

I swear, given what I know, they're so hosed, it's not even funny anymore. It's coming. Two Weeks.

ps: brought to you from the guy stuck behind enemy lines on p1279

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
patch notes

quote:

Special Notes:

We are aware that the elevator UI frequently provides a false-positive “server full” error message when attempting to join an instance. We are investigating the cause of these errors. The doors inside of ArcCorp and Million Mile High Club will occasionally break. As this includes the elevator doors, it can trap occupants inside.

Contents:

Social Module:

Fixes:

Ships

Fixed the Constellation interior physics grid so it extends to include airlock boundaries.
Fixed an issue where the MISC Freelancer was missing ship computer audio feedback.

Environment
Fixed an issue where ArcCorp was streaming in very slowly or erratically.

Fixed an issue with a prop floating around under the stairs of Cubby Blast.

Technical
Made some additional improvements to the FPS performance of the Constellation Andromeda.
Fixed several causes of Error 7’s.

User Interface

Fixed an issue where the player HUD would sink slowly down, eventually becoming so low that the screen is cut off.

They are all social module fixes.

parp.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Just in case you've missed this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8KIJsNKiVw "Chris is a bit of a George lucas type" - Gary "where's my paycheque you fackin' caaahnts" oldman

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
When Derek gets to page 1304, lets all hide

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Wulfling posted:

Bullshit like that is why I don't bother trying to achievement farm some games. The poo poo they want you to do is drat near impossible unless you're a machine. Or Korean.

Agreed ^^^^

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Just in case you've missed this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8KIJsNKiVw "Chris is a bit of a George lucas type" - Gary "where's my paycheque you fackin' caaahnts" oldman

So… no idea how to write dialogue, no idea how to direct actors, no real concept of human emotion, and absolutely dead in the water without a good producer and a team of crack editors to keep him in check and tweak his flat and boring mess into something lively. Is capable of creating a masterpiece if he's kept away from the actual writing and directing.

Sounds about right.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Actually it's better to make some famous guy (that would be yours truly) the bogey man, than the unknown anon denizens of [insert forum name here]. And if it happens to be Derek Smart, well then, you've struck Gold. Because common sense isn't the strong suit of Shitizens, let alone their masters.

I swear, given what I know, they're so hosed, it's not even funny anymore. It's coming. Two Weeks.

just don't get mad that I photoshopped your face on a famous person on page 12whatever

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
So decided to try the newest patch out.

Initial loading took 6 minutes.

On High the "game" chugged, on Medium it was fine, on low, no one has eye balls, just black souless chasms akin to Sandy's

The FPS/Planetside poo poo looked better than I was expecting, but the movement felt ARMA (the first one) levels of janky. Lots of clipping of my space man's helmet/visor through his chest.

Nothing that you're supposed to interact with seemed like it was in a place that made a lot of sense. The keypad in the ARCCorp elevator is weird and makes you freeze in place until you click "back" but other players running in to youand make the buttons hide behind them, and you're frozen in place until they move so you can click "Back"

The player animations are still really bad, watching people run at a light jog's pace while being Olympic full-tilt forward is pretty funny. Watching characters flail around violently when they clip through something as they try to enter an area is even more so. Bunch of space-spastics

The flight model on the Gladiator, gladius and hornet felt pretty solid. Cutlass has improved but still feels like you're trying to fly the helicopters in GTA V while drunk.

The Constellation I tried to fly handled like a semitruck in mud.

I dunno, I think people pulling out and the negative press has done them some good, it seems like people might actually be focusing on creating actual parts of a whole than a jumble of bullshit passion projects, I'll have to try again after the buzz of 3 old fashioned's wears off to see if I still feel the same way

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

So… no idea how to write dialogue, no idea how to direct actors, no real concept of human emotion, and absolutely dead in the water without a good producer and a team of crack editors to keep him in check and tweak his flat and boring mess into something lively. Is capable of creating a masterpiece if he's kept away from the actual writing and directing.

Sounds about right.

Gary oldman eh? What a oval office.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gary oldman eh? What a oval office.

Wait. Gary Oldman… age 57 — phew. He missed the 2016 curse by 12 years.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

"Famous" might be going a little far, Derek. Famous people get recognized.

I enjoy that I can make fun of you and you won't read it until Sunday.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

Ed's note: The statement below could be interpreted as us debating the validity of the content of the emails. We are not here to do that; we simply take issue with the form they are cited in, not the context. We do not believe that the email chain, as used, is a valid source to use in an article.
INN contacted me. No further action. All they've done is add this to their post:

Told you so.

