Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I tend to agree but they totally could and should keep Detritus as a low-level underworld thug like he originally was for at least one season, and he could still be a well-rounded character in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A very long time ago, Pratchett used to talk about a proposal for a "Hill Street Octarines" show, in which Guards! Guards would be the pilot episode and Men at Arms would be the first series. If it ever happens, that's got to be the way to start.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hedrigall posted:

I hope if they ever make that Watch TV series, that they start out of the gate with the later, more complex stories (Feet of Clay onwards) and the full regiment of Watch characters already there. I'd die waiting a whole season or two before the best characters show up (Angua, Detritus, Cheery).

I thought they weren't going to adapt any existing Watch stories - that it would be its own thing? I kinda think that's the way to go honestly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that was what I heard/thought as well, the established characters would be in the background and the main characters in the show would be mostly new. Though at this point who loving knows.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

What's this about? (from the official TP Facebook page)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well clearly it means that his illness and death were an elaborate hoax and he's coming back!

:(

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
They have the pottery? :pray:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hedrigall posted:

What's this about? (from the official TP Facebook page)

A biography, possibly? The last Long Earth book isn't due until June.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A comprehensive fancy hardcover reprint?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Discworld Omnibus :v: ("wider than it is tall!")

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Part book, part slinky!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
It obviously looks to be some sort of autobiography, but was anything ever mentioned about such an endeavor?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

YggiDee posted:

It would cost 500 dollars, and I would buy it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hedrigall posted:

Just finished Thud!, it was good. A drat good mystery with surprising twists and turns throughout, and padded out with good subplots too (Angua vs Sally, A.E. Pessimal, etc). Kind of sad I've read my last proper Watch book, though, as I've heard Snuff is more of a Vimes solo book. :(

I hope if they ever make that Watch TV series, that they start out of the gate with the later, more complex stories (Feet of Clay onwards) and the full regiment of Watch characters already there. I'd die waiting a whole season or two before the best characters show up (Angua, Detritus, Cheery).

Thud has its detractors but in my head is one of the last of the good ones :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

sebmojo posted:

Thud has its detractors but in my head is one of the last of the good ones :smith:

Thud? It diamond.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

subx posted:

It obviously looks to be some sort of autobiography, but was anything ever mentioned about such an endeavor?

Rob posted on Twitter that they spent Terry's last day working on his biography so there's a good chance that's what this is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Thud's good apart from the terrible girls' night out c-plot.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

YggiDee posted:

The unabridged Book of Om *

* guaranteed arrowproof

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

You have to admit, that part is really bad.

It's mostly good but reading it immediately after Going Postal probably made me judge it way too harshly as GP is one of my top 5 Disc novels.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FactsAreUseless posted:

Granted. Terry's occasional forays into terrible 'oo-err' music hall style english sex comedy were reliably bad from day one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sebmojo posted:

Granted. Terry's occasional forays into terrible 'oo-err' music hall style english sex comedy were reliably bad from day one.

Counterpoint: the entire character of Nanny Ogg.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sebmojo posted:

They were terribly English if that's what you mean.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

You have to admit, that part is really bad.
Oh, it's loving terrible. The book reads so much better if you skip it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel that Cheery's best showing is in The Fifth Elephant. It's a drat fine book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The weird part of Thud! for me is always everybody's determination to break up Nobby's happy relationship as though this was the obvious right thing to do.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That part never sat right with me. Like Nobby was somehow taking advantage of her just because he was apparently the first person to ask her on a date.

It might have made more sense if, say, Nobby was taking her for granted and she was unhappy but unwilling to leave because she thought she had no chance with anyone else. As is, it has this weird "beautiful people deserve better than ugly people" undertone that seems at odds with most of the other morality lessons in the books. Nobby is a weird-looking guy with several flaws, but the books have gone out of their way to establish he's not a bad person at heart, so whats the problem with him having a hot girlfriend?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I...didn't think the girl's night out part of Thud! was that bad? I mean, it's average at worst and overall a minor part of the story, unlike Windle Poon's story in Reaper Man.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Thud has a couple of warning signs for what's about to come, but most of it's great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Could people please stop trying to one up each other over who can make the earliest retrospective diagnosis of Pterry's condition? It's insulting to the man and his memory, and more than a little sick.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The Nobby subplot in Thud to me seemed less "Uggos don't deserve hotties" and more "Sally and Angua are a couple of wankers".

