Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down
Quins vs Sarries match was beautiful. Farrel gurning at its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
gently caress I think o just watched bath play well! Toulon were lucky to beat them.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Just watched Saints/Tigers...BOOOO-URNS

Still a great fightback from Saints, and again a game passes without a Hartley sighting (or citing I suppose).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wondering if one of you NH types can explain this poo poo to me.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/england-rugby/six-nations-2016-eddie-jones-to-name-seven-new-faces-in-first-england-squad-20160113-gm4quk.html posted:

[Eddie] Jones was only allowed to make 11 changes to the World Cup squad because of the rules that ­govern the agreement between the Rugby Football Union and the clubs while injuries have limited some of his options with Henry Slade, Jonny May, Ed Slater and Dave Attwood all unavailable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the England coach basically announces the Elite Player Squad, made up of around 30-something players, who are ostensibly the England national team for the season. Jones at current time is restricted to changing 11 of them, although I don't think mid-season call-ups forced by injury counted towards that number. I suppose it's a way for the clubs to anticipate and prepare for the unavailability of certain players, removing the anxiety that may come with squad-naming day.

France also named their squad for the year recently, so it's probably a thing where domestic rugby is made up of privately owned clubs rather than the SANZAR nations where it's basically provincial rugby.

Oh, and now the SARU has announced they will head-hunt the next Springboks coach rather than advertise it. It is believed Jake White would have applied had that been the case.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 13, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Jake White's already done it, though, why would he want to do it again?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The theory of hereditary rugby is strong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Jake White's already done it, though, why would he want to do it again?

He probably feels that there's still more he would be able to do. If he were to apply, there's basically very little, if any, reason the SARU could turn his application down, and he would be very much a stand-out candidate over the other likely applicants.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, the England coach basically announces the Elite Player Squad, made up of around 30-something players, who are ostensibly the England national team for the season. Jones at current time is restricted to changing 11 of them, although I don't think mid-season call-ups forced by injury counted towards that number. I suppose it's a way for the clubs to anticipate and prepare for the unavailability of certain players, removing the anxiety that may come with squad-naming day.

So basically he has 30+ players available for selection each game and he can only change a third of that pool every year, barring injury? That's hosed up. Even in football the clubs don't have as much power over the national team and many of those are billion dollar businesses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The clubs have previously refused to let players go on international tours, and still sometimes refuse to release them to train with the national side. They don't want their expensive purchases disappearing for months to come back smashed up and burned out. It's a compromise that makes the coaches miserable..

Premiership football sides do it all the loving time tbh. Not worth risking their star in a useless friendly when they've got a key match the week after.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

The clubs have previously refused to let players go on international tours, and still sometimes refuse to release them to train with the national side. They don't want their expensive purchases disappearing for months to come back smashed up and burned out. It's a compromise that makes the coaches miserable..

Premiership football sides do it all the loving time tbh. Not worth risking their star in a useless friendly when they've got a key match the week after.

Sure, for friendlies, but not rarely for proper games. And also, they do it by feigning injuries, it's not actually codified as a restriction on the national team (that is both good and bad). To me it seems like a massive imbalance in favour of the clubs vs the national side, just another reason why England are rubbish.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Sure, for friendlies, but not rarely for proper games. And also, they do it by feigning injuries, it's not actually codified as a restriction on the national team (that is both good and bad). To me it seems like a massive imbalance in favour of the clubs vs the national side, just another reason why England are rubbish.

At this point, the FFR and RFU need access to a time travelling device of some sort and a one-armed man to say "and that's why you immediately take control of the contracts of the players registered to you when the game is moving towards professionalism" to them.

It just goes to show how loving on the money the SANZAR unions were in 1995.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Vagabundo posted:

At this point, the FFR and RFU need access to a time travelling device of some sort and a one-armed man to say "and that's why you immediately take control of the contracts of the players registered to you when the game is moving towards professionalism" to them.

It just goes to show how loving on the money the SANZAR unions were in 1995.

Aye, the French and English setups are hosed as far as the international game is concerned. Ireland have got their poo poo together and were well set up for the professional game, Wales are getting there with central contracts and Scotland have just remembered that the game has been professional for 20 years and are just starting to sort things out.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just wondering, how does the club game compare to the national game in people's minds over there? I know in football, many people care way more about the club than about the national team. Here, in Australian Rugby, the club game is very much secondary to the national game in peoples' minds. The discussion after every round is almost always centred around player X, playing for club Y, is better than player W playing for another club and should be in the Wallabies.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Just wondering, how does the club game compare to the national game in people's minds over there? I know in football, many people care way more about the club than about the national team. Here, in Australian Rugby, the club game is very much secondary to the national game in peoples' minds. The discussion after every round is almost always centred around player X, playing for club Y, is better than player W playing for another club and should be in the Wallabies.

Personally, while I really enjoy watching club rugby and going to see Edinburgh play (okay, enjoy can be a strong word for Edinburgh games at times) but the national game is when the serious business happens and is/should be the end goal for the players and the clubs. I understand it's tough for clubs to lose so many players to call up at times but that's more of an issue with the rugby schedule and how congested it gets.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The most important point is that soccer is terrible and full of wimps who can't take a loving hit.