Yup

So basically they're saying that the emails aren't credible. And if they're not credible, they're saying you're lying about them.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

"Famous" might be going a little far, Derek. Famous people get recognized.

I enjoy that I can make fun of you and you won't read it until Sunday.

Famous:

quote:

adjective
having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated:
a famous writer.
Synonyms: famed, notable, illustrious.
Antonyms: unknown, obscure.
Informal. first-rate; excellent:
The singer gave a famous performance.
notorious (used pejoratively).

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

fuzzknot posted:

If Leia can do it, we all can.

Spoiler alert for Valentine's Day, Bootcha.

OPSEC OPSEC!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

Wait. Gary Oldman… age 57 — phew. He missed the 2016 curse by 12 years.

Meh, he's been phoning it in for years.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

OPSEC OPSEC!

Screw both of you and your happiness. :argh:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the $250 vanguard is now flyable but wasn't in the patch notes for some reason.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Tusk posted:

Instead of Chaos, the better question is why don't they join the Tau.

That's what I thought first time I read about them but then I read further and it's not just the hosed up Equilibrium society, if you join the Tau you are signing up for human extinction by sterilization. It's not the "in the future there is only war" that bother me, it's that the humans come off as unnecessarily and unproductively callous to their own population in a way that would quickly cause the whole thing to fall apart. I can buy an evil xenophobic government that does poo poo because it's either that or extinction but a lot of the atrocious poo poo they do including to themselves seems of dubious necessity. You'd think that these guys that have been fighting for millennia would get more cunning with time and yet they equip the Guard with completly rubbish weapons? Why waste precious human resources like that? Send less men better equipped, much cheaper and more effective.

e: all my knowledge comes from reading a bit of the wiki, I never read any novels or anything.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

these guys got no game

This looks like what remained when a heavy box fell on my old headphones. Those lasers are physically incapable of pointing forward, too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the $250 vanguard is now flyable but wasn't in the patch notes for some reason.

Wow they really just plonked a minigun right on the end there, eh?

As is the CIG motto "gently caress it, it'll do".

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

these guys got no game

What am I looking at here?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Wookie Bouquet posted:

What am I looking at here?

A visual representation of autism.

e: Are the 8 people at the front pulling the ship along, like a processional chariot?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Damnit, you ruined it. You were supposed to reply like three days from now with a big thing about how you're famous and everybody would be like "What the hell is Gam-Gam talking about now?"

Besides, if anything you're infamous :D

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
BREAKING NEWS COMING TO YOU LIVE FROM PAGE 1293

Citizen Reports Non-Delivery Issues

quote:

Dsmart,

Thanks for this site. I’m like you and many others on the scamming of RSI.

I purchased the Constellation Andromeda Physcial package on Jan 31, 2015. By Feb 7, 2015 I wanted to know where my items were at. I received the same bogus response that items are not promised until the game is finished. Funny, that wasn’t listed when I purchased the item. It just stated I would receive the physical and virtual items. No line item stating “When the game is finished”.

So, simply short, no refund.

Contacted again on Dec 30th, 2015 and Just received a response on Jan 13, 2016

“RA Collectors Boxes will be shipping in the second half of this year.”

Ok, wait, I’m confused. On their store, they are selling physical models but yet they can’t send me physical items I ordered last year? Hum…one large scamming company.

I took your advice and contacted FTC and filed a complain. I hope they all get arrested and spend time in jail.

Oh, if you go onto the forum and make a complain, they will bash the living poo poo out of you.

The French are coming. And they're pissed.

quote:

The French gaming newspaper CanardPC is about to publish their 12-pages long article about Star Citizen. Mag Cover

Even if you don’t understand French, the cover leaves few doubts about their opinion… I’m eager to read it.

Nice, CanardPC is the “EliottNess” kind when it comes to gaming journalism in France. The front page says : “SC, the secret of a cash-grab machine”

Yeah, don’t be fooled by the childish drawings of the cover, it’s actually a very grown-up-oriented newspaper.

The other subtitles read “The business of the pledge”, “The abuses in crowdfunding”, “Our feedback about the alpha”.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

D_Smart posted:

INN contacted me. No further action. All they've done is add this to their post:

Told you so.

Yup

So basically they're saying that the emails aren't credible. And if they're not credible, they're saying you're lying about them.

But you see we're not saying the emails are not not credible just that they aren't a valid source for any news article that's lying, but we're not saying the author is lying, just that he's lying about the not not credible emails even though they may be credible but not.

-

It's the most tortured bizarre "correction" I've seen. It right up there with Dan Rather's totally fake but real Bush Natl. Guard letters. I think that someone else that mentioned it is probably right, and that it was communicated to them that this wasn't an avenue they wanted to pursue.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 15, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Damnit, you ruined it. You were supposed to reply like three days from now with a big thing about how you're famous and everybody would be like "What the hell is Gam-Gam talking about now?"

