Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SerCypher posted:

The Imperial Guard are generally supposed to be the elite of the elite, the greatest of a world's warriors sent off to battle amongst the stars. When a regiment is founded it is a time of great celebration, and the best men and women from local forces are sifted through. They are often the only members of their planet that will ever leave the surface. They're given the best weapons, gear and training their world can give them, and supported by an entire empire devoted to helping them wage war. They believe they are leaving to fight for their god, and will almost certainly fight until the last of them is killed on some bullshit world.

The thing is though, their enemies are so incredibly deadly that even these best of the best of Humanity are often swept aside. There is only so much a man can do, even a well trained one, against a 10 foot tall ork that is genetically made for war, or a literal demon that will drive you insane by even seeing its presence.

The actual grunts you see are generally the peak of humanity, it's just that humanity isn't powerful enough for some threats, hence superhuman space marine dudes. In addition, most worlds in the imperium are pretty chill. They can easily go for thousands of years just doing their own thing, sending troops and taxes when needed, and managing their own affairs. Some are practically utopias, with technology other worlds can only dream of, and others are barren hell wastes that make mad max look pleasant.

Also lol the Vanduul. They are one of the silliest looking races I've ever seen, it's as if Chris kept sending the concept art back, "MORE SPIKES"

"MORE BLADES."

Truthfully, I see the IG (pretty much my favorites, BTW) as pretty much the baseline of WH40K troops. Not particularly awesome, but no real particular weaknesses (other than basic squishyness). Da Orkz be reality-bendin' melee monSTAZ! Tau are most excellent at range. Chaos is just hosed in the head and has magicalness. (Yer a wizard, Harry! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! <chomp> ). And so on.

Humanity is basically locked in place, desperately paddling just to stay afloat. Hell, you can't even travel safely from place to place in space, as you are just hoping the Techpriests did their catechisms right and the Geller fields don't fail in the warp and the whole crew ends up dead, cannibalistic insane, fused into a giant lumpy mass of flesh, possibly all of the above... Or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

I'm french. If someone can find the actual content, I'll happily translate it all.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fuzzknot posted:

I didn't say it was for me.

I need your measurements.

Pics or it didn't happen. Oh, and NOT JPGs. We want REAL stuff. PNG or something. I dunno. Why you looking at me like that?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

All of you who are interested in the 40k lore/stories/etc should read the short story collection "Let the Galaxy Burn".

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Galaxy-Burn-Warhammer-Novels/dp/1844163423

I've read a lot of science fiction from a lot of different sources and this collection is amazing. You will really get a feel for the universe.

It contains one short story in there told from a guardsman's perspective of a tyranid invasion. The story is so well written I actually felt a little bit of the hopelessness and terror of the soldier in the story.

There's a moment, during the final defense against the tyranid horde, that a space marine chapter lands drop pods in front of his unit's position. His hope turns into utter horror as he watches what he considers literal holy angels/demigods slaughtered before his very eyes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Yes.

They are more cunning - that's why they equip their cannon fodder Guard (who are still supposed to be the Best of the Best) with the cheapest poo poo weapons that they can actually manufacture. The Space Marines are the less men better equipped, but they're also completely indoctrinated zealots that are hand-designed clones of the Emperor himself. They are the important ones because all technological development has been halted as the result of several Butlerian Jihad-style, as well as a fanatic intolerance of experimentation in general as a defense against the Warp seeping into someone's mind and turning them inside out into a demon. In 40k human resources are not previous - the human-occupied universe is unimaginably vast and people are cheap: equipment is the precious resource, as technology has been stunted to the degree that what can still be manufactured is done by factory machines maintained not by an understanding of how they work but simply by scripture and ritual.

Basically Space Marines are a cross between WWI British Officers and a tank, and the Imperial Guard are the everyday soldiers they spent to move a line on a map by a millimetre.

Because, if you haven't taken that millimetre, you hsven't thrown enough IG at it. What are these odds you speak of?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Samizdata posted:

Pics or it didn't happen. Oh, and NOT JPGs. We want REAL stuff. PNG or something. I dunno. Why you looking at me like that?

Since Bootcha is at hockey and not currently paying attention to the thread, everyone should post en masse before he gets back that we demand photos of him in a slave Leia costume.

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What if the french article is positive about SC?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Madcosby posted:

SA cult members will slit their own throats on the command of almighty lowtax

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Madcosby posted:

Then maybe we're more likely to have the game come out which is a fantastic outcome. I'll get to ram ships all day.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

fuzzknot posted:

Since Bootcha is at hockey and not currently paying attention to the thread, everyone should post en masse before he gets back that we demand photos of him in a slave Leia costume.

creepy

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
June, 2015

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5163598/#Comment_5163598

January, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/313012/stop-with-the-30gb-updates

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Excuse me Chris
I'm lost
I'm looking for the space port
Where my wallet gets lost
I'm looking for a home
For my malfunctioning game
I'm looking for the kleptocratic ponzi scheme

This is a warning
I'll spell it out for you
For you
This is a warning

Excuse me Sandi
I'm a dog on heat
I'm a complicated being
With bucks for you to eat
I'm a poor, starving baby
Who can fly all night
I'm a Star Citizen man
And I'm
Starting a fire

Star Ships will break your legs
Snap off your head
Star Ships will put you down
Under the ground

Excuse me Lesnick
I am trying to see
All the stretch goals of wonder your brightness can be
Return to nothingness enjoy
Just might be right
But prepare yourself
For a mechanical fright

This is a warning
For you
This is a warning
For you

Snap off your head
Under the ground
Snap off your head
Under the ground

Excuse me Derek Smart
I'm looking for a place
Where I played a part
There's nothing in a world
Where the melody is broken
There's always some way
To make a silence be spoken

Snap off your head
Under the ground
Snap off your head
Under the ground

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

spacetoaster posted:

Talk all the trash you want about GW business practices, but their boxed games are very high quality and fun.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Assassinorum-Execution-Force

My kids, (7, 10, and 16), have played these games for years and we love them. Their space hulk board game is one of the best games you can get in terms of quality and fun/strategic gameplay.

