Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Explosive minigun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Sneak attack with violent (or whatever +25% damage is) gauss rifle for 5.9x~600 damage?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Explosive minigun?

Yea but what an explosive shotgun can do in two or three rounds an explosive mnigun has to do in 200 or 300 rounds. And if there was a way to get a gauss rifle with explosive rounds then maybe it might be able to out dps my shotgun.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Sneak attack with violent (or whatever +25% damage is) gauss rifle for 5.9x~600 damage?

Two-Shot Gauss Rifle with the relevant perks (inc. Deacon's) is ~(600*2)x6.5 or something. I forget how the second shot is calculated. It does enough damage to one-shot almost anything in the game, save possibly the high-level legendaries that have the appropriate resistances.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Two-Shot Gauss Rifle with the relevant perks (inc. Deacon's) is ~(600*2)x6.5 or something. I forget how the second shot is calculated. It does enough damage to one-shot almost anything in the game, save possibly the high-level legendaries that have the appropriate resistances.

The thing about the gauss rifle is that it only hits one enemy, with the explosive shotgun you hit basically everything close to that shot.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Gonkish posted:

The standard gauss with rifleman perk and best mods comes out to a little over 400 damage. The two shot modifier adds damage equal to an unmodified shot from the guass (but affected by perks). The two-shot comes out to about 600 damage total (400 + 200 from unmodded 2nd shot) then splits that total damage across 2 bullets. With two-shot, the damage number on the tooltip is the total damage, 2nd shot included, per trigger pull.

Two-shot gauss ~= 628 * 6.3 (Ninja, Sandman, Deacon perk) = 3,956

Instigating gauss ~= 408 * 6.3 * 2 = 5,141

edit- more nerd math:

Gauss base damage = 110
Shielded barrel mod = +31
Capacitor boosting coil mod = +63

Total modded base damage = 204
Damage with Rifleman 5/5 = 204 * 2 = 408

Two-shot damage bonus: +110 (base damage) * 2 (Rifleman rank 5) = +220

Total two-shot damage = 408 + 220 = 628 total, 314 per bullet

VVVVV

Dirk the Average posted:

The second shot tends to go wide in my experience. If both hit, it's better though, yeah.
I've never seen a 2nd shot from my combat rifle or gauss miss, but maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 15, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gonkish posted:

The second shot tends to go wide in my experience. If both hit, it's better though, yeah.

MarshyMcFly posted:

The thing about the gauss rifle is that it only hits one enemy, with the explosive shotgun you hit basically everything close to that shot.

Most of the time, enemies are somewhat spread out. I have yet to have an enemy actually survive a single stealth headshot, and it's trivial to just flip through targets and one-shot everything in line of sight more or less regardless of range.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
How does getting a companion to like you work? I'm trying to get killshot from macready and I just got him to admire me after helping him kill those two goons, did the big dig, cleared out the warehouses, and just dug up that dudes grave. At what level does he give me the drat perk?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

How does getting a companion to like you work? I'm trying to get killshot from macready and I just got him to admire me after helping him kill those two goons, did the big dig, cleared out the warehouses, and just dug up that dudes grave. At what level does he give me the drat perk?

I had a quest that was 'Explore the wasteland with McCready' or suchlike. It didn't actually progress until I accidentally talked to him instead of barter and he mentioned the whole sick kid thing which started the next phase.

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

They have to Idolize you before they give you their perks. Mac has a second quest and a third convo yet to go.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
loving game ate my power armor on PS4.

I had three frames and it isn't the one that shows up on the map. It was all the T45 parts from the Museum quest but upgraded. Just sitting in the repair station in Sanctuary in one save and then after two days of playing there's the next save and its gone. I spent that time linking all my settlements, adding more defense to each, power and beacons, etc and also unlocking the Castle. All this fiddly poo poo I'm not going to do again. It's probably no big deal, but it's the first major annoyance I've had so far.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I posted this a little earlier but I found an Explosive Minigun on my Rifle dude and after ignoring it for like 20 levels, I decided I was going to grind out 5 points in Heavy Gunner and 4 in Demo Expert to give it a whirl. I'm at 2/5 HG and 4/4 DE atm (level 76) and I took it out for a spin and drat, this thing rips. The only lovely part is that you're almost forced to used 3rd person because the 1st person aiming reticule is loving atrocious.

It's absolutely insane, right? I've only got 4/5 HG & 2/4 DE, and it explodes legendary Alpha Deathclaws into gibs almost immediately, only a handful of enemies live longer than a short 20-bullet burst. I don't even need to aim at enemies directly, I just aim for their feet and watch them explode. It helps to have the high-speed barrel instead of tri-barrel, the extra firing speed really makes a difference. The only downside to having bloody mess is trying to sort out which gibs have loot in them.

The explosive combat shotgun might be comparable, but in terms of sustained unending BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT madness the explosive minigun is in a league of its own. :unsmigghh:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fly Molo posted:

It's absolutely insane, right? I've only got 4/5 HG & 2/4 DE, and it explodes legendary Alpha Deathclaws into gibs almost immediately, only a handful of enemies live longer than a short 20-bullet burst. I don't even need to aim at enemies directly, I just aim for their feet and watch them explode. It helps to have the high-speed barrel instead of tri-barrel, the extra firing speed really makes a difference. The only downside to having bloody mess is trying to sort out which gibs have loot in them.