Besides, if anything you're infamous :D

LOL!! Yeah. I only saw it because I open the "quote" in a new tab so that I don't lose my current place. So when I post and that new tab refreshes, I get to see some new posts. I try very hard to avoid reading them because that's like reading the back of a book first. But sometimes - like in this instance - I can't help myself.

And the infamous part? Yeah, I can agree with that in some regard :)

quote:

adjective
well known for some bad quality or deed.
"an infamous war criminal"
synonyms: notorious, disreputable; More
wicked; abominable.
"the medical council disqualified him for infamous misconduct"
synonyms: abominable, outrageous, shocking, shameful, disgraceful, dishonorable, discreditable, contemptible, unworthy; More
LAWhistorical
(of a person) deprived of all or some citizens' rights as a consequence of conviction for a serious crime.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

And so it begins :) Judging from the front cover, it won't be a flattering article.. :yarg:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

fuctifino posted:

e: Are the 8 people at the front pulling the ship along, like a processional chariot?

When Croberts was asked if a Slave style ship was inspired by Star Wars or literally used slave power, the answer was yes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Opening scene

Designer is sat at desk, putting cubes on a mess of polygons which he has elegantly named x'akluth' x:;azzz''apotu'''

designer : "There that should keep that goofy prick off my ba- HEY CHRIS DIDN'T SEE YA STANDING THERE!

Chris : .........

designer : You ok there buddy? You're uh......you're drooling a little bit....

chris: .....OOOH OOH AAAH AAAHH!!! * Starts pounding on desk*

designer : OK OK! CALM DOWN! Here have a peanut.... do you want me to show how big this ship is by drawing people stood around it doing stuff and looking busy?

Chris : ......T POSE T POSE T POSE T POOOOOOOOOSE!! HAADOI! *Pulls retarded face*

*gunshot as designer blows his head off.

FIN.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

And so it begins :) Judging from the front cover, it won't be a flattering article.. :yarg:

the website says this it's a 12-page ripper of an article but it's also "only the beginning."

fantastic! can't wait to read it.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

You'd think that these guys that have been fighting for millennia would get more cunning with time and yet they equip the Guard with completly rubbish weapons? Why waste precious human resources like that? Send less men better equipped, much cheaper and more effective.

The Imperial Guard are generally supposed to be the elite of the elite, the greatest of a world's warriors sent off to battle amongst the stars. When a regiment is founded it is a time of great celebration, and the best men and women from local forces are sifted through. They are often the only members of their planet that will ever leave the surface. They're given the best weapons, gear and training their world can give them, and supported by an entire empire devoted to helping them wage war. They believe they are leaving to fight for their god, and will almost certainly fight until the last of them is killed on some bullshit world.

The thing is though, their enemies are so incredibly deadly that even these best of the best of Humanity are often swept aside. There is only so much a man can do, even a well trained one, against a 10 foot tall ork that is genetically made for war, or a literal demon that will drive you insane by even seeing its presence.

The actual grunts you see are generally the peak of humanity, it's just that humanity isn't powerful enough for some threats, hence superhuman space marine dudes. In addition, most worlds in the imperium are pretty chill. They can easily go for thousands of years just doing their own thing, sending troops and taxes when needed, and managing their own affairs. Some are practically utopias, with technology other worlds can only dream of, and others are barren hell wastes that make mad max look pleasant.

Also lol the Vanduul. They are one of the silliest looking races I've ever seen, it's as if Chris kept sending the concept art back, "MORE SPIKES"

"MORE BLADES."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Squadron 42 comes out as a standalone game I would buy it - just to see how Roberts tries to do FMV/FlightSim gameplay in CryEngine StarEngine

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! Yeah. I only saw it because I open the "quote" in a new tab so that I don't lose my current place. So when I post and that new tab refreshes, I get to see some new posts. I try very hard to avoid reading them because that's like reading the back of a book first. But sometimes - like in this instance - I can't help myself.

And the infamous part? Yeah, I can agree with that in some regard :)

I honestly can't believe you're wading through every single shitpost in this thread. You're the hero we need.

On a related note, what happened to that guy that was re-reading the thread starting at page one because someone spent :10bux: on him? Did he die?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Okay, I watched the first minute or whatever of Around the Universe. Why even do these, Sandi, if you're not gonna read the lines beforehand? Don't stare at the paper while you're talking, especially DURING A CLOSEUP. What is this scrub tier horseshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

awesome

• Locked thread