Also USA number one our soccer team beat the poo poo out of Japan last year gently caress all y'all.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I don't watch soccer at all despite it being the numer one sport here. Scottish rugby is bad enough at times without subjecting myself to the dumpster fire that is Scottish football.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Scottish football is so much worse than American soccer it's amazing.

Also you beat Australia in the RWC, too. From what I remember anyway.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Scottish football is so much worse than American soccer it's amazing.

Also you beat Australia in the RWC, too. From what I remember anyway.

It's hilarious how loving terrible it is and equally depressing how much money is invested in it here. If rugby had half the fanbase and money football has here we'd be far better than we are now.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Unimpressed posted:

Just wondering, how does the club game compare to the national game in people's minds over there?

In Wales, the club game is something that only people who specifically identify as 'serious' Rugby fans will follow. There's a huge split between people who embrace professional rugby, and traditionalists who will devotedly watch their amateur and semi-pro games, but shun the regional teams. There's almost no crossover whatsoever.

The National game is Wales' equivalent of Military Service. Even if you can't name a single current player, someone in your family will make sure that it's your duty to watch the match.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

When's Superugby start again? I'm starting to get the itch.

Also:

http://theeastterrace.typepad.com/my_weblog/2016/01/90-of-top-refs-dont-recall-richie-mccaw-playing-for-all-blacks.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
George Fraud.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

butros posted:

When's Superugby start again? I'm starting to get the itch.

End of February.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ffs, Glasgow dominating away against Saints. but losing because we can't defend a driving maul.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Driving mauls, as currently refereed, are dumb and anti rugby.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It honestly feels highly inconsistent to allow driving mauls, when all other forms of obstruction are basically illegal.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

It honestly feels highly inconsistent to allow driving mauls, when all other forms of obstruction are basically illegal.

Exactly, it's just not rugby. Contest for the ball is the heart of the game.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Ah now, mauls are great. Driving mauls aren't the problem, indisciplined packs being unable to defend against them are.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Swan Curry posted:

Ah now, mauls are great. Driving mauls aren't the problem, indisciplined packs being unable to defend against them are.

If mauls are done properly. However, the modern maul means passing the ball back quickly then going truck and trailer.

Though the scrum is a much bigger blight on the game, and the focus should be on sorting that out.

Hey, referees! Penalise squint feeds, will ya?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching a game, you'd never know that one hand touching a player in the maul doesn't constitute binding.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Ffs, Glasgow dominating away against Saints. but losing because we can't defend a driving maul.

lovely mauling rugby wins games sadly because the modern maul are impossible to defend against. Saints looked loving terrible in anything that wasn't their maul and Glasgow couldn't kick penalties in the first half at all so terrible NH rugby wins.

edit: Swinson is also a moron and I hope the stupid prick gets cited for his punch then benched forever for basically costing Glasgow that game.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 18, 2016

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Swan Curry posted:

The Maul does break the obstruction rule.

To fix it the solution is simple (IMO): Throw out the current rules around mauls and replace it with one that says the maul is legal as long as the player holding the ball remains at the front. This would conform with the other rules of the game while still allowing the for a maul to be formed and retaining the contest for the ball.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

The Maul does break the obstruction rule.

To fix it the solution is simple (IMO): Throw out the current rules around mauls and replace it with one that says the maul is legal as long as the player holding the ball remains at the front. This would conform with the other rules of the game while still allowing the for a maul to be formed and retaining the contest for the ball.

That's how I would change it roughly, I would go for the maul cannot make forwards progress whilst the ball is not at the front. Right now the best way to defend a maul is to collapse it and hope the ref doesn't punish you, which is stupid.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So disallow the ball to be moved through the maul? The player with it when it forms is the player with it at the end, and he shouldn't magically appear with it at the back because that's not how good binding works.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
How would it ever get out of the maul then if you can't pass it back? They are a source of frustration at the minute but you have to give credit to the teams that do it well at the same time. If it was simple everyone would be scoring push over tries all the time, it takes a lot of technique and power to do it consistently but it definitely needs some cleaning up.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Yeah Glasgow are just particularly poo poo at maul defence ATM. Which is why we've already conceded six or seven tries from them since the turn of the year.

We used to just stand off and not tackle so no maul would form. But if that doesn't work we really are hosed.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The big problem I tend to see is that the front of the maul gets sacked at the start but the back 4 guys that are carrying the ball just sheer off and form a new maul, making it impossible to defend against because of the pile of players in front of them and refs rarely call them out on it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Can someone please tell me Chris Ashton's citing is bollocks and he is going to play in the new look England team? I haven't seen any footage of the incident and need some hope!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Can someone please tell me Chris Ashton's citing is bollocks and he is going to play in the new look England team? I haven't seen any footage of the incident and need some hope!

See for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ounwaeeDU

Ridiculous call by Garces not to penalise that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

How would it ever get out of the maul then if you can't pass it back? They are a source of frustration at the minute but you have to give credit to the teams that do it well at the same time. If it was simple everyone would be scoring push over tries all the time, it takes a lot of technique and power to do it consistently but it definitely needs some cleaning up.

I suppose it would end when the ballcarrier chooses to drop it because it's stationary. Easier to just make the fuckers bind properly.