The explosive combat shotgun might be comparable, but in terms of sustained unending BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT madness the explosive minigun is in a league of its own. :unsmigghh:

Moving all of the ammo effects from New Vegas over to totally randomized drops is loving ridiculous, in my opinion. Ammo effects give you the same satisfaction, but doesn't require you to kill legendaries looking for Borderlands style loot, and also places a resource constraint on it. It doesn't help that the loot tables seemed rigged towards some sort of MMO free to play sort of thing in a goddamn single player game.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

Moving all of the ammo effects from New Vegas over to totally randomized drops is loving ridiculous, in my opinion. Ammo effects give you the same satisfaction, but doesn't require you to kill legendaries looking for Borderlands style loot, and also places a resource constraint on it. It doesn't help that the loot tables seemed rigged towards some sort of MMO free to play sort of thing in a goddamn single player game.

Yeah, the random legendaries are total horseshit and New Vegas handled it better. It had an exploding anti-material rifle, but you had to buy special exploding rounds and cherish those expensive little fuckers. Here the loot system makes no goddamn sense and results in either useless (looking at you, Nocturnal) or overpowered bullshit.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

Yea, it definitely lived up to the hype. Everything you said is why I'm loving it and there's practically no damage drop-off from range which is nuts. I'm glad I remembered to buy up all the 5mm ammo at vendors for the past few days.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

everytime i travel to rrhq d.b. runs up to tell me t.t. needs to speak with me but the only thing he does is try to sell me his lovely warez. is there something i'm missing? like triggering a quest or something?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

GET MY BELT SON posted:

is there something i'm missing?

enough spare time to type out full words?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GET MY BELT SON posted:

everytime i travel to rrhq d.b. runs up to tell me t.t. needs to speak with me but the only thing he does is try to sell me his lovely warez. is there something i'm missing? like triggering a quest or something?

Shoot them all

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

SurelyForth posted:

They have to Idolize you before they give you their perks. Mac has a second quest and a third convo yet to go.

Shenanigans. I thought it was a really good perk for not a lot of work.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Oh

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Having a weird tech problem:

my computer has two graphics cards for some reason: an intel HD Graphics 4600 and an AMD Radeon R7 M360. The intel one is absolute garbage, but it's the only one that F04 recognises. It's only running on low graphics, and with an awful framerate. Is there any way to get the game to recognise the Radeon?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Take the Intel one out? Unless it's like onboard graphics from your motherboard. You can disable it in the device manager and then Fallout should have no choice but to use the Radeon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why and how the hell do you have graphics cards for two brands in your machine without it making GBS threads the bed constantly? :psyboom:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I had three frames and it isn't the one that shows up on the map. It was all the T45 parts from the Museum quest but upgraded. Just sitting in the repair station in Sanctuary in one save and then after two days of playing there's the next save and its gone. I spent that time linking all my settlements, adding more defense to each, power and beacons, etc and also unlocking the Castle. All this fiddly poo poo I'm not going to do again. It's probably no big deal, but it's the first major annoyance I've had so far.

Did you leave a fusion core in it? Someone probably stole it and walked off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why and how the hell do you have graphics cards for two brands in your machine without it making GBS threads the bed constantly? :psyboom:

It's Intel onboard. Most do these days.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

Check around the settlement, that includes all the beds and the woods.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dogen posted:

It's Intel onboard. Most do these days.

Ah, of course :cripes:.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Make sure to plug the monitor cable to the video card rather than the motherboard.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

Take the Intel one out? Unless it's like onboard graphics from your motherboard. You can disable it in the device manager and then Fallout should have no choice but to use the Radeon

Uh do intel even make graphics cards you can take out?

But yeah, you can disable integrated graphics in the BIOS, too.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not always! My board is an idiot with no way to disable it, and I have to disable the Intel gpu in device manager because Windows 10 really hates it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh hey, an actual real patch came out with actual real bugfixes. Including the McReady perk one, boo

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1583568-fallout-4-13-beta-update/

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bholder posted:

Oh hey, an actual real patch came out with actual real bugfixes. Including the McReady perk one, boo

Still nothing about the PA recon upgrades loving things up with neutrals and friendlies

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

Still nothing about the PA recon upgrades loving things up with neutrals and friendlies
This probably won't ever be patched until the last patch and even then they'll probably forget to push the fix and several other engine bug fixes into the PC version

Be glad that's probably the only grevious bug we've seen so far

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
My sniper is not going to get it all her own way anymore...

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

I lost my Cryolator. I guess I deserve it. I think maybe I was dropping stuff on the ground for weight reasons and accidentally did it. Or something. Is there only one in the game? I am on Xbone so I can't summon a new one. :(

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Bholder posted:

quote:

• Building wires no longer uses up copper

Less copper scrounging all around!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Bholder posted:

Oh awesome they didn't fix yao guai roast melee damage yet!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A... a PATCH? Holy poo poo, Bethesda finally recovered from their NYE hangover! Rejoice!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bholder posted:

quote:

Added status menu for settlers in your settlements
:shittypop:
For real? I want to see what they actually did here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Entropic posted:

:shittypop:
For real? I want to see what they actually did here.

http://imgur.com/a/xpBb8

e- This patch can't hit consoles fast enough.

• Locked thread