Like, in the course of the book they're pretty much getting ready to murder each other over Handsome Charisma Boring Man and neither of them ever have a good word to say about anyone and spend all their time threatening to gently caress up fellow guardsmen for basic locker room jibes [meanwhile trolls and dwarves just get on with it] and Cheery is a fuckin' racist of the "oh yeah but not my mate x they're alright" variety.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thud is legitimately one of my favorite Discworld books.

I always felt that the girls night out segment had two primary purposes. It's meant to show that Nobby is a pretty good dude who has, whether by luck or by Vimes' example, overcome his upbringing. Despite Nobby's well-earned reputation, he's a good guy today. Look past Nobby and you see the good man he has slowly become.

It also shows that Angua and Sally most certainly have not overcome their demons. Scratch the veneers and they're still monsters at heart. They've softened, and they're trying to be better, but they're not. Not yet. They're still capable of monstrous acts, and even willing to be monstrous.

Thud is all about looking beneath the surface. Everyone from Nobby to Angua to Mr Shine to Vimes to the whole war itself, Thud wants you to look past the veneer and see the truth of its characters, the circumstances that they are in, and the world in which they live. The climax of the book is in a cave, for Om's sake. A cave in which, shockingly, the truth was discovered.

I am very rarely the kind of guy who catches subtext, but in Thud, it's drat near regular text.

(slight edit for clarity)

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 19, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VagueRant posted:

This just in: Monstrous Regiment is still amazing and kinda underrated and I really need to grab a paper copy of it at some point.

Ended up looking up and re-reading the part where Jackrum solves the little hostage situation, and Polly talking to him afterwards and it's SO good. The strong characterisation, the smooth prose, the moral ambiguity, the social commentary, the obscure little historical details with saloop and clasp knives, the jokes, the badassery....Man, I forgot how much I liked Jackrum. And how much I maybe shouldn't.

That's the secret about Jackrum. A lot of people who really shouldn't like him do, and he does well by his people despite being a total bastard.

ConfusedUs posted:

Thud is legitimately one of my favorite Discworld books.

I always felt that the girls night out segment had two primary purposes. It's meant to show that Nobby is a pretty good dude who has, whether by luck or by Vimes' example, overcome his upbringing. Despite Nobby's well-earned reputation, he's a good guy today. Look past Nobby and you see the good man he has slowly become.

It also shows that Angua and Sally most certainly have not overcome their demons. Scratch the veneers and they're still monsters at heart. They've softened, and they're trying to be better, but they're not. Not yet. They're still capable of monstrous acts, and even willing to be monstrous.

Thud is all about looking beneath the surface. Everyone from Nobby to Angua to Mr Shine to Vimes to the whole war itself, Thud wants you to look past the veneer and see the truth of its characters, the circumstances that they are in, and the world in which they live. The climax of the book is in a cave, for Om's sake. A cave in which, shockingly, the truth was discovered.

I am very rarely the kind of guy who catches subtext, but in Thud, it's drat near regular text.

(slight edit for clarity)

The Guarding Dark might be the purest pinnacle of Vimes' characterization.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 19, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

subx posted:

Good LORD I hope it is, I will pay all the money.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Agreed. He finally embraces that darkness in his heart. That it's a literal corrupting presence doesn't take away from the metaphorical meanings here. Sam is, in many ways, finally at peace with himself at the end of Thud.

There are a lot of parallels with the Guarding Dark and the early Watch when Angua, Detritus, and such were rookies. Steer them in the right direction, and let nature take over.

Closely supervised, of course.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's what he's doing, though. That's Vimes' whole theory of leadership. He can't be everywhere, but he can turn out a whole generation of coppers with him in the back of their heads, ready to kick them if they so much as think about stepping off the right and true and not doing their duty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

That's what he's doing, though. That's Vimes' whole theory of leadership. He can't be everywhere, but he can turn out a whole generation of coppers with him in the back of their heads, ready to kick them if they so much as think about stepping off the right and true and not doing their duty.

Do you want Gods? That's how you get Gods.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Thud is all about looking beneath the surface.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, scratch* the surface of Vimes and you'll find the Guarding Dark.

*Like wtih a rusty nail...

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 20, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Sam is, in many ways, finally at peace with himself at the end of Thud.
That explains why Snuff sucks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

That explains why Snuff sucks.

Snuffs' characterization of everyone is all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Do you want Gods? That's how you get Gods.

Hah! Particularly in Discworld.

(Never expected to see an Archer reference make sense in a Discworld context, well done.)