You are demonstrably the best father in all of the Imperium

(this might be a double-post, my original response didn't show up for some reason)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

presented without comment
This gives me a serious case of "Star Fremdschämen."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6242875/#Comment_6242875

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

What choice do you have? You either live in the empire, or something from the EVERYTHING else tries to eat you alive. Its an awful future, but id rather fight and die for the Empire than have a Tyranid ramming his giant spike up my rear end. Or a Tau putting his "sterilizer" in my "keester". Or the Orcs showing me how they spawn. etc etc.

Actually if you land on a slightly less insane warboss the orks are your nicest options. They are many mention of them trading basic stuff with humans and they "reproduce" by death in battle. When an ork dies his body release orks spores on decomposition. The spores then find soft ground and begin to germinate into various orkoid (greetchin, snotling, orks) forms. They are asexual.

I'm not saying you want them as neighbors but outside other not-corrupted humans they are your best choice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fuctifino posted:

For those with new Platinum accounts, please be aware that your account has to be at least 6 months old before you can see Platinum redacted messages. You can request being whitelisted by writing a thread in GBS and explaining why you feel the block should be lifted.

Goons are such merry japesters.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

creepy
Goony.

FTFY. Second one I fixed tonight. So shitpost!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

don't feel bad, my kid has developed an unhealthy fascination with trains so I've spent hours getting good at Train Simulator 2016 lately :siren::spergin::siren:

Build a giant model train set with mountains and poo poo with your kid. Long term, dad and kid project. I promise you, your kid will think your loving amazing for it. My grandpa used to do this , giant train set half the size of a room and I loved every minute of screwing around with the trains with him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress everything I'm going to keep posting the one video that very, very nearly makes 40k look actually kinda cool. Which is a fuckin miracle, but Kadebostany managed to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

Neckbeards hate the idiosyncratic trailer music choice but this was the first time I was actually excited for a 40k game and not, you know, resigned to the that I would be made to play it by friends.

But yes, all this talk about art direction is a clear sign of actual vision. People like to talk about how Chris Roberts' vision is taking SC places or whatever nonsense, but that "vision" is incredibly generic and lacking in a real authorial touch. There's simply no creativity there, not even the kind of creativity like "what would twelve year old think is loving metal and how do we bring that stupid bullshit to life" like Warhammer 40k. All they have is a vain pursuit of verisimilitude, given the almost worshipful name of "fidelity."

What a loving joke.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

why are all these guys masturbating while playing this dang game, it seems to be super common

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

If this game ever comes out and cargo loading/unloading works the way these people want it to, I will spend all of my time blowing up their ships before they can finish.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

No more so than the original.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/312994/2-1-0-publish-to-live/p2

:fella:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I don't always play video games. But when I do, I prefer Star Citizen. Stay faithful, my friends.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Since I can't remember the last time I was this entertained, I finally decided to get a custom title after only 13 years.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Regrettable posted:

If this game ever comes out and cargo loading/unloading works the way these people want it to, I will spend all of my time blowing up their ships before they can finish.

Stealing their ships before they can finish, is probably the best way to extract maximum nerd rage.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Thanks to the RSI forums, I found a video of someone assaulting a vending machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLjwx8eR5Y

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I was really hoping that was a SC video involving a vending machine spinning wildly out of control

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Everyone who has been denied a refund should go here:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1

I'm filing an FTC complaint, how's this sound for the comments:

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games launched a very successful kickstarter campaign in 2012 for a pair of online games called Star Citizen and Squadron 42 with a promised release date of November 2014. They did not release either game on time, and still have not released either game. They have sinced continued to fund their game with predatory and dishonest practices and when I recently requested a refund (in december 2015), they claimed the current "Alpha release" was enough to satisfy their requirements of a release and denied my refund. This company preys on hopes and wishes and delivers very little and has now begun to deny any refund requests. Please investigate these predatory and hopefully illegal practices.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/Fishtank/Menarik-Fish

drat 2.1 live is really bringing hot fire.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mirificus posted:

Thanks to the RSI forums, I found a video of someone assaulting a vending machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLjwx8eR5Y

God I miss college

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wulge Dickwulf:

http://boingboing.net/2016/01/14/woman-takes-photos-of-penises.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XRnZ0wGGm4

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It looks like Bitcoin is imploding. The whales are restless in the brown sea.

I hope Seraph is ok.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ (Roberts).

I know, I know, different "pipelines", but it just looks so loving bad. The base game is janky bug-ridden poo poo, but look, we've made fish! Any other company would be tied to a pole and whipped bloody if they did the same thing. It doesn't matter if the fish is already done or not, when you're this drat late on your deadline and what you do have doesn't work, you at least put up the appearance of solely focusing on the core issues to make your customers feel like you are on top of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

At least they aren't jpegs

• Locked thread